Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game

They should still be playing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game

worst.  call. ever.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

It was a total embarrassment. It should have been a double play too, because the batter decided he would play slip n slide on the infield and supermaned it. The freezeframe at the beginning of the clip you posted says it all.

http://i.imgur.com/JiMyv.jpg

There's a great shot of the tag. He was at least 5 feet away from the plate. Disgusting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game:
    [QUOTE]worst.  call. ever.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
     IMO,one of the worst calls ever happened last year when Jim Joyce made Gallarraga lose his perfect game

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Very sad indeed, especially for a team that is fighting for their lives and don't need that kind of bull.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game :  IMO,one of the worst calls ever happened last year when Jim Joyce made Gallarraga lose his perfect game
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I agree.  But at least Joyce owned it afterwards; he addressed the media with near-tears, claiming how badly he felt about it.  And Gallaraga publicly forgave him.

This one is pretty bad as it cost the Pirates the game.  And it just wasn't even close. 

Talk of replay will start to enter into these situations, I think.  That play was as bad as an ump calling a foul ball fair for a homerun.

Sweet pic.  Great album.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

expanded replay -next up-plays that end a game. this play certainly will add credence to the discussion. no way for any game to end, let alone after 19 innings

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game :  IMO,one of the worst calls ever happened last year when Jim Joyce made Gallarraga lose his perfect game

This call was so much worse. Because of the gravity of the Galarraga situation, that call will go down in history, but this was so egregious that I believe the umpire should be demoted to AAA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yeah, that call was bad, specifically because of the fact that it blew Gallarraga's perfect game.  But, as far as calls go, at least that was a bang-bang play at first that he just missed.  The onle last night was just horrendous.  He started his safe signal and lugo hadn't even touched the plate yet.  My man just wanted to get back to the hotel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

If you start at the 1:28 mark of the video it's possible he missed the tag. If he made contact it was very light. It appeared from one camera he also tagged his arm, but another camera shows he completely missed the tag on the arm. If the catcher makes solid contact there is no debate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

The quality of umpiring has slipped in recent years. Atrocious calls are becoming common place and, forget balls and strikes. May as well remove the plate and let them guess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Geez, I guess I'm on an island here, but I agree with the ump -- he "might" have tagged him.

On the replay from overhead, it did appear that the tag was made on the shin. However, on the replay from in front, which was the better angle, it looked as if he did ole the tag. Even if the tag was made, I could definitely see how the umpire might have seen it that way.

I might have been a bad call, but it doesn't come close to being the worst call ever.

That's just my opinion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

no offense, but what is so sickening about ending a game that was already at 19 innings. Hell, the umpire did everyone at the park a favor.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]no offense, but what is so sickening about ending a game that was already at 19 innings. Hell, the umpire did everyone at the park a favor.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

You know, I was thinking the same thing. After 19 innings, if the umpire made the call so he could go home, I don't blame him.

Well, almost.

Tongue out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Geez, I guess I'm on an island here, but I agree with the ump -- he "might" have tagged him. On the replay from overhead, it did appear that the tag was made on the shin. However, on the replay from in front, which was the better angle, it looked as if he did ole the tag. Even if the tag was made, I could definitely see how the umpire might have seen it that way. I might have been a bad call, but it doesn't come close to being the worst call ever. That's just my opinion.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

roy.  Gotta say, you are on an island.  He actually tagged him three times, no question.  One in the shin area, one mid-section and then, between the pop-up slide (that was still a foot in front of teh plate) and the momentum stop from the first two tags, he tagged him a third time on the arm ... and lugo was still a foot in front of home plate.  Just awful.

Worst call ever could indeed be a bit of hyperbole.  But that was an awful, awful call.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

worst call ever probably applies to the royals-cards WS 1b ump gaffe. Now the implications on that game was a team winning a title.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]Geez, I guess I'm on an island here, but I agree with the ump -- he "might" have tagged him. On the replay from overhead, it did appear that the tag was made on the shin. However, on the replay from in front, which was the better angle, it looked as if he did ole the tag. Even if the tag was made, I could definitely see how the umpire might have seen it that way. I might have been a bad call, but it doesn't come close to being the worst call ever. That's just my opinion.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

You are not alone, this caused qute a bit of controversy on social networks. There were a lot of people claiming he was safe last night, and in fact there were video angles that made it look inconclusive. However, I think the angle that the ump was at should have amde it pretty obvious, had he been looking. But you never know what he saw...or didnt see. I just feel really super bad for the Pirates, who are finally turning things around for themselves. Its such a shame that this call would lose them such a hard fought game. Still though, no guarantee that they win afterwards.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think the ump's comments after the fact were most telling.  He said it looked like he 'ole'd' him.  So, to me, that means he wasn't really watching (he had the best angle). he just saw the matador-tag glove motion and made went on that instead of watching the play.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I watched two segments on ESPN Sports Center on this play this morning. The first just buried the umpire and the call.

But the second was more interesting. The first camera angle made it look very much like a blown call. The fact the ball arrived well in advance of Lugo only heightened that.

The second camera angle with was angled from the first base side of the play rather than dorectly behind it was less conclusive if the sweep tag ever caught Lugo on the thigh. the went as far as to enhance the clip by zooming in on it and it was not possible to see if the tag brushed Lugo or not.

It was clear that it would have been glancing at best. Yes the tagging motion clearly was made well in advance of Lugo touching home but whether there was solid contact was less clear.

So if the NFL replay rules applied it is likely that the play even when challenged stands because the second angle did not provide conclusive evidence to over turn.

The media loves to fire up peopleabout this stuff. But where does instant replay begin or end in any sport? A check swing call can change an outcome. A bad strike call. Offensive holding not called can be the difference in a football game. A no call in the NBA can make all the difference.

There is no way to automate perfection in an imperfect world. And replays aren't always great. They are done with extreme telephot lens that totally compress depth of field and can in fact delievr a false impression af where objects are in the frame.

Much noise amplified by the length of the game and that it resulted in a walk off win.

Just my take

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game : roy.  Gotta say, you are on an island.  He actually tagged him three times, no question.  One in the shin area, one mid-section and then, between the pop-up slide (that was still a foot in front of teh plate) and the momentum stop from the first two tags, he tagged him a third time on the arm ... and lugo was still a foot in front of home plate.  Just awful. Worst call ever could indeed be a bit of hyperbole.  But that was an awful, awful call.  

I have to disagree with you about the three times. If you look at all the angles, he never came close on the arm and missed on the midsection. If he was tagged, it was on the shin, but from one angle, it sort of looks as if he might have swiped above the shin. Because it was a swipe task, he very well might have tagged him on the shin, but he clearly missed in the other two spots.

At least, that's how I saw it. Then again, I wear glasses and I'd hate to be an umpire.

I will say this because of all the ballgames (at various levels) I've seen live. Even on what you'd think are easy calls, making these calls at fullspeed in an instant isn't easy. This call, if it was missed, ranks way down IMO of bad calls.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game : I have to disagree with you about the three times. If you look at all the angles, he never came close on the arm and missed on the midsection. If he was tagged, it was on the shin, but from one angle, it sort of looks as if he might have swiped above the shin. Because it was a swipe task, he very well might have tagged him on the shin, but he clearly missed in the other two spots. At least, that's how I saw it. Then again, I wear glasses and I'd hate to be an umpire. I will say this because of all the ballgames (at various levels) I've seen live. Even on what you'd think are easy calls, making these calls at fullspeed in an instant isn't easy. This call, if it was missed, ranks way down IMO of bad calls.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.  Umping in real time is not easy.  The thing that gets me on that play is that, even if he saw it as a matador tag (fine, a miss, but understandable), the combo of the pop-up slide/catchers block/tags) stood Lugo up in front of the plate.  Stopped him dead in his tracks.  The ump starts to make his safe call before Lugo even touches the plate.  

but you are right.  i was all hyperbolic about the 'worst call ever' christening, but only because I have lots of friends from the fine city of Pittsburgh.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]I watched two segments on ESPN Sports Center on this play this morning. The first just buried the umpire and the call. But the second was more interesting. The first camera angle made it look very much like a blown call. The fact the ball arrived well in advance of Lugo only heightened that. The second camera angle with was angled from the first base side of the play rather than dorectly behind it was less conclusive if the sweep tag ever caught Lugo on the thigh. the went as far as to enhance the clip by zooming in on it and it was not possible to see if the tag brushed Lugo or not. It was clear that it would have been glancing at best. Yes the tagging motion clearly was made well in advance of Lugo touching home but whether there was solid contact was less clear. So if the NFL replay rules applied it is likely that the play even when challenged stands because the second angle did not provide conclusive evidence to over turn. The media loves to fire up peopleabout this stuff. But where does instant replay begin or end in any sport? A check swing call can change an outcome. A bad strike call. Offensive holding not called can be the difference in a football game. A no call in the NBA can make all the difference. There is no way to automate perfection in an imperfect world. And replays aren't always great. They are done with extreme telephot lens that totally compress depth of field and can in fact delievr a false impression af where objects are in the frame. Much noise amplified by the length of the game and that it resulted in a walk off win. Just my take
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

This seemed to be a conclusive view, to me. But maybe I'm seeing what I want to see.

http://i.imgur.com/JiMyv.jpg

Also, I am not sure if this was taken frmo a video or not, this could have been a still photo, which arent used in replay I dont think. Maybe they didnt have an angle from here, I dont know.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game : I agree with you.  Umping in real time is not easy.  The thing that gets me on that play is that, even if he saw it as a matador tag (fine, a miss, but understandable), the combo of the pop-up slide/catchers block/tags) stood Lugo up in front of the plate.  Stopped him dead in his tracks.  The ump starts to make his safe call before Lugo even touches the plate.   but you are right.  i was all hyperbolic about the 'worst call ever' christening, but only because I have lots of friends from the fine city of Pittsburgh.

I root for Pittsburgh too because I saw Andrew McCutchen play when he was in high school. Good kid, so it would be great to see him help lead the Pirates turnaround.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sickening End To Pirates Braves Game : This seemed to be a conclusive view, to me. But maybe I'm seeing what I want to see. http://i.imgur.com/JiMyv.jpg Also, I am not sure if this was taken frmo a video or not, this could have been a still photo, which arent used in replay I dont think. Maybe they didnt have an angle from here, I dont know.
    Posted by thewags[/QUOTE]It is from a replay I am sure as the point of view is CF. It is blown up 500X to 1000X crushed the depth of field. I can't say for certain from that image with 90% certainty that the glove is firmly contacting Lugo's leg.

And for all a few said the safe call came way early the umpire isn't signaling yet, is he?

Last thought. Take a close look at that picture and tell me it doesn't appear that the umpires hand is on the catcher's chin? That is a depth of field issue and that is why super telephoto shots aren't always conclusive proof points.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The Pirates have filed a formal complaint.Here's a link to read about it:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6808357/pittsburgh-pirates-file-complaint-umpire-jerry-meals-call-19-inning-loss