Sick of Lackey's Attitude

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxCsBruins. Show SoxCsBruins's posts

Sick of Lackey's Attitude

He did pitch a decent game today but I'm sick of the way he reacts when a player makes an error or a bad play. Scutaro should have gotten to that ball that led to a single and turn the double play on the next play, but Lackey shouldn't react to his teammates like he did. Do we see Scutaro yelling at Lackey when he let past the home run to Joyce or win he lets past 5 hits in an inning?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Sick of Lackey's Attitude

If the Sox had had almost any other SS out there today, the final score would have been 9 - 2.  In this case I cannot blame Lackey at all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Lackey is freaking out because he knows he really blows.  He has hit more batters than anyone in MLB.  He throws pitches that are even close and should be embarrassed to even go out to dinner in Boston. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxCsBruins. Show SoxCsBruins's posts

I agree that it's Scutaro's fault for those runs and Lackey pitched well but i still didnt like his reaction towards Scutaro or his reaction when he gets taken out of the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

In Response to Re: Sick of Lackey's Attitude:
    If the Sox had had almost any other SS out there today, the final score would have been 9 - 2.  In this case I cannot blame Lackey at all.
    Posted by parhunter1

With Jed, the score would have been 9-8, in favor of the Rays, because he would have not scored the key run Scutaro scored.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

In Response to Sick of Lackey's Attitude:
    He did pitch a decent game today but I'm sick of the way he reacts when a player makes an error or a bad play. Scutaro should have gotten to that ball that led to a single and turn the double play on the next play, but Lackey shouldn't react to his teammates like he did. Do we see Scutaro yelling at Lackey when he let past the home run to Joyce or win he lets past 5 hits in an inning?
    Posted by SoxCsBruins

John Lackey has NO business being frustrated with anyone but John Lackey. Hes been appaling this year. Sure Scuttaro messed up but Lackeys been messing up since April. I also agree with McArver (and thats a first) that Lackeys reaction to Tito pulling showed up him manager. Whats funny about it is who in their right mind would show faith in Lackey with the way hes pitched this year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

You are all correct, of course.  Pitchers should try hard to hide their feelings when a player lets them down.  It does them no good to vent openly on the field.  But Scutaro single-handedly gave the Rays three runs in that first inning.  Lackey, who was trying to build on something good, and I am sure knows how important his role in keeping the Sox in games is right now, had every right to be visibly frustrated, which is all I am told he showed (I live in the NYC metropolitan area, so the game was blacked out on MLB.com and the Mets were on the FOX broadcast).

As for showing up Francona, I did not see it, so I cannot comment.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

He reaps exactly what he sows.  He wasn't like this in Ananheim.

I think he misses pitching against the AL west.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Fox commentators discussed how he chewed Francona out for removing him from the game even though Terry has given him every benefit of the doubt for over 1.5 seasons. 

I think he has a rotten attitude, very unprofessional.  But, heck, maybe the attitude is keeping him semi-competitive. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

You are all correct, of course.  Pitchers should try hard to hide their feelings when a player lets them down.  It does them no good to vent openly on the field.  But Scutaro single-handedly gave the Rays three runs in that first inning.  Lackey, who was trying to build on something good, and I am sure knows how important his role in keeping the Sox in games is right now, had every right to be visibly frustrated, which is all I am told he showed (I live in the NYC metropolitan area, so the game was blacked out on MLB.com and the Mets were on the FOX broadcast). As for showing up Francona, I did not see it, so I cannot comment.
    Posted by parhunter1

I was blacked out from the game too, but I have seen Lackey show this kind of frustration towards his teammates repeatedly, going back to when he was on the Angels.  He has shown frustration when a ground ball gets passed a diving infielder.

I understand how frustrating it must be to make your pitch, and have one of your defenders botch it, but he really has no business showing that frustration outwardly.  How many times have the defenders made an outstanding play and saved him from giving up some runs?

I am not a Lackey basher, by any means.  I am one of the few remaining who seems to have any confidence left in him.  However, he can't let that type of thing unrattle him.  He needs to instead buckle down and pick up his teammate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

Yeah the yelling at Scutaro was embarrassing. It was like a little league game. Then again so was the fielding...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

On the one hand, I like Lackey's competitiveness. But if I were playing behind him I might have a harsh word or two for him in the clubhouse, behind closed doors. He has not pitched well enough to show up anyone, yet that has been his MO for years. I disagree with whoever said he didn't do this in Aneheim, because I've seen him do it. As for showing up Tito, I think Tito would simply say that he was just being competitive and everything is fine. In this regard, Lackey could not be playing for a better manager. Tito might also have something to say behind closed doors, but we will never hear about it which is why Tito is the best.

One of the things I preach to my kids is to always pick up your teammates. If someone makes an error, my pitchers are taught to work doubly hard to not make the error costly. One of the most remarkable, and unheralded, baseball statistics I can remember is that Curt Schilling pitched in over sixty consecutive starts without allowing an unearned run. That's over sixty consecutive starts of always picking up your teammates. Lackey could learn a thing or two from Schilling.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Navarro for Scut and a muzzle for Lackey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Posted by parhunter1

Sorry, but few other pitchers would have reacted like he did today, and he often does this otherwise. He is not a good teammate. No matter; he's laughed (or maybe scowled) his way to easy street.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Sick of Lackey's Attitude : I was blacked out from the game too, but I have seen Lackey show this kind of frustration towards his teammates repeatedly, going back to when he was on the Angels.  He has shown frustration when a ground ball gets passed a diving infielder. I understand how frustrating it must be to make your pitch, and have one of your defenders botch it, but he really has no business showing that frustration outwardly.  How many times have the defenders made an outstanding play and saved him from giving up some runs? I am not a Lackey basher, by any means.  I am one of the few remaining who seems to have any confidence left in him.  However, he can't let that type of thing unrattle him.  He needs to instead buckle down and pick up his teammate.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

I recall him yelling at Scioscia.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

He and Sciocia won't be exchanging any Christmas cards soon.
    But Lackey finds his motivation thru this exchange.
    Perhaps he'll mature at 40.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

On the one hand, I like Lackey's competitiveness. Posted by jidgef

I like the competitiveness too.  I like to see the fiery side and the 'attitude' in our pitchers.  Beckett is like that, but I don't recall ever seeing him show frustration towards one of his teammates like Lackey does.  Lackey has to learn how to channel it better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"He is not a good teammate."

In the context of showing frustration toward his teammates, I guess you can say that.  However, by all accounts that I've read, he is considered a good teammate and a good guy in the clubhouse.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

OK

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I , too, was blacked out today but ESPN's "Baseball Tonight" crew focused on Lackey's antics tonight.  Both Nomar and Boonie found his behavior totally unacceptable, and for the record, so do I.  Not only was he pitching fits when Scuts was kicking the ball around, but he also remonstrated after Adrian's error, which I found comical.  I mean, the guy is only the best player on your team and I'm sure has made some plays which have bailed Lackey out.

I realize we're pitching thin, but unless he apologizes to his manager and teammates (publicly or privately), if I were Terry I'd skip his next start.  Yes, he's a "fiery competitor" and yes, he has shown signs of turning his season around, and yes, his teammates have called him a good guy in the clubhouse, and yes, he helped collar Gregg during the O's fiasco.  But hey, enough is enough.  If there were any team out there willing to pick up his contract, I'd send him packing.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i do not by any means agree with the way lackey acted but i kind of understand where he is coming from and he has every right to be frustrated. He knows he pitch like crap in the first half and his last start before the break was a good one and he was hoping to build on that and get things rolling to start the second half. Scutaro single handedly cost lackey 3 runs that inning on plays that he should have made. Scutaro is not a ss. He is a second baseman playing ss. He does not have the range or arm stregnth to play short and is not good enough offensively to allowed for his defensive deficiencies. Navarro i have not seen play much so i am not sure how good he is defensively but he seems like he will be a good utility player for the sox. Lowrie is just as bad range and arm wise as scutaro but is better with stick. I really think that the sox should call up jose iglesias to start at short. Who cares if he does not hit. He will save a lot of runs with his defensive abilities. A run saved is just as valuable as a run scored. Iglesias is by far the best defensive ss in the sox organization. Call him up and bat him 9th. If he hits .125 so be it. Shortstop is not a position that you expect much offense from anyways. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

i do not by any means agree with the way lackey acted but i kind of understand where he is coming from and he has every right to be frustrated. He knows he pitch like crap in the first half and his last start before the break was a good one and he was hoping to build on that and get things rolling to start the second half. Scutaro single handedly cost lackey 3 runs that inning on plays that he should have made. Scutaro is not a ss. He is a second baseman playing ss. He does not have the range or arm stregnth to play short and is not good enough offensively to allowed for his defensive deficiencies. Navarro i have not seen play much so i am not sure how good he is defensively but he seems like he will be a good utility player for the sox. Lowrie is just as bad range and arm wise as scutaro but is better with stick. I really think that the sox should call up jose iglesias to start at short. Who cares if he does not hit. He will save a lot of runs with his defensive abilities. A run saved is just as valuable as a run scored. Iglesias is by far the best defensive ss in the sox organization. Call him up and bat him 9th. If he hits .125 so be it. Shortstop is not a position that you expect much offense from anyways. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

Navarro at SS may be the better option.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

In Response to Re: Sick of Lackey's Attitude : Navarro at SS may be the better option.
    Posted by harness

What, Jed isn't the best option? Doesn't he still have the highest SS OPS of all time? A summer in API will only help boost his confidence and playing ability, so I expect him to have an MVP-like final two months, if he can come back from his little pinched nerve.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I forgot Hall.
    He's a much better option.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

What if Tekkie were to catch Lackey full time? Surely then things would be better.

Sections
Shortcuts