Should the Sox Re-Sign Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Should the Sox Re-Sign Drew?

Yes, Drew, for sure.  Middlebrooks is going to have to win the first base job, but if they re-sign Naps, then he'll probably go in a trade. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

I'm not looking to sign Drew, Naps, Salty or Ells. I personally feel there will be many FA's who would like to play on a pennant contender. There will be players out there looking to make a WS run.

We have some current depth at SS: Xander and Brock Holt. Say what you want about Holt that is his natural position. He may not hit for the power Drew exhibited but I think he can handle it if Xander doesn't fulfill expectations. I like Xander's length at 3 B--it appears his arm is slotted nicely for 3 B.

I see as a longshot Cecchini at 3 B, Xander at SS, Pedroia and Loney at 1 B. Holt as a backup. That could change if the Sox choose to go with Loney at 1 B.

Really?  Have you checked the list of FA's at these positions?  It's free information if you google for it.  There is nothing overly appealing on the lists.  Our currrent SS, 1B, C, and of course CF represent the best available guys on the market right now.  If anything, teams will line up to steal them away from us......and btw, 99% of the guys don't make a deal to play with a contender, they go to the highest bidder.....If San Diageo offers Ellsbury $150 million he'd be a Padre next year.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

So the latest report is QO's to Drew and Naps and Ells but not to Salty.....I guess I was right, again..........ho hum..........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

So the latest report is QO's to Drew and Naps and Ells but not to Salty.....I guess I was right, again..........ho hum..........

A report according to one guy about something that hasn't happened yet doesn't make you right, and there are others out there in the baseball world who are saying they think he will get one.

I wouldn't be surprised either way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

A report according to one guy about something that hasn't happened yet doesn't make you right, and there are others out there in the baseball world who are saying they think he will get one.

I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Report seems strong and it's not just Drew, it's also Naps but not Salty......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Drew should come back. Saltalamacchia, not so much.

Re-sign Drew, Ben.  Make it happen.  Softlaw is against it, so you know its the right move.  Email him again as he says you do and ask him for yourself...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I would but he would have to take a pay cut to get a 3 yr deal...i doubt he would do that...but i would offer him 3/25

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

First you focus on Ellsbury, Naps, and Drew

Then you see where you are w/ your budget before considering Salty and what to offer and what the market is like for him (remember, there is risk in offering him a QO)

Also, after this Oct I think the Sox need to strongly consider going w/ a glove man at catcher and not a bat

Salty is TBD for a few more days at least

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Focusing on Ellsbury sounds easier than it really is.  Part of Boras' MO for elite players is to hold off as long as he can before accepting an offer.  It could be January before Ells signs anywhere and by that time players the Sox are coveting could be gone.

Me?  I'd go to Boras and tell him that I'm prepared to sign him now for 5/$105, and that offer expires on November 15.  After that I'm going to be actively looking elsewhere.  (and I'd be prepared to go to six years @ ~ $120 if it were necessary to sign him).

Like all big contracts, that may be to much at the end of it but the way salaries are escalating it may be in line with what a 35 year old ex-superstar is making, too. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I would make a QO for him. I believe thats for one year only. Bogaerts will be ready to assume the role of our regular SS by 2015 at the latest. He seems a lot more comforable there than at 3B.

Good plan and yes, I think Boggie needs another year.  I think Drew will be popular on the market and will look for at least two years.

Bogaerts will be in the line-up to start the year next year, barring injury.  The only question is whether it's SS or 3rd.  My guess is SS because Middlebrooks will be at 3rd & Napoli will be at 1st.

They aren't going to trade Middlebrooks and Drew is EASILY going to get a 3 or 4 year deal for at LEAST 10/12 million per.  A lot of people on this forum don't seem to realize just how much money there is out there to spend with the new TV contracts.  Even the mid-market teams can spend big now, and some of them will.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I would make a QO for him. I believe thats for one year only. Bogaerts will be ready to assume the role of our regular SS by 2015 at the latest. He seems a lot more comforable there than at 3B.

Good plan and yes, I think Boggie needs another year.  I think Drew will be popular on the market and will look for at least two years.

Bogaerts will be in the line-up to start the year next year, barring injury.  The only question is whether it's SS or 3rd.  My guess is SS because Middlebrooks will be at 3rd & Napoli will be at 1st.

They aren't going to trade Middlebrooks and Drew is EASILY going to get a 3 or 4 year deal for at LEAST 10/12 million per.  A lot of people on this forum don't seem to realize just how much money there is out there to spend with the new TV contracts.  Even the mid-market teams can spend big now, and some of them will.  

good post and I can live with that plan.

Thanks...An example of a team with pretty much unlimited resources would obviously be the Dodgers, who supposedly would love to move Hanley Ramirez off of SS.  My guess is they would go 4/50 for a Stephen Drew without blinking. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Drew and Salty should get at least 4 years somewhere for a bottom of 10M, maybe up to 12-13M. Naps, 3years around 14M, and Ellsbury, 6 years maybe 7 at 18-22M. Those are my guesses.

Like you said jasko, with the TV money, AND the money they would normally have spent on all the drafts that now have a cap, teams will not be shy about handing out deals this winter.

Ellsbury probably goes deep into January and even early February, IF hes not blown away right out of the gate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Drew and Salty should get at least 4 years somewhere for a bottom of 10M, maybe up to 12-13M. Naps, 3years around 14M, and Ellsbury, 6 years maybe 7 at 18-22M. Those are my guesses.

Like you said jasko, with the TV money, AND the money they would normally have spent on all the drafts that now have a cap, teams will not be shy about handing out deals this winter.

Ellsbury probably goes deep into January and even early February, IF hes not blown away right out of the gate.

Those numbers sound pretty reasonable, Southpaw.  My guess is Naps is the only guy we retain, with Salty an outside shot.  My guess is Drew is least likely.  I've seen Beltran's name being thrown around on here, but I don't see how the Sox would ever consider him for right field at this point & he obviously can't DH here.  Choo would make more sense, but I don't see the Sox throwing 100 plus million at a guy who has never played here at this point, either. They have a ton of options this off-season & a little less pressure after this year's remarkable run, so it should be fun.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Middy really struggled on defense this year. Perhaps his concentration was effected by his slumping offense.

He does have a good arm, but his 3B defense is not so good that it forces us to keep an inferior fielding SS at short, instead of letting him play is most probable spot: 3B. Bogey will almost certainly end up at 3B at some point, unless Ben decides that great SS offense cancels out the sub par defense, but watching Drew play through that horrible slump makes me believe Ben does value SS defense.

I'd look to bring Drew back or sign a super defensive SS this winter. I'd let Bogey play 15-30 games at SS and 120-130 at 3B in 2014. Middy can play the rest at 3B and fight for playing time at 1B and DH, or be on standby in case of an injury at SS, 3B, 1B or DH.

If Napoli walks and we pick up a big bat in the OF, we can afford to go with Middy, Carp, Nava, and Papi splitting time at 1B.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

The Iglesias trade was not a sign for a long term committment to Drew.  The plan had to be to insert Bogaerts there for the foreseeable future.

If Middlebrooks' regression is forcing Bogaerts to 3B out of necessity, why not look for a 3B instead?  Undoubtedly a premier 3B will be cheaper than a SS....

Signing Drew for 3+ years is a bad move...too expensive.

Signing Drew for 1 year is also a bad move.  How does Bogaerts prove himself at the position if he doesn't play there regularly?  Will he magically be a better SS getting accustomed to 3B?

Nothing against Drew really.  I just think he should take a deserved long term deal elsewhere.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Focusing on Ellsbury sounds easier than it really is.  Part of Boras' MO for elite players is to hold off as long as he can before accepting an offer.  It could be January before Ells signs anywhere and by that time players the Sox are coveting could be gone.

Me?  I'd go to Boras and tell him that I'm prepared to sign him now for 5/$105, and that offer expires on November 15.  After that I'm going to be actively looking elsewhere.  (and I'd be prepared to go to six years @ ~ $120 if it were necessary to sign him).

Like all big contracts, that may be to much at the end of it but the way salaries are escalating it may be in line with what a 35 year old ex-superstar is making, too. 

I like the plan but I think Boras is never in the passenger seat and always has control of the car.

I agree completely.  I'd be in hopes that a serious offer like this would force Ellsbury to take over the wheel. 

There Is a limit to what the Sox will pay for Ellsbury. Let's find out right now if Ells is willing to sign within that limit.  If he is, sign him.  If he wants to chance a better off than $21MM someplace else... well, that's a decision he has to make.  Is $21MM in the hand worth more than ~$23MM in the bush?   

If he turns it down he may find himself playing for $19.5MM for a losing team next year, and I'll have no sympathy for him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/2014-mlb-free-agents.html

I'm not looking to sign Drew, Naps, Salty or Ells. I personally feel there will be many FA's who would like to play on a pennant contender. There will be players out there looking to make a WS run.

Kurt Suzuki or AJ behind the plate

Read the list of FA to be----enjoy--this will be a great Hot Stove.

We have some current depth at SS: Xander and Brock Holt. Say what you want about Holt that is his natural position. He may not hit for the power Drew exhibited but I think he can handle it if Xander doesn't fulfill expectations. I like Xander's length at 3 B--it appears his arm is slotted nicely for 3 B.

I see as a longshot Cecchini at 3 B, Xander at SS, Pedroia and Loney at 1 B. Holt as a backup. That could change if the Sox choose to go with Loney at 1 B.

Really?  Have you checked the list of FA's at these positions?  It's free information if you google for it.  There is nothing overly appealing on the lists.  Our currrent SS, 1B, C, and of course CF represent the best available guys on the market right now.  If anything, teams will line up to steal them away from us......and btw, 99% of the guys don't make a deal to play with a contender, they go to the highest bidder.....If San Diageo offers Ellsbury $150 million he'd be a Padre next year.....

Andrew I hope other teams steal them away. We get the picks and we get a crop of hungry players that want to win another WS. The Red Sox will have their pick just as teams courting our 4 guys will have their chances.

I would take AJ Pier. as a replacement for Salty.

Drew is the only one of the four I wouldn't mind having back --Perhaps Salty #2.

I'm sorry I'm not in favor of paying more than $100 for Ells. He's not worth more than Pedroia.

Nap----Pitch to him everyday. He did offer some protection for Ortiz. They will find someone: Mark Reynolds for 1/2 the money, strikes out as much and hits as many dingers. Loney is a sleeper--probably for the same money as Reynolds--better hit producer and one of the best defenders at 1 B.

We weren't married to these guys before. Boras can walk them across the street and sign in NY--I can't blame them for going to the highest bidder--I wish them the best we got what we wanted, a WS Championship. We will be competitive without them and we'll replenish the farm quicker.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to SleeStack1's comment:

The Iglesias trade was not a sign for a long term committment to Drew.  The plan had to be to insert Bogaerts there for the foreseeable future.

If Middlebrooks' regression is forcing Bogaerts to 3B out of necessity, why not look for a 3B instead?  Undoubtedly a premier 3B will be cheaper than a SS....

Signing Drew for 3+ years is a bad move...too expensive.

Signing Drew for 1 year is also a bad move.  How does Bogaerts prove himself at the position if he doesn't play there regularly?  Will he magically be a better SS getting accustomed to 3B?

Nothing against Drew really.  I just think he should take a deserved long term deal elsewhere.

Agreed...I'd be VERY surprised if Middlebrooks & Bogaerts aren't starting on the left side of the infield next year.  They aren't going to make Middlebrooks some kind of "super sub" next year as he obviously needs to play every day.  Drew will likely price himself out of the mix.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Agreed...I'd be VERY surprised if Middlebrooks & Bogaerts aren't starting on the left side of the infield next year.  They aren't going to make Middlebrooks some kind of "super sub" next year as he obviously needs to play every day.  Drew will likely price himself out of the mix.

They aren't going to hand the FT 3B job to a guy (Middy) who lost his job 2 times this year either.

They will have a contingency plan at the very least.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

They aren't going to hand the FT 3B job to a guy (Middy) who lost his job 2 times this year either.

They will have a contingency plan at the very least.

They aren't going to "hand" it to him, but he would have to have a pretty brutal spring to end up back in Pawtucket, which is obviously possible.  They will bring in a guy who can sub at both corners, but everything I've heard sounds like they will give him every opportunity to be the starting 3rd baseman next year.  A guy with his power is going to get a long look, and if he completely regresses, they'll likely make a move for a 3rd baseman during the season.  

Sections
Shortcuts