2005:  Uribe

2004:  O-Cab

2003:  Gonzalez

2002:  Eckstein

2001:  Womack

2000:  jeter

1999:  jeter

1998:  jeter

i will take 21YO Xander over any one of these.

people turn a storm in a teacup because some writer or blogger said "he cant play defense". 

in the grand scheme of things...based on the "list"...it doesn't appear ss "defense" has much to do with who actually wins the WS. 

but, hey, some writer/blogger/poster said "he can't play defense".   ridiculous.  sheep mentality.

let me drop a clue.  SS defense wasnt the reason we lost 10 games in a row.  SS defense isnt the reason we just took 2 in Atlanta.

like the title of this thread says....sick of it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Sick of it.

+1

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Yeah, ok... 

But I think it's also pretty undeniable that one of the reasons the Red Sox won the WS was SS defense, just as it's one of the reasons the Tigers fell out.  

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, ok... 

But I think it's also pretty undeniable that one of the reasons the Red Sox won the WS was SS defense, just as it's one of the reasons the Tigers fell out.  

[/QUOTE]

hey S5.  yes, drew made some great plays in the PS last year.  no doubt.  there were also many other factors that went into us winning it all.  without the ortiz slam, unbelievable pitching, timely hitting, etc.  plays matter...especially in the postseason.  but great plays can be made by "average" fielders.  and bad plays can be made by "great" fielders.  we saw that firsthand in the ALCS last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, ok... 

[/QUOTE]

Rare when we disagree, but in this case it has to be.  Yes, Drew's defense helped in the postseason, but the Tigers had the dream defensive SS in Iglesias. 

Two key reasons for the postseason success:  incredibly good pitching, especially the bullpen and especially Lackey's brilliant start against Verlander, which the Sox won 1-0, I think on a Napoli dinger; and lousy but very, very timely hitting, the grandslam by Ortiz in game 2 of the ALCS being the primary example.  Drew's defense, while very good, was well down on my list for reasons why we won the WS. 

Like the OP, I like Bogaerts right where he is.  On a team that has not hit well and now has significant issues with the rotation, spending $10M on a defensive SS doesn't make much sense to me.  I like Drew's lefty bat, but guess what?  When he takes over at SS and Bogaerts moves to 3B, Holt, who so far has hit well from the left side, goes to the utility slot.  So it is now likely that Cherington's big move--the only one so far anyway--will result in a lineup that hits worser not better. 

I will however grant the possibility--only that--that Drew's glove will help the rotation right itself.  Maybe all the lousy starts recently are the result of the rotation being terrified the opposition will hit a grounder to SS, so all those hits and walks and even dingers are the result of "grounder to weak SS avoidance." 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

OCab was 10 times the fielder as Nomar. His defense helped us over the top and break the losing cycle.

Lugo had plus range and was an overall plus defender in 2007, before injuries made him a big negative.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2013:  Drew

2012:  Crawford

2011:  Theroit

2010:  Uribe

2009:  Jeter

2008:  Rollins

2007:  Lugo

2006:  Eckstein

people turn a storm in a teacup because some writer or blogger said "he cant play defense". 

in the grand scheme of things...based on the "list"...it doesn't appear ss "defense" has much to do with who actually wins the WS. 

but, hey, some writer/blogger/poster said "he can't play defense".   ridiculous.  sheep mentality.

let me drop a clue.  SS defense wasnt the reason we lost 10 games in a row.  SS defense isnt the reason we just took 2 in Atlanta.

[/QUOTE]

First of all it was some writer who propelled Xander to stardom, when anyone who sat thru a few pawsox games, knew Xander had no range and just a decent arm. But he is still an asset to the team but he has a long way to go before I would take him over Jeter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

sick of it? Think you need to get a life. If Baseball makes you sick ,maybe you should apply for disability? Give it a shot. You being sick wasn't the reason Sox lost Ten in a row .Do you get heartburn  or have ulcers over this? This could lead to major problems .We here on the forum are only trying to help you. XANDER is a good player and will only get better .Needs lots of work at SS ,but he can do it. Sorry, forgot about your tummy .Relax and take it easy.Hope you get well soon.....From everyone on this forum !!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand where you're coming from Slash.  I had to reply though as I'm one of the people saying that Xander should change positions and is not a stellar defensive SS.  If you look at that list you may also see that other than Jeter....none of those players are exactly top notch offensive players either.  In other words....they were not called upon to be a huge cog in the team....future of the team and core of the team.  Xander is expected to become all of those things.  He HAS struggled at the position and currently there is a big hole at 3B.  Xander seemed to pick up the position VERY well last year and did it at a very clutch time.  Since he WILL BE the face of this franchise for years to come (unlike most on that list) he has to find a place that works best for him but most of all the TEAM.  Right now that seems to be with him at 3B.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OCab was 10 times the fielder as Nomar. His defense helped us over the top and break the losing cycle.

Lugo had plus range and was an overall plus defender in 2007, before injuries made him a big negative.

Sox4ever

And Drew was outstanding if not spectacular on Defense at SS for Sox last year.

Plus Lugo played quite well defensively in the '07 postseason, far better than in the reg. season.

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

sick of it? Think you need to get a life. If Baseball makes you sick ,maybe you should apply for disability? Give it a shot. You being sick wasn't the reason Sox lost Ten in a row .Do you get heartburn  or have ulcers over this? This could lead to major problems .We here on the forum are only trying to help you. XANDER is a good player and will only get better .Needs lots of work at SS ,but he can do it. Sorry, forgot about your tummy .Relax and take it easy.Hope you get well soon.....From everyone on this forum !!!!!

lol Don.  thank you.  but just to clarify....i'm not sick from it, i am sick of it.  but i do appreciate your concern.

and i agree...i do need to "get a life" as sometimes this sport we all love does make me crazy.  i wont apply for disability though as i am not one to take advantage of the system.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I understand where you're coming from Slash.  I had to reply though as I'm one of the people saying that Xander should change positions and is not a stellar defensive SS.  If you look at that list you may also see that other than Jeter....none of those players are exactly top notch offensive players either.  In other words....they were not called upon to be a huge cog in the team....future of the team and core of the team.  Xander is expected to become all of those things.  He HAS struggled at the position and currently there is a big hole at 3B.  Xander seemed to pick up the position VERY well last year and did it at a very clutch time.  Since he WILL BE the face of this franchise for years to come (unlike most on that list) he has to find a place that works best for him but most of all the TEAM.  Right now that seems to be with him at 3B.  

[/QUOTE]

good points KF. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [Q

[/QUOTE]

lol Don.  thank you.  but just to clarify....i'm not sick from it, i am sick of it.  but i do appreciate your concern.

and i agree...i do need to "get a life" as sometimes this sport we all love does make me crazy.  i wont apply for disability though as i am not one to take advantage of the system.

[/QUOTE]

lol ...Yes we all seem to get that way. Sports are suppose to be an out and relieve stress but I think it causes more.Maybe we need those sponge bricks to throw at our TV's. I threw a real brick ,I didn't know they sold sponge ones. lol.... That made me sick..lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

but, hey, some writer/blogger/poster said "he can't play defense". ridiculous. sheep mentality.

I'm taking this as a little bit of an insult to our 2013 WS team.  We won with Drew/Bogaerts last year, so why can't we win with Drew/Bogaerts again?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Bogaerts wouldn't make a pimple on jeter's azz. Let me know when he reaches 3k hits. Let me know when he wins 5 WS rings playing SS.

Yaz and Boggs the only two Sox with 3k.

He's so good at short you had to resign Drew.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Rare when we disagree, but in this case it has to be. Yes, Drew's defense helped in the postseason, but the Tigers had the dream defensive SS in Iglesias. "

Iggy made a couple of crucial errors in that series that were series-changing. He was our trojan horse. 

I think I would still take Iggy > Drew, but we got a ring out of that trade IMO. Wasn't the only factor but it was NOT a small factor either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Asset?   YES!  Big up side on offense?   YES!!!   Perhaps a star in the making on O?   Yes.

Can he play SS very well right now?   Absolutely not!!!!

I don't need ANY sports writer to point that out to me.  I watch the games.  He's lucky not to be credited with far .  More errors this season, & damned luck there isn't a stat tracking balls any good SS should have gotten to.  That   would be one ugly stat.  Not sheep!  Watchers of every play, every game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

but, hey, some writer/blogger/poster said "he can't play defense". ridiculous. sheep mentality.

I'm taking this as a little bit of an insult to our 2013 WS team.  We won with Drew/Bogaerts last year, so why can't we win with Drew/Bogaerts again?

[/QUOTE]

no insult intended.  loved the 2013 team.  was merely trying to point out that ozzie smith doesnt need to be on the roster for a team to win the WS.  drew did a GREAT job for us last year (post concussion).  i was on board with bringing him back during the off season.  that didnt happen so i became all in with bogaerts at SS.  just feel the "bad defense" horse is being beaten to death over and over with the kid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bogaerts wouldn't make a pimple on jeter's azz. Let me know when he reaches 3k hits. Let me know when he wins 5 WS rings playing SS.

[/QUOTE]

lol...yeah.  that's the reason they signed drew.  Xander. 

<sarc>

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

lol...yeah.  that's the reason they signed drew.  Xander. 

<sarc>

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it had nothing to do with losing one of your starters on the left side of the infield.....couldn't be that at all

<heavier sarcasm>

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Only slash would compare Bogaerts with one season under his belt who btw I think is a great prospect to a player with a 20 year career.

To Jeter who is being greeted with standing ovations wherever he has played over the past few weeks in NL parks because of the way he has played and respected his game and because the fans appreciate it.

Not to mention Jeter's 13 AS game appearances at SS, his 5 silver slugger awards, his seven WS appearances in 19 years with 5 rings, his ROY award. Besides Jeter knows how to share pictures with his smart phone.

Comparing a player with one season finished to a player who appears to be a first round induction into the hall.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Asset?   YES!  Big up side on offense?   YES!!!   Perhaps a star in the making on O?   Yes.

Can he play SS very well right now?   Absolutely not!!!!

I don't need ANY sports writer to point that out to me.  I watch the games.  He's lucky not to be credited with far .  More errors this season, & damned luck there isn't a stat tracking balls any good SS should have gotten to.  That   would be one ugly stat.  Not sheep!  Watchers of every play, every game.

[/QUOTE]

Actually they do have such a stat.  Boagerts ranks 18th out of 29 qualified short stops.  So he is slightly below average.  And FWIW by all other advanced defensive metrics, Bogaerts ranks in 13 vicinity.  UZR, UZR/150, DEF, and his arm is considered above average.

So at least compared to the leagues short stops, all things considered, Bogaerts has been about an average defender.  Sure he looks bad at times, but a lot of the other short stops have looked bad at times too.  I mean....if we have watched Bogaerts play every day....it's kinda hard to watch the other guys and say they are better than him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I'm sure it had nothing to do with losing one of your starters on the left side of the infield.....couldn't be that at all

<heavier sarcasm>

[/QUOTE]

I'll certainly admit Jeter is not the player at 40 he was in 1995 however:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/ss/order/true

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Only slash would compare Bogaerts with one season under his belt who btw I think is a great prospect to a player with a 20 year career.

To Jeter who is being greeted with standing ovations wherever he has played over the past few weeks in NL parks because of the way he has played and respected his game and because the fans appreciate it.

Not to mention Jeter's 13 AS game appearances at SS, his 5 silver slugger awards, his seven WS appearances in 19 years with 5 rings, his ROY award. Besides Jeter knows how to share pictures with his smart phone.

Comparing a player with one season finished to a player who appears to be a first round induction into the hall.

[/QUOTE]

Defense clown.  defense. 

please go on and tell me how great jeters defense has been over the years. 

btw - name the GM on the planet that would take jeter over xander today.....because as much as you want to turn back the clock to oh lets say...pre-2004....you cant.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Uh oh Slasher.

You've angered the Jeter Defense League again.

Prepared to be bored to death with Jeter accomplishments.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

Sections
Shortcuts