Should the Sox trade for Morse?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Should the Sox trade for Morse?

If Naps doesnt sign, what would you offer the nats for 1 year of Mike Morse? hes only owed 6.75M for 2013 and then will be a FA...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/nationals-could-trade-michael-morse.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Should the Sox trade for Morse?

The Nats will almost surely keep him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Naps doesnt sign, what would you offer the nats for 1 year of Mike Morse? hes only owed 6.75M for 2013 and then will be a FA...

[/QUOTE]

If He Has A Season Like He Did In 2011, Welcome To The RedSox, But I Still Think Napoli Will Be A RedSox....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i would actually prefer this to napoli. i thnk a short term option at 1st base is best, it would allow us time to find and aquire a long term option at the postition.

but on the other hand naps is a short term option too as he would most likely DH once papi is gone.. hmmmmmm

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Morse for RF? maybe, for 1B? no way. he never has been a fulltime 1B and he's been a horrible one.  Sox shouldn't give up much for Morse.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftymcrighty. Show Leftymcrighty's posts

Morse can play 1B. Probably cost less than Napoli.

Younger, with enormous power. Right handed hitter. Clutch player. I wish the Sox would consider a trade, instead of chasing overaged, overpaid free agents.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Leftymcrighty's comment:

Morse can play 1B. Probably cost less than Napoli. Younger, with enormous power. Right handed hitter. Clutch player. I wish the Sox would consider a trade, instead of chasing overaged, pverpaid free agents.

Mike Morse, who becomes a free agent following the 2013 season, is less than five months younger than Mike Napoli.

Of course, the shorter commitment has some appeal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Morse would be a good pickup for perhaps Ells-both one year rentals--but the Nats are pretty set in the OF. He's a good player perhaps a young pitcher--saw Ranaudo's name thrown around today. That might work. Perhaps they could extend him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

You don't trade Ellsbury for a one year wonder. Ranaudo has a boatload of potential,but maybe you swap him for a powerhitter. 1b is not Morse's strong position. DH and OF and he's only a marginal OF. Maybe Big Papi becomes the regular 1b man?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You don't trade Ellsbury for a one year wonder. Ranaudo has a boatload of potential,but maybe you swap him for a powerhitter. 1b is not Morse's strong position. DH and OF and he's only a marginal OF. Maybe Big Papi becomes the regular 1b man?

[/QUOTE]

Let's be real honest---Ells was a one year wonder in 2011. He's been a good player but not a superstar. We are losing him after 2013 anyway--if he could return a power hitting 1 B I would do it--that's just me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to Leftymcrighty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Morse can play 1B. Probably cost less than Napoli.

Younger, with enormous power. Right handed hitter. Clutch player. I wish the Sox would consider a trade, instead of chasing overaged, overpaid free agents.

[/QUOTE]

Morse can play 1B.  Ortiz can play 1B as well.  Morse is not a good 1B and he's not certainly in a longterm plan for the Sox.  He does not have enormous power.  He just had one 30+ HR season.  Do you consider Ellsbury an enormous power hitter?  He's going to be 31 when 2013 season opens.  He only has 1 full season in his career.  Why in hell Sox would give up anything for him?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd try a trade and extend, but if he turns down the extend, I'd offer: Morales or Aceves, Brentz, and a prospect below #10..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Let's be real honest---Ells was a one year wonder in 2011. He's been a good player but not a superstar. We are losing him after 2013 anyway--if he could return a power hitting 1 B I would do it--that's just me.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, let's be real honest. There is no one on this team besides Pedroia and Ortiz, that are any good. Build the team around these two guys, even being willing to play Ortiz at 1B with a backup C/1B.

Get two power OFers for LF and RF to compliment Ellsbury. Stick Iglesias at SS and Middlebrooks at 3B and let the chips fall where they may. Make sure there is veteran Utility guy on your bench, perferably with power (DeRosa?).

But first and foremost sign two of the best FA pitchers available. I like Sanchez and Villanueva.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Morse is absolutely worth some due diligence.  It all depends on the asking price...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

With the Winter Meetings starting tomorrow--Sunday--hopefully BenC has done his due diligence.

With all the time Peter A , Nick C, R. Bradford, Alex Speirer, Chad Finn spend writing about the Sox you'd think one would put Ben on the spot and ask him what his plan is to build this team. That would be my first question and I wouldn't stop asking until he presented it.

I wonder what his plan is for the Rotation?

Who are his top 10 FA targets?

What's his plan for this years closer?

What three SS would he trade for?

Would he consider a Platoon at 1 B (Pena and Reynolds/Gomez?

Would he look for Cody to play RF and Gomes in LF with Sands and Nava/Kalish backups?

We as fans Mr.Ben would like some answers not the stand pat replies next week after the Meetings are over: "We laid the groundwork for some moves"--you said that after the GM Meetings. Tell us more! 

"Did you make any headwy with the FA you've targeted?"  We talked with a lot of agents.

BenC--this Boston Kitchen may be too hot--please go to the Cubs and be  Theo's asst. again. This is a very important season for the Sox--is it the beginning of a two year bridge? We need a strong GM that has a plan and is working the plan...

It's probably too harsh but you've got $80 M to build a team with. That's more than a quarter of all teams have for a budget. It's not like he has Pres. O'Bama's job with real pressure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I like Morse as a player, but he has a lenghty injury history.  I also cant see him resigning.  If I was his agent, I would tell him to use Fenway to pad his stats and then hit the open market next year looking for 16M+/yr at least. 

So you are really trading for one year of Morse , who comes w/ a few question marks himself.  The dude's stick is for real, there is no doubting that, and I really like him as a player.  Freak strength.  He was playing w / 2 sore wrists last year, and was still blasting long HR's at an impressive rate.

However, considering where the Nats are (contenders) , and considering Morse's talent , I dont think they are looking to trade him for anything short of what I would deem "too high."

I'm interested in the concept for sure, however, I honestly believe that if we saw the asking price for one yr of Morse, we'd have our reservations.  Like I said though: awesome player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Morse Denard Harper and Werth is one hell of a good depth in the outfield.

Gomes Ellsbury Kalish Nava Sands is one hell of a blank outfield for the Red Sox.

The Nationals OF is probably one of the best in the majors.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

With the Winter Meetings starting tomorrow--Sunday--hopefully BenC has done his due diligence.

With all the time Peter A , Nick C, R. Bradford, Alex Speirer, Chad Finn spend writing about the Sox you'd think one would put Ben on the spot and ask him what his plan is to build this team. That would be my first question and I wouldn't stop asking until he presented it.

Would he look for Cody to play RF and Gomes in LF with Sands and Nava/Kalish backups?

We as fans Mr.Ben would like some answers not the stand pat replies next week after the Meetings are over: "We laid the groundwork for some moves"--you said that after the GM Meetings. Tell us more! 

"Did you make any headwy with the FA you've targeted?"  We talked with a lot of agents.

BenC--this Boston Kitchen may be too hot--please go to the Cubs and be  Theo's asst. again. This is a very important season for the Sox--is it the beginning of a two year bridge? We need a strong GM that has a plan and is working the plan...

It's probably too harsh but you've got $80 M to build a team with. That's more than a quarter of all teams have for a budget. It's not like he has Pres. O'Bama's job with real pressure.

[/QUOTE]

If I was Ben, I would not tell you a thing and probably have secturity remove you from the premisies if you persisted.

I know this team has not really acquired an impact player since Crawford/Gonzalez, but still, slow down.  The actual off-season begins next week, and up until yesterday, the list of available free agents was always incomplete.  Also, most of the players already accounted for should not have been on the Sox radar anyway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why would he reveal any information to the public? if he goes out and says i REALLLLLY want free agents A, B and C other GMs would then bid to run the price up. if he says we GOTTTTA trade for players X, Y and Z the opposing GM would increase his asking price. by revealing nothing, appearing to be "in" on lots of different players, GMs can't shanghai us because we have "options" orappear to have options. the writers you mentioned know this which is why they don't persist. once it becomes general knowledge who we are going after (naps, swish, ross) then they write articles on it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Nats could also talk to KC to send Morse for (prospect) Myers.

I also hope that BC is going to winter meetings with unsign contracts for FA signings or trades. There is some vacancy on the 40 man roster, especially the bullpen roster. Hopefully his first signing/trade will be for top notch pitcher and then right handed hitting power hitter. All the FA's are still out there that can fill in some holes for the Sox.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I also hope that BC is going to winter meetings with unsign contracts for FA signings or trades. There is some vacancy on the 40 man roster, especially the bullpen roster. Hopefully his first signing/trade will be for top notch pitcher and then right handed hitting power hitter. All the FA's are still out there that can fill in some holes for the Sox.

[/QUOTE]

The Royals would NEVER deal Myers for one years of Morse...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Royals would NEVER deal Myers for one years of Morse...

[/QUOTE]

Or 8 years of Morse...everyone assumes the Royals are "trying" to trade Myers and the Sox are trying to trade Lester...obviously not the case.  The Royals want a front end starter, so they looked into Lester, and the Sox listened, as they should have.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Righthander Anthony Ranaudo is 23 years old, has never pitched above Double A (and has only nine games at that level) and sports a minor league career ERA of 4.59, including 6.69 this year.

I've got to think that Ranaudo has limited trade value this offseason.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Morse would be a good pickup for perhaps Ells-both one year rentals--but the Nats are pretty set in the OF. He's a good player perhaps a young pitcher--saw Ranaudo's name thrown around today. That might work. Perhaps they could extend him.

[/QUOTE]

If you were going to trade for him and extend him, why not just sign Napoli and keep whoever you were going to trade?

Sections
Shortcuts