Slew of #5 starters continue to keep team "in the game".

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Slew of #5 starters continue to keep team "in the game".

Can't ask for anything more than what Miller, Lackey, and Wakefield are giving us... at least that is what I am told. They keep the team in the game, so long as the offense score 7 runs or more, and the shaky bullpen holds up.

That is not a lot to ask is it? I mean why shouldn't our offense score 7+ per game? Why shouldn't our middle relief corps (normally pitchers of varying degrees of ability) keep the line held?

I am tired of being lectured by the same 4 posters who think that the rest of us are too dumb to understand that Wakefield is "valuable".

Anyone who thinks any of these 3 starters will ever do more than pitch a good game here or there is nutty. They will continue to get drilled 3 out of every 4 starts. That is not enough when 2 of the other 3 starters are hurt, and none of those 3 can go more than 6 innings. 

To close, its a good thing the #7 starter Varitek is so wonderful, where would we be without him?  I can tell you: We would be exactly where we are, his defensive contributions are entirely minimized by a staff that for the most part is not all that good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Slew of #5 starters continue to keep team "in the game".

Yet another whiner thread...from the queen of the whiners.

Wake began the season in the pen/6th starter.
    Miller was in AAA.
    Lackey went down with elbow inflammation.

What is the RedSox record when these pitchers start?
    What were UR expectations from these three coming into the season?

Too dumb is right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Welcome to the team of 5"s. Where no pitcher is allowed to pitch more than 5 innings, where we carry three #5's on the starting staff and those three give up a minimum of 5 runs per start. 5, 5, 5, 5.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

In Response to Re: Slew of #5 starters continue to keep team "in the game".:
    [QUOTE]Welcome to the team of 5"s. Where no pitcher is allowed to pitch more than 5 innings, where we carry three #5's on the starting staff and those three give up a minimum of 5 runs per start. 5, 5, 5, 5.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

So losing Buchholz, Bedard, Daisake and now Beckett makes it what "easy" to manage a team with a bunch of journeymen and AAA pitchers?  Seriously why start a thread like this?  Could any team reasonably be expected to win most games with pitching like this?  What is your solution?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Even when healthy the starters are routinely pulled early, and our pen over-used. I fail how to see where the recent injuries of Beckett and Bedard have anything to do with the year long dismal performance of the other 3.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The hope is one of the "Fivers" gets his act together. They all have done better at some point this year. Nobody is saying 5 ERs in 5 IP is acceptable. What we are saying is that some of you guys are singling out Wake as the guy that needs to go, before you know you have someone better to take his place. Let's hope Weiland and/or Douby pitch better. Right now is not the time to be limiting our choices for choosing a starter from, neither was it in April.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]The hope is one of the "Fivers" gets his act together. They all have done better at some point this year. Nobody is saying 5 ERs in 5 IP is acceptable. What we are saying is that some of you guys are singling out Wake as the guy that needs to go, before you know you have someone better to take his place. Let's hope Weiland and/or Douby pitch better. Right now is not the time to be limiting our choices for choosing a starter from, neither was it in April.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results....maybe Aceves should start???? too valuable in the pen??? whats more valuable than a decent starting pitcher?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Aceves has not had good numbers as a starter. I guess at this point, trying him is not as bas an option as I once believed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

We have debated the Aceves thing endlessly, and so have the sportswriters.  Most agree his best use is middle reliever in those games the Sox can win, and I agree with that.  But, even with Aceves starting, there are still plenty of holes in the starting pitching and one big hole (no Aceves) in the bullpen. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Our pen would be screwed without Aceves. Has we have seen he is used on all occasions, even when it isn't necessary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-------YAZZER. Show the-------YAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]The hope is one of the "Fivers" gets his act together. They all have done better at some point this year. Nobody is saying 5 ERs in 5 IP is acceptable. What we are saying is that some of you guys are singling out Wake as the guy that needs to go, before you know you have someone better to take his place. Let's hope Weiland and/or Douby pitch better. Right now is not the time to be limiting our choices for choosing a starter from, neither was it in April.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

hey moon,

it's yes men like yourself that actually make me want the SOX not to make the playoffs.
    why don't you become a yankee fan; i'm sure they need a mr peabody type like you on their message board.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Since when Boston have been scoring 7 plus runs a game??  They only have done it three times in past 8 games.  Result, they won two out of these three games except they blew it on the other nite against the BlueJays.

Do not forget that the bullpen are wearing themselves out.  That is they Tito is now trying to save their arms for the post season.  But the bad news is that 3/5th of the starters are not going further than 6 innings.  

Seriously, Tito is trying his best to win games at the same time he is trying to get everyone healthy for the post season!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

We know that is what Tito is doing, and I disagree entirely.  ALL cylinders now not later.  Play to win every game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-------YAZZER. Show the-------YAZZER's posts

[QUOTE]Since when Boston have been scoring 7 plus runs a game??  They only have done it three times in past 8 games.  Result, they won two out of these three games except they blew it on the other nite against the BlueJays. Do not forget that the bullpen are wearing themselves out.  That is they Tito is now trying to save their arms for the post season.  But the bad news is that 3/5th of the starters are not going further than 6 innings.   Seriously, Tito is trying his best to win games at the same time he is trying to get everyone healthy for the post season!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

as a field manager, terry 'coma trying his best would be equal to earl weaver
    trying his worst.
    'coma's a terryble field manager and hopefully this will be his last year in boston.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I agree Burrito.  Winning every game possible is THE MOST important thing right now.  Buchholz can clearly pitch if he wants to so they should get him on the mound RIGHT NOW.  Who cares if he ends up missing the entire 2012 season.  All that matters now is doing everything possible to beat the Yankees.

Same for Beckett and Bedard.  I want them pitching every 4 days right now - - who cares if they are available for the post-season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Miller, Wakefield shouldn't be #5 starters on many AAA teams.

I still believe in Lackey, why?... I am not entirely sure.

Except that everyone must believe in something. Wakefield makes me sick and Miller makes me want to vomit....so I pick Lackey by process of elimination.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

#5 starters, by definition, should be in the bottom 20% of the league.  It's unfortunate that we're throwing three of them out there every 5 days, but it shouldn't be horrifying that they are giving up 5 runs each time.

Wakefield has been the best of a bad lot, but Lackey has seen better results - before his last start against Texas, you have to go back to August 1 to find another 5+ run outing.

Miller is a work in progress - we always knew that, but he's still young and was once the best prospect in baseball.  That's the same model that paid off with Salty - I'd like to give it more time to see if it pays off with Miller.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Starting 5 (when Beckett & Bedard return): Lester, Beckett, Bedard, Aceves, Weiland.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]#5 starters, by definition, should be in the bottom 20% of the league.  It's unfortunate that we're throwing three of them out there every 5 days, but it shouldn't be horrifying that they are giving up 5 runs each time. Wakefield has been the best of a bad lot, but Lackey has seen better results - before his last start against Texas, you have to go back to August 1 to find another 5+ run outing. Miller is a work in progress - we always knew that, but he's still young and was once the best prospect in baseball.  That's the same model that paid off with Salty - I'd like to give it more time to see if it pays off with Miller.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I agree about Miller..he reminds me of Materson a bit...give him time...he is worth the investment...I would start Aceves over Wake at this point but he is not the issue - the guy is trying his best - it just aint good enough sadly...

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]I thought the objective in the Red Sox org, at least, is to field a legot playoff/WS contender, not to develop guys like Miller or "give them time."
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

To be successful year in and year out, they have to do both.  Does Miller look that much worse than Pedroia, Buchholz or Lester early in their Sox careers?  Miller likely won't see any action in the post-season, but I'd like to see him back next year, along with Bedard.  A rotation of Beckett, Lester, Bedard, Buchholz & Lackey with Miller in spot duty and long relief would work for me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]I agree Burrito.  Winning every game possible is THE MOST important thing right now.  Buchholz can clearly pitch if he wants to so they should get him on the mound RIGHT NOW.  Who cares if he ends up missing the entire 2012 season.  All that matters now is doing everything possible to beat the Yankees. Same for Beckett and Bedard.  I want them pitching every 4 days right now - - who cares if they are available for the post-season.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

"Buchholz can clearly pitch if he wants to so they should get him on the mound RIGHT NOW"  Based on what evidence?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Slew of #5 starters continue to keep team "in the game". : "Buchholz can clearly pitch if he wants to so they should get him on the mound RIGHT NOW"   Based on what evidence?
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

ummm maybe the 5 month sabbattical they gave dice K in 2009 for no specific injury...it was obvious they were just biding their time with him until late season and didnt care because they had Wake starting....clay is being saved until the playoffs... i make the prediction he is on the playoff roster

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Burrito T is on point but I would extend it to 4,5 starters. Without Buch its 3,4,5 starters. Without Beckett it's 2,3,4,5 starters. Lackey is simply terrible, awful and a joke. I don't want to get into the argument of "give Miller more years to get good" because face it- you don't know that. Some develop (Ian Kennedy, Masterson) some don't (Brian Rose, Dice K, AJ Burnett). However, he is awful now.
    It's hard not to sound like a whiner with injuries but put Sabathia and Colon on DL for Yanks and see how they do.
    I just wasted 5 minutes of my life and yours with this stupid post.

Sections
Shortcuts