Simple truths

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

Simple truths

Simple Truth #1:  Organizational culture is the responsibility of the most powerful person in the organization.

This article here:
    http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/page/bryant-111013/mlb-classless-end-red-sox-greatest-glory
    ... gets it right.

GM's make mistakes; pitchers drink and get out of shape; managers lose control of clubhouses.  Usually, those smoldering embers are extinguished, because someone is in charge, and they steer the ship.

John Henry ducked out on the season, while keeping himself the most-powerful person in the organization.  Oops.

Simple Truth #2: It's not whether you win or lose, it's how badly you treat each other when you lose.

I don't see a soap opera out of Atlanta.  Hmm ... wonder why.

Simple Truth #3: This is not a contender in 2012.

This pains me, but I see the Sox as in a painfully slow decline, like recent Indianapolis Colts teams.  Best to start rebuilding now, before Gonzalez, Pedroia, Ellsbury and Buccholz are gone or finished.

Simple Truth #4:  Red Sox brass really, truly need to get over themselves.

Note to ownership: you are UNDERperforming in the past 3 years.  That means your vaunted "philosophy" needs work.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Simple truths

Maybe its time this ownerships sells...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

We would be lucky if they sold; it's not happening.

Henry NEEDS the money at this point (see: oops, my highly leveraged secondary securities aren't worth anything any more), and he's just lost the thread.

Lucchino hovers around acting like a hurt uncle ... what's he getting paid for this?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

How are we in decline?

We have a core that 80% of the rest of MLB envies, we are not old (once we get rid of the 3 you know who's,) and we have two pitchers that could easily turn it around next year along with a 3rd that if healthy can be as good as any.

1) Elles
    2) Pedroia
    3) Crawford
    4) AGon
    5) Iglesias

1) Beckett
    2) Lester
    3) C. Bucholz

1) Aceves
    2) Bard

There is your core folks - one of the best in the Majors. Ad a player or two and walah. New GM and new Manager, 

The only thing missing is the right attitude. Beckett has a choice and the others can be released or traded (Youk) (Lackey).

Please tell me how the right manager and a couple of pink slips cant change the attitude?

Then answer me how just with the players I listed above, tell me how in the hell that isn't a great nucleus.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Hyperbole.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In Response to Re: Simple truths:
    [QUOTE]How are we in decline? We have a core that 80% of the rest of MLB envies, we are not old (once we get rid of the 3 you know who's,) and we have two pitchers that could easily turn it around next year along with a 3rd that if healthy can be as good as any. 1) Elles 2) Pedroia 3) Crawford 4) AGon 5) Iglesias 1) Beckett 2) Lester 3) C. Bucholz 1) Aceves 2) Bard There is your core folks - one of the best in the Majors. Ad a player or two and walah. New GM and new Manager,  The only thing missing is the right attitude. Beckett has a choice and the others can be released or traded (Youk) (Lackey). Please tell me how the right manager and a couple of pink slips cant change the attitude? Then answer me how just with the players I listed above, tell me how in the hell that isn't a great nucleus.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    Morning Burrito
    I p[osted this on another thread, basically got negative comments back. Im in agreement with you, we have a good nucleus. I also think its time to get a lot younger a lot quicker. the Sox need to start right now!

I think it's time to go young! Im tired of thinking you can buy a WS! We all have our favorite old time players, but when do we say goodbye and let the young breath? Im tired of hearing about young players coming up in other organizations and all we hear is that we have this kid or that kid in the minors and he is not ready. Not ready at age 22-25? If thats the case it's time to clean the system of them. That being said,
    C- Salty & Lavarnway (also DH)
    1st - Agon
    2nd - Pedey
    SS - Bogaerts (only 19 and showing HR power)
    3RD - Middlebrooks (23 and HR power)
    LF - Crawford
    CF - Ells
    RF - Brentz (right handed power we seek)
    DH - Papi
    Utilty Lowrie, Aviles, (Reddick or Kalish)
    SP - Beckett, Buch, Jon, Doubront,((Bedard if he will stay) or Barnes or Ranaudo)
    BP - Aceves, Wheeler, Morales, Bowden, Bard, Jenks, Albers

Trade Lackey, yes someone on the west coast will take him, just be prepared to eat all but a million a year of his contract. This lose of money is easily made up by a minimum ML contract of one of the kids that take his place, they cannot do any worse!
    Tek - walks or becomes a coach
    Youk - trade to Cinci, Pick up all but 1 Mil of his contract
    Paps - let him walk take the draft picks
    Wake - retires, like i said its time to let the kids play!
    Scut - Thanks for the few good years and good luck to you

Everyone else? - Who cares send them to AAA or let them take a walk!

I dont have time to see what the cost ramifications are, but im thinking the payroll would be no more than where it is and most likely less! Im tired of watching my Sox try to buy a WS! Lets do it from within or bust! At least we would expect the kids to go out and bust their butts trying to impress.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Simple truths:
    [QUOTE]Simple Truth #1:  Organizational culture is the responsibility of the most powerful person in the organization. This article here: http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/page/bryant-111013/mlb-classless-end-red-sox-greatest-glory ... gets it right. GM's make mistakes; pitchers drink and get out of shape; managers lose control of clubhouses.  Usually, those smoldering embers are extinguished, because someone is in charge, and they steer the ship. John Henry ducked out on the season, while keeping himself the most-powerful person in the organization.  Oops. Simple Truth #2: It's not whether you win or lose, it's how badly you treat each other when you lose. I don't see a soap opera out of Atlanta.  Hmm ... wonder why. Simple Truth #3: This is not a contender in 2012. This pains me, but I see the Sox as in a painfully slow decline, like recent Indianapolis Colts teams.  Best to start rebuilding now, before Gonzalez, Pedroia, Ellsbury and Buccholz are gone or finished. Simple Truth #4:  Red Sox brass really, truly need to get over themselves. Note to ownership: you are UNDERperforming in the past 3 years.  That means your vaunted "philosophy" needs work.
    Posted by ABQDan[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this 100%

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hi promise yes a new Manager and GM should make a difference in attitude. I believe Lackey is a must to move and perhaps Youk (if a trade makes sense). Beckett needs to be confronted head on by the new management and depending on his reaction we either roll with or without.

Even if Tek or Wake were the more positive of the bunch like you said we need to get younger fast - they both need to go.

Ortiz stays if he doesn't cop an attitude, however if he goes we must have another 30 homer bat to go with AGon. AGon is great but he will not carry the offense alone, has shown already. He needs help in the power department.

This is an excellent nucleus, we agree.

To hit on youth I see no reason not to roll with Iglesias at SS at least until July. Even if he has a .000 average for the first half our offense can easily carry the difference. I would say the same for RF, but wem may need to ad a Cudduyer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Simple truths:
    [QUOTE]Hi promise yes a new Manager and GM should make a difference in attitude. I believe Lackey is a must to move and perhaps Youk (if a trade makes sense). Beckett needs to be confronted head on by the new management and depending on his reaction we either roll with or without. Even if Tek or Wake were the more positive of the bunch like you said we need to get younger fast - they both need to go. Ortiz stays if he doesn't cop an attitude, however if he goes we must have another 30 homer bat to go with AGon. AGon is great but he will not carry the offense alone, has shown already. He needs help in the power department. This is an excellent nucleus, we agree. To hit on youth I see no reason not to roll with Iglesias at SS at least until July. Even if he has a .000 average for the first half our offense can easily carry the difference. I would say the same for RF, but wem may need to ad a Cudduyer.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Great post.  I agree with all of your changes for next season.  Although, I am not sure that Iglesias is ready to become a starter. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hi susan so long as he plays great D we can afford to take any lumps from lack of offense.  By all*star break he is either doing very well or we can then go get a SS for the rest of the year.  These are the kinds of things most teams do and something the Red Sox used to do more of.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

How are we in decline?

First, we are declining in terms of outcomes of seasons.  You know - the old won/lost record?

Second, I'd recommend - before a knee jerk response - having a think about why the RS are all over ESPN and the Braves are not.  The organization is radically dysfunctional.  That is now an egg from which very ugly chickens will hatch.  You and I may disagree on the importance of this; I would love to be proven wrong in 2012.  However, I think the best the '12 RS can do - even with an off-season of good luck and moves - would be a WC berth and 1st round elimination.  That would be the very best.

If they do NOT fix the dysfunction, they will be what their record says they are: a pricy 3rd place team.

Success in sports depends upon talent, as well as emotion (channel and use or else ...).  The RS have above-average talent; they now have an ugly emotional abyss in the team.  IMO the people on this board are vastly underestimating how negatively the last month will affect W/L next year. 

What level of denial is involved in seeing the franchise face (Ortiz) say he's sick of the drama?  Let him go?  OK, good luck replacing his #'s.  Cecil Fielder is (unfortunately, probably) not walking through that door. 

You like several of the players on the team ....  With all due respect, so what?  Lots of teams have a good nucleus.  Teams with good contributions from 25/40 roster spots are the ones that really compete. 

Here's a secret: other teams have good nucleii as well.  You are off-base thinking that other teams would kill for the list of players you listed.  Yes, some of them are fantastic - Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Lester - are prizes in any system.

Buccholz has been a tease (see: Barry Zito, once also a prize arm) and has not done what a frontline starter needs to do, which is show consistency. 

If you asked the other playoff teams if they wanted to trade rosters with us, do you really think any would say yes?  Even if we pretended there were no financial considerations?  They would not.

Suggesting that Iglesias or Lavarnway are ready for a MLB roster - I am sincerely sorry to put it this way - shows a total lack of understanding of the on-field nuances of the game at the pro level.  Neither are close to being able to put together 4 MLB at-bats in a game over even part of season.

Finally, you ask "Please tell me how the right manager and a couple of pink slips cant change the attitude?"

Answer: because the owner is an arrogant jerk and the real root of the attitude problem.

Burrito, do me a favor and don't act like some of the children on here and personalize all of this -- I do enjoy a good back and forth and like I said, I hope to heaven I am wrong, I just am calling what I see.  Difference of opinion is healthy; childish stuff means basically I lose interest.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ABQDan. Show ABQDan's posts

I want to post again about Simple Truth #1.

John Henry is responsible for this team.  Making excuses is ... not what leadership is about. 

I've posted elsewhere about what I've observed on other MLB teams (I have occasionally been involved with pro sports people in the past in a few sports).  I have seen all different kinds of styles, from the "family business" team to the "cold corporate" team to the "rich guy's pride and joy" team ...

... I honestly can't remember an owner simply failing to hold up their end of things to this extent.  And there is no polite way to state this, but those who think that the owner's end of things is to provide money are completely unaware of how successful organizations work, or what it's like to lead an organization.

John Henry is a poor leader of this franchise.  Larry Lucchino is not a leader at all (funny, those "future commissioner" rumors have pretty much evaporated, eh?).

The few people who demonstrated leadership have been dumped and then bad-mouthed, which is yet another instance of poor leadership.

And when you have bad leadership, you wind up underperforming.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i will say this about the sox brass - they hung tito out to dry by not renewing his contract and that had an adverse affect on discipline...tito was not the kind of manager to deal with that well and it all collapsed...but everyone in the organization had to have known that Tito was a dead man walking for 2012...and that is managements fault