Should Theo sign Pedro Martinez?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Should Theo sign Pedro Martinez?

From MLB Trade Rumorswww.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martipe02.shtml" target="_self">
    Pedro Martinez
    isn't ready to announce his retirement just yet, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com (Spanish link).  Martinez also says that he envisions himself in a Sandy Koufax-type role with a club.

The following is a story from April, 2011:

Pedro Martinez wouldn't mind finishing career with Red Sox

by Bob Harkins/NBC Sports   

pedro-110409.standard[1]

Every once in a while someone gets ahold of www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1741" class="nameLink">Pedro Martinez, talks to him about what he’s doing these days, and then gets around to asking the inevitable question: “Are you going to play again?”

Martinez has consistently said his return to baseball is unlikely, and that might still be true. But his tune is changing just a bit. Speaking to Joe Brescia of the New York Times, Martinez said he is not only interested in returning to MLB, but would prefer to finish up his career in Boston and officially retire as a member of the Red Sox.

I’d probably have to say the Red Sox. I would like to win a World Series in the National League, so the Phillies are in there, too. But for the time I’m going to be playing, I think Boston is more suitable so that I can retire with the Boston Red Sox and go to the Hall of Fame with the same hat.

Are you listening, Theo Epstein? After Clay Buchholz’s start today, you might want to consider it. Although, at the current pace, stocking up on arms for a pennant chase might be a pointless endeavor.

Martinez, 39, said he is in good shape right now and could be ready to take a mound within a month or so if need be. Over the course of his 18-year career, the certain Hall of Famer struck out 3,154 batters in 2,827.1 innings, going 219-100 with a 2.93 ERA. He last played in 2009 for the Phillies, when he was 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA in nine games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Should Theo sign Pedro Martinez?

In Response to Should Theo sign Pedro Martinez?:
    [QUOTE]From MLB Trade Rumors www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/martipe02.shtml " target="_self" /> Pedro Martinez isn't ready to announce his retirement just yet, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com ( Spanish link ).  Martinez also says that he envisions himself in a Sandy Koufax -type role with a club. The following is a story from April, 2011: Pedro Martinez wouldn't mind finishing career with Red Sox by Bob Harkins /NBC Sports    Every once in a while someone gets ahold of www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1741 " class="nameLink"> Pedro Martinez , talks to him about what he’s doing these days, and then gets around to asking the inevitable question: “Are you going to play again?” Martinez has consistently said his return to baseball is unlikely, and that might still be true. But his tune is changing just a bit. Speaking to Joe Brescia of the New York Times , Martinez said he is not only interested in returning to MLB, but would prefer to finish up his career in Boston and officially retire as a member of the Red Sox. I’d probably have to say the Red Sox. I would like to win a World Series in the National League, so the Phillies are in there, too. But for the time I’m going to be playing, I think Boston is more suitable so that I can retire with the Boston Red Sox and go to the Hall of Fame with the same hat. Are you listening, Theo Epstein? After Clay Buchholz’s start today , you might want to consider it. Although, at the current pace, stocking up on arms for a pennant chase might be a pointless endeavor. Martinez, 39, said he is in good shape right now and could be ready to take a mound within a month or so if need be. Over the course of his 18-year career, the certain Hall of Famer struck out 3,154 batters in 2,827.1 innings, going 219-100 with a 2.93 ERA. He last played in 2009 for the Phillies, when he was 5-1 with a 3.63 ERA in nine games.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

I would have to say No at this point.  If Pedro has yet to throw a pitch this season I doubt he would help us much.  When Pedro left in favor of the Mets his AL numbers had already begun to decline against some of the better hitters he once dominated, much like Clemens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't know about this, I mean he is nearly as old as ... oh no wait he isn't. Pedro is actually younger than Wake.... 

I would like to see Pedro here but I do not want him to embarrass himself .. he left here a champion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Should Theo sign Pedro Martinez?:
    [QUOTE]I don't know about this, I mean he is nearly as old as ... oh no wait he isn't. Pedro is actually younger than Wake....  I would like to see Pedro here but I do not want him to embarrass himself .. he left here a champion.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Same here Buritto, Pedro went out in style and it was well deserved but he probably wouldn't help our cause much at this point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes if we had a crystal ball and he could be effective then yes... but in all likelihood it will be a blemish on our memories.

He is a near legend to me, and I am the same age as him!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

can he learn to throw the knuckle ball?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know about this, I mean he is nearly as old as ... oh no wait he isn't. Pedro is actually younger than Wake....  I would like to see Pedro here but I do not want him to embarrass himself .. he left here a champion.

Agree.  I am not sure that he would be any help.  We definitely need pitching help, but I don't think Pedro is the answer. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Yes if we had a crystal ball and he could be effective then yes... but in all likelihood it will be a blemish on our memories. He is a near legend to me, and I am the same age as him!

Agreed....and I doubt he'd sign a minor league contract to prove himself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

I would hate to see Pedro pull the Willie Mays thing of hanging on far beyond his time, tinging the sterling legacy. Too many athletes hang on too long e.g. Favre, etc. Thanks for the wonderful memories Pedro!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

When will this stop?

In order to win you look to the future, you don't seek help form the past.

The Sox would be more likely to introduce a young pitcher from the farm system and have him fill a roll in hopes that they find lightning in a bottle, than they are likely to bring back an older player from their history that would cost more and be questionable as far as ability to get batters out.

What next? Don Baylor to be a right hand bat off the bench?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

"What next? Don Baylor to be a right hand bat off the bench?"
    ---------------------------

He was always good for a"Hit By Pitch".That was his specialty. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joken04. Show joken04's posts

Pedro or even Bill Lee would be better that Lackey !!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

I agree, he couldn't do much worst then LACKey

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE]Pedro or even Bill Lee would be better that Lackey !!!
    Posted by joken04[/QUOTE]

Maybe Mike Torrez is available.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

considering lackey is just garbage. Pedro would be worth a shot

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think you will find Pedro is NOT better than Lackey at this stage of his life.

It is romantic to think there will be this scenerio where Pedro Martinez rides into town on a white horse , has regained his 97 MPH fastball , has the mound presence of a potential Hall of Famer and Cy Young winner.

Only thing is this: That Pedro is pre-2005. We are talking some 6 years now since he's been a force.

I love the guy , but there is a reason why he is not in some team's rotation making big bucks right now.

He's no longer MLB caliber. He'd likely embarass himself and I'd rather not witness this. I want to remember Pedro as he was.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

If we didn't have anyone else, I would at least consider it.  At least see what kind of shape he is in and how hard he throws.  Obviously, he won't be as good as he was in his prime, but I don't think he would be an emarrassment either.

It doesn't hurt to look at him though.  Does he even want to comeback?  I know in preseason there was some talk, but I haven't heard anything about him in awhile now.

** But, this really isn't that pressing of an issue.  We do have Wake, Miller (who looked good) and Aceves.

Sections
Shortcuts