Should the Red Sox obtain Carlos Beltran fo the remainder of 2011?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Should the Red Sox obtain Carlos Beltran fo the remainder of 2011?

Tell me how you really feel ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Re: Should the Red Sox obtain Carlos Beltran fo the remainder of 2011?

Um, this is at least the third thread on this subject...........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The answer depends on whether the Mets demand Jacoby Ellsbury or Daniel Nava.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

Lets say they want Josh Reddick and cash...
    this may be the 3rd thread, dog, but its the best!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Not going to happen, the Sox are going cheap at the trade deadline, they're going for bench strength or front end of bull-pen.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Should the Red Sox obtain Carlos Beltran fo the remainder of 2011?:
    Tell me how you really feel ...
    Posted by DeweyCBoston

Dewey,

Carlos is 34, but more telling is the last two seasons he was unable to play for half the seasosn or less.  Injuries this late are a flare...

Thanks for asking.  :o)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I say YES

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

only if the mets agree to take the following players: SLACKEY and DREW.
    also, i would agree to throwing in THEO BLUNDER.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Burrito, old friend, we can agree to disagree on this one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The easy answer is yes...the difficult part is at what cost? My guess is that if the Sox were willing to eat all of the remaining money's on his contract they might be able to get him for less than one might think. What is 3 months of his services worth, probalby more to the Met's than the Sox...To me he's the perfect fit for a team like the Mariners who need a impact middle of the order run producer if they hope to stay close to Texas and give them a run for the division. Sooner the better...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think the fact that no compensation draft picks are in play make Beltran more appealing because I think Basically the Mets will take a minimal prospect for him (A ball type)....they cant expect more because they get nothing if they keep him.....the most important thing for them is to get his salary off their books for half a year and save 7 million.....Sox would definitely not have to give up anyone of a Lavarnway level.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenMonster1964. Show GreenMonster1964's posts

I was thinking along the lines of Drew & a reasonable prospect (someone like Lars, Bowden, Wilson).  The difference in Drew/Beltrans salary saves the Mets some cash for 2011 and they get a prospect for 2012 and beyond.  Sox get a switch hitter who should provide improved RF production without sacraficing future financial flexibility.  If the price tag includes any of Ranaudo, Iglesias, Kalish, Reddick then I wouldn't do it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PapiFan. Show PapiFan's posts

I don't understand the thinking of people against getting Beltran.  This idea that they would get something substantial for him depends on how much salary the Sox take on.  If they take the whole contract the Sox will not have to give up much and would be able to keep all of their top prospects.  If they expect the Mets to take on a portion, then all of a sudden prospects would become more of an isssue.

Personally I would not give up Reddick for him, because I question Beltran being able to stay healthy and want Reddick as a possible replacement if he gets hurt.

Maybe they can get the Mets to take Drew if they take all of Beltran's salary and most all of Drew's remaining salary and give up minimal talent.  Essentially the Sox would get what they want in a much better player and clear the roster spot and the Mets would get what they want a money dump.  With the Mets financial situation, they will definitely be looking to save the most money possible.

And as much as I like Reddick and Kalish, they are lefthanded hittng OFers.  The Sox already have Crawford, Ellsbury, Gonzalez and Ortiz all hitting from the left side.  They need righthanded hitters.  They do play in Fenway.  The Sox are not only in need of a productive righthanded hitting OF which Beltran can provide against lefties this year, but a righthanded hittng RF for next year, who is not 34 years old.  Maybe a team with a similar quality righthanded hitting OF prospect could be traded for Kalish or Reddick in the offseason.  Maybe talks for Justin Upton could start up again next offseason.  I am sure the would want a top flight pitching prospect and a OF prospect like a Reddick or Kalish just to start the conversation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Below is why the Sox should get Beltran,

GABRH2B3BHRRBIBBKSBCSAVGOBPSLGOPS
    Carlos Beltran85312508926213574353300.2850.3730.5060.880
    J.D. Drew692072249514203150010.2370.3370.3290.666
    Darnell McDonald3666791027417120.1360.1970.2420.440

Sections
Shortcuts