Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes?

People e-mail all the time asking whether the Red Sox should try and get a certain player. Usually it's wishful thinking.

But when a reader named Matt e-mailed today and asked whether the Sox should pursue a trade for Jose Reyes in the wake of Jed Lowrie's shoulder injury, I had to at least stop and think about it.

A few things to consider:

1. The first step is to figure out how injured Lowrie is, obviously. If he's going to be fine in a month, there's no point in making a trade.

2. Then decide how you view Marco Scutaro or the possibility of using Jose Iglesias. Based on his poor hitting in AAA (.224/.263/.229), Jose is nowhere near ready. But Scutaro is a solid major league shortstop.

3. Realize that Reyes is a rental. The Sox invested $8 million in Iglesias. They're not going to give up on him after less than two years. Reyes could be a fantastic player for three months but then he's going somewhere else for big money.

4. The Mets need payroll relief. But Reyes is their superstar. This would be like the Red Sox falling on hard times and deciding to deal Dustin Pedroia. The Mets would want a lot for Reyes and GM Sandy Alderson is no dope. He's not taking Josh Reddick and a bag of rocks.

5. Do they need him? The Sox already have a high-powered offense. Reyes would make it even better. But pitching wins. Trading for Reyes would use up chips that could be used to pursue a pitcher if that need arise.

6. Think of the future. The Sox gave up three major prospects to obtain Adrian Gonzalez. You can't keep looting the farm system.

It's fun to think about it and Reyes is a fun player to watch. But this would be a move that requires a lot of debate. It's hard to imagine at the moment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes?

In Response to Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes?:
    [QUOTE]By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff People e-mail all the time asking whether the Red Sox should try and get a certain player. Usually it's wishful thinking. But when a reader named Matt e-mailed today and asked whether the Sox should pursue a trade for Jose Reyes in the wake of Jed Lowrie's shoulder injury, I had to at least stop and think about it. A few things to consider: 1. The first step is to figure out how injured Lowrie is, obviously. If he's going to be fine in a month, there's no point in making a trade. 2. Then decide how you view Marco Scutaro or the possibility of using Jose Iglesias. Based on his poor hitting in AAA (.224/.263/.229), Jose is nowhere near ready. But Scutaro is a solid major league shortstop. 3. Realize that Reyes is a rental. The Sox invested $8 million in Iglesias. They're not going to give up on him after less than two years. Reyes could be a fantastic player for three months but then he's going somewhere else for big money. 4. The Mets need payroll relief. But Reyes is their superstar. This would be like the Red Sox falling on hard times and deciding to deal Dustin Pedroia. The Mets would want a lot for Reyes and GM Sandy Alderson is no dope. He's not taking Josh Reddick and a bag of rocks. 5. Do they need him? The Sox already have a high-powered offense. Reyes would make it even better. But pitching wins. Trading for Reyes would use up chips that could be used to pursue a pitcher if that need arise. 6. Think of the future. The Sox gave up three major prospects to obtain Adrian Gonzalez. You can't keep looting the farm system. It's fun to think about it and Reyes is a fun player to watch. But this would be a move that requires a lot of debate. It's hard to imagine at the moment.

Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

But Reyes is their superstar. This would be like the Red Sox falling on hard times and deciding to deal Dustin Pedroia.

Except that reyes is leading the majors in batting and the hobbit...err...he has not played like a "superstar" since '08.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

where would you bat him if you were dumb enough to rent him for good prospects? with Scutaro, Navarro (off DL), Sutton and if all of those guys went down we would at least have good d with Iggy..They have tons of offense..I see no need..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : But Reyes is their superstar. This would be like the Red Sox falling on hard times and deciding to deal Dustin Pedroia. Except that reyes is leading the majors in batting and the hobbit...err...he has not played like a "superstar" since '08.
    Posted by --The--Babe---[/QUOTE]
    Actually, what should have followed "except" is that Pedroia is the heart and soul of the Red Sox. I've never heard anyone refer to Reyes, an outstanding talent, as the heart and soul of the Mets.

Again, and I know I'll be sorry I asked, where did "hobbit" come from?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : Actually, what should have followed "except" is that Pedroia is the heart and soul of the Red Sox. I've never heard anyone refer to Reyes, an outstanding talent, as the heart and soul of the Mets. Again, and I know I'll be sorry I asked, where did "hobbit" come from?

Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I agree, I don't think that reyes will ever be the heart and soul of anything.

I think he looks like a hobbit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

actually, baby, i think JETER looks a lot like OPRAH.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]actually, baby, i think JETER looks a lot like OPRAH.

Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

Speaking of look a likes......

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q3DVmYfGJ_I/TcFpa4ncv3I/AAAAAAAABWg/rM8f41680eQ/s400/Big+Poppi.png

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : Speaking of look a likes...... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q3DVmYfGJ_I/TcFpa4ncv3I/AAAAAAAABWg/rM8f41680eQ/s400/Big+Poppi.png
    Oh, yeah ...  I have to admit I see that.

But I had to go to Wikipedia to see what a hobbit is. I guess there are gaps in my education.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : Speaking of look a likes...... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q3DVmYfGJ_I/TcFpa4ncv3I/AAAAAAAABWg/rM8f41680eQ/s400/Big+Poppi.png

there is a poster here, the name slips my mind, That has their avatar with papis body and Esther Rolles face..Its pretty scary how similar they look.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : Oh, yeah ...  I have to admit I see that. But I had to go to Wikipedia to see what a hobbit is. I guess there are gaps in my education.

Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

The best part is they both have the gap in their front teeth....here's another....

http://boston.3432.voxcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/2010/05/floridaevansvsortiz-480x320.jpg

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

she must be known as 'big mami.'

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : But Reyes is their superstar. This would be like the Red Sox falling on hard times and deciding to deal Dustin Pedroia. Except that reyes is leading the majors in batting and the hobbit...err...he has not played like a "superstar" since '08.

Although this is totally unnecessary, let's recap:

Pedroia
    -Was arguably the most valuable player in '08, an excellent all-around hitter at a prime position, great baserunner, great defender, key in the clubhouse
    -In '09, he repeats all of the above, except he takes a step back offensively...aww, too bad, he was only a clear All-Star instead of an MVP
    -In '10, he again is doing all of the above, and was having perhaps his best year with the bat, until a fluke injury (that he tried to return early from)
    -This year, he understandably has struggled with having a PIECE OF METAL in his FOOT...yet even with the reasonable bat struggles, he still provides all the other benefits he ALWAYS has

Reyes
    -Was also excellent in '08, though his flashy offensive numbers are a notch below Pedroia's in true value. Meanwhile, he plays good (but not great) defense at another premium position, is a great baserunner, and makes at least a dozen boneheaded plays (as he does every year) while being quiet in the clubhouse
    -In '09, Reyes struggles through May 20th before going on the DL with a calf strain...and DOESN'T RETURN for the rest of the year! Basically, this is his version of Pedroia's '10, except it's a shorter season, a far worse season, and he flopped in his middling attempt to return from a FAR less serious injury
    -In '10, Reyes plays most of the season and understandably struggles due to the lingering effects of other muscle injuries he suffered while rehabbing the previous year. Sound familiar? Except that Pedroia has been better this year than Reyes was in ALL of '10 (and we can hope that Pedroia will get at least a bit better as he adjusts to his foot)
    -Fully recovered, Reyes makes up for lost time, putting together (so far) the best season of his career. Probably not sustainable, given that his BA is 48 points higher than his career high, but good for him

I don't say all this to knock Reyes...I just think it's important that everyone realize that Pedroia is not only very much at Reyes's level, but that Pedroia has also been the far better player from '08 on. A lot of Pedroia's value isn't in his hitting numbers (but unlike Derek Jeter's "intangibles", they're actually quite tangible), but even his hitting numbers line up well with Reyes.

And before you dare take the "what have you done for me lately?" route with these two players, why don't you admire what Pedroia is doing this year despite the pain he's playing in, and look forward to what he'll do next year when this is all behind him? As Reyes has shown, we can expect some good stuff...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

It also might surprise some that Pedroia is only 27, and therefore likely only entering his prime (just as Reyes is busting it out in his age 28 season). Pedroia's physical abilites shouldn't begin declining until after age 30, but every year adds more experience, so we likely haven't seen the best from him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes?:
    [QUOTE]By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff People e-mail all the time asking whether the Red Sox should try and get a certain player. Usually it's wishful thinking. But when a reader named Matt e-mailed today and asked whether the Sox should pursue a trade for Jose Reyes in the wake of Jed Lowrie's shoulder injury, I had to at least stop and think about it. A few things to consider: 1. The first step is to figure out how injured Lowrie is, obviously. If he's going to be fine in a month, there's no point in making a trade. 2. Then decide how you view Marco Scutaro or the possibility of using Jose Iglesias. Based on his poor hitting in AAA (.224/.263/.229), Jose is nowhere near ready. But Scutaro is a solid major league shortstop. 3. Realize that Reyes is a rental. The Sox invested $8 million in Iglesias. They're not going to give up on him after less than two years. Reyes could be a fantastic player for three months but then he's going somewhere else for big money. 4. The Mets need payroll relief. But Reyes is their superstar. This would be like the Red Sox falling on hard times and deciding to deal Dustin Pedroia. The Mets would want a lot for Reyes and GM Sandy Alderson is no dope. He's not taking Josh Reddick and a bag of rocks. 5. Do they need him? The Sox already have a high-powered offense. Reyes would make it even better. But pitching wins. Trading for Reyes would use up chips that could be used to pursue a pitcher if that need arise. 6. Think of the future. The Sox gave up three major prospects to obtain Adrian Gonzalez. You can't keep looting the farm system. It's fun to think about it and Reyes is a fun player to watch. But this would be a move that requires a lot of debate. It's hard to imagine at the moment.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

I understand and agree with your point.  I also believe, if you have a week position and means to improve it you should.  The only problem is Reyes will be a top FA demanding big bucks and we have Iglesias who Theo believes can and will take over after we invested around 8 mil for him.  Look for us to go after another starter, RF or catcher if things don't work out with the youngsters but we won't be handing out a contract or trading anyone of significance for Reyes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Scutaro and Lowrie are mediocre both in the field and at the plate. Reyes would be an incredible upgrade over both of them and it would be crazy not to do the deal if what we're giving up is prospects.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE] Scutaro and Lowrie are mediocre both in the field and at the plate. Reyes would be an incredible upgrade over both of them and it would be crazy not to do the deal if what we're giving up is prospects.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Reyes would be an incredible addition to our lineup if he stayed healthy but Theo covits Iglesias much like he did Clay.  It would be quite an interesting move to see us go after Reyes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

It's hard to mention the Drew, Lugo, Wily Mo and Gagne deals but we went after Adrian Gonzalez and how has that work out? It's never without risks but as I look back I also don't think we would have won the WS without Curt Shilling.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE] It's hard to mention the Drew, Lugo, Wily Mo and Gagne deals but we went after Adrian Gonzalez and how has that work out? It's never without risks but as I look back I also don't think we would have won the WS without Curt Shilling.
    Posted by trouts[/QUOTE]

Schilling and AGon are completely different than dealing for a rental player.  Also, Drew and Lugo weren't acquired via trade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : Although this is totally unnecessary, let's recap: Pedroia -Was arguably the most valuable player in '08, an excellent all-around hitter at a prime position, great baserunner, great defender, key in the clubhouse -In '09, he repeats all of the above, except he takes a step back offensively...aww, too bad, he was only a clear All-Star instead of an MVP -In '10, he again is doing all of the above, and was having perhaps his best year with the bat, until a fluke injury (that he tried to return early from) -This year, he understandably has struggled with having a PIECE OF METAL in his FOOT...yet even with the reasonable bat struggles, he still provides all the other benefits he ALWAYS has Reyes -Was also excellent in '08, though his flashy offensive numbers are a notch below Pedroia's in true value. Meanwhile, he plays good (but not great) defense at another premium position, is a great baserunner, and makes at least a dozen boneheaded plays (as he does every year) while being quiet in the clubhouse -In '09, Reyes struggles through May 20th before going on the DL with a calf strain...and DOESN'T RETURN for the rest of the year! Basically, this is his version of Pedroia's '10, except it's a shorter season, a far worse season, and he flopped in his middling attempt to return from a FAR less serious injury -In '10, Reyes plays most of the season and understandably struggles due to the lingering effects of other muscle injuries he suffered while rehabbing the previous year. Sound familiar? Except that Pedroia has been better this year than Reyes was in ALL of '10 (and we can hope that Pedroia will get at least a bit better as he adjusts to his foot) -Fully recovered, Reyes makes up for lost time, putting together (so far) the best season of his career. Probably not sustainable, given that his BA is 48 points higher than his career high, but good for him I don't say all this to knock Reyes...I just think it's important that everyone realize that Pedroia is not only very much at Reyes's level, but that Pedroia has also been the far better player from '08 on. A lot of Pedroia's value isn't in his hitting numbers (but unlike Derek Jeter's "intangibles", they're actually quite tangible), but even his hitting numbers line up well with Reyes. And before you dare take the "what have you done for me lately?" route with these two players, why don't you admire what Pedroia is doing this year despite the pain he's playing in, and look forward to what he'll do next year when this is all behind him? As Reyes has shown, we can expect some good stuff...

Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

Who says pedroia will play better next year? That remains to be seen. He hasn't been a superstar since '08, despite whatever you want to believe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

No!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : Who says pedroia will play better next year? That remains to be seen. He hasn't been a superstar since '08, despite whatever you want to believe.

Pedroia is a huge part of our teams success and fan favorite so it would take a few pretty bad years or major injury to see him replaced kind of like David.  Watch out for Navarro, I hope the Sox keep him because he has some serious potential.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

No. Non. Nyet. Nein. Nie. Iiya.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : Pedroia is a huge part of our teams success and fan favorite so it would take a few pretty bad years or major injury to see him replaced kind of like David.  Watch out for Navarro, I hope the Sox keep him because he has some serious potential.

Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

While he is a fan favorite he has not been a huge part of the team's success this year. What he accomplished in 08 is irrelevant at this point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : While he is a fan favorite he has not been a huge part of the team's success this year. What he accomplished in 08 is irrelevant at this point.

No, you are quite right.  the only part he has played in the Sox success thus far has been #1 Yankee Spanker.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Theo trade for Jose Reyes? : there is a poster here, the name slips my mind, That has their avatar with papis body and Esther Rolles face..Its pretty scary how similar they look.....
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE crix..