Should Sox bring up Jose Iglesias for defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Should Sox bring up Jose Iglesias for defense?

While watching last night's game [Aug 4] with the Indians, in the 2nd inning a ball was hit between Youkilis and Scurato for a single. I immediately said to myself, Iglesias would  have made the play and thrown out the hitter, thus 2 runs would not have scored, at least their would have been no baserunner[s[ and quite likely no rally by the Indians for 2 runs.

My question with the Sox, couldn't they afford to play Iglesias and gain his defense and not worry about any contribution offensivly. After all  the Sox are the top hitting team in the AL.

Also while he does not have good numbers at Pawtucket, he would in all likely see better pitcher's with better control, who would be around the plate with the pitches, something that he probably does not see in Pawtucket.

Just because someone does not have a high average in AAA, does not mean he would be a complete bust at the Big league level. Also he would have big league hitters around him all the time, thus helping him read pitcher's and pitche's better. Sometimes at the minor league level, player;s develop  bad habits or just get anxious to hit, thus they swing at some bad pitches.

I think the Sox should go with his defense the rest of the year, and worry about his offense next year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Should Sox bring up Jose Iglesias for defense?

Absolutely.  Bring him on up even though the guys investing $10 million in him don't think he is ready.  And, if he not only doesn't hit but also makes errors and very few of those great plays everyone  says he can make, then we will know he isn't MLB caliber.  I mean, the guy is 21 already, almost past his peak. 

I think you are imagining what he can do, pure and simple.  Iglesias is not ready.  If the Sox call him up this month, I will go find this thread and tell you I was wrong and you are right. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Should Sox bring up Jose Iglesias for defense?:
    [QUOTE]While watching last night's game [Aug 4] with the Indians, in the 2nd inning a ball was hit between Youkilis and Scurato for a single. I immediately said to myself, Iglesias would  have made the play and thrown out the hitter, thus 2 runs would not have scored, at least their would have been no baserunner[s[ and quite likely no rally by the Indians for 2 runs. My question with the Sox, couldn't they afford to play Iglesias and gain his defense and not worry about any contribution offensivly. After all  the Sox are the top hitting team in the AL. Also while he does not have good numbers at Pawtucket, he would in all likely see better pitcher's with better control, who would be around the plate with the pitches, something that he probably does not see in Pawtucket. Just because someone does not have a high average in AAA, does not mean he would be a complete bust at the Big league level. Also he would have big league hitters around him all the time, thus helping him read pitcher's and pitche's better. Sometimes at the minor league level, player;s develop  bad habits or just get anxious to hit, thus they swing at some bad pitches. I think the Sox should go with his defense the rest of the year, and worry about his offense next year.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

I would have enjoyed seeing Jose get some more playing time before the PS.  Problem is, we already have too many SS's once Lowrie comes back which is why I feel there will be another trade at some point.  Look at kids like Reddick, some adjust to major league pitching better than the minors.  Jose has only had six AB this season, thats not much too judge the kid on.

I think we will be seeing a lot of Jose in ST.  My guess is Aviles and Iglesias will be our SS's next season, with Scuter gone and Lowrie traded.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The issue is IMO is that they think the kid has the potential to have a long MLB career and part of that will be contingent on his ability to at least put up poor numbers offensively in MLB.

You are talking about a player who is only 21 and has had a total of 571 PA's in professional US baseball, with only 287 of those being in AAA. His OBP not his BA but his OBP is .277 this season. He is an out 72% of the time right now.

Taking the extra time to allow him to develop his offensive game will pay big dividends in the years to come. Some things can't be rushed, should not be rushed.

They may well call him up in September when the rosters expand or they may have him rest up to play in the AFL. But IMHO he is not going to be put into a position where he is the starting SS for the 2011 Boston Red Sox right now. Too much pressure on a guy they think could become a staple for them later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we are in a close race in September, I think Iglesias gets called up as a late-inning defensive replacement player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Only if you feel offence is overrated.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

No.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I love defense.  It's the real poetry of baseball.  Tonight we saw a pretty poetic outfield playing for the Sox.  But we still lost because our guys could not hit.  Our MVP candidate went 0 or 4, including striking out on three pitches with the bases loaded.  And our former ace gave up 2 walks, 2 singles, and a double that handed the Yankees 3 runs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

No offense to those who call Scrubtaro a SS,but please thats like calling Tiny Tim an accomplished singer,with that said I doubt that the Sox will bring Iglesias up this year,Lowrie will have absolutely no problem replacing Scrubtaro! As for Mike Aviles if he can learn how too play the OF he will enjoy a very nice stay in Boston for awhile..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think the sox should give jose iglesias a shot. Let him start like 10 games in a row and see how he does. He cant do any worse than scutaro and we know iglesias is a lot better defensively than scutaro and its not like scutaro provides much with the bat. Look at starlin castro for example. He is the same age as iglesias. The highest level he played in the minors was AA. Iglesias hit .285 in double which is a pretty good batting average for a guy who cant hit. Starlin castro hit .288 during his first season in AA. Not a huge difference. Both starlin and jose hit for very little power. But guess what? Starlin got called up to the majors without even playing 1 game in AAA. Starlin hit .300 in his first season with the cubs and is hitting .308 this year. So I think we should definetly give jose a shot. Scutaro is crap and is much better suited to be a utility guy on the bench. Lowrie is good with the stick though he slowed down after his hot start. The problem is that he is a 2B playing ss. He does not have the range to play short. The bottom line is that the sox can hit. They have been one of the best offensive teams in the league this year. So lowrie upgrade in offense is not very important. What is important is what iglesias would bring defensively. He would be a huge upgrade over any of our shortstops defensively and has the potential to be one of the best defensive shortstops in the mlb. If there is one position where offense can and should be sacrificed for defense its ss. As someone pointed out earlier, a run scored is just as important as a run saved. Bring up jose, if he doesnt hit so be it. He will bat 9th. We dont need to worry about offensive production from the 9 spot. And who knows, maybe he will surprise everyone offensively.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Theo's handling of the SS position has been like a multi-car accident. The blame cannot be laid to all the players who've operated there or might have operated there, including Navarro. The burden of proof is on Theo. Until he successfully completes the search for a reliable long-term SS, he has zero credibility with regard to the position.
    Oddly enough, it all started with the brilliant move of replacing Nomar with Orlando Cabrera. Rarely do players new to a club make the kind of impact that Cabrera did. He stepped right in and took command of the infield, and his smart play seemed infectious. Then he was gone. Rumors were floated about his involvement with under-age girls and other players' wives.  If there were any substance to those rumors, by now there would have emerged confirming leaks. There were no reported complaints from girls or parents, or, more to the point, no confrontations between Cabrera and teammates, either in the clubhouse or elsewhere. It's impossible to keep a hat over this stuff when it has substance. The simplest explanation for Cabrera's exit is that Theo coveted Renteria and seized the opportunity to sign him. Our GM wanted an "upgrade" over the man who'd just proved that he'd found a home in Boston, could perform at a high level there, and, yes, had fit right in with the team. Then there was Lugo, another player Theo had had his eye on. Lugo was on a WS team and made a great catch in the series. But no one on this board will seriously contend that Theo should have kept Lugo around. Instead, our GM sent money to teams that were willing to take on first Renteria and then Lugo. 
    Then came Scutaro/Lowrie to Lowrie/Scutaro, neither of whom is very good at fielding one of the most important defensive positions on the field. Presumably, Scutaro was signed keep the spot warm for Iglesias, after which Lowrie would slide into a utility role or be traded.  Finally, Theo, still scratching around, traded for Aviles.  
    The gentlest description for Theo's stewardship of the position is "botched." And it ain't over. Absent the unlikely possibility that Iglesias will be handed the job at the start of ST or that yet another ( sigh ) player will be brought in from the outside ( Reyes, you say? ), Iglesias, Lowrie, and Aviles will sort of compete for the job in Florida.  Unless Iglesias receives a visit from the Miraculous Base-Hit Fairy, one of the other two will open the season at SS. Of course, Theo could deviate from his requirement that a SS must hit decently. But don't bet on it.
    The Dodgers went through a stretch like this trying to find a third baseman until Ron Cey finally nailed it down but good and had a fine career. Will Theo ever get in right? "Ever" is a long time, but given the history of the last seven years, Theo is stuck with the burden of proof. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I still say the Sox should bring up Iglesias, for his defense and do not worry about his offensive production. I realize he has not played alot in the minors and has shown no power, but we don't need him for any of that, we need his ability to make plays our other SS's cannot make, including Lowrie.

Remember a guy named Carlton Fisk, well he did alright after coming to the ML's although he was not a great minor league hitter. Sometimes a player actually does better at the big league level because he see's better pitches and does not chase balls out of the strike zone because he is over anxious to make something happen with the bat.

Forget the fact that he is only 21 and needs AB's, we are not playing him for his offensive, but for his ability to make plays. The Sox have enough offensive to carry his bat, and who knows, he may surprise with his bat. I think it is worth the gamble.

I have nothing against Scurato or Lowrie, but their defense is limited and they do not make plays to help  the Sox, but  at times by not making a play, they  prolong the inning, thus make their pitcher throw more pitches and at times lead to runs scored that a good defensive SS would make, thus saving the Sox and the pitcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

expitch has nailed it right there.  Without a good SS, defined as an excellent fielder with tolerable hitting (OPS of maybe .700), the Sox will remain a second class team. 

Funny thing is, the Sox won the WS in 2007 with a horrible SS, Lugo, as the primary starter.  And they went to the playoffs in 2005, 2008, and 2009--and very likely this year--with marginal SS's (according to expitch's definition). 

So while I kind of agree Theo's strength so far has not been acquiring a solid SS, I completely disagree that hamstrings this team. 

I'm fine with Scutaro, as I was last year.  Not great, but adequate.  And I will be more than fine if Lowrie comes back with a hot bat. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Should Sox bring up Jose Iglesias for defense?:
    [QUOTE]No offense to those who call Scrubtaro a SS,but please thats like calling Tiny Tim an accomplished singer,with that said I doubt that the Sox will bring Iglesias up this year,Lowrie will have absolutely no problem replacing Scrubtaro! As for Mike Aviles if he can learn how too play the OF he will enjoy a very nice stay in Boston for awhile..
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

If you play SS, you are a SS.  That in fact is the only criteria.

As far as Iglesias goes if my memory serves he has a total of 5 extra base hits in around 270 at bats at AAA.  If he came up here and played great D and hit 140 everyone who wants him to come up would be screaming for him to be sent back down.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Without a good SS, defined as an excellent fielder with tolerable hitting (OPS of maybe .700), the Sox will remain a second class team. 

Funny thing is, the Sox won the WS in 2007 with a horrible SS, Lugo, as the primary starter. "

Aren't you contradicting yourself??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Iglesias will be brought up in Sept. when the rosters are expanded.     This will be a preview of who the Sox SS will be going forward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

[QUOTE]I still say the Sox should bring up Iglesias, for his defense and do not worry about his offensive production. I realize he has not played alot in the minors and has shown no power, but we don't need him for any of that, we need his ability to make plays our other SS's cannot make, including Lowrie. Remember a guy named Carlton Fisk, well he did alright after coming to the ML's although he was not a great minor league hitter. Sometimes a player actually does better at the big league level because he see's better pitches and does not chase balls out of the strike zone because he is over anxious to make something happen with the bat. Forget the fact that he is only 21 and needs AB's, we are not playing him for his offensive, but for his ability to make plays. The Sox have enough offensive to carry his bat, and who knows, he may surprise with his bat. I think it is worth the gamble. I have nothing against Scurato or Lowrie, but their defense is limited and they do not make plays to help  the Sox, but  at times by not making a play, they  prolong the inning, thus make their pitcher throw more pitches and at times lead to runs scored that a good defensive SS would make, thus saving the Sox and the pitcher.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

I had forgotten that Pudge struggled as a hitter in the minorleagues and there is some similarity as Pudge was a .259 hitter in 1200+ MiLB ABs.  However, Pudge was also 24 when he arrived full time as the ROY in 1972.  He also hit .263 with a .787 OPS at Patucket in 1971 as a 23-year-old, which aren't great #s, but still considerably stronger than Iglesias (even factoring in that they are not similar hitters).    

I just think the Sox need to be patient with Iglesias.  I like the idea of a Sept call-up for defensive purposes and a few at bats when practical to help prep him for long-term success. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

did you see this guys at-bats earlier in the season. I have never seen anyone that overmatched at the plate.Give the front office a little credit. They know what they are doing. Great d but needs time, bat speed,pitch recognition, etc. Last year in limited at-bats, I didnt think Reddick would ever play at this level, but look what time and a lot of work has done for him

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]expitch has nailed it right there.  Without a good SS, defined as an excellent fielder with tolerable hitting (OPS of maybe .700), the Sox will remain a second class team. . 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Given this years performance so far, I can't see how the Sox could be considered a "second class team".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]expitch has nailed it right there.  Without a good SS, defined as an excellent fielder with tolerable hitting (OPS of maybe .700), the Sox will remain a second class team.  Funny thing is, the Sox won the WS in 2007 with a horrible SS, Lugo, as the primary starter.  And they went to the playoffs in 2005, 2008, and 2009--and very likely this year--with marginal SS's (according to expitch's definition).  So while I kind of agree Theo's strength so far has not been acquiring a solid SS, I completely disagree that hamstrings this team.  I'm fine with Scutaro, as I was last year.  Not great, but adequate.  And I will be more than fine if Lowrie comes back with a hot bat. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    I gave Theo the back of my hand about SS, as I think he deserves, but nowhere did I say that the team is hamstrung by mediocre or worse play at SS.  But better play couldn't hurt, could it?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Muddle through this season and then go for Reyes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]No offense to those who call Scrubtaro a SS,but please thats like calling Tiny Tim an accomplished singer,with that said I doubt that the Sox will bring Iglesias up this year,Lowrie will have absolutely no problem replacing Scrubtaro! As for Mike Aviles if he can learn how too play the OF he will enjoy a very nice stay in Boston for awhile..
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Re: CC....WHO'S YOUR DADDY!!!!!!!!!

posted at 8/7/2011 2:25 AM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=351545631ddbf6c53c42803b4120fe09&plckUserId=351545631ddbf6c53c42803b4120fe09">
    First: 4/8/2009
    Last: 8/7/2011
    You know the Sox had a good day when Lackey gets the win,Carl Crawford goes off for a 4 hit game and you don't hear the announcer say" just past the outstretched glove of Marco Scrubtaro" which is the normal saying when someone from the opposing team is benefitting from the efforts of our Gold Brick SS....
    Sportsbozo          

Softy does Jake, Andrewmitch does Drew, and you do Scutaro. I've got it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Re: Crawford is a bust

posted at 8/5/2011 1:47 AM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=351545631ddbf6c53c42803b4120fe09&plckUserId=351545631ddbf6c53c42803b4120fe09">
    First: 4/8/2009
    Last: 8/7/2011
    I think he's pressing too much. The worst player on this team is playing Lugo's old position.... Scrubtaro is constantly missing grounders and soft liners that just elude his glove.....The Sox should have tried harder too pry Reyes away from the Mets....I hope Lowrie is productive when he returns or maybe the brass will wake up and just bring Iglesias up and put him in at SS.
    Sportsbozo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Yes. DL Lowrie for tired shoulder.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Earlier I had lobbied for an appearance by Inglesias sooner rather than later. It was predicated on his defensive ability only. Forget the bat. As the season wore on it became apparent that our current SS, seemed to be breaking down. The backup, Yammie Navaro was playing LF,3B, SS and seemed to be developing into a hybrid player, capable of filling in at a few positions rather than just SS. He,Yammie, gets traded and now for a short time span we see Aviles at SS. I figure O.K., this is it, no Inglesias we're going with Aviles. The guy has looked O.K. in the infield so far. Then he  gets a start at 3B for Youk and low and behold he gets a start in RF against the Yanks yesterday. Doesn't matter that the guy never played OF in his major league career, just throw him out there because he bats right handed. Sutton and Navaro picked up OF errors on balls they couldn't handle last month. Playing the OF is no picnic especially for guys not used to playing there. We need a SS not a hybrid. Bring him up.

Sections
Shortcuts