Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game

yesterday in classic timely georom4 fashion, I said that major league umpires are unnecessary in this day and age of technology with strike zones and other electronic/gps ways to call balls/strikes and outs....I said that the games would be shortened a half hour without those walrusses slowing up the game with their lousy calls...once again i was 100% correct....

don't hate - appreciate!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

it may be more accurate G4, but once the human element, which includes errors, are removed from sports, they may as well stop playing....it's the name of the game. baseball is a perfect game, played by imperfect people. I agree technology should be used, but to a limited extent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game:
    [QUOTE]The Pirates have filed a formal complaint.Here's a link to read about it: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6808357/pittsburgh-pirates-file-complaint-umpire-jerry-meals-call-19-inning-loss
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if they would file a protest or not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

He made the call based on what inning it was. Thought he Oled him my A$s. He conciously made the call that would end the game. A 2 year old could have made that call. Watching it live from a terrable angle on my small laptop screen i called it correctly. Your telling me an umpire 3 feet away with a great view of the play missed the call. BS

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game : I agree.  But at least Joyce owned it afterwards; he addressed the media with near-tears, claiming how badly he felt about it.  And Gallaraga publicly forgave him. This one is pretty bad as it cost the Pirates the game.  And it just wasn't even close.  Talk of replay will start to enter into these situations, I think.  That play was as bad as an ump calling a foul ball fair for a homerun. Sweet pic.  Great album.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Should the runner have acknowledged he was tagged? Why doesn't honesty and integrity prevail in Baseball. I wonder what would happen if a player admitted to being tagged out after being called safe. Would the umpire change the call?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]yesterday in classic timely georom4 fashion, I said that major league umpires are unnecessary in this day and age of technology with strike zones and other electronic/gps ways to call balls/strikes and outs....I said that the games would be shortened a half hour without those walrusses slowing up the game with their lousy calls...once again i was 100% correct.... don't hate - appreciate!
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Better idea. Instead of taking the field, the players sit in the clubhouse, and play the oppsing team in a video game.
    Get real Gerom!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

I thought he might have missed the tag - why did cather not just stand there and let the runner run into him. It was only Lugo - there would not have been a big collision. Question - why can't the umps get together to discuss the call and see if anybody else saw something different??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]I thought he might have missed the tag - why did cather not just stand there and let the runner run into him. It was only Lugo - there would not have been a big collision. Question - why can't the umps get together to discuss the call and see if anybody else saw something different??
    Posted by maddog2020[/QUOTE]

he did.  his block and lugos pop up slide made lugo actually come up, standing still, short of the plate.  Thats what kills me.  The ump was signalling safe and lugo had yet to touch the plate.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Lugo is 35 and still on an active MLB roster. No way he would ever be allowed an active roster bench role with Wastefield. Bad call, but nice to see the wire to wire 2007 title team SS. A great guy who does a lot for charity.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure how this thread morphed into a discussion of Wastefield, but you managed to find a way. I'm sure you could connect the dots between him and Vlad the Impaler if need be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game : It is from a replay I am sure as the point of view is CF. It is blown up 500X to 1000X crushed the depth of field. I can't say for certain from that image with 90% certainty that the glove is firmly contacting Lugo's leg. And for all a few said the safe call came way early the umpire isn't signaling yet, is he? Last thought. Take a close look at that picture and tell me it doesn't appear that the umpires hand is on the catcher's chin? That is a depth of field issue and that is why super telephoto shots aren't always conclusive proof points.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6808357/mlb-acknowledges-jerry-meals-missed-call-pittsburgh-pirates-file-complaint-19-inning-loss

MLB admits the call was wrong. Meals himself said that he saw video evidence that would indicate he blew the call.

EDIT: I thought the link posted earlier by Mojo was different; turns out its the same. Apologies.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game : Better idea. Instead of taking the field, the players sit in the clubhouse, and play the oppsing team in a video game. Get real Gerom!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

This idea that the umps are a sacred part of the game is nonsense - we all played countless baseball games as kids without an umpire - when we played organized ball we had maybe one ump and they usually were pretty lousy and were easily replaced by parents and spectators if needed...

using technology would bring us back to that ideal....just the players and game - not these useless walrusses arrogantly wallowing in their missed calls.

have one ump behind the plate...he relays the balls and strikes and in close plays on the bases AFTER it is given to him by the electronic ump....run everything out and replays would clarify exactly why the call was correct....after a while it would be automatic...players would get in and out with alacrity and no whining about the ump...maybe the honor system would even return with players actually acknowledging that they were out or not. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]If you start at the 1:28 mark of the video it's possible he missed the tag. If he made contact it was very light. It appeared from one camera he also tagged his arm, but another camera shows he completely missed the tag on the arm. If the catcher makes solid contact there is no debate.
    Posted by xxxcrwn[/QUOTE]

Bingo, if he had held the tag on the runner there would be no question. He decided to "ole" the tag. I have replay and stop action with Direct TV, and after watching it over and over, it's as the ump said later, he might have tagged the runner. My brother, a former Cape League umpire says it was clearly an out. Both of us watching the same replay and two different opinions, go figure. I'll give you that it certainly should have been an out. But do any of you truly believe the ump saw the tag and called him safe anyway? I think he believed that the catcher missed the "ole" tag and wanted to call it the way he saw it, not the way it should have been, based on the ball waiting for the runner. The picture illustrated above, is one dimensional. Not easy to see that it's a tag or if the glove is an inch above the leg. Just my opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Changing the replay rules aside, I don't understand why the Umps don't confer more often; especially on a game changer. Hurdle is MGR of the Year IMO, but he should have implored the other umps to confer with the HP Ump; he got caught up in the heat of the moment instead, and succumbed to what I call Umpire Arrogance. And, of course, the spineless Selig said zilcho.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Bad call, yes, but what was worse was the tag by McKenry. If there was a reverse double pivot tag, that would be it, barely grazing Lugo's leg, when he had all the time in the world to actually put on a good tag. McKenry got lazy, enough said.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Bad call. Wastefield needs to go. Kemp would be fine.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Kemp should get 30 mil a year for being a retirement league stud.
    VMART deserves the GG this year.
    CAM for MVP.
    Hall's his trophy caddy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Devil's advocate has a place, and funny stuff, but what about that 19 inning game that ended prematurely?

Sections
Shortcuts