Should the Boston Red Sox Trade Jacoby Ellsbury by the trading deadline/sign him/let him walk?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Re: Should the Boston Red Sox Trade Jacoby Ellsbury by the trading deadline/sign him/let him walk?

carnie, you are on fire my man.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Should the Boston Red Sox Trade Jacoby Ellsbury by the trading deadline/sign him/let him walk?

In response to carnieSF's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

SPAM

Sorry, only 2 options:
    sign him/let him walk?

This profile has been reported. Stalker.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

SPAM

Sorry, only 2 options:
    sign him/let him walk?

This profile has been reported. Stalker.

Please try to remain focus and answer the question:

Should the Boston Red Sox Trade Jacoby Ellsbury by the trading deadline/sign him/let him walk?

A trade seems to be the wise thing to do.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

Trade. Have a nice career Jacoby.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trade him before the season starts. That way the team that gets him gets the value of the comp draft pick when he bolts next winter. That value alone should net us a nice prospect. Add the 1 year value of Ellsbury and his potential to repeat 2011 to an actual ring-contending team, and we should get something very nice in return- something that will help us beyond 2014.

I suppose if he is in the midst of another 2011 season by the deadline, we could trade him then, but I think we can get more now. The "don't sell low" argument is lame. We have to look at it this way: what has more value to a team that will be super lucky just to squeek into the wildcard game in 2013:

1) The comp pick we get after Ellsbury walks next winter.

or

2) A valuable young player or top prospect who is under the team's control beyond 2015.

I guess if you think we have a good shot at winning this year, I can understand you wanting choice #1 and then praying the draft choice turns into something useful, but if you are like me, and think we have next to no chance at winning a ring this year, then choice 2 looks as clear as day... a sunny day.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I don't think they should trade him...yet. There is still plenty of time to make that decision. My guess is that if the Sox are really tanking it by the trade deadline then Jacoby is going to want to go someplace else.

On the other hand I think they should let his contract expire and make him a free agent before negotiating any future contract with him. The general trend is for teams to move away from long term deals with players since too many teams have been burned by these deals. I don't really see any team offering him more then 5 years and if a team is foolish enough to do it then let them have him. With his injury history ..it's not a deal I would go with. Of course, I am not a fan of any deal more than 3 years anyhow.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Trade him before the season starts. That way the team that gets him gets the value of the comp draft pick when he bolts next winter. That value alone should net us a nice prospect. Add the 1 year value of Ellsbury and his potential to repeat 2011 to an actual ring-contending team, and we should get something very nice in return- something that will help us beyond 2014.

I suppose if he is in the midst of another 2011 season by the deadline, we could trade him then, but I think we can get more now. The "don't sell low" argument is lame. We have to look at it this way: what has more value to a team that will be super lucky just to squeek into the wildcard game in 2013:

1) The comp pick we get after Ellsbury walks next winter.

or

2) A valuable young player or top prospect who is under the team's control beyond 2015.

I guess if you think we have a good shot at winning this year, I can understand you wanting choice #1 and then praying the draft choice turns into something useful, but if you are like me, and think we have next to no chance at winning a ring this year, then choice 2 looks as clear as day... a sunny day.

Would you let Jackie Bradley or Shane Victorino play CF?

In a heartbeat, yes.  I'd give JBJ his 2 weeks in AAA to gain the extra year of control and then give him the FT job. Shane would be CF insurance, in case of injury or the need to send JBJ back down for further development if he struggles mightily (not likely).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

The Sox  are moving away from the six- and seven-year deals. Boras thinks there is a team out there willing to give Ellsbury those six or seven years. Thus, Ellsbury is gone. The 2013 Sox aren't going too far in October; therefore, trade him by the deadline.

Carnie, 

In all respect to you, why do we need to beat a "dead horse". This has been subject of a million and one discussions already ad-nauseum. 

Hetch

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

Both valid opinions from the viewpoint of the long-term from an ownership perspective. I might also be what a fantasy baseball player would want to do.  Those who are more myopic or short-signted and just want to maximize this year's enjoyment as a fan would only be concerned about this season. Everyone is different in their fandom.

Well put. 

I put a lot of weight in the value of the comp pick attached to Ellsbury. While it would be nice to get it for us, it should have equal value to other teams as well (perhaps more, since most teams have worse farms than us).

My position is that Ellsbury must have higher value to a team in heavy ring competition mode, so in theory, they should give something very nice in return for Ellsbury and the draft pick.

Sections
Shortcuts