Sign Grady Sizemore.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Sign Grady Sizemore.

The Sox should make every effort to sign Grady Sizemore. He is still young[29], and could play right field, he ias a very good defensive outfielder with a strong throwing arm, has good speed, and if he is healthy, and I realize that  is a big 'if', he could be the find of this years free agents.
    I believe getting out of Cleveland and starting over with a new team, is very important for Sizemore, and I believe he will have a very productive year, maybe not  as good as he was 3 or 4 years ago, but he still is young enough to have several good years ahead of him, and the Sox would benefit from his ability to again be a productive player. 

Please Sox sign him, and do not sign anyone else to play right field. Then the Sox can let Kalish have at least one half year at Pawtucket, and then bring him up as the fourth outfielder.

The Sox do not need to sign any high priced player's this off season, and go with Sizemore while letting Kalish, Iglelias and others get furthur seasoning at Pawtucket.

Also they should return Weiland to the pen where he would be best suited along with Bowden and they could fill two spots in the pen. The Sox should return Doubront to the starter's job and let him become the 5th starter.

Now need to spend any big money this off season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Sign Grady Sizemore.

Sizemore will never be the same player he once was. Cleveland obviously thought the same thing by letting him walk. PASS !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Perhaps Grady Sizemore will return to his roots in Seattle to play for Eric Wedge, who managed Sizemore and the Cleveland Indians to 96 wins and the ALCS in 2007.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thehotstoneleague/2016658583_grady_sizemore_officially_a_fr.html

But:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?&articleid=1377446&format=&page=1&listingType=sox#articleFull

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

I would sign him, but not as the sole outfielder. He has sucked the past 2 years so you will get him for cheap. He would be a project signing. The low risk high reward guy who if it doent work out you just cut him. Just a one year deal as a backup, hope for a career resurgence type year, and if not no real problem.

Teams do this type of thing often. The cardinals had Brekman, last year the rays had Benoit, Washington had Dmitri Young in 07, the yankees had bartolo Colon, TB did it this year with Casey Kotchman  the list goes on.

I say do it and according to Baseball Reference So would Cherington 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Sign Grady Sizemore.:
    [QUOTE]The Sox should make every effort to sign Grady Sizemore. He is still young[29], and could play right field, he ias a very good defensive outfielder with a strong throwing arm, has good speed, and if he is healthy, and I realize that  is a big 'if', he could be the find of this years free agents. I believe getting out of Cleveland and starting over with a new team, is very important for Sizemore, and I believe he will have a very productive year, maybe not  as good as he was 3 or 4 years ago, but he still is young enough to have several good years ahead of him, and the Sox would benefit from his ability to again be a productive player.  Please Sox sign him, and do not sign anyone else to play right field. Then the Sox can let Kalish have at least one half year at Pawtucket, and then bring him up as the fourth outfielder. The Sox do not need to sign any high priced player's this off season, and go with Sizemore while letting Kalish, Iglelias and others get furthur seasoning at Pawtucket. Also they should return Weiland to the pen where he would be best suited along with Bowden and they could fill two spots in the pen. The Sox should return Doubront to the starter's job and let him become the 5th starter. Now need to spend any big money this off season.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

Sorry peanut, but I have to agree with my fellow posters.  Sizemore will never be the same after injuries and he has never hit LHP well anyway.  It would be like bringing Drew back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

IMO, that would be a horrendous FA signing for a myriad of reasons, most significant of which is his health. Due to 5 surguries in the last 3 years, his speed is gone and he is not a fit, pure and simple. Oh no, really, really a bad idea.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from chasemon. Show chasemon's posts

We don't need another LEFTY BAT!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Just what the Sox need! An injury prone left handed hitting outfielder!
    Why not just re-sign Drew, while they're at it?
    This guy's been injured so often, his nickname is "DL" Sizemore.
    He makes Drew look like a Green Beret. Plus the Sox already have 10 left handed hitting outfielders.
    Just an insane idea.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chasemon. Show chasemon's posts

Go after Melky Cabrerra, switch hitting, strong in the field!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Big risk, little upside, really.

We should pass.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Sizemore value is 1 year and 1 million with incentives. Red Sox do not need Sizemore unless it is to set up a big trade, dubious.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I hope the Sox pass on this one. This is not the same Sizemore as several years ago. Not even close. Let someone else take a chance on him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Hard to detirmine the $$ value that w/b put on Sizemore. I am thinking that Sizemore might decide to either sit the year out and get healthy, or go to a team that does not need him, and can wait for him to get healthy.
    Sizemore has now gone under the knife five times in three seasons. He has appeared in 200 of 486 possible games. His surgeries have consisted of left elbow, left groin twice and left knee. In addition, he had surgery on his right knee after the season to heal a bone bruise. He also hasn’t fully recovered from left knee microfracture surgery performed in June 2010. With the surgeries, his defense, throwing arm and speed have all taken a hit as well.
    Indians are intimate with his medicals, and will either pass on him entirely, or negotiate a new contract.
    What might that be? Split contract/show me health? Major league min?
    I am thinking a reduced Sizemore may be the equivilent of a healthy Kalish/Reddick

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Better have good MD gleaning over his prior medical records...

Grady plays the game hard...

I like Jason Kubel in Right and he can DH too if Papi goes...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Looks like KC going year to year with Melkey. He is a free agent. Sox could give the guy a two year deal...KC may offer him arb and get something if signs a deal with another team...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I know Sizemore would be a good RF defender if he is a healthy player.  But like someone said it above, the line up will still be too lefty!!!  

Per reading 2012 free agents for RF, I think the top three to five best defenders including Sizemore are all mostly left handed hitters while top three to five best RF hitters, but are not a great skiilled defender are all right handed hitters.

So which way is more important for Boston, power hitting RF or great defender RF?

Well, Boston probably will wait on what Papi want to do cuz Boston would like to resign him.  If he walk, it is more likely that Boston either keep Youkilis to play 3b or bat dH and find a new right hitting 3B like Rameriz.  Or trade Youkilis, sign Rameriz to play 3B and sign Beltran as a DH/fourth OF.  But per reading MLB, Beltran isnt interested being a DH.  He rather to play on the field.  

Really Boston got nothing to lose for the RF spot cuz they already have Kalish/Reddick who could possible play every day at the major league level.  But the most concern is the starting pitching, every day 3B and need more right handed power hitters especially to protect A-Gonz.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I would take Sizemore over Crawford, but doubt CC could be moved. I think he would be a plus for any team but another LH bat in the line-up just doesn't play well.
    On the inury/surgery side, players come back all the time from surgery and play just fine. Everyone thinks pitchers who have TJ surgery will be stronger when they return, so I'm just not buying it. Agon came back from shoulder surgery and hit his hightest BA in his career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Grady Sizemore.:
    [QUOTE]I would take Sizemore over Crawford, but doubt CC could be moved. I think he would be a plus for any team but another LH bat in the line-up just doesn't play well. On the inury/surgery side, players come back all the time from surgery and play just fine. Everyone thinks pitchers who have TJ surgery will be stronger when they return, so I'm just not buying it. Agon came back from shoulder surgery and hit his hightest BA in his career.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Based on what?  Sizemore has been hurt for three years.  At least Crawford is healthy and can play.  Sox don't need another injury prone OF who bats LH.  If he wants to sign cheap to be fourth OF ok, but no multi-year deal for more than minimal money.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Duh! Did you look at the lineups that were in the World Series?
    Almost totally dominated by right handed players.
    If you know anything about baseball, all right handed hitters play agaonst all pitching from birth. Lefties rarely see lefty pitching, and don't hit it. Right vs. right does not present those problems.
    The Sox have ZERO right handed power. Period.
    This needs to be addressed.
    Saltalamacchia and Lowrie? Are you kidding? MCDonald,Aviles and Jackson? Are you serious? POWER? Not!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Signing Sizemore would cost about 2 million dollars, very little in today's game. H e would be better than McDonald, Jackson, or dare I say even Reddick. And IF he were to stay reasonably healthy, he could prove to  be a very valuable piece of the pie.
    Getting for instance, Melkey Cabrera, would require a trade, thus giving up talented prospects, or someone on the current team.  And even Cabrera with his good 2011 season would be a gamble, as he tends to be good one year and nor so good the  next year.

Sorry but I believe the 2 million it would take to sign him is low risk, and if he didn't work out the Sox would know early next year, but if he were to stay healthy, the upside would be very good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Sign Grady Sizemore.:
    [QUOTE]The Sox should make every effort to sign Grady Sizemore. He is still young[29], and could play right field, he ias a very good defensive outfielder with a strong throwing arm, has good speed, and if he is healthy, and I realize that  is a big 'if', he could be the find of this years free agents. I believe getting out of Cleveland and starting over with a new team, is very important for Sizemore, and I believe he will have a very productive year, maybe not  as good as he was 3 or 4 years ago, but he still is young enough to have several good years ahead of him, and the Sox would benefit from his ability to again be a productive player.  Please Sox sign him, and do not sign anyone else to play right field. Then the Sox can let Kalish have at least one half year at Pawtucket, and then bring him up as the fourth outfielder. The Sox do not need to sign any high priced player's this off season, and go with Sizemore while letting Kalish, Iglelias and others get furthur seasoning at Pawtucket. Also they should return Weiland to the pen where he would be best suited along with Bowden and they could fill two spots in the pen. The Sox should return Doubront to the starter's job and let him become the 5th starter. Now need to spend any big money this off season.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

Dam ! Another lefty? To bad Youk and Scutaro don't bat lefty..NOT!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If we all look at the September scheduling, about half of these approximately 30 games, Tampa/Yankees/Orioles have all faced Boston.  30% to 40% of these games, there were left handed starting pitchers facing Boston's heavy left handed line up.  Also with the September call up, these three teams were able to use as many lefty relievers to pitch against Boston's lefty hitters.   It probably paid off some of their games.  I know Boston's biggest problem was their starting pitchers.  But I also think having too lefty line up for the month of September is one of the other problem too!!!

That was why I do not think they have a chance to beat Texas in the post season, but they have a good chance to beat Detroit due lack of left handed pitchers on Detriot's pitching staffs!!

That is why it is important to just add one power hitting right handed hitter via trade or free agent.  Youkilis isnt the answer to bat #4 or #5.  If Boston get a good right hitting player with power, Youkilis is more likely to move down to the #6 spot.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I like the idea of picking up Jason Kubel as a DH to split time with Youk and spell CC in left or Juan Carlos Linares in RF.
    There is a high reward  if Sizemore goes through the year healthy--I think he may eventually resign with Cleve. or go to Seattle. He's been a fine player and if Ben could convice him to come here for $2 M plus incentives to $9M and he maxed out we would be in good shape.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

A healthy Cabrera is still a better fielder than the current Sizemore with all his health issues.  If Cabrera can repeat 2011 he would be a signing.  He has a healthy track record and would work well against both RH and LH pitchers at the bottom of the lineup and project a bit more power than the RF slot provided all of last year.  That said it would make more sense to ignore this position until the very end and concentrate on the starting and BP pitching

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I really don't know why so many are hung up on the notion that the Sox are to lefthanded. After all I do believe that their are many more righthanded starters in baseball than lefthanders, and a good left hand bat is always good to  have.
    That would still leave the Sox with righthanders such as Lavanway, Pedroia, Scutaro, Youkilis,Jackson, Mcdonald,Aviles, and switch hitters like Saltalamacchia and Lowrie,[and Varitek]. Also if Ortiz is not resigned, then the Sox could sign a rigthhanders like Cuddyer. That leaves Crawford, Ellsbury, Gonzalez [if signed Sizemore] Reddick and kalish as lefthanders. Thats really not a bad balance.
    Heck if a player can and does hit, I really don't care which way he bats.

Sections
Shortcuts