Single Biggest Factor we have Sucked since August 2011 - PITCHING

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Single Biggest Factor we have Sucked since August 2011 - PITCHING

And yet nothing.....

Not a single true addition to the pitching staff since Eric Bedard. Laughable. But by all means lets get our offense geared up so we can score 5 runs a game, only to loose 8-5 day in and day out.

Hopefully Napoli in his 100 Fenway at-bats next year will really provide some "thunder". I garauntee a whopping 45 home-runs from the Ortiz/Napoli combo.

Lester

Lackey

Clay

Doubrant

and some yahoo like Dempster or Dickey

Ben Cherrington is following the same stupid blue-print the Sox have used since 2008..... 4th place and that is only if Baltimore falls flat (which they very well may do).

New York just improved its chances by having ARod out... third place is still their destination.

Tampa once again hogs all the pitching (which is why they stay in the race) and provides no protection for Longoria... treading water for second place.

Toronto is the team to beat.

5) Red Sox

4) O's

3) New York

2) Tampa

1) Toronto 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Re: Single Biggest Factor we have Sucked since August 2011 - PITCHING

Still time,money to spend,and good prospect on the farm to fix up that rotation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

We have a very good 3 thru 5 staff, which is why we are screwed this year. Lester must be his old self, and Clay must be a winner to.... 

We are in such a spot that the staff must all be at their best, something they have not been since early August 2011.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

THEY'RE DUE!

seriously, i think they need a better culture as a pitching staff. they need some inter-competitive spirit, someone who goes "i just went 7 innings with 2 ER yesterday. lets see what you can do today". hopefully Jf and the new pitching coach can fix mechanics and inspire them to feed off each other and encourage  them to outdo the last. we still need another pitcher any way you slice it though

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Clay should be fine and Lester hopefully will come back. I have a feeling like will be a quality pitcher once healthy. They need to sign one pitcher but the pitching market isn't set yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

too early for this. Joes right. Gotta wait for the pitching market to set up. If they go the trade route, that could take some time as well. Im betting they will get a solid pitcher for the rotation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

THEY'RE DUE!

seriously, i think they need a better culture as a pitching staff. they need some inter-competitive spirit, someone who goes "i just went 7 innings with 2 ER yesterday. lets see what you can do today". hopefully Jf and the new pitching coach can fix mechanics and inspire them to feed off each other and encourage  them to outdo the last. we still need another pitcher any way you slice it though

That is Right!  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

My issue from Joe's perspective is it is exaclty what most were saying a year ago.... "come back and should be fine".... it did not happen. We are holding hope only

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

but, your buddy thinks we don't need pitching at all.

The 5.00+ ERA was just a mirage.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

this is why a veteran like haren would be perfect for us. someone who can not only anchor our rotation but reign in the rest of the staff and keep their head on straight and not get flustered when the Ump makes a bad call or team mate makes a bad play.

farrell/ pitching coach (keep forgetting his name lol) could do this too but i believe something like this is more receptive when coming from other players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

If I were to disagree with softlaw it is certainly on that point. 2011 (specifically Aug-Sept) showed that a team scoring ten runs a game still loses when the other team score eleven.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Are the Dodgers absolutely, positively, undoubtedly, sure they don't want John Lackey? I don't think Ben is trying hard enough. Come on Dodgers! I know you want him. Let's stop playing these games. Come on! Just this last time. I swear. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I honestly dont hate our pitching.  I dont mind signing free agent hitters, because batting is much more predictable than pitching.  However, any pitcher, at any time, can plummet (especially when there is a change of scenary/pitching coach/park) involved.  I'm very wary of free agent pitchers because something so minor can turn a 5+ERA pitcher (Buchholz through May) into a #1 starter (Buchholz from June on) and vice versa.

I believe in drafting / developing pitchers.  I feel that the more a pitcher faces a hitter, the more that favors the hitter.  Therefore, Im okay with cheap call-ups to round out my staff because they'll have the luxury of unfamiliarity.

Also, I like: Lester, BUchholz, Doubront, Lackey, De La Rosa....

We still have Webster, Barnes , Morales + for depth.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Although I don't like the FA market for pitching this year I don't see BC doing a deal just to do a deal.  The market hasn't set up yet so I guess time will tell.  I would however like them to figure out a way to protect Lackey for the beginning of the season.  Hard to imagine that 30 degree temp in April is going to do his elbow much good.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I honestly dont hate our pitching.  I dont mind signing free agent hitters, because batting is much more predictable than pitching.  However, any pitcher, at any time, can plummet (especially when there is a change of scenary/pitching coach/park) involved.  I'm very wary of free agent pitchers because something so minor can turn a 5+ERA pitcher (Buchholz through May) into a #1 starter (Buchholz from June on) and vice versa.

I believe in drafting / developing pitchers.  I feel that the more a pitcher faces a hitter, the more that favors the hitter.  Therefore, Im okay with cheap call-ups to round out my staff because they'll have the luxury of unfamiliarity.

Our starters had an ERA over 5.00. We are essentially replacing Beckett (21 starts), Cook (18 GS), Dice-K (11 GS), and Bard (10 GS) as our starters from 2012 with Lackey, de la Rosa and maybe more from Morales.

Sorry, if I don't join in your enthusiasm.

It's hard to imagine us being worse than 2012, and I do think we may improve slightly by staying as is, but to be a serious contender, we need to add a solid arm to this rotation.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]   Great post...... However, I do see Ben moving Lester, Bard, Aceves, Bailey if the deal is right !!

[/QUOTE]

Do you now?  So if the Sox are offered a great deal for any/all of those players you can see them going?  Wow!  What a terrific insight!  You are a baseball genius! 

Any other predictions?  What about the Sun?   Do you think it will come up tomorrow?  From which direction?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Great post...... However, I do see Ben moving Lester, Bard, Aceves, Bailey if the deal is right !!

I would put $$ on Lester, Aceves and bard being here in 2013. Probably bailey too...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Our starters had an ERA over 5.00. We are essentially replacing Beckett (21 starts), Cook (18 GS), Dice-K (11 GS), and Bard (10 GS) as our starters from 2012 with Lackey, de la Rosa and maybe more from Morales.

Sorry, if I don't join in your enthusiasm.

It's hard to imagine us being worse than 2012, and I do think we may improve slightly by staying as is, but to be a serious contender, we need to add a solid arm to this rotation.

I feel that we have added multiple solid arms.  Lackey, De La Rosa.  Sure one more can help; however, Annibal may be too expensive for my tastes.  He has a career 3.8 NL ERA, which to me translates to 4.5 in the AL East.  He also had a K/9 < 7 when he pitched in AL (for the first time in his career).

I think he's a solid #3 pitcher, but I wouldnt overpay for him.  Someone like McCarthy on an incentive laden deal: of course!  But a major financial commitment to Annibal?  I dont think we are or should be that desperate.

Regarding last year's struggles: so much can change year to year (look at bartolo, garcia, dickey, c.lee, lester, kazmir, zito)...Every year multiple pitchers go from mediocrity to aces and revert from aces to crap.  This is why I feel that regarding pitchers: last years performance isnt necessarily a good indicator of this years results. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Yankees still won 95 games in 2012 despite an injured A-Rod, no Rivera, no Gardner and no Pineda.  They are still the team to beat in the AL East.

As for Toronto, we shall wait and see.

I remember when the media and so many fans picked Toronto to win the AL East in 1997 after they got Roger Clemens, Benito Santiago, Carlos Garcia and Orlando Merced.  They also had 1996 Cy Young winner Pat Hentgen and 1996 ERA leader, Juan Guzman.  Toronto finished dead last in 1997.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

P.S. As for the Red Sox, they need to sign McCarthy and Marcum.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I feel that we have added multiple solid arms.  Lackey, De La Rosa.  

I have more faith in the 2013 Beckett than Lackey, de la Rosa and Webster in 2013 alone. Yes, everything could all work out, but on paper, I don't see an improvement in our 2013 staff. With de la Rosa and Webster, we do look better for 2014 and beyond.

Sure one more can help; however, Annibal may be too expensive for my tastes.  He has a career 3.8 NL ERA, which to me translates to 4.5 in the AL East.  He also had a K/9 < 7 when he pitched in AL (for the first time in his career).

He's only pitched against the AL East: 

Bos 4.1 IP

Bal 6.1

NYY 8.2

TB 26.1

Tor 16.0

Are you really holding this against him?

I think he's a solid #3 pitcher, but I wouldnt overpay for him.  Someone like McCarthy on an incentive laden deal: of course!  But a major financial commitment to Annibal?  I dont think we are or should be that desperate.

I'd prefer a B McCarthy deal at a much lower cost as well. I agree that Sanchez is a big gamble, and unless we are looking to try and win in 2013, I'm OK with letting him sign elsewhere, and we can look to 2014 FAs to solve this issue.

Regarding last year's struggles: so much can change year to year (look at bartolo, garcia, dickey, c.lee, lester, kazmir, zito)...Every year multiple pitchers go from mediocrity to aces and revert from aces to crap.  This is why I feel that regarding pitchers: last years performance isnt necessarily a good indicator of this years results. 

I agree, but looking at the last 3 year numbers of our starters does not look pretty either, except for Lester & Buch... maybe.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Unfortunately, that only seems to work against us, not for us!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is not a feared rotation at all. Period.

Sections
Shortcuts