Should Sox bring up Jose Iglesias for defense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Should Sox bring up Jose Iglesias for defense?

You all need to learn from the case of Jarod Saltamaccia. A player should be in the minor leagues until deemed major league ready, then given the chance to fight for a spot or the responsibility of a big league position. A back and forth, earn your keep this day, lose it the next, is bad for a developing player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Should Sox bring up Jose Iglesias for defense?:
    While watching last night's game [Aug 4] with the Indians, in the 2nd inning a ball was hit between Youkilis and Scurato for a single. I immediately said to myself, Iglesias would  have made the play and thrown out the hitter, thus 2 runs would not have scored, at least their would have been no baserunner[s[ and quite likely no rally by the Indians for 2 runs. My question with the Sox, couldn't they afford to play Iglesias and gain his defense and not worry about any contribution offensivly. After all  the Sox are the top hitting team in the AL. Also while he does not have good numbers at Pawtucket, he would in all likely see better pitcher's with better control, who would be around the plate with the pitches, something that he probably does not see in Pawtucket. Just because someone does not have a high average in AAA, does not mean he would be a complete bust at the Big league level. Also he would have big league hitters around him all the time, thus helping him read pitcher's and pitche's better. Sometimes at the minor league level, player;s develop  bad habits or just get anxious to hit, thus they swing at some bad pitches. I think the Sox should go with his defense the rest of the year, and worry about his offense next year.
    Posted by peanutandme

Nooo, we need all the lumber we can get.   At this point the only dead wood is Varitek batting left handed.  We need no automatic outs.  1-9, keep the line moving is our motto.  The pitching has not been what we hoped for with the exception of Becket.  So we will hit and slug our way thru it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Isn't this a question of probably improved defense plus probably worsened offense versus the potential damage to a young player not ready for the MFL....who is almost certainly not ready for the AL East/post-season cauldron?

I think the 2011 potential benefit is marginal, so would rather trust in a healthy Scoot/Jed and let little Joey Church develop at his own pace.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

NUSoxFan, .......Got to disagree with you on the "deemed major league ready" part of your post. Current OF'er Josh Reddick was not deemed major league ready by anyone that I recall going back to Spring Training. In order for him to get his shot he had to leap frog 4 guys. JDD, dead bat. Mike Cameron, 38, too old, diminishing skill set. D-Mac - strictly a backup, and Ryan Kalish, disabled. Fighting for a spot ....yeah, against anyone who swings RH'ed. He's fighting for a spot against a guy who never played OF in his pro career, Mike Aviles. I'm not familiar with Saltalamacchia's case but I don't think he's fighting for playing time against anyone that never caught before.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Lowrie and Scutaro will be fine. By the way Red Sox were second in the league in defense a few days ago. Am I permitted to say something good about the team here?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Should Sox bring up Jose Iglesias for defense?:
                             NUSoxFan, .......Got to disagree with you on the "deemed major league ready" part of your post. Current OF'er Josh Reddick was not deemed major league ready by anyone that I recall going back to Spring Training. In order for him to get his shot he had to leap frog 4 guys. JDD, dead bat. Mike Cameron, 38, too old, diminishing skill set. D-Mac - strictly a backup, and Ryan Kalish, disabled. Fighting for a spot ....yeah, against anyone who swings RH'ed. He's fighting for a spot against a guy who never played OF in his pro career, Mike Aviles. I'm not familiar with Saltalamacchia's case but I don't think he's fighting for playing time against anyone that never caught before.
    Posted by eggplants

Reddick is not a disprovement of my statement, organizations are not always going to correctly assess readiness, this is true, but many times it is obvious when an organization is rushing a player. Iggy has only had 1 full season in the minors.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Tonight's performance by Scutaro will only reinforce Theo's strong inclination to have a bat at SS.  As long as a game is in question, Iglesias will not be inserted late for defense. Not in Fenway, where no lead is safe.
    The idea of Iglesias as the shortstop of the future remains much in doubt until he shows a lot of improvement at the plate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Elite SS defense renders plate work unimportant. Late innings in close games with lead should be defensive SS. Iggy would be a big help near and after roster expansion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Last night it was pretty obvious the last thing the Sox need is a SS who pretends he can hit.  The sooner they dump Scutaro, the better.

And, don't forget, good defenses are strong up the middle, so Ellsbury has to go as well because he doesn't have a great arm.   As softylaw keeps telling us, move Reddick to CF and practically anyone into right field. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Should Sox bring up Jose Iglesias for defense?:
    Elite SS defense renders plate work unimportant. Late innings in close games with lead should be defensive SS. Iggy would be a big help near and after roster expansion.
    Posted by softylaw
    I doubt that you and Theo see eye to eye on this point.

Sections
Shortcuts