Sign Ellsbury Now

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

Sign Ellsbury Now

Just get it done. Im sick of hearing Kemp is better. Simply untrue. Phenomenal season, he gets in done in the clutch, and he has emerged as an offensive powerhouse. He's too good to let go. I know there have been threads discussing this, but the last two nights shed new light on this discussion, and as Ells really solidifies his name in the MVP candidacy, I would love to see a deal get done. Tough with Boras, but if we can do it, he's a true gamechanger. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Re: Sign Ellsbury Now

In Response to Sign Ellsbury Now:
    [QUOTE]Just get it done. Im sick of hearing Kemp is better. Simply untrue. Phenomenal season, he gets in done in the clutch, and he has emerged as an offensive powerhouse. He's too good to let go. I know there have been threads discussing this, but the last two nights shed new light on this discussion, and as Ells really solidifies his name in the MVP candidacy, I would love to see a deal get done. Tough with Boras, but if we can do it, he's a true gamechanger. 
    Posted by thewags[/QUOTE]
    Great post, well said, I completely agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

if we have to give him the same contract that we gave crawford, id do it. Hes too good to let go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Jake's been everything I thought he could be. And more, really, since I didn't expect this kind of power.

Definitely in the MVP running.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

It really is a shame that Boras would never let it happen. I'd love to lock Jacoby up long-term but I just can't see it happening before he hits the FA market.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

His price goes up every day.  If Crawford got 142 mill+ Ells is at least 160mill+. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

his price will be determined by how well he plays between now and end of contract.  where he will take a little less to stay in boston remains to be see. if he continues to bond with teammates by end of contract, he may take less than market to stay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

He wil not take less to stay in Boston.

Casey Kotchman Age 28

Kotchman 2011 BA .326 OBP .385 SLG .443 OPS .828
    Kotchman career BA .267 OBP .333 SLG .399 OPS .732

Kotchman appears to breaking out at the plate.

Carl Crawford Age 28 in 2010

Crawford 2010 BA .307 OBP .356 SLG .495 OPS .851 19HR
    Crawford 2011 BA .245 OBP .280 SLG .379 OPS .659 12 Projected
    Crawford career BA .293 OBP .334 SLG .440 OPS .774 13HR

Ellsbury Age 28 in 2011

Ellsbury 2011 BA .317 OBP .373 SLG .513 OPS .886 24 Projected
    Ellsbury 2010 BA .192 OBP .241 SLG .244 OPS .485 0 HR
    Ellsbury 2009 BA .301 OBP .355 SLG .415 OPS .770 9 HR
    Ellsbury career BA . 298 OBP .351 SLG .430 OPS .781 12 HR

Is Crawford the 2010 Crawford?

Is Kotchman the 2011 Kotchman?

Is Ellsbury the 2011 Ellsbury?

Do you offer Ellsbury 130M over 7 years, and pay for the 2011 Ellsbury?

Do you winter trade Ellsbury's 2 years and 6 to 8M a year?

Note: Ellsbury 2011 v. LHP BA .246 OBP .319 SLG .405 OPS .724

Do you go long term with this OF:

Ellsbury
    Crawford
    Reddick/Kalish/Aviles

Note: Local Red Sox Fan and media MVP candidate is 9th in AL OPS and way behind OF'ers Bautista and Granderson, with Granderson also sporting 20 steals 84 RBI's, 98 runs and 28 homers. Ellsbury is also trailing Pedroia, who has 22 steals, AGon and Ortiz in OPS.

Who is the team MVP?

Agon, Pedroia, Ortiz, Beckett or Ellsbury?

Theo is mortgaged down on Crawford, whose career numbers say he won't repeat 2011 in 2012. I see no chance Theo extends Ellsbury or signs him as a FA because he has to look at the career averages if he wants to avoid a Crawbust decision. I don't think ownership would authorize a budget for Ellsbury and Crawford.

But let's forget the fact that Theo's not going to extend or sign Ellsbury as a FA. Do you want Theo to:

1. extend or sign Ellsbury as a FA?

2. If so, how much and how many years do you offer?

3. If not, do you trade Ellsbury's 2 years of control, over the winter, or hope he is the 2011 Ellsbury for 2012 and 2013 and pay the likely arbitration award amount of 12 to 14M and hope to get a draft pick or two?

4. If you want Ellsbury retained, who is your 3rd OF'er for 2012? Who is your 4th OF'er for 2012?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I agree Softy. No need to buy "high" on Ellsbury. He is under control for 2 more years and smart to let it play out. Sox are not going to be be able to sign him on a "deal" as they did with Lester, Youk, Pedroia, Buch.
    Sox have dealt with Boras before, know Ellsbury better than any other team. When the time comes, if Ellsbury "has to" be resigned, Sox have the cash to do it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

1 good year = 160 million. Great......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Whether the Red Sox sign him now or later does not matter to me, just that they do sign him long term at whatever cost.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

In Response to Sign Ellsbury Now:
    [QUOTE]Just get it done. Im sick of hearing Kemp is better. Simply untrue. Phenomenal season, he gets in done in the clutch, and he has emerged as an offensive powerhouse. He's too good to let go. I know there have been threads discussing this, but the last two nights shed new light on this discussion, and as Ells really solidifies his name in the MVP candidacy, I would love to see a deal get done. Tough with Boras, but if we can do it, he's a true gamechanger. 
    Posted by thewags[/QUOTE]

if the SOX don't re-sign ells, the blame will be strictly on theo blunder's shoulders.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

No logical reason to sign Ells this season.  Next year, perhaps.

Trade him this off-season if another team makes an offer impossible to refuse.

Otherwise, status quo.  Working just fine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Ellsbury Now:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Sign Ellsbury Now : if the SOX don't re-sign ells, the blame will be strictly on theo blunder's shoulders.
    Posted by the___yazzer[/QUOTE]
     Wrong.  It will have nothing to do with Theo.  It will have everything to do with Scott Boras.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

thewags with the adolescent approach to things.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I'd like to see Ellsbury re-signed too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

No chance Theo's allowance includes Crawbust and Ellsbury post CBA arbitration in 2 years. Ellsbury will be playing for another team, 2.3 years from now or sooner, and the team that buys 2011 will regret it like a Crawbust ball and chain.

Crawford isn't 2011 Crawford.

Ellsbury isn't 2011 Ellsbury.

Neither can slug out of a wet paper bag against LHP.

Crawford, like it or not, is the colored lefty speed player profile that Theo obligated the budget on.

Lucky windfall to get 2011 out of Ellsbury, and unlucky to get Crawford's career worst season.

Going forward, pretty clear what to do on the OF plans for 2012. Crawford is defaulted mortgage, Ellsbury's 2 control years can be traded and net a lot more than some hopeful draft pick or two. No way will a better window every present to trade for a true slugging star RH OF'er.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

as much as i would like to keep ellsbury for a long deal it will not happen because of the money crawford is costing.we will see.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Bigger mistake than:

winter 2011, "sign Crawford now!".

Sections
Shortcuts