Should Valentine be fired??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Should Valentine be fired??

In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired??:
    [QUOTE]The tactical errors are piling up now. Sure, he was given a pile of horse manure as a roster, but leaving Aceves in the game tonite and allowing Mauer to hit were obvious mistakes. I am on the fence about retaining him next year-just for his tactical mistakes alone.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

You could live with the off-field craziness, just like you could with a Billy Martin, but he just isn't a good tactical manager.  It's amazing how many people are still defending him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]We all know he players are s hitting the bed!  That does not mean Bobby V. shouldn't go.
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

I'd have half the team on waivers, but BV is still a bad manager.  The only thing keeping him here is that everyone knows that Ben didn't want him.  If/when we sack him, it is all on Larry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired?? : I'd have half the team on waivers, but BV is still a bad manager.  The only thing keeping him here is that everyone knows that Ben didn't want him.  If/when we sack him, it is all on Larry.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    Maybe so , but what has Ben done to deserve keeping his job? 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired?? : Maybe so , but what has Ben done to deserve keeping his job? 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

He gets an incomplete.  He didn't hire BV, nor did he make anything but minor moves.  It would be tough at this point to get a good read on him eiher way.  I have my doubts, but I also I have to figure out a hierarchy of blame.  Right now, I'm still sticking with it was an over-reaction to one bad month, after being the best team in BB for five months.  And it stems from LL thinking that Theo got too much credit for our success.  So he forced out Theo and Tito so he could show how smart he was.

I figure if things were so bad that T&T had to go, and we have the worst season since the late 1900s, then LL has to go.  It's just logical.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired?? : Maybe so , but what has Ben done to deserve keeping his job? 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]What has he done to deserve losing it? He did sign Cook, Padilla, Mortenson, Ross, Shoppach and trade for Andrew Bailey who we haven't seen yet.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Really, he never should have been hired...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

If I were BV, given the way ownership lets him hang in the wind, I'd resign.

I don't think he needs the money that bad.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Constructed a bullpen that spent the majority of the season as an absoute out machine, and all with the closer missing the entire season.  How many other GMs did that this offseason?  How about you?  Did you build a bullpen this offeason, and how is it?

Most important, he did not go out and foolishly sign any free agents to long term deals...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]Was it Bob Ryan who refused to speak out about Cabrera messing with Foulke's wife because he didn't want to be sued? Where are Ryan's columns?
    Posted by Fenwayjimy[/QUOTE]

I got to say this, and I hope women out there don't call me a sexist, but it takes two to tango. Even if Cabrera was a Casanova, how bout those Sox wives he did bang Orlando (and Dawn), don't they take some responsibility to just say "no" to the suitor and stay faithful to their husbands...ok, I've always wanted to defend Cabrera at least from the standpoint that he didn't order these women or rape these women--he may have been seduced if all we know. You'd think some women would be i don't know, a little smarter, and how bout a little more faithful....I always loved the way the wife in Major League seduced Vaughn because he saw her husband on TV with a floozie on the road, and then basically did a pay-back...That was awesome

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

And yes Orlando could have also shown some respect or discretion, but he was with the team only so long, he might have not known they were Sox wives. Who knows the real story.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired?? : I got to say this, and I hope women out there don't call me a sexist, but it takes two to tango. Even if Cabrera was a Casanova, how bout those Sox wives he did bang Orlando (and Dawn), don't they take some responsibility to just say "no" to the suitor and stay faithful to their husbands...ok, I've always wanted to defend Cabrera at least from the standpoint that he didn't order these women or rape these women--he may have been seduced if all we know. You'd think some women would be i don't know, a little smarter, and how bout a little more faithful....I always loved the way the wife in Major League seduced Vaughn because he saw her husband on TV with a floozie on the road, and then basically did a pay-back...That was awesome
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I don't know or care if Cabrera slept with someone's wife. He probably did, and that guy - Foulke or not - probably cheated on her anyway. Such is life in MLB.

But c'mon.  Defending Cabrera?  First of all, his departure lead to drafting Ellsbury and Lowrie.  Like Renteria or not, this move appeared to be to take advantage of a loophole in compensation, which, surpise, surpise, has been modified somewhat since.

As for Orlando, he certainly was a questionable human being, right down to his calling official scorers during games to gripe about error calls, which he absolutely did in Chicago.  (And judging from scoring after the play, he might have beeen  a little too intimiadting, as well.)  Cabrera also floated from team to team at near-record pace, usually finishing the season in different laundry than when he started it.  Was he offputting, or heavily sought after?  I know he was all but asked to leave the White Sox, as even Guillen couldn't stand him...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

If you fire BV. The inmates have won again. Unless you have a real bonafide candidate to right the ship you are in a tough situation. Theo created this mess with his awful free agent signings and as good as he was early on puting the pieces together for the champion teams, he left the team worse than when he got here. It will take years to get out from under theos awful contract signings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 8202. Show 8202's posts

Not now. Wait till the end of season. Fire him and hire John Farrell. Keep our hitting coach and catcher coach. Hire Varitek and make him a pitching coach.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired?? : Constructed a bullpen that spent the majority of the season as an absoute out machine, and all with the closer missing the entire season.  How many other GMs did that this offseason?  How about you?  Did you build a bullpen this offeason, and how is it? Most important, he did not go out and foolishly sign any free agents to long term deals...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    No, I did not build a bullpen this off season.    That is not my job.  Thanks for the sarcasm , though. You are always good for that.  He did not sign any free agents to long term deals.  He just brought in a bunch of mediocre players, which has resulted in a mediocre team. But I guess that is good enough for you. And yes . the injury prone closer that he traded Reddick for has shockingly missed the entire season. How many other G.M.s with lower payrolls have put together a better team ? That is the question.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

notin misses the obvious, the Sox did not sign any big FA's to long-term deals because they could not afford to after all the other debacles. Take Lackey and Crawfords contracts off the books and the SOX would have signed 1-2 big FA's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired?? : What has he done to deserve losing it? He did sign Cook, Padilla, Mortenson, Ross, Shoppach and trade for Andrew Bailey who we haven't seen yet.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    That is it ?  You give him credit for signing those guys ?  An eminently mediocre group if there ever was one. And , let's not forget Punto, Sweeney and Byrd. When you put together a team like that, you get the results that you are seeing. One of the highest payrolls in the game , and a mediocre team.  He traded Reddick for the man who we haven't seen yet. Reddick has 23 home runs , while we patiently wait for the injury prone Bailey to save the day. Seriously , are you this easily satisfied ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]notin misses the obvious, the Sox did not sign any big FA's to long-term deals because they could not afford to after all the other debacles. Take Lackey and Crawfords contracts off the books and the SOX would have signed 1-2 big FA's.
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]
    notin misses what he wants to miss. How anyone can try to defend this mess is baffling.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired?? : notin misses what he wants to miss. How anyone can try to defend this mess is baffling.

I do think if is fairly obvious that he has been hamstrung by the payroll that he has been saddled with.

I am sure he did not have the freedom to sign any major free agents this offseason and it is hard to make trades when half of your roster is grossly overpaid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired?? :   I do think if is fairly obvious that he has been hamstrung by the payroll that he has been saddled with. I am sure he did not have the freedom to sign any major free agents this offseason and it is hard to make trades when half of your roster is grossly overpaid.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely. No question about that.  John Henry has not given Ben the blank check privileges that Theo had. Things may not change until they somehow manage to get some flexibility in the payroll. It might take a while.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ws2012. Show Ws2012's posts

Cafardo thinks he is the best manager in the modern era.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

they had a choice after the 2011 collapse...blow the team up or keep the core...they chose to keep the core because of business considerations...the only thing they did to address the player rot was to hire valentine...and then they did nothing to back him up to change the culture...simple solution - fire valentine and then do nothing again...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]they had a choice after the 2011 collapse...blow the team up or keep the core...they chose to keep the core because of business considerations...the only thing they did to address the player rot was to hire valentine...and then they did nothing to back him up to change the culture...simple solution - fire valentine and then do nothing again...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

In Spring training a lot of people on this board thought getting rid of Francona and hiring Valentine was all that needed to be done.

"Valentine is tough he will fix this mess and will not let the players get away with what they did under Francona" 

I heard that about 17 times a day.  I thought it was funny then and I still do now.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If you fire BV. The inmates have won again.

The inmates won when BV picked a fight with Youkilis.  I don't subscribe to an inmate mentality based on one bad month in 2011, but if one were to subscribe to an inmate mentality, were the inmates really Youk and Pedroia?

Sections
Shortcuts