Should the Sox take a dive?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

Should the Sox take a dive?

And... do you think that ever happens?

I know it's only one series against Texas, but... contrary to some posts I've read on here, it seems like the Sox match up well in that, quite simply, the Rangers have only one pitcher who scares me... and I'm not sure I'd call him a true ace (CJ Wilson).

Who do they have after that for a playoff series? Ogando? Very good season, but untested, and the Sox teed off on him tonight.

Texas has a great lineup and seems to be a tough place to play, traditionally, but I think I'd take it over having to face Verlander twice in a best-of-five.

What do the Sox do? Does an organization ever strive to lose? Which matchup are you hoping for? Winning the division is fun, but at this point it seems to be a matter of pride and nothing else, especially, it seems, logic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Re: Should the Sox take a dive?

I can't believe you actually managed 142 posts.  Lol. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

In Response to Re: Should the Sox take a dive?:
    [QUOTE]I can't believe you actually managed 142 posts.  Lol. 
    Posted by fenwayjack2[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you're getting at, but... I very rarely post here, and I actually think that's a mistake. I figured I was definitely under fifty...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

In Response to Should the Sox take a dive?:
    [QUOTE]And... do you think that ever happens? I know it's only one series against Texas, but... contrary to some posts I've read on here, it seems like the Sox match up well in that, quite simply, the Rangers have only one pitcher who scares me... and I'm not sure I'd call him a true ace (CJ Wilson). Who do they have after that for a playoff series? Ogando? Very good season, but untested, and the Sox teed off on him tonight. Texas has a great lineup and seems to be a tough place to play, traditionally, but I think I'd take it over having to face Verlander twice in a best-of-five. What do the Sox do? Does an organization ever strive to lose? Which matchup are you hoping for? Winning the division is fun, but at this point it seems to be a matter of pride and nothing else, especially, it seems, logic.
    Posted by tombirner[/QUOTE]

So you have no faith that Beckett can beat or at least tie Verlander thru 8 innings. Detroit is by far the weakest of the AL playoff teams, and if I were Leyland I am throwing Justin in games 1, 3, and 5 for the Tigers to have any chance against the 3 beasts of the AL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Should the Sox take a dive? : So you have no faith that Beckett can beat or at least tie Verlander thru 8 innings. Detroit is by far the weakest of the AL playoff teams, and if I were Leyland I am throwing Justin in games 1, 3, and 5 for the Tigers to have any chance against the 3 beasts of the AL
    Posted by stormcrow7878[/QUOTE]

Beckett's a beast, but Verlander's on a mission. Dude's nearly unhittable. As for facing him a possible three times in a series... yeah, exactly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

LAA may be the division champ in the west.  Sox match up VERY well against them.  Sox need to get their big players rest and line up their pitching correctly.  If that means the Yankees win the division, so be it.  The Sox have the best road record in all of baseball, and they have proven they can beat Texas in the heat.  And they still do not have Youk in the lineup.  And they have been without their third best starter for more than 2 months (during which time they played well above .600).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Tigers scare me as much, if not moreso, than the Rangers. Justin Verlander is the best pitcher in baseball this year and could possibly go twice in a 5 game series, maybe three times if you count a relief appearance. Detroit also has two very good hitters in Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez, plus a bunch of serviceable guys at other positions. They're not going to be easy.

That being said, I think the Red Sox should always strive to win their division. There's no guarantee that the Rangers will finish with a better record than the Tigers, or that the Rangers will even make the playoffs. The Angels are very much still in the race. The Red Sox can only control their own destiny and should let the rest of the playoff picture work itself out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the Sox take a dive? : Beckett's a beast, but Verlander's on a mission. Dude's nearly unhittable. As for facing him a possible three times in a series... yeah, exactly.
    Posted by tombirner[/QUOTE]

Beckett isn't a "beast" becuase the Sox refuse to let him pitch more than 6 innings. Verlander would win with a complete game and after the Detroit offense scored all their runs off our pen.

Becketts line of course would be 6IP 0ER and 10K's but that would not mean much in a play-off loss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the Sox take a dive? : Beckett isn't a "beast" becuase the Sox refuse to let him pitch more than 6 innings. Verlander would win with a complete game and after the Detroit offense scored all their runs off our pen. Becketts line of course would be 6IP 0ER and 10K's but that would not mean much in a play-off loss.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

LOL you're right that they've been very careful with Beckett, but he has pitched 7 or more innings in 11 of his 25 starts.  His pitch count has gotten high in a few games.  Last start was only 6 innings but 110 pitches.

In a playoff game I think there's a pretty good chance you're getting Beckett for 7 followed by Bard and Paps.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, do not forget that Leyland as well Scioscia have alot of playoff experience. So therefore, we shouldnt take these teams lightly.  Right now the Angels are #1 best pitching in AL.  But think that Boston should win the division cuz they rather to play at home where the Angels or Texas may not able to handle the cold weather!!

Remember pitching and defense win more games than they lose!!

Go Sox

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

If Youk comes back strong the Sox will beat any team ... we will be pounding the ball again.  Our pitching is solid, and Beckett/Lester gives us the edge over any AL opponent in a series.  

Still hope it is Yankees/Sox for the ALCS ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox will need to win two of three games against the Texas Rangers on Labor Day weekend to gain a split of the season series. The Red Sox did well to win three games in Arlington, but Rangers remain top contenders who last year dispatched two AL East teams in the postseason enroute to the World Series.

The Sox will have a tough matchup, likely with either the Rangers or the Tigers (who Thursday got another solid performance from Doug Fister, who shut out the Sox over 5+ innings in a win earlier this season at Fenway Park). Perhaps Fister and former Seattle rotation mate Erik Bedard will face each other in Game 3 of the American League Divisional Series.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the Sox take a dive? : LOL you're right that they've been very careful with Beckett, but he has pitched 7 or more innings in 11 of his 25 starts.  His pitch count has gotten high in a few games.  Last start was only 6 innings but 110 pitches. In a playoff game I think there's a pretty good chance you're getting Beckett for 7 followed by Bard and Paps.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Hfx what I really wanted to say was that Beckett can be a Verlander pitcher, he has that toughness. However they (brass) have not allowed for this to take hold... 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Sox need better relief from Albers, he has gone down a few pegs since the break.  Can't rely on Aceves all the time, the guy will wear out.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

If they win the WC and lose in the playoffs, they end the season empty handed.

If they win the division, at least they've won the AL East and that is something significant.