Sign Grady Sizemore.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Sign Grady Sizemore.

Well, there are alot of good ideas of who should be the RF on this board.

But that is not Boston's main concern.  Boston's main concerns are their starting pitching staffs, closer/bullpen, a right hitting power hitter and DH. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

In Response to Re: Sign Grady Sizemore.:
    [QUOTE]I would take Sizemore over Crawford, but doubt CC could be moved. I think he would be a plus for any team but another LH bat in the line-up just doesn't play well. On the inury/surgery side, players come back all the time from surgery and play just fine. Everyone thinks pitchers who have TJ surgery will be stronger when they return, so I'm just not buying it. Agon came back from shoulder surgery and hit his hightest BA in his career.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Is this a joke?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I really don't know why so many are hung up on the notion that the Sox are to lefthanded. After all I do believe that their are many more righthanded starters in baseball than lefthanders, and a good left hand bat is always good to  have. That would still leave the Sox with righthanders such as Lavanway, Pedroia, Scutaro, Youkilis,Jackson, Mcdonald,Aviles, and switch hitters like Saltalamacchia and Lowrie,[and Varitek]. Also if Ortiz is not resigned, then the Sox could sign a rigthhanders like Cuddyer. That leaves Crawford, Ellsbury, Gonzalez [if signed Sizemore] Reddick and kalish as lefthanders. Thats really not a bad balance. Heck if a player can and does hit, I really don't care which way he bats.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

But the fact is the LH hitters do have bad splits, whichs means they DONT hit, which means they ARE too left handed.  How can you ignore how easy it was to pitch to the Sox last year?

Your "balance" is all over the map- you list a bunch of RH guys from the bench. Pedroia, Youkilis and Scutaro are the only real RH hitters, other than the weak hitting catcher SH's Salty/Tek.  Youk can't seem to play 130 games. Scutaro isnt scaring anyone either. 

They need a real RH threat in the lineup, not another .260 popgun slap hitter or yet another LH injury prone Drew-wannabe in RF.  Terrible suggestion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]I really don't know why so many are hung up on the notion that the Sox are to lefthanded. After all I do believe that their are many more righthanded starters in baseball than lefthanders, and a good left hand bat is always good to  have. That would still leave the Sox with righthanders such as Lavanway, Pedroia, Scutaro, Youkilis,Jackson, Mcdonald,Aviles, and switch hitters like Saltalamacchia and Lowrie,[and Varitek]. Also if Ortiz is not resigned, then the Sox could sign a rigthhanders like Cuddyer. That leaves Crawford, Ellsbury, Gonzalez [if signed Sizemore] Reddick and kalish as lefthanders. Thats really not a bad balance. Heck if a player can and does hit, I really don't care which way he bats.
    Posted by peanutandme[/QUOTE]

Not to many lefty's were reaching that very short left field wall.How many lefty Yankees were licking their chops at the short right field in Yankee Stadium.Don't forget sox play half their games at fenway and a Big righty bat is sorely missing. Pitching is still our main thought.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'd love to see Sizemore, but I think his pricetag is going to be more like $4 or $5M.  If healthy, he's a $20M player, so you're basically giving him a 25% chance of being the player he once was, or somewhere shy of totally useless.

It doesn't matter if he's left-handed - he's cheap enough to platoon with Aviles, and we'll have Lavarnway catching against LH starters, to go along with a healthy (hopefully) Youk, and Pedroia.  We'll have plenty of offense against Lefties.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Even Drew was less injury prone than Sizemore has been.    Better off using Kalish and  Reddick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raa5150. Show raa5150's posts

He is alwyas hurt, don't be stupid. use your head. Why would you sign a guy even at low money who is not, I repeat is not going to play most of the time? I'd rather sign Josh Willingham who gives you legit righty power especially in Fenway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

If the Sox let Ortiz walk, and sign someone like Michael Cuddyer, who can play OF or 3rd, the Sox could benefit from signing Grady Sizemore as their 4th OF/DH. He and Youk would split time as DH vs RHP, and Lavarnaway is DH vs. Lefties. This creates a nice rotation, that hopefully keeps everyone healthy.  If a position player is hurting, it is nice to have the Open DH spot as an option to keep them healthy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Nah. Don't need another left handed OF. I dont think he will ever be the same though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]I would take Sizemore over Crawford, but doubt CC could be moved. I think he would be a plus for any team but another LH bat in the line-up just doesn't play well. On the inury/surgery side, players come back all the time from surgery and play just fine. Everyone thinks pitchers who have TJ surgery will be stronger when they return, so I'm just not buying it. Agon came back from shoulder surgery and hit his hightest BA in his career.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Sizemore over CC? That's the funniest thing I've heard all week. I can't wait til next year when he shuts some of this crap up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Plenty of athletes have come back from microfracture surgery - some came back and never lost a step.  I don't understand where the downside is - spend 1% of the payroll on a chance that a formerly elite player rebounds and returns to form. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Its not a bad move if you don't sign Papi.  The team can be very flexable with the dh position without Papi clogging it up everyday.  I really think you can rest and keep players healthier by rotating the them through the dh position on a regular basis with an occasional day off mixed in.  As much as I enjoy watching Papi hit he hurts the teams flexibilty during a long season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Duh! Did you look at the lineups that were in the World Series? Almost totally dominated by right handed players. If you know anything about baseball, all right handed hitters play agaonst all pitching from birth. Lefties rarely see lefty pitching, and don't hit it. Right vs. right does not present those problems. The Sox have ZERO right handed power. Period. This needs to be addressed. Saltalamacchia and Lowrie? Are you kidding? MCDonald,Aviles and Jackson? Are you serious? POWER? Not!
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

FWIW, we had an .811 against righties and .807 against lefties.  I'm not sure this is a major issue.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If we all look at the September scheduling, about half of these approximately 30 games, Tampa/Yankees/Orioles have all faced Boston.  30% to 40% of these games, there were left handed starting pitchers facing Boston's heavy left handed line up.

We saw about 33% of our starts against lefties, while the league in general faced lefties 30% of the time.

But since our hitting against lefties and righties were about the same.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

It would be horrible. Another lefty, and based on his stats, his injuries, etc, doesn't he look like someone who was 'boosted' earlier in his career by potential illegal substances?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I hope you all realize that Sox management are thinking about trying to sign Sizemore. So maybe he will not be the regular rightfielder, or the Sox have other moves in mind such as not signing Ortiz and finding a RH batter for the DH. Could Cuddyer be in the mix? Or Willingham? Signing Sizemore does not necessarily mean the RF job is his, but only that the Sox think he could and would help if healthy.
    Also Ellsbury and Gonzalez hit lefties, and they are certainly not going to sit whenever a  leftie pitches. Now add the fact that Saltalamacchia and Lowrie are switch hitters, that means that only Crawford would be a lefthand bat everyday.
    So lets try to sign Sizemore, wait for the Sox to sign another righthand bat for either the outfield or DH[or both] and then see where we are at.
    After all it's only November and their will be alot of rooster moves[hopefully] between now and February.
    Also if the Sox don't resign Ortiz, then that makes them a more balanced team. I am in favor of resigning Papelbon and letting Ortiz walk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

LET HIM PLATOON :D

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

this is a tough call. grady sizemore is no doubt a talented player. he is 29 so he is still in his prime, and is very good defensively. the problem is that he is extremely injury prone. yes he would be another left handed bat, but we did have an all left handed outfield this past year so that would not be a big deal.in terms of the free agent market, i would probably take a shot on him. if there is someone better to be had via trade then by all means go for it. but if we could sign sizemore for cheap and use kalish/reddick as a back up in case he goes down, i think it would be a good move. he also gives us flexibility in that he could shift over to center if need be with ease. i think it would be a good move. and i think the comparisons to jd drew are undeserved. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Operations on both knees as well as his throwing arm.
    Talk about looking for trouble. This guy''s calling card was his speed.
    No way that hasn't been impacted by four surgeries on his legs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Sizemore might be a buy low. He's worth a look if only to see what he's asking for. Remember, RF needs to be addressed, but SP is the priority. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Boy after reading all of these posts I am not sure I want Sizemore anymore. I did saqy though we can only bring him in if we deduct one lefthanded bat out of our starting 9, maybe even two.

We are really top heavy on lefties.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

If Nationals give Grady the full-time gig at CF, he may go there...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

Sizemore = Baldelli.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Sizemore = Baldelli.
    Posted by SanCap[/QUOTE]

Except that Sizemore had knee surgery, and Baldelli had an incurable muscular disease.  Why not pick a guy like Carlos Beltran, who despite being six years older, bounced back from his knee surgeries to have a great year in 2011.  Some on this board have even suggested he be the next Sox RF.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

wow more boners for oft injured players.

yawn.

Sections
Shortcuts