Slightly off topic...but The National Anthem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Slightly off topic...but The National Anthem

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Forget the Civil War. How many colonists voluntarily supported the Revolution? It was not unanimous nor even a majority. Was violent action against British rule really justified? Did the ends justify the means? Is killing for liberty a virtuous act?

[/QUOTE]

Are you freaking kidding?  What is the point here?  to out lunatic Andrew?

[/QUOTE]

And you didn't respond to the content of my post but resorted to personal attack. Simply because the Revolution took place doesn't mean we can't question its motivation or how it was carried out. Every successful revolution writes its own history and justifies its actions. 

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you would feel better about it if yiu simply thought of it as being like the Arab Spring?

LOL.  Talk to me after taking a few more courses.  I'm sure you'll be all the more receptive to our little revolution?

Or not....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

And of course, you are correct.  It was hardly a monolithic affair.   I'm quite sure your prof has discussed the Loyalists?

Perhaps it would help you to think of the king as something akin to Hosni Mobarak?  A cuddly dictator who would only demand services from your daughter if absolutely necessary.  Maybe you could do a little reading on the parties he held fof the Irish & Scotts?  A real charmer.  :)

I know it's become popular to question & even condemn our Revolutionary founders.  Even more popular to laud praise on terrorists taking over after the Arab Spring.

Too bad the IRA didn't have the spin control of this administration!   The Irish Spring would have been a real hit?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

DUDE!

To play along with you quasi-intellectual game, OF COURSE the revolutionaries / Rebels would be viewed differently at the time than jt is now romanticized.  In fact, they were quite literally attacked from all sides.

making it all the more incredible.  They all had everything to lose, & thousands did.

To the victors go the spoils.  Unfortunately for your profs, they did not take the spoils.  For the first time in human history, they turned it all over to the people.  The single greatest decision in all of history.  & so the world was changed forever!  Hence, "the shot heard round the world."

You are correct.  The debate is over.  Settled!  Not because I say so, but because some things truly are self-evident.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

P, s.   Sorry to get so fired up about all this!  & sorry to sound so condescending and arrogant.  I just get so tired of the revisionist historians who are want to excuse modern day barbric behavior, all while playing games & trying to say that many would call our founding fathers treasonous, all to score political points (generally against those on the Right).

The irony of how they viewed the IRA (not the Irish Spring) juxtaposed with their romance novel titled the Arab Spring says it all.  NO MATTER how evil these modern day "revolutionaries" prove themselves to be in the middle east and northern Africa.   Still, the media has never said boo about just how badly this lie that was sold to the "sheep" has gone.

God help the impending victims of the coming slaughter.  Women, girls, & Christians watch out!  And the band (media) played on.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

P, s.   Sorry to get so fired up about all this!  & sorry to sound so condescending and arrogant.  I just get so tired of the revisionist historians who are want to excuse modern day barbric behavior, all while playing games & trying to say that many would call our founding fathers treasonous, all to score political points (generally against those on the Right).

The irony of how the viewed the IRA (not the Irish Spring) juxtaposed with their romance novel titled the Arab Spring says it all.  NO MATTER how evil these modern day "revolutionaries" prove themselves to be.  Still, the media has never said boo about just how badly this lie that was sold to the "sheep" has gone.

God help the impending victims of the coming slaughter.  Women, girls, & Christians watch out!  And the band (media) played on.......

Speaking of god, I was recently informed that when asked what her favorite book was, Hillary responded by saying it was the bible. Turns out that of all the things a presidential nominee could be--black, a woman, a cheater, an alcoholic, old-the worst thing a nominee could be is an atheist. A poll found that 50% of the voting public  would not vote for an atheist. So, I'm sure Hillary was only responding with the safest answer, well she is a politician. 

However, if Hillary starts making religion a big thing in her presidential race, she will lose my vote. Personally, I would love to vote for a confirmed atheist. You know, someone who believes in science and not fairy tales.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The irony of how the viewed the IRA (not the Irish Spring) juxtaposed with their romance novel titled the Arab Spring says it all.  NO MATTER how evil these modern day "revolutionaries" prove themselves to be.  Still, the media has never said boo about just how badly this lie that was sold to the "sheep" has gone.

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of god, I was recently informed that when asked what her favorite book was, Hillary responded by saying it was the bible. Turns out that of all the things a presidential nominee could be--black, a woman, a cheater, an alcoholic, old-the worst thing a nominee could be is an atheist. A poll found that 50% of the voting public  would not vote for an atheist. So, I'm sure Hillary was only responding with the safest answer, well she is a politician. 

However, if Hillary starts making religion a big thing in her presidential race, she will lose my vote. Personally, I would love to vote for a confirmed atheist. You know, someone who believes in science and not fairy tales.

[/QUOTE]

LOL. 

When you started out, "speaking of God...   Hillary....."

I thought you were calling her God.

Until recently, I thought she was a shoe in.  After her 1st week of her book roll out, I was thinking I had over-estimated her inevitability.   Ironically, she began her comeback with an interview with Brett B. & Gretta V. On Fox.  She did quite well.  She'll be fine so long as she stays away from NPR.   ;)   It's not the Right-Wing Conspiracy Hillary You need to watch out for.  Keep an eye on your Left flank!    Especially if you start quoting the New Testiment!

;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Wow; this thread has legs

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow; this thread has legs

[/QUOTE]

Which begs the question........

Why won't Andrewmitch use them and stand out of simple respect and maturity for any nation's national anthem?

The Days of Our Lives.........     ;)

p.s.   rumor has it he stands & sings when China & Russia win medals in the Olympic games.   Hey!  It's certainly not just me making this stuff up.     ;)

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In retrospect had the South and North just became separate countries, it might have saved thousands of lives over the years. The differences between the Southern and Northern colonies were vast and their common thread was interference from the King's rule.

I was born in boston but now live in northern virginia.  When in the north I heard that point of view now in the south I hear the opposite.  Some people don't think northern virginia is the south, they call it occupied virginia and indeed it is!

I decided to study the civil war to see where the truth lies and I have found that there is some truth on both sides.  It is a complicated issue, so much so that it would be impossible to discuss here.

In the simplest terms lincoln felt it was necessary that this country, the experimental republic stand against all odds.  He felt if it failed here it would not succeed anywhere.

I sometimes wonder where we would be if the united states became divided.  Would we become two, three or even more countries?  Would we end up looking like europe?  If we did end up looking like europe would we have been able to turn back hitler?

Nature abhors a vacuum so if we don't stand against those who are trying to overtake the world then who will?

[/QUOTE]

67, this point you make is so true.

Growing up in upstate NY we all knew of local civil war hero Col. Elmer Ellsworth, the first Union officer killed in the civil war.

His story is local history, he was an aide to and very close to Lincoln, During the early days of the war in May of 1861. Lincoln was able to look down the Potomac into Alexandria and see a hugh confederate flag flying from the roof top of a hotel, The Marshall House. The flag was 14 X 40 foot hoisted up a 40 foot flag pole.

The day after Virginia's secession Ellsworth led his troops into Alexandria chasing out the Confederates, he then went to the Marshall House with 4 troops and up to the roof to remove the flag. As Ellsworth came down stairs with the very large flag the Inn's owner killed Ellsworth with one shot to the chest from a shot gun.

Last summer on a visit to Washington for a ballgame and to visit with my brother who graduated from American U. in the late 60s who now lives in Alexandria we drove by the Marshall House, I was surprised to see the plaque on display wondering why there was no mention of Ellsworth to which my brother replied, "hey you are in the south"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

And of course, you are correct.  It was hardly a monolithic affair.   I'm quite sure your prof has discussed the Loyalists?

Perhaps it would help you to think of the king as something akin to Hosni Mobarak?  A cuddly dictator who would only demand services from your daughter if absolutely necessary.  Maybe you could do a little reading on the parties he held fof the Irish & Scotts?  A real charmer.  :)

I know it's become popular to question & even condemn our Revolutionary founders.  Even more popular to laud praise on terrorists taking over after the Arab Spring.

Too bad the IRA didn't have the spin control of this administration!   The Irish Spring would have been a real hit?

[/QUOTE]

RSDD

All of Your post on this subject refreshing and very impressive.

Andrew might pick up the "The Princes of Ireland" by Edward Rutherford to get a general idea of what was going on in Ireland and Scotland when the Continental Army backed by the French and Dutch defeated the British.

There are so many great stories and individual acts of heroism about our country that are no longer being taught to the younger generation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In retrospect had the South and North just became separate countries, it might have saved thousands of lives over the years. The differences between the Southern and Northern colonies were vast and their common thread was interference from the King's rule.

[/QUOTE]

I was born in boston but now live in northern virginia.  When in the north I heard that point of view now in the south I hear the opposite.  Some people don't think northern virginia is the south, they call it occupied virginia and indeed it is!

I decided to study the civil war to see where the truth lies and I have found that there is some truth on both sides.  It is a complicated issue, so much so that it would be impossible to discuss here.

In the simplest terms lincoln felt it was necessary that this country, the experimental republic stand against all odds.  He felt if it failed here it would not succeed anywhere.

I sometimes wonder where we would be if the united states became divided.  Would we become two, three or even more countries?  Would we end up looking like europe?  If we did end up looking like europe would we have been able to turn back hitler?

Nature abhors a vacuum so if we don't stand against those who are trying to overtake the world then who will?

[/QUOTE]

Growing up in upstate NY we all knew of local civil war hero Col. Elmer Ellsworth, the first Union officer killed in the civil war.

His story is local history, he was an aide to and very close to Lincoln, During the early days of the war in May of 1861. Lincoln was able to look down the Potomac into Alexandria and see a hugh confederate flag flying from the roof top of a hotel, The Marshall House. The flag was 14 X 40 foot hoisted up a 40 foot flag pole.

The day after Virginia's secession Ellsworth led his troops into Alexandria chasing out the Confederates, he then went to the Marshall House with 4 troops and up to the roof to remove the flag. As Ellsworth came down stairs with the very large flag the Inn's owner killed Ellsworth with one shot to the chest from a shot gun.

Last summer on a visit to Washington for a ballgame and to visit with my brother who graduated from American U. in the late 60s who now lives in Alexandria we drove by the Marshall House, I was surprised to see the plaque on display wondering why there was no mention of Ellsworth to which my brother replied, "hey you are in the south"

[/QUOTE]

Things are different here.  I always get a chuckle when I pass the "stonewall jackson shrine" sign.  Having southern friends I need to bite my tongue sometimes.  Having souther friends who are dems have nearly caused me to bite my tongue off LOL!!!

Thankfully I don't have southern, dem, yank friends 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Things are different here.  I always get a chuckle when I pass the "stonewall jackson shrine" sign.  Having southern friends I need to bite my tongue sometimes.  Having souther friends who are dems have nearly caused me to bite my tongue off LOL!!!

[/QUOTE]

I'm not southern, but I'm a dem  and I'm certainly not your friend.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Wouldn't southern & Yank friends be a slight contradiction in terms?

Then again, it would not be the firsttime that 67 posted the inexplicable.   ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

DUDE!

To play along with you quasi-intellectual game, OF COURSE the revolutionaries / Rebels would be viewed differently at the time than jt is now romanticized.  In fact, they were quite literally attacked from all sides.

making it all the more incredible.  They all had everything to lose, & thousands did.

To the victors go the spoils.  Unfortunately for your profs, they did not take the spoils.  For the first time in human history, they turned it all over to the people.  The single greatest decision in all of history.  & so the world was changed forever!  Hence, "the shot heard round the world."

You are correct.  The debate is over.  Settled!  Not because I say so, but because some things truly are self-evident.

[/QUOTE]

That is where you are intellectually limited. Nothing in politics is self-evident. Never has been, never will be. This country has been and will be debating these issues forever. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

DUDE!

[/QUOTE]

That is where you are intellectually limited. Nothing in politics is self-evident. Never has been, never will be. This country has been and will be debating these issues forever. 

[/QUOTE]

Keep telling yourself that.  You, and the rest of the 1/2  of 1/2 of 1% of the extreme far Left will be the only ones debating whether or not our founding fathers had a moral justification to declare Independence, and to subsequently fight the Revolutionary War to secure it.  

So tell me, where do you stand on the Arab Spring, and the right of the people to overthrow brutal dictators such as Mobarak and Ghaddafi.

p.s.  It might surprise you to know that I was, and still am solidly against the war against Iraq and Afghanistan.

So please tell us where you stand on the Arab Spring, and the rights of the people to forcible overthrow their government.  While you are at it, please tell us your where you stand on the Revolutionary War here in what we like to call, "The good old U.S. of A."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

DUDE!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Keep telling yourself that.  You, and the rest of the 1/2  of 1/2 of 1% of the extreme far Left will be the only ones debating whether or not our founding fathers had a moral justification to declare Independence, and to subsequently fight the Revolutionary War to secure it.  

So tell me, where do you stand on the Arab Spring, and the right of the people to overthrow brutal dictators such as Mobarak and Ghaddafi.

p.s.  It might surprise you to know that I was, and still am solidly against the war against Iraq and Afghanistan.

So please tell us where you stand on the Arab Spring, and the rights of the people to forcible overthrow their government.  While you are at it, please tell us your where you stand on the Revolutionary War here in what we like to call, "The good old U.S. of A."

[/QUOTE]

Did you & Andrewmitch stand & sing before the U.S.  vs.  Portugal game.  ?   ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

My favorite "Stonewall" plaque is the one in the West Village, NYC.