"Small Market Model Team," as Claimed by the Clown, Fires Beinfest!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re:

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Moon you are just as bad as Softy - 

The Sox are having the most amazing year in my lifetime (post-1967) and as the post season is right on us, youre in a pizzing contest over what? How about we talk postseason baseball. We already had a thread(s) about how wrong almost all of us were about predictions. It's been so bad the past few weeks I don't even want to go on this site. 

As always - 100% correct!

Just as bad as Softy? Not even close. But I do agree with you Geo that there is a very strange infatuation here with the senseless repetitive enumeration of where Softy was wrong. If you go out on a limb here and make predictions you are probably going to be wrong half the time. Only those people who never make predictions are never wrong here. Time to get off Softy's case IMO.

exactly Pumpsie -  when Moon isnt boring us with saber-nonsense, he is capable of straight talk and an occasional prediction/observation or two...softy knows he can get a rise out of the usual suspects and plays to that crowd...i have no problem with anyone voicing any opinion of this board - the only thing i cant take is this personal nonsense

FWIW I greatly enjoy Moon's posts here. I find his analysis to be generally insightful, fair and balanced. I am not bored by his sabermetric stuff, though I don't always agree with it. When he goes out on a limb and makes prognostications and is wrong, he admits it. Thats different than Softy who, to the best of my knowledge, has never admitted he was wrong. Still, that is no cause for so many threads and posts being created to denigrate him. I have no more interest in denigrating him than I do of denigrating an.............amoeba.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Moon you are just as bad as Softy - 

The Sox are having the most amazing year in my lifetime (post-1967) and as the post season is right on us, youre in a pizzing contest over what? How about we talk postseason baseball. We already had a thread(s) about how wrong almost all of us were about predictions. It's been so bad the past few weeks I don't even want to go on this site. 

As always - 100% correct!

Just as bad as Softy? Not even close. But I do agree with you Geo that there is a very strange infatuation here with the senseless repetitive enumeration of where Softy was wrong. If you go out on a limb here and make predictions you are probably going to be wrong half the time. Only those people who never make predictions are never wrong here. Time to get off Softy's case IMO.

Yes, bt I think the source of irritation is the failure to admit being wrong.   I have no problem with it.  Neither does geo.  But for some, it turns into a twisted rationalization about how even though eveerything they said was wrong, they are still right.  And for others, it can oddly delve into an even darker perspective, but no need to go there right now.

really, it's all very silly to maintain an ego in an anonymous forum...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re:

Joey, there's a not so fine line between upbeat and an apologist - You obviously can't differentiate between the two. As for Trey Ball - your wonderous #8 pick is utlizing his awesome natural speed to lead his Gulf Coast team to amazing PITCHING heights courtesy of his 6.5 ERA over five starts. He does have an inning in the field so I guess we should withhold judgement until 2026, right Joey?

I hold out judgement until these guys almost reach the RS, and sometimes I don't even think much about them until I see them with the RS.

You're the one that bashed him WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHAT POSITION HE PLAYED.  That's pathetic.  The only part you got right was that he was white.  I assume you at least saw a picture.  And you racistly assumed he was slow.  You didn't even know the guy's position.

To repeat, you didn't even know the guy's position before you started bashing him.

And you have the nerve to complain about Moon not being more positive?  How about just acknowledging that bashing a guy you knew nothing about, was wrong?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re:

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Why focus on the word "racist" rather than myopic, or troll, or 'stirring the pot'?

Methinks thou doth protest too much. 

Me thinks the focus on racist was part of the whiny litany from the personal attacker. When it's a baseball forum and a poster rants and throws in the obligatory ad hom "racist, me thinks you protesteth too much".

Take a page from Geo and Pumpsie, and don't go DNC Postal ranting with the "hater" and "racist" obligatory litany. 

Me thinks thou doth protesteth too much about another poster.

OK,  I won't pick on you again.

Until the next time.  Cool

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Joey, there's a not so fine line between upbeat and an apologist - You obviously can't differentiate between the two. As for Trey Ball - your wonderous #8 pick is utlizing his awesome natural speed to lead his Gulf Coast team to amazing PITCHING heights courtesy of his 6.5 ERA over five starts. He does have an inning in the field so I guess we should withhold judgement until 2026, right Joey?

I hold out judgement until these guys almost reach the RS, and sometimes I don't even think much about them until I see them with the RS.

You're the one that bashed him WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHAT POSITION HE PLAYED.  That's pathetic.  The only part you got right was that he was white.  I assume you at least saw a picture.  And you racistly assumed he was slow.  You didn't even know the guy's position.

To repeat, you didn't even know the guy's position before you started bashing him.

And you have the nerve to complain about Moon not being more positive?  How about just acknowledging that bashing a guy you knew nothing about, was wrong?

Joey, keep making nonsense up and we can start calling you Softy - we had the highest pick in decades and we chose a pitcher...not an outfielder with power - that was my beef...the fact that you keep on claiming he is a gifted athlete makes me laugh because he is a pitcher (or a 6 foot six fielder?) You claimed he ran the bases in some nonsense time and I made you look foolish by showing you that he would have had to outrun every prospect in the last ten years to get those times you said he ran...He is useless at this point - a busted draft pick who couldve been taken in a second round given his lack of seasoning (and if he wasnt there, oh well). The only think worse was your instant defense of him despite his long, long, long, long road to mattering to the Sox...He could be great someday - but dont we say that of all prospects....but at #8 you shouldnt have to hope.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re:

Joey, keep making nonsense up and we can start calling you Softy - we had the highest pick in decades and we chose a pitcher...not an outfielder with power - that was my beef...the fact that you keep on claiming he is a gifted athlete makes me laugh because he is a pitcher (or a 6 foot six fielder?) You claimed he ran the bases in some nonsense time and I made you look foolish by showing you that he would have had to outrun every prospect in the last ten years to get those times you said he ran...He is useless at this point - a busted draft pick who couldve been taken in a second round given his lack of seasoning (and if he wasnt there, oh well). The only think worse was your instant defense of him despite his long, long, long, long road to mattering to the Sox...He could be great someday - but dont we say that of all prospects....but at #8 you shouldnt have to hope.

1-You said he was slow.  I merely showed you articles with his speed.

2-Your claims that he should've been a 2nd rounder is delusional.  Show me one magazine that says he is a second rounder.

3-You claim that he is useless?  After pitching 7 innings?  Seriously?  That's more bizarre than saying he was a 2nd rounder.

4-There were no top hitter left.  I'd have liked Bryant or Frazier, but they were gone.  Which hitter would you have taken?

But that doesn't matter, and was never the point.

The point was that you criticized our pick as being slow, and being a poor outfielder.  YOU HAD NO IDEA OF WHO HE WAS: YOU SIMPLY WANTED TO BE CRITICAL.

And now you're complaining about Moon?  BTW, we can continue to have this conversation everyday.  I like saying that YOU HAD NO IDEA OF WHO HE WAS: YOU SIMPLY WANTED TO BE CRITICAL, and you having no defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re:

So, the Marlins are the model of small market team building, even though they hired a bum named Beinfest. Got it.

The Rays and A's are clearly the models and have been for 5 years or more.

It all started back in 2008, when the resident clown projected the "Rays would fade away in the dog days of summer". He has predicted it every year since, in the hopes of someday being right. He changes the criteria to convince himself he wasn't wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if he still thinks the Marlins are the best small market model.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

That kind of logic is why you are dead wrong.  You take the best player available, regardless of position.  This isn't the NBA or NFL where drafting for need maes sense, since the guy could be starting next year.  MLB draftees can be years away from ever playing.   And by that time, we could trade him for an "outfielder with power" or whatwever is needd to fill a void in the system.

Really, this draft had 2 outfuelders with power - Bryant and Frazier.  Bother were gone by the time the Sox drafted.  

But the bottom line is, you are trying to apply NBA/NFL draft logic to MLB. And while some teams do bring up their first round pick same or next year, it is not common.  And never done because the player was drafted out of need, but rather because the player was simply outstanding.  (Some like Craig Hansen or Joey Devine are PROMOTED out of need, but neither was drafted because the Sox or Braves needed a relief pitcher RIGHT NOW!)

Teams that draft for need do things like take Ricky Romero ahead of Troy Tulowitzki...

Sections
Shortcuts