Sizemore close to rejoining the indians, way to go sox.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Sizemore close to rejoining the indians, way to go sox.

So apparently grady sizemore is close to signing with the indians and it is believed that he is very close to doing so. this is yet another classic example of the sox missing out on players because they take so damn long to do anything and by the time they do decide to do something all the good players are gone. now i am not saying that losing out on sizemore is a huge deal but he presented the sox with a great buy low opportunity. I dont know what the sox plans are for right field but i guess they are sticking to their desire for a rightfielder who hits from the right side. who that may be is unknown at this point. one guy who stands out in my mind is justin upton from the dbacks. His defence isnt great but he has a good arm and mashes from the right side. My point is that the sox are asleep at the wheel again. papelbon signs, they do nothing, theo compensation delayed, sizemore close to signing, etc. Typical sox management. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

Re: Sizemore close to rejoining the indians, way to go sox.

with all due respect soxpride, i dont really see the potential sizemore signing (or some of the other issues you cited for that matter) as the sox necessarily being asleep at the wheel. first off you probably answered your own question when you pointed out that the preference would be for another righthanded bat for the vacant RF position. it's still relatively early in the process, only a few players have signed so its not as if the league is passing them by, as we speak cherington is exploring a different potential righthanded option for that outfield spot in Yoenis Cespedes. there was also a fair amount of interest in sizemore out there so it may not quite be the "buy low" bargain he initially seemed he may be, guess we will see when the contract terms are reported. but if he is returning to cleveland, then the indians more than likely had the inside track on retaining him at a lower cost than his 2012 option all along. 

i think many of us would love to see upton in boston, but the sox dont appear to match up with them in any reasonable trade scenario i can think of. that team just made the playoffs and view themselves as a team on the rise, not sure they're all that interested in just unloading upton, and even if they are the sox dont have the prospects to make it happen. 

i realize its been a frustrating past month or 2 for us sox fans, but lets not stoop to getting aggravated with every FA that signs elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

fair enough hoffburger, its just frustrating that the sox front office never seems to get things done. we have no manager, no comensation for theo, no closer etc. By now we should have at least found a new manager and figured out the compensation for theo. the sox never should have let theo leave until the two teams had agreed on compensation first. our only hope now is that selig steps in and forces the cubs to give the sox significant compensation. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

yeah he woulda put us over the top............the guy with MRI docs on speed dial.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I liked the idea of Signing Siezmore to a one year deal, just Imagine if was healthy and played for us.  It would be Beltre 2.0 except replace a 3rd Baseman with a RF, the guy can hit and play GG defense.   I do have to admit I'm intrigued by this Yoenis Cespedes kid.

Hoffburger, I do agree that many other teams may be more inclined to bid up Siezmore's price seeking a deal similar to the one we had with Beltre....But in the end just having a guy on your Books for 1 year does still minimize the risk, because the money is coming off the books the following year.  Some risks I'm willing to live with....unless it was something outrageous like 20 million.

It's not a done deal yet right???? still I wonder if our interest of Beltran goes up after this.

I thought we had a good amount of outfield talent in our farm system but it won't be ready till after next year.  The likes of Alex Hassan, Brandon Jacobs, Bryce Brentz have tremendous talent (especially the last two) but are young and raw.  I think Siezmore would have been the perfect plug (granted he stayed healhy. 

Still, we can't rule out Kalish either. 

One last thought, what happens here might be some insight into what type of GM Charrington will do.  He pretty much has 3 options, overpay in FA, Trade away the Farm...or plug up the position within from the farm. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agarbari. Show agarbari's posts

Give management a break, obviously they have no confidence in Cherrington as we see, so all the dcision making is going to be done by Luchino. I believe it was Luchino who peeved off Boras and Teixeira back in 2008 sending him to the Yankees.
    What I hate about this team is that they act like paupers and many times want to get players on the cheap and projects. They could have and should have signed Pappelbon. I did not like that at all. The Red Sox are one of the wealthiest teams in baseball.  Besides Sizemore is another injury prone player who hits left handed.

So I guess we are going or correct me Luchino is going to "Guage the Market" and do it on the cheap this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agarbari. Show agarbari's posts

I hate to say it but I do not think the Red Sox know what the plans are right now with a figurehead GM and a Management Power struggle going on right now. Cherrington should have gone to Chicago with Theo and Luchino should have taken over as GM. 
    Isn't Cherrington the one who traded Renteria for the immortal Andy Marte who was a power hitting cant miss 3rd baseman from the Braves. Well 6 years later Marte is God knows where.

In Response to Sizemore close to rejoining the indians, way to go sox.:
    [QUOTE]So apparently grady sizemore is close to signing with the indians and it is believed that he is very close to doing so. this is yet another classic example of the sox missing out on players because they take so damn long to do anything and by the time they do decide to do something all the good players are gone. now i am not saying that losing out on sizemore is a huge deal but he presented the sox with a great buy low opportunity. I dont know what the sox plans are for right field but i guess they are sticking to their desire for a rightfielder who hits from the right side. who that may be is unknown at this point. one guy who stands out in my mind is justin upton from the dbacks. His defence isnt great but he has a good arm and mashes from the right side. My point is that the sox are asleep at the wheel again. papelbon signs, they do nothing, theo compensation delayed, sizemore close to signing, etc. Typical sox management. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Very silly uninformed posting. Sizemore took himself off the market to deal only with the Indians. Sox were one of 8 teams in on Sizemore, but no one even got to second base with him.....no one even was able to give him a physical before he took himself off of the market.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Glad he re-signed with the Indians.
    It would have been like signing JD Drew, all over again, maybe worse.
    Operations on both knees and his throwing arm. No way!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Wow.  I wasn't aware that Grady was such a must-have.  I thought lefty injury-risks were a little less desirable.  Yeah, sure, in the spirit of low risk/high reward, I would have been happy to go cheap, short and platoon on Sizemore.  But, I doubt that is what Grady would want.  He clearly wants to be an Indian anyway, and I don't think anything short of a lavish offer would steer him elsewhere.  And, I guarentee the same knuckleheads who are ripping the FO for inaction, would be up in arms if we dropped a brinx truck on Grady Sizemore.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

This team needs PITCHING - PITCHING - AND MORE PITCHING.  Hitting is not and will not be a problem for the Sox in Fenway.  When is the last time the Sox put out a punch and judy hitting club?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I really wanted Sizemore too, but I think this is the classy thing for him to do.  He's basically re-writing his option year as contingent on his performance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

somebody missing a drew type on the roster???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Nothing personal, but you are absolutely babbling.

You have absolutely no idea what condition is leg is in, or all his other ailments.  You have no idea when he'll be ready to return full strength.  You have no idea if all his injuries and time away from the game has sapped his talent.

You also don't know what the RS plans are for RF and the other positions.  And whether they plan on spending the $6M or so due to Sizemore on pitching, and going with Kalish.  Or Beltran for that matter.  Or the Cuban guy.  Or Cuddyer.

The only thing you know is that Sizemore was a real good player once upon a time.  You probably don't know when he last played over 106 games.

Just for funnsies, without looking, tell us what you think his OPS was last year, without looking.

Just post it, and then check, and then we can discuss it further.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poster71. Show poster71's posts

I shudder to think how they will survive without his .220 average, 10 HRs and 45 RBI the last 2 years combined.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Another terrible post to feed the naysayers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Sizemore close to rejoining the indians, way to go sox.:
    [QUOTE]I shudder to think how they will survive without his .220 average, 10 HRs and 45 RBI the last 2 years combined.
    Posted by poster71[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  Good non move by the Sox. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Sox didn't need an injury prone has been. In addition he hits LH.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

86redsox says it all, Can You Say DL?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]So apparently grady sizemore is close to signing with the indians and it is believed that he is very close to doing so. this is yet another classic example of the sox missing out on players because they take so damn long to do anything and by the time they do decide to do something all the good players are gone. now i am not saying that losing out on sizemore is a huge deal but he presented the sox with a great buy low opportunity. I dont know what the sox plans are for right field but i guess they are sticking to their desire for a rightfielder who hits from the right side. who that may be is unknown at this point. one guy who stands out in my mind is justin upton from the dbacks. His defence isnt great but he has a good arm and mashes from the right side. My point is that the sox are asleep at the wheel again. papelbon signs, they do nothing, theo compensation delayed, sizemore close to signing, etc. Typical sox management. 

So...the once near-elite, recently injured Sizemore's contract is up.....nearly 30 too, right?  His market value is obviously at a minimum.

It appears that he's chosen to stay with his current team....an org he's been part of for years....he may have put roots down, may rate their medical team...I couldn't comment with conviction, I'm just some internet yahoo with an opinion.]

You, however, know that "this is yet another classic example of the sox missing out on players because they take so damn long to do anything and by the time they do decide to do something all the good players are gone."

So the Indians had no chance to keep him, and the Sox failed more than the other 28 teams to get him.

Or you're lacking in cognitive skills?

What's your guess?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Eh, no biggie. We can do without him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

RedSoxPride the OP got TOTALLY OWNED in his own thread. Good news is you can still get a custom Sox jersey with Sizemore on the back and live out that fantasy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Sizemore close to rejoining the indians, way to go sox.:
    [QUOTE]Wow.  I wasn't aware that Grady was such a must-have.  I thought lefty injury-risks were a little less desirable.  Yeah, sure, in the spirit of low risk/high reward, I would have been happy to go cheap, short and platoon on Sizemore.  But, I doubt that is what Grady would want.  He clearly wants to be an Indian anyway, and I don't think anything short of a lavish offer would steer him elsewhere.  And, I guarentee the same knuckleheads who are ripping the FO for inaction, would be up in arms if we dropped a brinx truck on Grady Sizemore.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    There you go making sense again. What is to be done with you?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Are you totally out of touch with reality as well is uninformed. First you missed the fact that Sizemore opted to stay with Cleveland and what on earth do the Red Sox need another left handed bat in the lineup for, especially a player who is seriously injury prone only playing 210 games in the last three year and only 104 in the last two. If fans complain about Drew this guy would be even worse based on his pathetic record the last three years.

He has hit .211 & .224 with OBPs of .271 & .285 the last two years. For any price he's a waste of money. Nothing against Sizemore and personally it would be nice to see him return to form of his early years but the RS don't need a reclamation project on their roster. They've already got enough issues to deal with, starting pitching, rebuilding the bullpen, etc.

Hetchinspete.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yeah, whata re the Sox doing?!?!

There have been like, what, four free agent signings already?!?! That's like half of them!!

Hint for the impatient types - the pending CBA has been holding a lot of teams back.  Also, that is in place now, but most teams want to see who is offered arbitration, etc.

This does affect guys like Sizemore, who is really just going back to his last team if he signs.  Guys like Sizemore might be Plan B for a team waiting to see if, say, Josh Willingham is offered arbitration...