Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MIKESOX. Show MIKESOX's posts

Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton?

And if so, who would they have to give up? Here is a kid who was the #1 pick in the draft and is coming into his own. Not to mention he is signed long term at a reasonable rate and offensively he puts Drew to shame. And to top it off, he is the Upton to have if you had to choose between the two. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton?

Give one reason why Arizona would even think about moving him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton?:
    [QUOTE]And if so, who would they have to give up? Here is a kid who was the #1 pick in the draft and is coming into his own. Not to mention he is signed long term at a reasonable rate and offensively he puts Drew to shame. And to top it off, he is the Upton to have if you had to choose between the two. 
    Posted by MIKESOX[/QUOTE]

Justin Upton would be a great move but one Arizona should never make unless its an offer too good to pass on.  BJ should probably be traded or released by the Rays, it may just improve their team. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MIKESOX. Show MIKESOX's posts

In Response to Re: Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton?:
    [QUOTE]Give one reason why Arizona would even think about moving him.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Just thinkning that since Theo is known for his "man crush" way of going after players, this one would be a good fit. Theo had the hots for Drew, got him. He had the hots for Lugo, got him too. Loved Scutaro, got him, and the list could go on. He mentioned Upton during the winter meetings in an interview on the MLB channel with Kevin Millar, so hopefully he keeps this kid on his radar.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Give one reason why Arizona would even think about moving him.

They were fielding offers for Upton last winter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Yes, but unlikely value trade. Kemp is the more likely trade match.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton? : They were fielding offers for Upton last winter.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    Last winter the Diamondbacks were coming off a last-place finish, 27 games behind the San Francisco Giants.

The Diamondback currently are only a half-game back of the division-leading Giants.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

IMO the price would be too high in $$ and or RSN prospects, and I would rather see Kalish in right next year. Crawford will be fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton? : They were fielding offers for Upton last winter.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    That was after a horrible season and even then it would've had to been something to completely blow them away. A story obviously over-hyped by ESPN.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton? : That was after a horrible season and even then it would've had to been something to completely blow them away. A story obviously over-hyped by ESPN.

You only asked for 1 reason, I didn't say the Sox should do it at this point.  Rumor has it they wanted a package similar to the AGon package.  I assume the price would be even higher now given the teams success.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton? : You only asked for 1 reason, I didn't say the Sox should do it at this point.  Rumor has it they wanted a package similar to the AGon package.  I assume the price would be even higher now given the teams success.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    Past intentions don't always equate to current ones. I don't even consider the fact they entertained an offer or two as something that would hint they would entertain offers this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, but unlikely value trade. Kemp is the more likely trade match.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

would love to see a crawford, ellsbury, kemp or upton outfield

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton? : Past intentions don't always equate to current ones. I don't even consider the fact they entertained an offer or two as something that would hint they would entertain offers this season.

Even after coming off of their terrible 2010, there was no reason to deal someone who's young, great, and signed long term to a team friendly deal.  The fact that they were open to it before shows that they are willing to think outside the box to accelerate their rebuilding process.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton? : Just thinkning that since Theo is known for his "man crush" way of going after players, this one would be a good fit. Theo had the hots for Drew, got him. He had the hots for Lugo, got him too. Loved Scutaro, got him, and the list could go on. He mentioned Upton during the winter meetings in an interview on the MLB channel with Kevin Millar, so hopefully he keeps this kid on his radar.

Big difference being he signed all 3 of those as FAs.

And as far as rasonable money, he makes:
    4.25 this year
    6.75 next
    9.75 2013
    14.25 2014
    14.5 2015.

Reasonable for big market teams, that's a large chunk for AZ to absorb going forward. For the money, I'd go after his teammate, Chris Young. I think he's one of the most underrated OFers in baseball. Signed through 2014, topping out at 11 mil (5.2 this, 7 next, 8.5 in 2013) and he's 27 right now, about 4 years older than Upton. 30/30 a very reachable statline for him, the K numbers are a little scary (about 250 per year) but he's a right handed hitter who can play CF, so I'm assuming the corners as well, though I know it's not the same.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

yes

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Would love to see a Kemp, Kalish and Crawbust OF.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Would love to see a Kemp, Kalish and Crawbust OF.

It could be worse Softy; they could have signed Bay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Steve ... realizing where your loyalties lie...do you think the Sox got the Bay deal right or wrong? 

Heck, maybe it's just something to do with bad karma coming off of the ponzi scheme that is sinking the Mets.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Upton?

No.  Too much to get him away from D-Backs now. 

As pointed out, he was offered during off-season and there was supposedly some interest here.  But that's water under the bridge.

Not that he wouldn't be interesting, but he's nearly a clone of Carl. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Steve ... realizing where your loyalties lie...do you think the Sox got the Bay deal right or wrong?  Heck, maybe it's just something to do with bad karma coming off of the ponzi scheme that is sinking the Mets.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

I was talking from the Sox perspective.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I liked Jason a lot.  I also kinda thought that the Sox were playing a bit too tough, almost dirty.

I didn't realize how dead center their medical fears were.

Jason and Pedro, two great guys but two calls they got right from the medical stand.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I liked Jason a lot.  I also kinda thought that the Sox were playing a bit too tough, almost dirty. I didn't realize how dead center their medical fears were. Jason and Pedro, two great guys but two calls they got right from the medical stand.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's the whole story; he's playing like a fat cat (nothing like a walk year to motivate, see Beltre and Reyes), and that park is oppressive for power hitters, especially compared to Fenway (at least when you lose a Homer at Fenway in left, it's still a hit)

His numbers on the Mets are atrocious (6 HRs last yr, hitting .204 with 2 HRS as of a week ago this yr; few RBIs both yrs)

Let's not forget he had good yrs in Pitt, which is a tough park for righties.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

[QUOTE]Would love to see a Kemp, Kalish and Crawbust OF.

kalish seems a bit too injury prone for me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Should the Sox pursue Justin Upton?:
    [QUOTE]And if so, who would they have to give up? Here is a kid who was the #1 pick in the draft and is coming into his own. Not to mention he is signed long term at a reasonable rate and offensively he puts Drew to shame. And to top it off, he is the Upton to have if you had to choose between the two. 

I could possibly see a package including Ells in the off season to re-new the Upton talks.  I don't see us getting Upton without including him and if Jacoby keeps playing well his stock could be at it's highest level.

Crawford LF
    Upton CF/RF
    Kallish CF/RF
    Reddick 4th, OF

I also see trade proposals for Kemp or Either

Sections
Shortcuts