SHOULD TEK HAVE HIS NUMBER RETIRED?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: SHOULD TEK HAVE HIS NUMBER RETIRED?

In Response to Re: SHOULD TEK HAVE HIS NUMBER RETIRED?:
    [QUOTE]You are a hard man if you cannot understand a ball player wanting to hang on as long as possible One is not "a hard man" for not understanding why an athlete has so much foolish pride as to ignore the obvious, when he has been paid over 100 million to play a child's game. Baseball, to me, represents a team game, with all players doing what is in the best interest of the team. To once represent that value, then ignore it for personal reasons, is a betrayal of the ethic. Varitek should admit to his mistake and apologize to his former teammates and Red Sox ownership. Humility engenders good grace.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

How would you know that?

Ah, you read it somewhere, got it...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]You are a hard man if you cannot understand a ball player wanting to hang on as long as possible One is not "a hard man" for not understanding why an athlete has so much foolish pride as to ignore the obvious, when he has been paid over 100 million to play a child's game. Baseball, to me, represents a team game, with all players doing what is in the best interest of the team. To once represent that value, then ignore it for personal reasons, is a betrayal of the ethic. Varitek should admit to his mistake and apologize to his former teammates and Red Sox ownership. Humility engenders good grace.

If you really understood the concept of "team game', you might be able to appreciate what an aging veteran, even in decline, has to contribute.  It goes beyond numbers.  That is why the Red Sox were willing to part with good money to keep him around.  Precisely because it is a team game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

If you really understood the concept of "team game', you might be able to appreciate what an aging veteran, even in decline, has to contribute.  It goes beyond numbers.  That is why the Red Sox were willing to part with good money to keep him around.  Precisely because it is a team game.

It goes beyond numbers
    is the precise phrase used to ignore the reality of "an aging veteran". Former players and coaches provide leadership for the team, when they aren't capable of providing the necessary skill to be an active player.
    Epstein did not want to resign Varitek, but allowed fan sentiment to overcome reason. Of course, his line of "we may be seeing the last of" comment will not give way to an admission that he had no business giving them a roster spot in the first place. He liked to say "sunk cost", but he will never use that phrase with "aging veteran" contracts he gifted out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]If you really understood the concept of "team game', you might be able to appreciate what an aging veteran, even in decline, has to contribute.  It goes beyond numbers.  That is why the Red Sox were willing to part with good money to keep him around.  Precisely because it is a team game. It goes beyond numbers is the precise phrase used to ignore the reality of "an aging veteran". Former players and coaches provide leadership for the team, when they aren't capable of providing the necessary skill to be an active player. Epstein did not want to resign Varitek, but allowed fan sentiment to overcome reason. Of course, his line of "we may be seeing the last of" comment will not give way to an admission that he had no business giving them a roster spot in the first place. He liked to say "sunk cost", but he will never use that phrase with "aging veteran" contracts he gifted out.

OK, at least here you put the onus correctly on management for laying out this "sunk cost".  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Varitek did not go beyond the numbers and provide anything but an added to expense to a half a billion dollars of teams that won one playoff game in 3 years. Changes needed to be made to those unable to field their position. Kind of important to the team that the catcher is agile, as he is involved in more defensive plays than anyone but the pitcher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SHOULD TEK HAVE HIS NUMBER RETIRED? : Really Z. You're going to base a catcher's hitting ability on one stat. Try these stats: HR-RBI-BA-OPS 20-76-.269-.813 10-65-.248-.730 injured, played jut 51 games 10-61-.266-.724 25-85-.273-.863 18-73-.296-.872 22-70-.281-.856 12-55-.238-.725 (played just 103 because of injuries) 17-68-.255-787 Pretty good numbers in his prime for a catcher who in his prime was great behind the plate. Even the last couple of years, his numbers weren't bad for a catcher in his late 30s who was a backup.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of all those stats, I have access to the same web sites you do.

I listed the .296 batting average only because it is his best.

Some of those batting averages are pathetic for a major leaguer, but let's face it, MLB is the best baseball league in the world. But, when we start talking retiring numbers, Hall Of Fame , I ask you , seriously, if everyone with batting averages around .260 or so had his number retired we'd be talking about retiring a whole lot of players...this is an honor for those who "over achieved" not just those who "achieved."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]come on... he provided service for the same freaking team for 15 straight years and he only served one team.. Does anyone have done anything like that in your lives? His number should be respected and retired.
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
     Yeah, Jorge Posada with about twice as many RBI......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]come on... he provided service for the same freaking team for 15 straight years and he only served one team.. Does anyone have done anything like that in your lives? His number should be respected and retired.
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
     ..and 3 more rings....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I'm not normally pro retiring numbers but I think given how historic 2003-2008 were for the Red Sox, it is appropriate to retire a number or 2 and #33 seems like a good place to start.  I also think when #45 goes into the hall, hanging up his number would be a good move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not normally pro retiring numbers but I think given how historic 2003-2008 were for the Red Sox, it is appropriate to retire a number or 2 and #33 seems like a good place to start.  I also think when #45 goes into the hall, hanging up his number would be a good move.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]
     If #45 goes in the hall, his number will be retired. That's a team prerequisite for retiring numbers...