Sizemore contacted by Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Sizemore contacted by Sox

According to a tweet by Michael Silverman the Boston Heralds Sox beat writer. what does the actual possibility of Sizemore signing mean in terms of the 2012 Sox??????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Sizemore contacted by Sox

It means that Reddick will most likely be traded.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It means we have more room on the DL...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It means Jacoby is all but gone...

...just kidding.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonSwanson. Show RonSwanson's posts

In Response to Re: Sizemore contacted by Sox:
    [QUOTE]It means we have more room on the DL...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that actually make the DL a little more crowded?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

It means, I'm going to throw up.
    Cherington must be combing the morgues for his next signee.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]It means, I'm going to throw up. Cherington must be combing the morgues for his next signee.
    Posted by GhostofTito[/QUOTE]

Don't panic Ghost. If it were me, I'd get Sizemore PLUS somebody else, Beltran or etc. Sizemore would make a really nice backup plan to take a chance on. If he revives, play him more and make use of it. If not, you haven't lost much. I'd like this move IF theres another frontline guy like Beltran in front of him. Using both might also keep both more healthy. But who knows, we will see how it pans out, it may come to nothing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, let's blow half the budget money on 2 OF'ers and just leave the 4 and 5 slots to Tazawa and Doubront.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I thought signing Baldelli after TB released him was a good gamble.  How did that work out?  I say forget Sizemore, and forget Beltran unless he is going to accept a massive cut in pay, like half of what he earned last season.  RF is not the biggest concern, pitching is.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Nice, buying low on Sizemore would make sense. Offer 2 years and the 5.75 million that Varitek and Wastefield stole in 2011. Need as many Lefty OFers as possible.....................

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

looking at the free agent market for outfielders, taking a shot on sizemore seems like a good gamble. I would not go anywhere near beltran, cuddyer, willingham etc. Sizemore could end up being a huge pick up if he is able to stay healthy. he showed last season that he still has it and is a 30 homer run outfielder when healthy. Even if he doesnt perform or gets hurt we will still have guys like kalish or reddick to step in. What we need to focus on is pitching. If we beef up the starting rotation then we will be fine. I would talk to oakland if i was the sox gm and go after either gio gonzalez or trevor cahill. Either one would be a great pick up. Obviously we all want felix hernandez but i dont think the mariners will trade him despite the fact that they will not be contending for years. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If Sizemore and Beltran are willing to submit to extensive physical exams and meet the criteria of Sox medical people I would sign them both. These are two former all star calibre guys who can put up good numbers. 
    Either DH Size and Youk ---saving both added wear and tear or play the heck out of them and DH Beltran.
    This gives you some good added flexibility in the lineup 1-9.
    Moon and BoSox you both made great points---Having Sizemore and seeing him get healthy may allow more flexibility with trade options.
    1. Reddick can be dealt.
    2. Youk could be dealt.
    3. Ells could be dealt.
    4. You're talking about trading for Cahill or Gonzalez--Beane is not letting those guys go for a song.
    5. Tazawa and Doubrount--those guys aren't the worst options for #4 and #5. A's fans may have thought the same when the two guys in #4 were brought up to start. I think it sends a great message to the younger pitchers in the Sox system.

Lineup:
    Sizemore
    Pedroia
    Ells
    Agon
    Beltran
    Crawford
    Youk/Aviles
    Salty/Lavarnway
    Scutaro/Lowrie

That's not a bad lineup. Much more versatile than with Papi but not the power numbers with Papi--but all good things have to come to an end sometime.

We can address pitching later but suffice to say:
    Lester,Beckett, Buch, Tazawa and Doubrount plus three more as options.
    Pen:
    Bard, Aceves, Morales, Albers and four more options.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Sizemore and Beltran will not pass Sox physicals if it gets to that point. They will also be pretty much uninsurable contracts, so the Sox offer will be reflective of both points. I would assume some teams will be more desperate than the Sox and both players will take the high offers. Not a fan of Cuddyer. I think 60 percent of Beltran or Sizemore is still a defensive upgrade over Cuddyer. I also agree that if Papi is signed, the push should be pitching, here is enough offense. I think a Reddick comp could be David Murphy, a very good 3/4 OF. Acceptable defense, good arm, good base runner. 20 HR power. No plus area's, but solid. Not as high on Kalish, feel his comp is Nate McClouth. Good 4th OF.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

It will not make much difference if Boston sign him or not.  If Boston stays pact for RF position, Boston will eventually have a left handed hitter RF anyway.  Sizemore is already better player than Kalish or Reddick, but he is an often injure proned player.  Good thing Boston have a back up OF to back him up.  So having him on the team isnt going to hurt at all.  IF he is often injure 3B, and Boston trade Youkilis, then I would say it is a bad signing. 

But, why can Boston get right handed hittng OF and let him play LF, and move Crawford at RF.  I think Boston just need a good #4 or #5 right handed hitter.  That is all they need!!!  Youkilis is not a top five hitter.  He is a #6 hitter!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

[QUOTE]Sizemore and Beltran will not pass Sox physicals if it gets to that point. They will also be pretty much uninsurable contracts, so the Sox offer will be reflective of both points. I would assume some teams will be more desperate than the Sox and both players will take the high offers. Not a fan of Cuddyer. I think 60 percent of Beltran or Sizemore is still a defensive upgrade over Cuddyer. I also agree that if Papi is signed, the push should be pitching, here is enough offense. I think a Reddick comp could be David Murphy, a very good 3/4 OF. Acceptable defense, good arm, good base runner. 20 HR power. No plus area's, but solid. Not as high on Kalish, feel his comp is Nate McClouth. Good 4th OF.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]Why are you not as high on Kalish? Not saying you are right or wrong but you are the first person i have ever heard say this. I cant even remember what Kalish looks like so unless you live in Paw and go to lots of games i dont understand why you feel that way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Crawford has a weak arm for RF, as does Jake.  You need guys who can toss the ball from the fence to 3rd.   

We need a RH power bat that actually plays in games.  Somebody to protect Agon.  I am not sure there is anybody out there who fits that description unless a trade is made.   So we might as well focus on pitching.   We need a 3rd/4rth starter.   Plenty of garbage available on the team for the 5th spot ... maybe even DiceK by the break.   Sox should spend the coin or trade to get a reliable #3 starter.  Soembody who won't break a hip bending down to get the rosin bag. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have seen Kalish play in AA about 20 times, and in AAA about 20 times. Prob also have seen him in Boston about 10 times. I have also been down to spring traing 4 of the past 5 years. So I have seen him quite a bit. I have also had the opportunity to speak with various scouts, media people and ex players in the media and the Kalish opinions vary from potential all star to AAAA player. Kalish measurables are average across the board. He does not have one tool that jumps out. Slightly above average defender, arm and speed. No where near the athlete that Ellsbury is. Needs another 500 at bats to make further improvements offensively. Red Sox offense can handle Reddick or Kalish in the 7/8/9 hole. But if you are looking for minor league offensive outfield help for a top tier team like the Sox, I think you need to wait on Jacobs or Boegarts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

To me, Sizemore make no sense. Unless this is the first part of a multiple part move Ben is making in which Sizemore is subsequently moved to another team. Guys, we know he is damaged goods, bats left handed, has lost his speed, etc. How does his becoming a Red Sox really add value?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Signing Sizemore is of course a gamble, but isn't everything and everyone a gamble? But if healthy he is very good, but then everything hangs on his being healthy. Just because he has had injuries does not mean that he will never be healthy, and if he can play and stay healthy he will help.  Signing him does not mean our entire season rely's on his being healthy and playing every day, he will just be asked to contribute, not be the main piece of the pizzle.

Also Kalish is going to be ready to help this year and he is a very good young talent. Remember two years ago he was just 21 and played very good for the Sox. His talent has left, he just had a year filled with injuries. People seems to forget that he was[is] a very talented player who is going to be a solid Major League player for quite a while. It seems people have a short memory when it comes to Kalish, and a long memory when it comes to Sizemore.

I say sign Sizemore, let him prove to be healthy, and if he is not anywhere the player he once was, then the Sox will see that, and not much will be lost, It will not take much to sugn him as he realizes that he must prove to baseball people that he is and can stay healthy. And with Kalish we have a very good young talent.  As for Reddick while he came up and played well for two months, what we saw the last month or two of the season I believe was the real Reddick. He is a fourth outfielder at best.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Right now free agent suck this year for OF position anyway especially for to find someone can have the ability to play at Fenway Park RF!!

Cuddlyer and Willingham is a nice fit for the offense line up, but they do not have the skill to play RF at Fenway Park.  But I do not think Boston will have a good chance to get Cuddlyer anyway cuz Cuddlyer right now is finding alot of teams that are interested him.  Meaning Cuddlyer is more likely to get a good deal.  

Crawford may have the speed to cover the RF at Fenway Park, but he just do not have the arm.  That was why I say, get Willingham, and play him at LF while Crawford at RF.  If you all wanted a right hitting bat in the line up.  

Sizemore have all the tools to play RF at Fenway park, but he is an often injure proned player at the same time he is a lefty!!!

Kalish was a great player in 2010, and was on the way to be the 4th OF for Boston during the 2011 season until he was lost for most of the season.

Reddick struggled sometime at RF this year especially in the last 4 weeks of the season.  I just do not think he is a skilled RF defender.  He is more a better fit CF.  Also he is more likely to be trade.  

Reason Boston contacted Sizemore to see what he want.  Say he wanted two to three years contract, forget him.  But if he can take a deal like Beltre did it with Boston two years ago, then sign him for one year plus maybe a second year option.  

Then I do see that the free agent for 2013 is a good one where Either, Josh Hamilton, BJ Upton, Delomon Young, Carlos Quinten, etc.  Since Either have been talking about Boston alot cuz his best friend is Dustin Pedroria.  

So if Boston is smart, sign Sizemore an one year contract and platoon with Kalish.  If both are unable to do their jobs, then Boston can go after Either. Either could be more likely to be trade during the trading deadline.  

Really Boston have alot of option on how to fix RF.  So that is not Boston's main concern right now. 

Main concern is pitchings!  Get couple starting pitchers...doesnt matter how...once they do it, then work around the offense/defense line up!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, let's blow half the budget money on 2 OF'ers and just leave the 4 and 5 slots to Tazawa and Doubront.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

To each his own, moon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

just what the sox need another lefthanded hitting outfielder that is always hurt, we just got rid of Drew we dont need Sizemore

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Anybody who categorizes Sizemore as an underachiever has simply never seen the man play.

I know I've been beating this drum, but all of the hot-stove talk right now is about out-fielders.  Sizemore, Cepedes, Beltran - with Reddick & Kalish in the wings, they might be part of a trade, but that seems like a short-sighted strategy (we're going to need some cost-controlled players going forward) and Ellsbury is the only guy who can bring back impact pitching on his own.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]It means the Red Sox don't want J D Drew anymore, but they want someone else just like him - an underachiever who's hurt all the time.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

Boston is not really going to find someone who is like Drew and get hurt all the times.  Really Boston wanted somene that can play defensively like Drew at RF.  I would take Drew as a defense Right Fielder over anyone on Boston roster or any available free agents, but I would not want him in the offense line up!!

That is the problem for Boston right now cuz I cant think of one player other than injure proned Sizemore that can bat and play defensively at RF.  Just to play safe, hope Kalish can do his job!!!  Save money to buy pitchings!!!  

Still Boston need a good hitting right handed batter in the line up.  Youkilis isnt the answer at the #4 spot!!  That is the biggest problem, Cuddyer isnt coming to Boston to just bat DH 60% of the time.  Or Pujols isnt coming to Boston to bat DH full time.  

Right hitting batter via free agency suck for Boston!!!  

Best way is to make a trade!!

Sections
Shortcuts