Should the Sox consider resigning Youk to a short term deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Should the Sox consider resigning Youk to a short term deal

First of all, there is no one in the farm system that is ready to play at 1B.  Also these free agency 1B for this year toward to next year, there arent any talent hitter and defensive 1B.

Why can Boston try to make a trade with Minnesota to try to get Mauer or Moroneu?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Youk is not the answer. Neither is Gomez or Sands. 

Since this will be a bridge year, I'm not too concerned about the 1B position, since seemingly nobody that eye-opening is available this year. We can use Papi at 1B at NL parks, and the better of Gomez and Sands the rest of the games.

It's better, at this point, to work on gaining longer-term improvements in our OF and starting rotation. If a quality 1Bman falls into our laps, then by all means pounce on it, but I don't see that happening. Signing a 1 year bridge player like Youk or Pena has some merit, as does picking up k Morlaes or Morneau, but I wouldn't give up quality youth to do it.

[/QUOTE]

Well stated.  The bridge year comment is the most telling.  To be competitive, the Sox need a good bat at 1B--the old Youk and/or AGon when he was here.  This is expecially true with Iglesias at SS and not a big bat in the OF--unless of course Ells comes back as Ells 2011.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

no...don't consider it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

oNLY IF WE CAN GET MANNY TO PLAY LF

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Three words: NO, NO, NO.   That ship has sailed.  Youk is not good in the clubhouse, his bat has slowed and he would be overpaid at anything over 2 million a year and he is not signing for that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im on the fence with thise one. Right now I see no long term optiond for our 1b vacancy, so Im inclined to believe that a 1 or 2 year deal on someone is going to be the choice made (obviously, I could be wrong).

There could be a few 1 year options...Justin Morneau in a trade, Carlos Pena, Youk, Kotchman, and a couple more older possibilities...

They might decide to trade for someone younger like Ike Davis. They could try Jerry Sands at 1b.

Bottom line is I guess I wouldnt mind if Youk was had on a 1yr deal, ala Beltre. Id even be willing to go a bit over market value due to having the extra cash and knowing Youk can play in this environment. 2nd year vesting option? sure...

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you here.

Youk's health is a concern. He was becoming injury prone before the move to 3B. But there's still a chance he could bounce back average wise and I'd take him over Pena and Kotchman for sure. He's got a great glove. 

I don't know if Middlebrooks is ready for No. 4, but I could see an Ortiz-Middlebrooks-Ross-Youk (or Youk-Ross) at 3-4-5-6. Throw in a Lavarnway-Salty combo at No. 7 and the lineup could be decent.

If there's a better option, fine, but I think Youk is a possibiity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not hardly !!!!!   Done/cooked....... Theo left him on the vine to long !!!!  Then he married into the BRADY family !!!!  (big mistake)

[/QUOTE]

Bill, 

A really stupid comment but from you I expect no better. What does marrying into the Brady family have to do with anything. The only one cooked here is you and your idiotic point of view. 

Hetch

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Should Youkilis consider returning?

[/QUOTE]

Notin, You read my mind. That was my next question !! Would Youk be interested in coming back to Boston and what is his perception of the way he was sent packing. 

I would take a shot at Youl like many on a one year deal with an option 2nd year. Youk didn't hit for a high average with Chicago but in 80 games he still hit 15 hrs with 47 rbis. Gomez acquanted himself fairly well this year but he didn't show enough to warrant giving him first base full time. I like the combo of Youk and Gomez to spell Youk. Play Youk 120 games to keep him fresh, maybe less injury prone. 

Hetch

Hetch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

LaRouche is the ex player I want at 1B

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LaRouche is the ex player I want at 1B

[/QUOTE]

LaRoche would be fine too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Then he married into the BRADY family !!!!  (big mistake)"

Big mistake? Hmmm....Brady has accomplished more than just about any athlete in the history of Boston sports so whatever jab you think you are taking there is pretty ridiculous even by your bizarre standards. 

As far as Youk, it's a moot point as he would never come back as a player. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Flattiehater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Take him at first in a heartbeat. I'd take his bat every day of the week over 'automatic out' Iglesias.

[/QUOTE]

What does 1B have to do with SS? Or did you want Youk at SS?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Take him at first in a heartbeat. I'd take his bat every day of the week over 'automatic out' Iglesias.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I caught that stupidity from Flattiehater hours ago but was waiting for someone else to catch it.

[/QUOTE]

Stupidity on that level is kind of funny though, don't you think?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

Not to me. Sometimes I think that such stupidity is staged and is also an effort to annoy, another version of trolling. Not funny, not entertaining, and needs to be addressed - not applauded. Breidy and Moonslav correct them and don't realize that it is staged. For example, everything that Softlaw says is staged.

[/QUOTE]

And who's been calling him out on that for the last year? Me and southpaw and snakeoil mostly. Yet we manage to do that without lecturing the other members of this forum...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Just looked up Youk's stats for 2012.  He was 50 points below his career averages on BAve and OBP.  And still, he was more productive than Loney.  There is a pretty good chance he regresses more toward the mean, which would mean he hits, maybe .265ish with an OBP of around .360.  I bet that would be better than Napoli.  And Youk is a better defender than Napoli.  Just saying.  Maybe BC should explore this option.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArkaSox. Show ArkaSox's posts

Yes Youk should be signed but only under The Anti-Big Labor Contract. He should be paid $6.75 an hour for practice, but standing around the batting cage should not be counted as actual practice time. $7.75 an hour for game time, but only while on the field, dugout time between innings or standing in the on deck circle should not be counted as actual working time.

Youk should furnish his own uniforms home and away and be responsible for their cleaning and upkeep.

Youk should pay for any food or beverages consumed in the clubhouse before or after a game. He should furnish his own sunflower seeds and pay rent on his spot on the bench while in the dugout. If playing first base he should be made to pay property tax on that portion of the field. In the advent of a playoff win, Youk should furnish his own celebratory liquid and a person to spray it on him.

If Youk hits a home run at Fenway the team should charge him for the ball. If he hits a home run at an away park that team should bill him for the ball.

Youk should be responsible for all his toiletries and personnel hygiene products including toilet tissue. While at Fenway Youk should pay for all water used for personal hygiene purposes. 25 cents per-gallon for hot and 15 cents per-gallon for cold with a daily minimum of 15 gallons to a maximum of 30 gallons which would include both showering and flushing. The total price of gallons used by him weekly during the season should come directly out of his pocket. The price of drinking water used by Youk while at Fenway should be determined by bottle or fountain.

Youk must pay to use the team parking lot.

Youk should be responsible for all his travel and lodging expenses during away games, he should not be allowed on any team chartered flights. He should provide his own transportation to and from the visited ballpark and the airport.

A Anti-Big Labor Contract like this would teach them Big Labor Fat Cat Pinko Marxist Cracker Croakers a thing or two.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In other words, you have Youk playing under the new "Right to Work" laws Romney passes in his first 100 days?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Youk is not the answer. Neither is Gomez or Sands. 

Since this will be a bridge year, I'm not too concerned about the 1B position, since seemingly nobody that eye-opening is available this year. We can use Papi at 1B at NL parks, and the better of Gomez and Sands the rest of the games.

It's better, at this point, to work on gaining longer-term improvements in our OF and starting rotation. If a quality 1Bman falls into our laps, then by all means pounce on it, but I don't see that happening. Signing a 1 year bridge player like Youk or Pena has some merit, as does picking up k Morlaes or Morneau, but I wouldn't give up quality youth to do it.

[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinions always Moon, but you cant make the statement that this WILL be a bridge year. Thats your opinion, not a fact. Like I said, I respect your opinions, although i dont agree with this one.

I think we HAVE to concentrate on 1b as much as OF as much as a starter, since all are needed.

Whether its a stop gap until our youth are ready, or a long term option if it makes sense.

I agree with your point of not giving up quality prospects for one year stop gap options like Morneau and Morales.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I read it too but so no reason to dignify it with a response...

[/QUOTE]

I caught that stupidity from Flattiehater hours ago but was waiting for someone else to catch it.

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not to me. Sometimes I think that such stupidity is staged and is also an effort to annoy, another version of trolling. Not funny, not entertaining, and needs to be addressed - not applauded. Breidy and Moonslav correct them and don't realize that it is staged. For example, everything that Softlaw says is staged.

[/QUOTE]

And who's been calling him out on that for the last year? Me and southpaw and snakeoil mostly. Yet we manage to do that without lecturing the other members of this forum...

[/QUOTE]

No need to lecture everyone here Carnie. I think most here understand his schtick. And although Moon keeps going back and forth with him, I learn a lot from the stats Moon posts, and it also opens some other fans eyes to the facts as well...All without lecturing everyone on this site...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Yes, but only if he feels comfortable coming back. I think Bobby was behind him leaving Boston, and anything Bobby had a hand in needs a second look IMO because of what an             Bobby is/was.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with SS. It was a comment strictly about hitting. It may be that your inability to think in more than one dimension is what stupidity really is. Yes?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're the one comparing Youk to Iglesias. Did you want Youk at SS or what? And as a physicist I can think in more than one dimension just fine thanks. You however still haven't answered one of my questions.

Sections
Shortcuts