SHOULD TEK HAVE HIS NUMBER RETIRED?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

SHOULD TEK HAVE HIS NUMBER RETIRED?

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/kirk-minihane/2012/03/01/red-sox-would-be-wrong-retire-jason-variteks

cant believe this is even an issue but apparently it is! i say you RETIRE that baby at his retirement ceremony today at 5:30P and if not, by the end of this season. noone should ever wear that #33 ever again. 2004 and the curse speak for itself.. period! tek is the embodiment of the sox dynasty and the changing of the character of fenway. ASK a-rod. TEK stayed the longest and represents the ENTIRE era.. the only one! nothing against dwight evans or even boggs. those guys did not WIN the ring and in the case of boggs left under shaky conditions and went to play for the enemy. in 20 years, we may re-consider them but for this ownership group this should be a no-brainer!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: SHOULD TEK HAVE HIS NUMBER RETIRED?

I love Tek ... but no.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

They should retire Rico Petrocelli's number before they retire the number of a catcher who really never could hit very well. Batted .296 in 2004 and seldom came close to that number in his career.

If they start retiring numbers of every guy who was popular with the fans, they are going to need a bigger space in rightfield for all the retired numbers and soon you will see players wearing triple digits.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

No, numbers should be retired rarely and reluctantly, Tek as a player isn't among the immortals, very very few deserve the honor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

No, but on a separate but related note they SHOULD retire Pedro Martinez' 45.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Wow, another retire someone's number post.
    I'm surprised how few people understand how this works.  There are a strict set of rules the redsox have in place for retiring numbers.
    1. At least 10 years for the sox
    2. In the Baseball Hall of Fame
    It used to also be finish career with redsox, but they manage to get around that.
    The only exceptions to this rule are Johnny Pesky (and Jackie Robinson of course).  So if Tek stays with the club for 50 more years than maybe he'll get 33 retired.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Check out the numbers we have retired.....then tell me you think Tek should be in this group? If so you'll need a lot more rationale than playing for two WS Championship teams and face planting ARoid.....although both are highly commendable.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/history/retired_numbers.jsp

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Eventually his number could be retired, but certainly not any time soon.  I is the Sox all time leader in HR's as a catcher, a 4 time All-Star, and finished in the top 30 in MVP voting 5 years in a row.  He was never good at preventing runners from stealing, but part of that falls on team philosophy while he was a regular.

Give it some time to take emotion out of the decision, and don't reissue the #33 until a decision is made.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Retire it. Someday.  Now or later, I just hope I live to see it.

Unfortunately retiring a number is all about statistics. If there were some way to quantify what he brought to the Sox this wouldn't even be an issue.  He's be a shoo-in. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

How about retiring the "C" instead?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: SHOULD TEK HAVE HIS NUMBER RETIRED?:
    [QUOTE]They should retire Rico Petrocelli's number before they retire the number of a catcher who really never could hit very well. Batted .296 in 2004 and seldom came close to that number in his career. If they start retiring numbers of every guy who was popular with the fans, they are going to need a bigger space in rightfield for all the retired numbers and soon you will see players wearing triple digits.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Really Z. You're going to base a catcher's hitting ability on one stat.
    Try these stats:
    HR-RBI-BA-OPS
    20-76-.269-.813
    10-65-.248-.730
    injured, played jut 51 games
    10-61-.266-.724
    25-85-.273-.863
    18-73-.296-.872
    22-70-.281-.856
    12-55-.238-.725 (played just 103 because of injuries)
    17-68-.255-787

Pretty good numbers in his prime for a catcher who in his prime was great behind the plate.

Even the last couple of years, his numbers weren't bad for a catcher in his late 30s who was a backup.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

One day, I think the RS can pay tribute to what he has done for the franchise by not letting another player use his number for awhile. 

Numbers that will eventually be retired:

34 Ortiz
    45 Martinez

And longer down the road:
    33 Varitek
    15 Pedroia
    31 Lester

Those are the players who will one day grace the wall with the greats like Yaz, Williams and Fisk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Ortiz  5 straight years in top 5 of MVP voting Clutch Yankee killer legend!!!! Yes!

Pedro Best pitcher of a generation! Yes!!!

Varitek No!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe after another 50 years of service

Pedroia too early to tell

Lester too early to tell

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

If the Red Sox retire all the numbers of the great players they have had there won't be any numbers left.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

OK... I like Fisk think he was the best catcher in Red Sox history but he didn't stay here his whole career, (not even the majority) and I think it is questionable to retire his number. (I realize he is MLB Hall of Famer) So if you retire Pudge why not Varitek who actually played his whole career and brought two championships here as a Captain? I say retire his number which is a unique set of circumstances and I bet all the pitchers who pitched here agree.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

come on... he provided service for the same freaking team for 15 straight years and he only served one team.. Does anyone have done anything like that in your lives? His number should be respected and retired.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Same janitor provided decades of service to the same team, at the bargain price of $200 an hour plus free healthcare, abortions, morning after pills and rubbers and pills. Retire his union card number, right next to #9. The janitor represents the American and Boston government vision for every single American and hyphenated American.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Same janitor provided decades of service to the same team. Retire his union card number, right next to #9.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

If Jason Varitek can't even get a morsel of respect from you on his retirement, who does?  So weird.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Jason Varitek didn't have "his retirement". He had to be kicked to the curb. I don't respect that, after the 100 million or more the Red Sox owner's redistributed to him. 

I don't respect him allowing his new life partner to trumpet that he is ready to play another 2 or 3 years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Jason Varitek didn't have "his retirement". He had to be kicked to the curb. I don't respect that, after the 100 million or more the Red Sox owner's redistributed to him.  I don't respect him allowing his new life partner to trumpet that he is ready to play another 2 or 3 years.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

You are a hard man if you cannot understand a ball player wanting to hang on as long as possible. But, hey, to each their own.  So, that sin overshadows the whole of his career, being a leader of 2 championship teams and the greatest run in sox history?  That just seems odd.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

You are a hard man if you cannot understand a ball player wanting to hang on as long as possible

One is not "a hard man" for not understanding why an athlete has so much foolish pride as to ignore the obvious, when he has been paid over 100 million to play a child's game.

Baseball, to me, represents a team game, with all players doing what is in the best interest of the team. To once represent that value, then ignore it for personal reasons, is a betrayal of the ethic. Varitek should admit to his mistake and apologize to his former teammates and Red Sox ownership. Humility engenders good grace.

Sections
Shortcuts