Should Valentine be fired??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Should Valentine be fired??

For those who think Valentine should and/or will be fired, 

Should it be done now or at seasons end??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Should Valentine be fired??

Now, you can still, even now, win 8 of 10 and be right back in it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I was the only one here asking for his head in May. Nothing's changed to change my mind on that. He's not a good fit--(heard that part before? tough, he's not).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

J he doesn't have the players, particularly in regard to starting pitching.  He's a good manager, you have to give him time as well as the front office to make some changes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Hire whoever you want from the current coaching staff or hire Varitek or hire Mike Stanley, or hire any coach who will do this
    1. Follow explicitly what the FO wants to do.
    After that, see if the guy has any skill to be long-term.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

If I thought there was a great replacement I might say yes.  If they fire him now the replacement would likely be Bogar.  And Bogar would be quickly overwhelmed by the crapstorm that is the 2012 Red Sox.  I say let Valentine ride this crazy train to the end of the season.  At that point everybody needs to be evaluated from the head on down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i dont think its BVs fault... between the injuries and (what seems like) the FO not letting him run the team the way he wants.

aside from a handful of questionable decisions and some bad BP moves in the seasons beginning i think hes done a pretty good job considering the aforementioned issues hes having as manager.

the media are the ones who should be fired not BV

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Oh, so give up, now, hf? Ok, I don't want a Sox team that gives up....time left to still make noise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Should Valentine be fired??:
    [QUOTE]For those who think Valentine should and/or will be fired,  do it now or seasons end??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]
    Interesting question. If you whack him now, the field of candidates is tiny. You'd almost be forced to promote Bogar or Royster. And chances are it would do little to turn around this season.

For the record, though I was against his hiring, I'm not saying he is the sole reason for this train wreck of a season. But unquestionably he's a part of it.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Seems the O's had a major turnaround when bucky boy was made leader with basically the same team that was looking like a AA team...Question is, is there a guy that this team will respond to like that?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

hey, does anyone even remember the Los Angeles Kings? Just a few months ago? Anyone? Guess what happened to their head coach in the second half of the season--HE WAS FIRED. Brian Sutter took over, they changed everything, they won the Stanley Cup. Fire BV NOW!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired??:
    [QUOTE]Oh, so give up, now, hf? Ok, I don't want a Sox team that gives up....time left to still make noise.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

If I thought there was someone who could turn this around I might say yes.  I just don't think anyone could step into this mess right now and succeed, least of all an inexperienced guy like Bogar.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think it is a foregone conclusion that he will be fired.  It's the old thing about not being able to fire 25 players , etc.  This group of spoiled rotten , overpaid , underperforming players will soon have the distinction of getting two managers fired in one year.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

not thinking outside the box. No one said it has to be Bogar.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]not thinking outside the box. No one said it has to be Bogar.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

So who's your pick?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Honestly, HF, it doesn't matter. It matters more that it's not BV. The idea is to change the atmosphere of the dugout and clubhouse. Change the leader on a disgruntled team and things at least have a shot at working it out. I said Royster, myself.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Valentine is not a good fit.  Who would be?  Grossly overpaid players who all peaked two or so years ago who can't close out games. This team is one of the worst groups in Red Sox history.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Very little of this is Valentine's fault. He wasn't even allowed to choose his own coaches. He wasn't involved in the personnel decisions that gave him a pitching staff that is TENTH in the league. Managers cannot make wine out of water. Here is a good article about the restrictions placed on him in this job, with apologies if its posted elsewhere:

Conditioned for failure

Sox manager’s job comes with caveats
    Ron Borges

Funny the things you stumble across while perusing the help wanted section on Monster.com.

TOP MANAGEMENT POSITION AVAILABLE IN BOSTON

JOB DESCRIPTION: High-stress, high-profile, low-paying management employment. Must accept full responsibility for anything that goes wrong and take no credit for anything that goes right. Low self-esteem a decided asset for this position.
    CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:

• Cannot criticize employees.

• Cannot make sarcastic remarks in the workplace.

• Cannot fill out lineup card without first consulting with team doctor, team trainer, team masseuse, team chiropractor, team dentist, team orthodontist, team psychiatrist, team psychologist, team ophthalmologist, team nutritionist, team physical therapist, team bus driver and closest two relatives of all uniformed team employees.

• Cannot have prior knowledge of any assistants. Can, however, hire one friend to look over the shoulder of company-appointed top aide-de-camp just to be sure none of you trust each other.

• Can use the word “snitch” when discussing team matters but cannot use snitch’s name . . . except on the lineup card.

• Cannot speak to any assistants unless they speak to you first. Exception made if you must call the bullpen, but please keep it brief.

• Cannot expect full effort from employees more than four days in a row by order of medical staff.

• Cannot ask pitching coach to go to the mound against his will. It’s a long walk on humid nights.

• Cannot speak to rookies in surly manner. Example of acceptable approach: Please say “Sir” when addressing Sir Will Middlebrooks.

• Cannot point out booting two balls in same inning is somewhat below company expectations, as we no longer have any expectations in this company. We feel expectations are too stressful on the employees. Exception made for sales staff.

• Must make every exchange a positive work experience. Example: “Sir Will, I understand those balls were nigh impossible to catch, seeing as how they were bouncing along the ground at such a rapid clip. We appreciate your efforts, failed though they might have been. Keep up the good work . . . if you’d like. If not, we understand the pressure you’re under here at Camp Yawkey Fields.”

• Cannot suggest a struggling starting pitcher work out of the bullpen. This is considered threatening to his (or her) self-esteem and could lead to a spate of hit batsmen, walks, loud doubles off The Wall (good seats available there for your friends, $200 each) and public embarrassment. Company position is you are the only employee who can be publicly embarrassed.
    • Cannot order out during games but your employees can. A man gets hungry on the job, especially if he has to watch others doing it while he rests four days out of every five.

• Cannot speak to the media in a flippant manner. They don’t appreciate it.

• Will be provided voluminous statistical assistance. Some might actually mean something. We will tell you what does and what does not after the night’s work is done and HAL is consulted.
    • Consultant available at all times to help you make decisions. He lives in Kansas, right next door to Auntie Em. Easy to find if you care to visit him; just take a right at the statue of Joe Paterno.

• You may ride your bike to work but please don’t expect employees to ride bikes. They might pull an oblique.

• Full medical insurance provided, including employee assistance program. Feel free to make use of the latter. Your secrets are safe with us. Just ask the last guy in this job.

• You will be provided a full complement of pitchers. Some may appear to be made out of tissue paper but try to be understanding. They only get 18 days off a year, or so we’ve been told. We insist you factor in the difficulty of their lives in any and all decision making.

• Full strength and conditioning staff on hand. Well-stocked weight room available, although much of the equipment is a little dusty these days.

• No sit-ups allowed.

• You may show training videos on clubhouse TVs at spring training but once team arrives in Boston, abandon this practice. Many uniformed employees are ardent followers of “The Young and the Restless” and “Judge Judy.” Why do you think we call it a “clubhouse” and not a “workplace?”

• Must buy at least 10 Red Sox [team stats] bricks per year. Adobe doesn’t come cheap in Boston.

• Must be open to team concept. After all, it’s what we’re all about.

• Job includes regular radio and TV appearances. It is expected you will say nothing on them. Failure to adhere to this policy could result in apologizing to any offended employee.

• Cannot write a book about the insanity of your working conditions after you leave unless published by Fenway Park [map] Press.

Please send applications, resume and references to:

Larry “Lucky” Lucchino
    4 Yawkey Way
    Boston, MA 02215

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]J-Bay is on record that his business / personal dealings has soured him on BV. Now he starts a thread asking if he should be fired. A personal grudge evolves into a baseball question. Where is the impartiality and objectivity?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]
    Dude, we're fans, not members of the media. We're not supposed to be impartial or objective.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

LMFAO, lloyd. I think this is the point where Calzone is being chased by 2 guys in white jackets. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to "Should Valentine be fired??": [QUOTE]For those who think Valentine should and/or will be fired,  Should it be done now or at seasons end?? Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE] He stays, he has weak support from the owners. Ownership is the divisive tool that caters to the whining players. Waivers for some of the malcontents seems appropriate, can we waiver Cherrington as well?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I am flexible, I want BV fired, how's that for flexibility? I never once asked for Tito's head in a Sox jersey. I asked for Jimy to be fired about 7,000 times though.

Sections
Shortcuts