Slightly off topic...but The National Anthem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Slightly off topic...but The National Anthem

I know this is slightly off topic but I figured I'd toss this question out to the forum. I enjoy watching soccer and often try to catch some of the Premier League games. I've been watching a little more here and there with the start of the World Cup ( hopefully my enjoyment of Soccer does not get my BDC Sox forum card revoked!).

One cannot help but notice that many other countries sing along with their National Anthems..loudly, proudly, and passionately. In fact in Brazil's opening match, the team continued on with a second verse even after the music stopped.

So..my question is this. Why, in America, do we sit back so passively when our Anthem is being sung. It is only on the rarest of occasions ( games after a tragedy such as 911 or the Boston Bombings). I remember the Bruins game shortly after the Marathon Bombings where everyone in the Garden sang out loudly. We don't do that as a rule though..and I guess I am just wondering why?

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Slightly off topic...but The National Anthem

Do you really want to start a political discussion?

OK........

Americans are hypocrites. They are fine with singing a song that talks about war, death and destruction......they honor the veterans (for invading nations and killing innocent people - keeping in mind that they were not drafted but VOLUNTEERED and that they GET PAID for doing it) but God forbid anyone exercise their right of personal defense merely by carrying a concealed handgun they want to string them up. Or what about when I refuse to stand up - people want to kill me.  Don't I have a right to NOT participate in something I don't believe in?  "Follow us OR risk personal injury!"

It's also not OK to speak up against the government even though the nation was founded on pointing weapons directly at the heads of the government.  Why would anyone honor a nation?  Do you think they really care about you?  Shut up and pay your taxes and they will leave you alone.  Disobey in any way shape or form and they take away all of your assets and throw you in jail - or worse.  Why would anyone worship a political entity?  It's more acceptable to worship a political entity today than to worship God.  This definitely has many fascist themes.  Makes me sick.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK........

Americans are hypocrites. They are fine with singing a song that talks about war, death and destruction......they honor the veterans (for invading nations and killing innocent people - keeping in mind that they were not drafted but VOLUNTEERED and that they GET PAID for doing it) but God forbid anyone exercise their right of personal defense merely by carrying a concealed handgun they want to string them up. Or what about when I refuse to stand up - people want to kill me.  Don't I have a right to NOT participate in something I don't believe in?  "Follow us OR risk personal injury!"

It's also not OK to speak up against the government even though the nation was founded on pointing weapons directly at the heads of the government.  Why would anyone honor a nation?  Do you think they really care about you?  Shut up and pay your taxes and they will leave you alone.  Disobey in any way shape or form and they take away all of your assets and throw you in jail - or worse.  Why would anyone worship a political entity?  It's more acceptable to worship a political entity today than to worship God.  This definitely has many fascist themes.  Makes me sick.

[/QUOTE]

Yikes..Andrew..I was hoping to keep politics out of it. I was really just wondering what..at ballparks and sports events...stops people from singing along with the National Anthem.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK........

[/QUOTE]

Yikes..Andrew..I was hoping to keep politics out of it. I was really just wondering what..at ballparks and sports events...stops people from singing along with the National Anthem.

[/QUOTE]

well, at least you know why you'll never see me standing, removing my hat, and signing it......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

So..my question is this. Why, in America, do we sit back so passively when our Anthem is being sung.

IDK maybe part of it is as simple as the difficulty of the song

seems to me more people join in on 'america the beautiful'

political talk > soccer talk ;-)

andrew = hater

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So..my question is this. Why, in America, do we sit back so passively when our Anthem is being sung.

IDK maybe part of it is as simple as the difficulty of the song

seems to me more people join in on 'america the beautiful'

political talk > soccer talk ;-)

andrew = hater

[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the premise of the OP. First, let's see how Americans are during the National Anthem on Monday. I would guess that there's a bit more passion than normal. You see it at Olympics and other special situations.

But just add up all the MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL, college, high school games and other sporting events where the National Anthem is being played. It's unfair to expect fans to show that sort of passion every time. 

But Americans always rise to the occasion at the right moments.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

One thing I like about the NATIONAL ANTHEM is that there's no mention of god in it. As far as why people don't sing along to it, probably the same reason people shouldn't sing at Karaoke bars, because most of us can't sing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing I like about the NATIONAL ANTHEM is that there's no mention of god in it. As far as why people don't sing along to it, probably the same reason people shouldn't sing at Karaoke bars, because most of us can't sing.

[/QUOTE]

I think that's probably true, accompanied by the fact that it's an almost impossible song to sing (well).  

And in a slightly related topic:

I think we take our country and freedoms too much for granted.  Day in, day out, it's something we've become accustomed to.  Prior to Sept. 11, 2001 people standing for the Anthem at sporting events was very much "business as usual" and no one really gave it much thought.  However, after that date and for several years afterward there was a resolve in the air every time the Anthem was played.  Chests puffed out a little more.  Jaws were a little more set.  People were proud to stand up and be counted.  Unfortunately now it's becoming blase again as we once again sink back into complacency.  

HOWEVER, if there's one thing we learned from the Patriot's Day bombings it's that while we do all go our separate ways and lead our separate lives, we can and will band together when we need to.  To paraphrase what Adam Sandler said after the bombings, "Boston is the only city in the world where if you **** with them they will shut the whole city down until they find you."  And for that we as either Bostonians or Red Sox fans should be proud.

I understand that there will be those who disagree with this but on that topic I take a firm stand. We should be proud.   

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Bottom line: People change , disrupt and often risk their lives to come here , legally or illegally. Anyone who does not like it here is free to leave, with no restrictions. All politics aside, that should tell you all you need to know.  

Stabbed by Foulke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

I know this is slightly off topic but I figured I'd toss this question out to the forum. I enjoy watching soccer and often try to catch some of the Premier League games. I've been watching a little more here and there with the start of the World Cup ( hopefully my enjoyment of Soccer does not get my BDC Sox forum card revoked!).

One cannot help but notice that many other countries sing along with their National Anthems..loudly, proudly, and passionately. In fact in Brazil's opening match, the team continued on with a second verse even after the music stopped.

So..my question is this. Why, in America, do we sit back so passively when our Anthem is being sung. It is only on the rarest of occasions ( games after a tragedy such as 911 or the Boston Bombings). I remember the Bruins game shortly after the Marathon Bombings where everyone in the Garden sang out loudly. We don't do that as a rule though..and I guess I am just wondering why?

[/QUOTE]

When I was a kid we sang at fenway.  My dad, who fought for our freedoms in WWll, would always take his cap off.  Even though the song can be a little tough to sing people would belt it out.

It really is sad no one sings it anymore.  I think people stopped singing it because they always have a featured singer on the field now.

At first we would sing along with the soloist but I think people thought it was rude to sing over him/her.  Perhaps fans feel we are supposed to listen rather than join in.  I will sometimes but very quietly.

I once said to my husband I miss singing along but he said he enjoyed listening to the person singing.  I guess some fans rather be entertained than sing the song.

For the most part there isn't a featured singer on the field for God Bless America so people feel the freedom to sing.

Just my 2 cents.

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Bottom line: People change , disrupt and often risk their lives to come here , legally or illegally. Anyone who does not like it here is free to leave, with no restrictions. All politics aside, that should tell you all you need to know.  

Stabbed by Foulke.

actually, you aren't COMPLETELY free just to leave.  you still have to certain conveyance taxes when leaving plus the IRS will continue to collect income taxes from you for 5 years after you leave.  if you were really free to leave there would not be any strings attached.  strings = a reduction in freedom.  there is no such thing as partial freedom.  therefore, you not free to leave at all.  but they LOVE you and only want what's best you........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

actually, you aren't COMPLETELY free just to leave.  you still have to certain conveyance taxes when leaving plus the IRS will continue to collect income taxes from you for 5 years after you leave.  if you were really free to leave there would not be any strings attached.  strings = a reduction in freedom.  there is no such thing as partial freedom.  therefore, you not free to leave at all.  but they LOVE you and only want what's best you........

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]. If you love being a contrarian, you are free to be that. If you want to leave, you are free to do that. If you love to complain, you are free to do that. Whatever you want. However, that is not the case in every other country on this planet. There is no system that is ever going to be utopia. There is never going to be a system that pleases everyone. There are few , if any,  better than ours.  I'm guessing that you are going to never be satisfied , but also never , ever leave. That includes being an American citizen and even being a Red Sox fan. I think that your enjoyment comes from never being happy. Nothing wrong with that. Good luck. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Simple:  because it's massively overplayed.  In most countries the teams's national anthems are only played at international events, not slavishly played every day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]. If you love being a contrarian, you are free to be that. If you want to leave, you are free to do that. If you love to complain, you are free to do that. Whatever you want. However, that is not the case in every other country on this planet. There is no system that is ever going to be utopia. There is never going to be a system that pleases everyone. There are few , if any,  better than ours.  I'm guessing that you are going to never be satisfied , but also never , ever leave. That includes being an American citizen and even being a Red Sox fan. I think that your enjoyment comes from never being happy. Nothing wrong with that. Good luck. 

[/QUOTE]

dude it's a fact.  you can not leave this country scott-free.  you made the claim that one is free to leave.  i told you that you are wrong.  and then you go off on some "love it or leave it" speech and passing judgement? 

if you want to keep believing the government loves you then i will advise to you close your eyes and to keep the dream alive.......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

dude it's a fact.  you can not leave this country scott-free.  you made the claim that one is free to leave.  i told you that you are wrong.  and then you go off on some "love it or leave it" speech and passing judgement? 

if you want to keep believing the government loves you then i will advise to you close your eyes and to keep the dream alive.......

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]  I never said the government loves me. And I do not love the government either. But nobody is stopping anyone from leaving, even if you have to pay a fee. The fact is, few want to leave and many want to come here. Not true of many other places on this earth. Why not be thankful for being here, of all places you might be. Like I said, you seem to revel in discontent. Be it your country or your baseball team. Life is good Andrew. And it is short. Have fun. Enjoy it.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Actually, there is. See the fourth verse. It's where the motto "In God We Trust" came from Bogie. Most people don't know the song has four verses.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

When I was a kid we sang at fenway.  My dad, who fought for our freedoms in WWll, would always take his cap off.  Even though the song can be a little tough to sing people would belt it out.

It really is sad no one sings it anymore.  I think people stopped singing it because they always have a featured singer on the field now.

At first we would sing along with the soloist but I think people thought it was rude to sing over him/her.  Perhaps fans feel we are supposed to listen rather than join in.  I will sometimes but very quietly.

I once said to my husband I miss singing along but he said he enjoyed listening to the person singing.  I guess some fans rather be entertained than sing the song.

For the most part there isn't a featured singer on the field for God Bless America so people feel the freedom to sing.

Just my 2 cents.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Agree; unfortunately, it appears the singers for the most part view it as a gig to strut their stuff, which is rather annoying;one of the few times this impressed me was when Whitney Houston did it, may she RIP.

Another time was at my daughter's recent commencement; it was done so well, and by a student, without ego, that I was close to tears. It still rings in my head

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

OK........

[/QUOTE]

Well.......   that about sums it up.  I'm sure everyone will agree with this very sane and sober analysis.

Ahhhh.   Yeh......       ;)

Not much I could ever add to help an opposing viewpoint here.   Thanks Andrewmitch!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The National Anthem is a tradition at pretty much all sporting events with a PA system. When I'm at a HS/College sporting event that doesn't honor America (which is the point), it feels wrong. If it's because you don't have a proper sound or electricity at the fields, then I can understand and then it's assumed no anthem. But you got the PA, you do it. It's an American tradition and it keeps things in perspective. Hate your opponent, hate your life, hate your dog, wife, the government, whatever....respect the Flag, respect that our Forefathers and our Military going back to Valley Forge put their lives on the line for our Nation. You don't like living here, leave. There seems to be hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens who can't wait to enter the USA, and for good reason. As for bitter Americans who hate the "system," form a militia or go to KFC with an AK 47. If you don't want to stand up and remove your hat during the Anthem, then don't...be disrespectful if you like, that is your choice. I will give you a dirty look, however, and I'll think you are a jerk. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The National Anthem is a tradition at pretty much all sporting events with a PA system. When I'm at a HS/College sporting event that doesn't honor America (which is the point), it feels wrong. If it's because you don't have a proper sound or electricity at the fields, then I can understand and then it's assumed no anthem. But you got the PA, you do it. It's an American tradition and it keeps things in perspective. Hate your opponent, hate your life, hate your dog, wife, the government, whatever....respect the Flag, respect that our Forefathers and our Military going back to Valley Forge put their lives on the line for our Nation. You don't like living here, leave. There seems to be hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens who can't wait to enter the USA, and for good reason. As for bitter Americans who hate the "system," form a militia or go to KFC with an AK 47. If you don't want to stand up and remove your hat during the Anthem, then don't...be disrespectful if you like, that is your choice. I will give you a dirty look, however, and I'll think you are a jerk. 

[/QUOTE]

Good post.

Respecting the National Anthem has nothing to do with approving what gov't is doing or not doing. It's about respecting the values that this country is based on and what we strive for. It's about freedom can't be taken for granted and that sometimes you must be willing to fight for.

Yes, this country from the get-go has had flaws and has done things over the course of history that are embarrassing to say the least. What country hasn't. But we don't hide or try to wipe these moments away from our history. We fight to right these wrongs and do better in the future. Yes, in the process, we'll do other things that might seem right at the moment but in looking back turned out to be the wrong thing. That's what happens when you put human beings in  power. In any system in an ever-more complicated world, they're not always going to do the right thing.

I've been to a lot of high school events over the years for one reason or another, and the National Anthem has been played nearly all the times. The few times it hasn't was because of a sound system problem and in those cases, the P.A. announcer would lead the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance. 

I, for one, can be proud of our country, be proud of being an American, yet at the same time, recognize there that we as a people and a country haven't always done the right thing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

The fact is, few want to leave and many want to come here. Not true of many other places on this earth. Why not be thankful for being here, of all places you might be. Like I said, you seem to revel in discontent. Be it your country or your baseball team. Life is good Andrew. And it is short. Have fun. Enjoy it.  

[/QUOTE]

Excellent reply -- just excellent.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Well put, roy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

was it disrespectful when Thomas Jefferson signed the Declaration of Independence and when George Washington formed a MILITIA and took up arms against his own government?  Or would you just had given him a "dirty look" and thought he was a "jerk" or just "bitter" and "hated the system"?

And so much for freedom of expression.  All I do is sit down and be quiet.  And people want to kill me?  I am not burning the flag.  I am not shouting over the song.  I am not doing ANYTHING.  So you guys talk about freedom but really what you all mean is YOUR definition of freedom and what feels right to you. 

So I go back to my original post and refer to the word I used "Hypocrites".......THIS NATION WAS FOUNDED ON DISSENT AND NOW YOU'ALL SEEM TO LOVE GOOSE STEPPING IN LINE and NOT BOTHERING TO LEARN HOW THE SYSTEM REALLY WORKS.  The best way to enslave a people:  LET THEM BELIEVE THEY ARE FREE......It's working......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]  I never said the government loves me. And I do not love the government either. But nobody is stopping anyone from leaving, even if you have to pay a fee. The fact is, few want to leave and many want to come here. Not true of many other places on this earth. Why not be thankful for being here, of all places you might be. Like I said, you seem to revel in discontent. Be it your country or your baseball team. Life is good Andrew. And it is short. Have fun. Enjoy it.  

[/QUOTE]

Look you said we are free to leave.  We are not free to leave because we are taxed on the way out and then for 5 years afterwards.  If we were really "FREE" to leave then I could do so w/o owing money.  Every other statement you make is not relevant to this very simple and very important point.  Why won't they just let people leave without hosing them on their way out and for another 5 years?  That's is not "FREE".  Your definition of free seems to be if you have the money to pay then you could buy your way out and therefore, you are perfectly free.  Think about it.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

FTR - veterans do not need to remove their hats.  i'm not sure why that is a "rule" but it is.....

Sections
Shortcuts