SHOULD THE SOX CONSIDER BIDDING FOR YU DARVISH, THE NEW JAPANESE SENSATION?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

SHOULD THE SOX CONSIDER BIDDING FOR YU DARVISH, THE NEW JAPANESE SENSATION?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/06/does_darvish_be.html

i dont think we should treat people as collectives. they are individuals. now would theo make a $60m posting offer or bod? no. perhaps you go with half of that and you view these guys as primed triple A guys. whereas all draft types have to start in rook ball and class A as they work their way up, these types can start in portland in AA. give it about a year before you bring them up. let them get used to the bigger ball, the evry 5 day thing and the cultural adjustment. if they cant dominate at that level, then you know what you've got. 

in the specific case of YU, his parents met in the US at a college in florida. that means they speak english and have exposed him to certain aspects of the culture, language and relationships. yu is also only age 24. i think with japanese pitchers as a whole you want to add 5 years to their actual age and factor in future tommy john issues. 2 out of 3 of our japanese pitchers are looking at such issues and oki has had a lot of dead arm and velocity issues in the past.

money talks. the more we show interest, the more we could put pressure on the japanese league to adjust how they train these guys. for now, you go in with only the very youngif looking at them as starting pitchers. as position hguys or relievers, it doesnt seem to matter as much. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

Re: SHOULD THE SOX CONSIDER BIDDING FOR YU DARVISH, THE NEW JAPANESE SENSATION?

Yes, please waste millions of dollars again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

I didn't know Yu had changed his tune.  He said he would never play in America a couple years ago...

Never = 2 years.  

Gotta remember that one. 

-Daf. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: SHOULD THE SOX CONSIDER BIDDING FOR YU DARVISH, THE NEW JAPANESE SENSATION?:
    I didn't know Yu had changed his tune.  He said he would never play in America a couple years ago... Never = 2 years.   Gotta remember that one.  -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan

Heck, even less if you're Johnny Damon discussing playing for the Yankees ;)

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

when it comes to wasting money, THEO wrote the book.
    but to answer the OP, no!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

No, we have Tim Wastefield until he's 100 years old.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

In Response to SHOULD THE SOX CONSIDER BIDDING FOR YU DARVISH, THE NEW JAPANESE SENSATION?:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/06/does_darvish_be.html i dont think we should treat people as collectives. they are individuals. now would theo make a $60m posting offer or bod? no. perhaps you go with half of that and you view these guys as primed triple A guys. whereas all draft types have to start in rook ball and class A as they work their way up, these types can start in portland in AA. give it about a year before you bring them up. let them get used to the bigger ball, the evry 5 day thing and the cultural adjustment. if they cant dominate at that level, then you know what you've got.  in the specific case of YU, his parents met in the US at a college in florida. that means they speak english and have exposed him to certain aspects of the culture, language and relationships. yu is also only age 24. i think with japanese pitchers as a whole you want to add 5 years to their actual age and factor in future tommy john issues. 2 out of 3 of our japanese pitchers are looking at such issues and oki has had a lot of dead arm and velocity issues in the past. money talks. the more we show interest, the more we could put pressure on the japanese league to adjust how they train these guys. for now, you go in with only the very youngif looking at them as starting pitchers. as position hguys or relievers, it doesnt seem to matter as much. 
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

Consider - yes. Shoot the moon -a la DiceK - no.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Yes we should consider it.  I wouldn't have a problem with a $10M bid.  That won't be enough, but send a message that we don't value their prized pitchers as we have in the past.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Never, ever consider bidding on a Japense player. The thought is repulsive, just ask most Red Sox fans or the LS Media.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

They should and will consider it. He is younger than Dice. The wear and tear is the issue with japaneese pitchers in general. It may not be the case with him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Weiner admits he sent lewd picture; won't quit

This is an actual headline from yahoo. I think there should be period after picture, because the semi-colon isn't enough to make it clear that Wiener won't quit sending lewd pictures.

Sorry, but I always knew Weiner was a "wee ner". Why should he quit, that's who he is, NY's best, honest Tony.

Start the bidding for Darvish, and may Larry Luchino send InEpstein away in his ape suit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from razsports. Show razsports's posts

I say no. Japanese pitchers turn out to be busts in the Majors. Now if he was ffrom Mexico, Cuba and etc, then I would say yes.. See Luis Taint :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: SHOULD THE SOX CONSIDER BIDDING FOR YU DARVISH, THE NEW JAPANESE SENSATION?:
    Weiner admits he sent lewd picture; won't quit This is an actual headline from yahoo. I think there should be period after picture, because the semi-colon isn't enough to make it clear that Wiener won't quit sending lewd pictures. Sorry, but I always knew Weiner was a "wee ner". Why should he quit, that's who he is, NY's best, honest Tony. Start the bidding for Darvish, and may Larry Luchino send InEpstein away in his ape suit.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed
    going off topic a bit but i find it interesting that the NY republican chief is a guy with the last name COX. so cox piles on top of weiner and just unloads all over him regarding this scandal. men and their cox and weiners, it never ends! anthony's weiner is to blame.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2011/06/does_darvish_be.html

I agree with Abraham..wont happen..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Sure why not?  They have the money.

Sections
Shortcuts