Should Valentine be fired??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Should Valentine be fired??

In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired??:
    In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired?? : You could be correct.  I guess what I don't understand is why anyone thought Bobby V could be that guy. I can only go with my own perceptions but if he were my boss it would be hard for me not to laugh in his face and I certainly would mock him behind his back. I've been saying this since he was hired.  
    Posted by snakeoil123

I completely agree snake!  I said the same thing from day 1 of this hire.  He is a clown...... & has acted clownish through ST and the entire regular season.

i.e.  His on the field latest embarrassment with Dan Shawnassy (sp.) of the Boston Globe. OY! :(

Still, as we both know, the players have acted like spoiled little brats, and they have successfully worked mommy (FO & ownership) against bobby v. (the wacky new step dad).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Valentine doesn't deserve all of the blame. It's not his fault the starting pitching (aside from Buchholz and occasionally Doubront) has been awful and the team can't stay healthy. This coming from someone who had no idea what the FO was thinking when it hired him.

But Bobby certainly has been part of the problem, from his apparent mismanagement of the clubhouse to his brainless comments to the media. I don't wish firing on anyone, but I can't imagine he's in Boston next spring.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I thought the BV waving his arms bit was actually pretty funny. So did Dan S. Look, BV is a nice guy, I think he earned his salary for the year, I think his 105 games as a manager here was tough for him. But the fact remains, he should be fired because this team grossly underachieved and if there is still an iota of hope in that dugout, it's worth discovering what would happen if you bring in an alternative to BV. Sorry, it's time for him to call it quits. He's not going to fire himself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: Should Valentine be fired?? : You could be correct.  I guess what I don't understand is why anyone thought Bobby V could be that guy. I can only go with my own perceptions but if he were my boss it would be hard for me not to laugh in his face and I certainly would mock him behind his back. I've been saying this since he was hired.  
    Posted by snakeoil123

I wasn't posting here during the offseason, but where I did post I was supporting a "Bobby Valentine kind of guy", meaning someone who had the capacity to be stronger than the players' personalities. Bobby Valentine fit the bill, with drawbacks, but I wasn't focused on just him. Any new sheriff would have done. The way it worked out, the FO wasn't going to allow anyone the free reign necessary to straighten out the clubhouse.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I thought the BV waving his arms bit was actually pretty funny. So did Dan S. Look, BV is a nice guy, I think he earned his salary for the year, I think his 105 games as a manager here was tough for him. But the fact remains, he should be fired because this team grossly underachieved and if there is still an iota of hope in that dugout, it's worth discovering what would happen if you bring in an alternative to BV. Sorry, it's time for him to call it quits. He's not going to fire himself.
    Posted by dannycater

IT's time! 

OVER / UNDER???

I say 24 hrs if we lose today's game!

72 hrs if we win today!

Sorry!  Let's go days!!!  It's a little easier.

1 day if we lose

3 days if we win

Definitely gone in 3 days!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

and what you said snake is very relevant....it's hard not to mock a guy whose behavior has been at the very least bizarre. It's like BV knows he's done and now he just doesn't care.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

Rule#1 - when firing a manager, make sure his replacement is just as good or better than the person you're firing.

Bobby Valentine has always been an average manager at best. Smart baseball guy, but doesn't know how to relate to today's players, maybe too old school.

Everyone loved Tito until the September collapse. If the situation were reversed, 7-20 September and they played .600 ball the rest of the way, would we still be having this discussion?

If you have a player's manager, some of these guys that have been on the RedSox for a number of years, and then hiring more of a disciplinarian, it doesn't sit well with the current players on the team.

If you decide to hire a disciplinarian, it's important the front office backs the manager on all managerial decisions, whatever they may be, otherwise it will be an instant train wreck.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

At the all-star break, I would've said the Sox will probably wait until the end of the season to make a move if any. However it most likely won't happen, I'm not counting out the possibility BV gets canned if they lose today's game and get swept by the Twins at home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I find it hard to imagine the RS firing Valentine mid season. OTOH he really doesn't fit into the organization very well and makes it painfully transparent he is not on the same page as the front office. How much of that is intentional or just the Bobby is not as polished in deal with the media is anybody's guess.

So in the long run, is this ownership group which is very committed to SABRmetric management of their team and equally committed to managing media/public relations going to be so taken with Valentine that they will blow up their FO? It doesn't take much to figure out that Cherington and his staff and Valentne aren't on the same page. Bobby hasn't done very many things well since he has been here but he has made it painfully clear that he and Cherington aren't partners.

It is hard to imagine Valentine getting extended beyond 2013 right now and it would not be a shock if Bobby "took" another" post with the RS after the season and/or was relieved of his duties.

Not because all that ails the RS is his fault by any stretch of the imagine burt because Valentine is not part of the solution.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from august271985. Show august271985's posts

We have finished 3rd the last two years and haven't won a playoff game since '08. I think most of us can agree that we probably had a stronger roster last year- not just in terms of pure talent but in terms of overall performance. Having said that, we still finished 3rd. What has changed this year? If anything, our talent base is worse, we have incurred more injuries, and our starting pitching as well as our "star" position players having been underperforming. 

Given all that, why would we expect this team as currently constituted to finish any higher than 3rd? This is the part I don't get- we're a worse team now, but yet some of us think we can do better by just changing managers. Let's face it, we suck, and we will continue to suck until drastic changes are made.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Valentine doesn't deserve all of the blame. It's not his fault the starting pitching (aside from Buchholz and occasionally Doubront) has been awful and the team can't stay healthy. This coming from someone who had no idea what the FO was thinking when it hired him. But Bobby certainly has been part of the problem, from his apparent mismanagement of the clubhouse to his brainless comments to the media. I don't wish firing on anyone, but I can't imagine he's in Boston next spring.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Yup.  I think people need to separate BV from the team.  Certainly, if someone were to take a flamethrower to clubhouse, I could understand it.  If someone wanted to call it quits and put everyone on waivers, I'd understand that.

But BV has struggled with everything he touched since he joined us.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileybeniTheFool. Show SmileybeniTheFool's posts

In Response to; Should Valentine be fired??:
    For those who think Valentine should and/or will be fired,  Should it be done now or at seasons end??
    Posted by J-BAY

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmileybeniTheFool. Show SmileybeniTheFool's posts

In Response to; Should Valentine be fired??:
    For those who think Valentine should and/or will be fired,  Should it be done now or at seasons end??
    Posted by J-BAY

Sections
Shortcuts