SI's Verducci WEEI: 'Red flags' on Crawford

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: SI's Verducci WEEI: 'Red flags' on Crawford

Moon,
    I'm not sure that Pedrioa would see moving to the 3 hole as a demotion, in fact it would serve to better protect him and give him more RBI chances...

I meant if Pedey was moved to 5th or 6th. I for one never fell for the Pedey is only good in the 2 slot philosophy. If Papi or Youk is gone next year, I think moving Pedey to the 3 slot make a lot of sense (and AGon to 4th). However, we disagree on who should bat 2nd. I'd prefer Crawford bat 9th in front of Ellsbury, especially vs most LHPs. Again, vs most RHPs, I'd be OK with CC up 2nd, but I still think Scutty or Aviles would be better (with Lowrie vs LHPs).

In effect the same dynamic that existed this year would still be in play...That's hitting with a basestealer on 1st that's capable of scoring from 1st on a double and open the hole on the rightside of the infield with Gonzo behind him...

Frankly after last season Ellsbury now profiles as a very capable 3 hole hitter, but is far to valuable leading off...

I agree, but then again, we could trade or sign for another leadoff type and move Ells to 3rd.

If you're refering to Youkilis being slighted by droping from 4th to 5th well in my mind that is something that is handled by the new skipper sitting with him and explaining that it's in "the best interest of the team". The key to dropping him is having someone hitting in the 6 ans 7 holes to protect him and "lengthen our lineup...Something our current roster doesn't have. 

If Youk is continuing in decline, moving him down to 5th is fine with me, but if he rebounds some, like I expect, I don't see the logic in demoting him to move CC up. Compare CC and Youk's numbers, and it really is no comparison. (I have even mentioned Youk up 2nd. His OBP is always high, even if his BA slips.)

CF Ells
    LF Crawford/Scutaro
    2B Pedrioa
    1B Gonzalez
    3B/DH Youk 
    OF/DH Lefthanded bat (Ortiz?)
    DH/OF Righthanded bat (Cuddyer?)
    C  Salty
    SS Scutaro/Crawford

That said, I doubt you and I will agree on this one, but if we want to lengthen the lineup, take better advatage of Crawfords speed and almost as important is place him in a spot in the lineup where he'll see his share of fastballs and help to jump start his bat (see Delmon Young with the Tigers), then the 2-hole is where he needs to hit...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Why wouldn't batting 9th maximize his speed and also give him more fastballs to see?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Maybe he could bat 10th

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

10th, Left Out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: SI's Verducci WEEI: 'Red flags' on Crawford:
    [QUOTE]Maybe he could bat 10th
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

vs most LHPs he should be on the bench... at $21M/yr!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I really think Crawford will be better next year.    I hope.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

If he's a pull hitter, as per article, then why doesn't it help his power in Fenway?  The short pole and stands are in RF ... He's a LH's hitter, so pull hitting would be to that short RF porch and pole....

That comment in the OP makes absolutely no sense to me.

If the SI guy is that off on basics, I have grave doubts, not about Carl, but Verducci's baseball sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Yaz,
    He's actually more of a gap tp gap hitter...his problem this year was due inpart to trying to do too much with the ball and pull everything trying to generate power...Verducci's opins are just that, his, and frankly there's on the worst kind the hind sight is 20-20 variety...where was this fact finding journalism last December?