Should the sox place a bid on 25 yr old left-hander Ryu Hyun Jin from Korea?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Should the sox place a bid on 25 yr old left-hander Ryu Hyun Jin from Korea?

Anyone know if he's already served his two mandatory years in the Korean military??? If not what almost happened with Shin Soo Choo could happen with him if he doesnt help korea win the WBC. Hopefully if the sox get him he can help the Koreans to win the WBC.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Re: Should the sox place a bid on 25 yr old left-hander Ryu Hyun Jin from Korea?

I'd be leary, mostly because the history of Asian pitchers in MLB is not good overall.  Most seem to have a shelf life of a 2-3 years before fading.  Hideki Nomo is one of the few that comes to mind who was around for more than 5 years.  I certainly would not go for a long term deal, and that isn't going to cut it.

Those of you who cite Chen and Darvish, they've only been in the US for one season.  As for Kuroda, he's been here five, but his career record in 57-57 (I know, wins arenlt everything, but percentage tells you a little more). 

Tazawa will be an interesting case because he is one of the few who has come up through the American minor leagues as opposed to coming directly from the Japanese majors. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is a very good chance Ryu Hyun Jin will be posted this offseason and will come to the majors. He has lead the korean league in strikeouts 5 times already and is 25 yrs old. He is left handed and after watching some videos of him, the best way i could describe him is like a heftier cliff lee. He operates in the low 90's, has really good offspead stuff (curve, change) and has very good control. He is hands down the best pitcher in korea. He also holds the korean league record for k's in a season with 204. do you guys think the sox should place a serious bid for him? hes 6 ft 2 205, so he is not your typical sized asian pitcher, and after watching him pitch, he has a nice easy delivery. I think he will be perhaps better than darvish. I think the sox should throw down a big bid for him. 

[/QUOTE]

How about they pay him to stay away????

[/QUOTE]

you want to elaborate on that a little bit? have you seem him pitch before? is he garbage?

[/QUOTE]

You are so right ... Sorry ! Ihave never seen him pitch . What team did he pitch for and how did the Sox do against him??? Get my drift ??? I didn't see Dice K pitch either. Lets take another gamble and hope he's the real deal or guys like you will be screaming at Owners and GM for being so stupid for not learning from Dice K mistake..Thats my elaborate ok ????

[/QUOTE]

first i would like it if you didn't put words into my mouth, second dice-k still has nothing to do with this kid! they're from 2 different countries and more importantly they're 2 different people!! dice-ks ability has no bearing on this kids ability. he could be a stud. he could be a flop. but to assume he will be trash just because we got burned by another pitcher from the same continent (especially when you confirmed that you have no actual basis for your opinion besides RACE)

can all cuban ball players not swing a bat just because iggy cant?

we should probably not sign any african american players either because CC didn't work out...

to generalize about someone without knowing anything about their skill, ability or work ethic is wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When is the last time a Korea pitcher have done well in MLB?  Most of them are busted!!

[/QUOTE]

In the same light, out of how many high profile prospects that any club signs from within the U.S. how many work out. Get my drift !!

Hetch 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not for nothing, but you guys do know that you know nothing about this guy, right?

Seriously, I could post an article and simply make up a name, say he australian by way of Taiwan, and y'all be arguing for days about whether we should sign him or not.  I know we mostly speculate in here, but this is way beyond speculation, and into pure guessing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not for nothing, but you guys do know that you know nothing about this guy, right?

Seriously, I could post an article and simply make up a name, say he australian by way of Taiwan, and y'all be arguing for days about whether we should sign him or not.  I know we mostly speculate in here, but this is way beyond speculation, and into pure guessing.

[/QUOTE]

i'm not saying to sign him or not to sign him. I know nothing about the kid so i'm in no position to give an opinion. the only thing i'm saying is don't lump this kid in with dice-K just because they're from the far east. it reeks of insensitivity

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is a very good chance Ryu Hyun Jin will be posted this offseason and will come to the majors. He has lead the korean league in strikeouts 5 times already and is 25 yrs old. He is left handed and after watching some videos of him, the best way i could describe him is like a heftier cliff lee. He operates in the low 90's, has really good offspead stuff (curve, change) and has very good control. He is hands down the best pitcher in korea. He also holds the korean league record for k's in a season with 204. do you guys think the sox should place a serious bid for him? hes 6 ft 2 205, so he is not your typical sized asian pitcher, and after watching him pitch, he has a nice easy delivery. I think he will be perhaps better than darvish. I think the sox should throw down a big bid for him. 

[/QUOTE]

How about they pay him to stay away????

[/QUOTE]

you want to elaborate on that a little bit? have you seem him pitch before? is he garbage?

[/QUOTE]

You are so right ... Sorry ! Ihave never seen him pitch . What team did he pitch for and how did the Sox do against him??? Get my drift ??? I didn't see Dice K pitch either. Lets take another gamble and hope he's the real deal or guys like you will be screaming at Owners and GM for being so stupid for not learning from Dice K mistake..Thats my elaborate ok ????

[/QUOTE]

first i would like it if you didn't put words into my mouth, second dice-k still has nothing to do with this kid! they're from 2 different countries and more importantly they're 2 different people!! dice-ks ability has no bearing on this kids ability. he could be a stud. he could be a flop. but to assume he will be trash just because we got burned by another pitcher from the same continent (especially when you confirmed that you have no actual basis for your opinion besides RACE)

can all cuban ball players not swing a bat just because iggy cant?

we should probably not sign any african american players either because CC didn't work out...

to generalize about someone without knowing anything about their skill, ability or work ethic is wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Dam!!! Hello !!! Not talking about  Race here !! Is his skill good enough? Is his work ethic good enough? Does he need a someone for language ? We been that way already and for millions i would be very careful to fall in that trap again? Then you would because it's not your money to spend and again if he fails .......Your crying about bad move and wasted money.Thats what i'm saying .... Nothing to do with ,red green, pink ,blue, black ,white.Now take your race card ,. bend over and shove it up so far up that your eyes start to cross !!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

never heard of this guy, but if he can pitch and is signable, why not go after him?

i hated matzusaka, but only because of his pitching ineffectivess and his nibbling style over the last four years, but any pitcher who can get out opposing hitters is good for me.

donrd6, every pitcher is a gamble