Should the Sox consider resigning Youk to a short term deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Should the Sox consider resigning Youk to a short term deal

Just would like thought on signing Youk to a two year deal or one year with an option since he is now a free agent and public enemy number one (Booby V) is gone. And no that's not a typo. Booby V, that is. I'm not sure who is available on the free agent market this year but if Youks at first base rather than third maybe he'd be more likely to have less a chance of injury. 

Thoughts please !!

Hetch

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Should the Sox consider resigning Youk to a short term deal

I dont think Youk was injured last year, I think his bat has simply slowed down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

The up side to that would be to put Youk back at 1B where he belongs and he could probably be gotten on a 1yr cheap deal.  That would give the Sox the chance to look at the future of the 1B position for them without making a hasty/costly decision.  I have no issue with Youk batting down in the lineup and lower expectations as well.  My concern would be the clubhouse...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I would love to see Youk back. Back in Boston, and Back at 1st.  Why not?  Not only is Bobby gone, but Farell bringing the good ol' days back will make Youk fit right back in and skip the awkwardness.  Plus, he can be had for relatively cheap and short.  I would gamble on being back in the friendly confines and back at first base might just kick a little Youkaisance into gear.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

I Would Rather See Mike Napoli At 1st.........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Not hardly !!!!!   Done/cooked....... Theo left him on the vine to long !!!!  Then he married into the BRADY family !!!!  (big mistake)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just would like thought on signing Youk to a two year deal or one year with an option since he is now a free agent and public enemy number one (Booby V) is gone. And no that's not a typo. Booby V, that is. I'm not sure who is available on the free agent market this year but if Youks at first base rather than third maybe he'd be more likely to have less a chance of injury. 

Thoughts please !!

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

I would take the risk on Youk in a heartbeat to play 1B again.  My bet is he would also have a solid year.  3B really began to wear Youk down as many of us predicted may happen when we aquired AGon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Post-Reserve Clause MLB economics seems to be beyond the grasp of many (not implying you, Hetch!) despite 37 years of blindingly obvious evidence.

• Do I want Youk's attitude and drive back?  Yes.
    • Do I think he could defend at 1B in 2013 to a very high level?  Yes.
    • Does his dramatic, 4-year offensive decline make me think he's done at the plate?  Yes.
    • Would I sign him to a short contract for modest salary plus incentives?  Yes.
    • Would I offer even 2/10?  H3ll no!
    • Will he get a better offer? Dunno
    • Would he accept less?  Dunno, maybe.
    • Could I have lower expections of our AAAA 1B options?  Yes, me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Post-Reserve Clause MLB economics seems to be beyond the grasp of many (not implying you, Hetch!) despite 37 years of blindingly obvious evidence.

• Does his dramatic, 4-year offensive decline make me think he's done at the plate?  Yes.

[/QUOTE]

Sonics, you woudn't give Youk 2/5?  Man, you drive a hard bargain.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cberbes. Show cberbes's posts

I think he was an amp head, personally.  As odd as this may sound, but I base it on sweat and performance....as he sweated less, his performance at the plate went down.

No, that ship has sailed.  No need for a low .200 hitting 1st baseman.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sonics, you woudn't give Youk 2/5?  Man, you drive a hard bargain.

[/QUOTE]

2/$5m for Youk?  I'd snap that up faster than an ARod penetration situation.

If I thought Youk could recover to even an .850 OPS...even .800.... I would be happy with 2/$20m.....but I don't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thoughts please !!

Hetche ..

[/QUOTE]

Yep   shorft term, revitalized, point to prove

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Maybe just one year.  It's not a good combo of injuries and mediocre performance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Does his dramatic, 4-year offensive decline make me think he's done at the plate?  Yes.

It's a 2 year decline coming off his best season in terms of OPS in 2010. Incidently, Youk had 6 straight increases in OPS up to 2010.

One could argue that the 2010 season that was cut short by  injury  was the first year of "decline", but even so, that would be 3 years of decline- not 4.

One sidenote: Youk has over 500 PAs the last 2 years, and his OPS vs LHPs has been .935 over the same time. That's 11th best in MLB among players with 300+ PAs vs LHPs. It's better than Pedey's.

He had 15 HRs in 80 games with the CWS after leaving Boston.

Looking at the last 3 years (all in decline according to you), Youk has the best OPS (1.034) in MLB vs LHPs....better than Braun, Kemp, Pujols,... everyone.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Youk will have several suitors--Cleveland for sure will be around and have him play 1 B.

I think Youk would like to come back to the RSox but not for a home town discount. I'm surprised Peter A. hasn't done an interview with him to check things out. 

Would you prefer Youk over Carlos Pena? Both are .200 hitters? Pena could platoon with Gomez.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Would you prefer Youk over Carlos Pena? Both are .200 hitters? Pena could platoon with Gomez....

.235 is not .200 (YOUK), and under .200 (Pena) is not .200 either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

That ship sailed and hit a reef.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Sign Youk, play him at 1st, infield Youk Pedroia Iglesis Middlebrooks, good infield; sign Ross keep Els get a right fielder, catch Lava Pitch Lester Buch Peavey Doubrount Lackey, DH Ortiz, competitive team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Should Youkilis consider returning?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im on the fence with thise one. Right now I see no long term optiond for our 1b vacancy, so Im inclined to believe that a 1 or 2 year deal on someone is going to be the choice made (obviously, I could be wrong).

There could be a few 1 year options...Justin Morneau in a trade, Carlos Pena, Youk, Kotchman, and a couple more older possibilities...

They might decide to trade for someone younger like Ike Davis. They could try Jerry Sands at 1b.

Bottom line is I guess I wouldnt mind if Youk was had on a 1yr deal, ala Beltre. Id even be willing to go a bit over market value due to having the extra cash and knowing Youk can play in this environment. 2nd year vesting option? sure...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

That's a good question.He's still a great defensive 1st baseman,but his bat has seemingly slowed way down.He'd still drive some pitches over the wall,but I really wouldn't expect much more than a .250 - .260 Avg. That being said,he's certainly an option for a 1 year contract with a club option for a second.

What I'd like to see is the Sox explore a trade with the Tigers to bring Victor Martinez back to play first.He's got 2/25 left on his contract and since Detroit signed Fielder,it might make him available.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

What is the problem with Mauro Gomez? He seemed to have a good Aug/Sept and has paid his dues. Unless you are getting LaRoche, Lind, Pena, Youk, Loney, Sanchez, Konerko,  Kotchman or trade for a 1 B--I would put Gomez at the top of the list and let him show you what he has to offer.

Jeff Keppenger is a fine player that's also a FA and can play 1 B in addition to several other positions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The question is would Youk think about coming back to Boston? If he considers it, I guarantee it will not be on the cheap.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The question is would Youk think about coming back to Boston? If he considers it, I guarantee it will not be on the cheap.

[/QUOTE]
    You might be right.  The Red Sox definitely shouldn't overpay Youk to return to the Red Sox, considering that he may be injured again and have a disappointing season. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Youk is not the answer. Neither is Gomez or Sands. 

Since this will be a bridge year, I'm not too concerned about the 1B position, since seemingly nobody that eye-opening is available this year. We can use Papi at 1B at NL parks, and the better of Gomez and Sands the rest of the games.

It's better, at this point, to work on gaining longer-term improvements in our OF and starting rotation. If a quality 1Bman falls into our laps, then by all means pounce on it, but I don't see that happening. Signing a 1 year bridge player like Youk or Pena has some merit, as does picking up k Morlaes or Morneau, but I wouldn't give up quality youth to do it.

Sections
Shortcuts