Should theo go after colby rasmus at the trade deadline as a replacement for jd drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Should theo go after colby rasmus at the trade deadline as a replacement for jd drew?

some rumors have come up recently that the cardinals would move colby rasmus for the right price. his numbers are down this year after a pretty good year last year at the age of 23. i strongly believe that given a change in scenery could do wonders for him. there were reports that surfaced in the offseason that he and tony larussa do not get along well and that he wanted the cardinals to trade him.in terms of the return the cardinals will likely be seeking for him, it would consist of a young pitcher, an outfielder, and possibly a young first baseman to replace albert pujols if by chance he does leave after this year. something like reddick/kalish + doubront/weiland would be a fair return. they could be interesed in lars anderson if they do not think pujols will be back. they could also use a middle infielder so someone like yamaico navarro could interest them. what do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: Should theo go after colby rasmus at the trade deadline as a replacement for jd drew?

Another lefty OF, No!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Should theo go after colby rasmus at the trade deadline as a replacement for jd drew?

I think Rasmus is still considered one of the elite young players in the league, and has proven that he can be an all star given patience. I highly doubt that the package mentioned of AAAA of's Reddick or Kalish and #5 starter/long relievers Weiland/Doubront get the deal done.
    One would think that the Cards would want a return of Ranaudo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Actually the Cardinals have corrected that report and said they are happy with him and are not actively shopping him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Should theo go after colby rasmus at the trade deadline as a replacement for jd drew?:
    [QUOTE]some rumors have come up recently that the cardinals would move colby rasmus for the right price. his numbers are down this year after a pretty good year last year at the age of 23. i strongly believe that given a change in scenery could do wonders for him. there were reports that surfaced in the offseason that he and tony larussa do not get along well and that he wanted the cardinals to trade him.in terms of the return the cardinals will likely be seeking for him, it would consist of a young pitcher, an outfielder, and possibly a young first baseman to replace albert pujols if by chance he does leave after this year. something like reddick/kalish + doubront/weiland would be a fair return. they could be interesed in lars anderson if they do not think pujols will be back. they could also use a middle infielder so someone like yamaico navarro could interest them. what do you guys think?
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Not the player we need, the two we could use, each got a hit last night but I doubt we can afford them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Nope. Theo can fill nicely from within, especially when CC comes off the DL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

from what i understand, rasmus, like drew, has an injury prone issue; the main reason he and larussa don't get along. btw, drew and larussa didn't get along for the same reason.
    so i say NO to going after rasmus.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

The Cardinals will want pitching for Colby Rasmus and Theo has none to offer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Should theo go after colby rasmus at the trade deadline as a replacement for jd drew?:
    [QUOTE]from what i understand, rasmus, like drew, has an injury prone issue; the main reason he and larussa don't get along. btw, drew and larussa didn't get along for the same reason. so i say NO to going after rasmus.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]

Larussa routinely throws his players under the bus in the press after they leave as free agents (see Renteria), which is what he did to Drew when he signed with the Braves...it's one of his few flaws as a manager. I can't wait to see what he has to say about Puljos when he signs with another team...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

First, none of us know the actual seriousness of the Sox's injuries to pitching staff. That being said if there is anything wrong with primary starters this should get addressed first. Otherwise, another arm for the pen and a Right Handed bat would be nice and next on the list. If Sox can get Pence they should, otherwise go back to SD and do a one stop shop of Bell and Ludwick. As much as would rather Beltran my gut says the Mets want more than the Sox have or should spend in prospects to acquire him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Another lefty bat that would cost you as much as the superb Hunter Pence.
    NO!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from haste. Show haste's posts

We need to get more production out of RF then JD is giving us.  Last I looked Tek (part time) had more RBI's. Tito should play more young guys.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mickey-VA. Show Mickey-VA's posts

I'd try to get Hunter Pence from the Astros...  We could package Lavarnway, and Lars Anderson, see if they take that... they could use youth and talent at first and catcher, and these guys are both knocking on the door... Pence, btw, is a RIGHT handed batter... he's 28, hitting like 323... not a sppedster, but will steal the occasional base, and plays decent of... Plus arm in the of... 

If Houston wants more, then I say we sit... No way we part with Reddick or Kalish in that deal... And no deal unless we can get a contract agreement-in-principle ahead of time... No way we put Lavarnway in any package deal for a stretch-run rental...  But we do have to do something with him rather quickly.. His star is rising, and we need to either bring him up or trade him... no way he sits another year.... If we bring him up and platoon him with Salty, or let him backup Salty, we fritter away any chance of getting max value for him... It's either that or make the catching job an open competition between Salty and Lavarnway, starting in September, carrying over to Spring Training...

No way I can see any lh of out there with more upside than Reddick/Kalish, given their age, and their play so far (and that includes Ethier)...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Pence is far from a rental, which is a reason why Houston isn't hot to trade him.
    I'd give Reddick or Kalish in the deal in a hearbeat to make that trade.
    Pence has 50 assists in four years. That's from RF. Gun like Dewey.
    Totally consistent. Everyone likes him. Perfect fit.
    No left handed hitters better than Kalish and Reddick??? Better do some research. Didn't Jason Heyward of the Braves make the All Star team as a starter at 21 years old? Freddie Freman is 22 and having a nice year for the Braves. Ethier is 29, but has a .294 career BA.  Jay Bruce buries Reddick and Kalish.
    I love it when, just because a guy is from the home town team, he becomes a superstar based on nothing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

In Response to Re: Should theo go after colby rasmus at the trade deadline as a replacement for jd drew?:
    [QUOTE]  I'd try to get Hunter Pence from the Astros...  We could package Lavarnway, and Lars Anderson, see if they take that... they could use youth and talent at first and catcher, and these guys are both knocking on the door... Pence, btw, is a RIGHT handed batter... he's 28, hitting like 323... not a sppedster, but will steal the occasional base, and plays decent of... Plus arm in the of...    If Houston wants more, then I say we sit... No way we part with Reddick or Kalish in that deal... And no deal unless we can get a contract agreement-in-principle ahead of time... No way we put Lavarnway in any package deal for a stretch-run rental...  But we do have to do something with him rather quickly.. His star is rising, and we need to either bring him up or trade him... no way he sits another year.... If we bring him up and platoon him with Salty, or let him backup Salty, we fritter away any chance of getting max value for him... It's either that or make the catching job an open competition between Salty and Lavarnway, starting in September, carrying over to Spring Training...    No way I can see any lh of out there with more upside than Reddick/Kalish, given their age, and their play so far (and that includes Ethier)...
    Posted by Mickey-VA[/QUOTE]
    If the Red Sox get Pence the Sox would have Els,Craw,and him under contract thru 2014, I believe. Based on that including one of the two in a deal will probably take place

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Sox need power hitting RH in RF.  That is not Hunter Pence. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yeah, he only hits 25 homers every year. Who'd want that when not one of the Sox outfielders except Drew has ever hit more than 22.
    You make great sense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, he only hits 25 homers every year. Who'd want that when not one of the Sox outfielders except Drew has ever hit more than 22. You make great sense.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the cannon Right arm that is compared to Dwight Evans. Pence is a perfect fit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Pence?  Yes.  Rasmus?  No.  Justin Upton?  Hell yes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

[QUOTE]Pence?  Yes.  Rasmus?  No.  Justin Upton?  Hell yes.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

If Theo pulls Justin Upton out of a hat, I better never hear another complaint EVER about his GM skills

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

[QUOTE]I think Rasmus is still considered one of the elite young players in the league, and has proven that he can be an all star given patience. I highly doubt that the package mentioned of AAAA of's Reddick or Kalish and #5 starter/long relievers Weiland/Doubront get the deal done. One would think that the Cards would want a return of Ranaudo
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    Jitterbug Jake is a AAAA OF, not Reddick and Kalish. If we don't pursue Matt Kemp, then CF should belong to Kalish and RF should be Reddick's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Just shut the hell up.
    Your act was worn out a long time ago.
    Your dislike of Jacoby Ellsbury borders on pathological.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Rasmus, NO. Ludwick, NO.

Blockbuster for Kemp long term, or prospect raid for Beltran rental , NO and NO.

Small costs for F. Liriano or E. Jackson rental ??  YES.

Long term deal for Cuddyer or Pence, YES. But VERY Unlikely.

Small deal for Francoeur or Baker , Yes...and MOST probable.

Also love to see Soria or Heath Bell as closer insurance, but then I'd like good looks, $ 150 million and Jessica Alba for a girlfriend too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Speaking ONLY of Rasmus, I'd want him in a heartbeat. He spoke up about his unhappiness last year in St Louis, and Larussa and Pujops absolutely rupped him to shreds in the press. Pujols even saying "if he doesn't want to be here, get him the h e l l out then."

I'm not aware of the injury issue. He does seem to have a little of an attitude, but that's tough to judge from afar. I would be thrilled to see the Sox aquire Rasmus, and then move Jacoby onto another team. Say, if the Sox ended up trading Ellsbury, and 3/4 of their top prospects and ended up with Kemp/Rasmus, Rasmus/Upton I'd be perfectly happy.

As far as the many OFers mentioned here regularly, my ranking would go:

Kemp
    Upton
    Rasmus
    Ethier
    Chris Young (my dark horse pick)

I'd ONLY want Beltran for a small price, and I'd be ok with Ludwick if they don't really have to give up anything.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Rasmus is a punk who runs his mouth, and annoys his teammates.
    He's unprofessional and a big baby.
    Everyone gets along with Albert Pujols.
    Who needs a headache like that?

Sections
Shortcuts