Should the Sox Re-Sign Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Should the Sox Re-Sign Drew?

Should sox re-sign Drew and if they want to re-sign him, do you think he wants to stay?  If they re-sign him, what happens to Middlebrooks?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Should the Sox Re-Sign Drew?

In response to cpjohn1's comment:

Should sox re-sign Drew and if they want to re-sign him, do you think he wants to stay?  If they re-sign him, what happens to Middlebrooks?

I know for sure that Drew would love to come back.  He isnt going to take a discount cuz he never had a big fat long term contract in his life time.  And he is only 30 years old

So it is more likely he 'll come down to play for Boston for fun to try to repeat as a WS champion at the same time to take very short term contract or move on to play for someone else to get his best contract ever of his life.

I just think he is moving on unless Ben C. is willing to give him a long term contract and trade Middlebrook.

I ll take Drew over Middlebrook, but I ll take Bogaerts over Middlebrook.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Tough call, personally I'd like it.  The question of course is whether they want Bogaerts to play SS or 3rd.  If they want him to play 3rd, then re-sign Drew.  Middlebrooks moves to 1B or is traded. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Yep....I'd bring him back in a heartbeat.  Boggy to 3B and Middy at 1B if Napps leaves (I hope he stays though) or use him as trade bait in a package for a solid starter, 1B or corner outfielder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I definitely want him back. Outstanding fielder (that catch of Molina's  liner in Game 5 was huge) and teammate. Obviously not a great hitter, but you cannot  put a price tag on a dependable shortstop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

World Series Championship Shortstops, have a way of getting plenty of offers. Give him a QO, and see what happens.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

QO have to be offered by Monday? Holy smokes, talking about decisions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

QO have to be offered by Monday? Holy smokes, talking about decisions.

Gets the Hot Stove off to a fast start doesn't it? Smile

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I would make a QO for him. I believe thats for one year only. Bogaerts will be ready to assume the role of our regular SS by 2015 at the latest. He seems a lot more comforable there than at 3B.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I would make a QO for him. I believe thats for one year only. Bogaerts will be ready to assume the role of our regular SS by 2015 at the latest. He seems a lot more comforable there than at 3B.

But he seem comfortable at 3b too.   If he is going to play SS, sound like the Red Sox are in the rebuilding mode.  Bogaerts is not yet a top defensive SS.  Give him a couple more years, and he ll get so comfortable playing there.  Maybe not!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I liked him since we were in AZ back in 2007.  I always said he was the Drew brother I'd want. 

You have to offer him a QO.

I prefer Boggy at 3B........Bring Naps back for 1B or acquire one (Trumbo) if Naps wants too much $/years.

Use Middy as your back-up corner guy and give him reps at 1B.....I think he's lack of plate discipline, K's, and questionable glove make him NOT the long term answer at 3b but I think he could prove to be a valueable utility guy; maybe give him a look in LF too??? Just brainstorming here.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

But he seem comfortable at 3b too.   If he is going to play SS, sound like the Red Sox are in the rebuilding mode.  Bogaerts is not yet a top defensive SS.  Give him a couple more years, and he ll get so comfortable playing there.  Maybe not!!

I am not completely comfortable w/ his glove but if he is going to make it, it will be easier of course for him at 3b.  And gives him more space to develop his bat; he'll need to show more power....

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You can either sign Drew or Napoli. It is toss up but the Sox where willing to commit to Napoli last season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Look, the Sox can afford to keep all of these guys, add a couple new ones, and still remain at under the 189,000,000 $ threshold.

I am assuming 14.1 million annual salaries for guys like Naps, Drew, Salty......17 million for Jacoby.........and another 25 million for a starter and a reliever......but this means dumping Buck and Dempster..........And I'd prefer they find a better defensive catcher for Salty

We can discuss the details later but the point is that they do not have skimp and cut costs for 2014 like that the poor little team from da bronx.......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

I could see Drew staying with Bogey playing third and Carp and Middlebrooks splitting first base. If that happens though then they will be signing another outfielder with pop.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

According to Peter Abraham, probably not nor jacoby.  But one never knows.  How do you let Drew walk without offering him a good contract.

Ithink you offer contract and that way you at least get a draft pick if he signs with another team. Ells at least 1 yr 14 mil to get a # 1 draft pick if he signs elsewhere.... I think?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to The4040club's comment:

According to Peter Abraham, probably not nor jacoby.  But one never knows.  How do you let Drew walk without offering him a good contract.

Ithink you offer contract and that way you at least get a draft pick if he signs with another team. Ells at least 1 yr 14 mil to get a # 1 draft pick if he signs elsewhere.... I think?

QO to Drew, Ellsbury, and Naps......Salty I may try to get him for 2 yrs/15; QO may be risky but I can afford to do it if say Drew and Naps reject the QO........

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I offer the QO. If he takes it he will be back at least to start the season. If he passes then he will be gone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Can you do better? They have Mookie Betts in the works, but he is a 2b. 

Yuniel Escobar is a FA. Though, I'd prefer a SS like Drew to Escobar. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I'm not looking to sign Drew, Naps, Salty or Ells. I personally feel there will be many FA's who would like to play on a pennant contender. There will be players out there looking to make a WS run.

We have some current depth at SS: Xander and Brock Holt. Say what you want about Holt that is his natural position. He may not hit for the power Drew exhibited but I think he can handle it if Xander doesn't fulfill expectations. I like Xander's length at 3 B--it appears his arm is slotted nicely for 3 B.

I see as a longshot Cecchini at 3 B, Xander at SS, Pedroia and Loney at 1 B. Holt as a backup. That could change if the Sox choose to go with Loney at 1 B.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Postseason was something on an eye opener.  Salty, the regular season full time catcher, sat the final 3 games of the WS because he wasn't hitting and, worse, wasn't catching that well.  The bad throw to 3B cost a game.  Pitchers don't want to gripe in public, but they sure seemed more comfortable with Ross behind the plate.   I'm not sure old Salty will be back. 

Thus Middlebrooks also sat a few games, and Bogaerts took over at 3B. 

But Drew never sat despite having a miserable postseason at the plate.  Right now, he looks to me like the best fielding SS we have seen recently, except for Iglesias of course.  Plus we know he can hit because his OPS for August and September was over .850.  Gotta give him a QO at least.  
    Same goes for Napoli, who is a good fielding 1B and a good hitter despite the K's. 

I'd keep Ellsbury too, but he is going to be too expensive, so an opportunity for Bradley. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts