Smiling Joe for MVP?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Smiling Joe for MVP?

How can anyone in their right mind bat Derek Sanderson Jeter lead-off over Brett Gardener? 

I'd love to hear Smiling Joe explain that one away.  You gotta wonder if Mr "I am too busy for the All Star Game" made is clear that he'd pull a Jorge if he was removed from the lead-off hole.

Either way, I am just glad he's still batting lead-off.  The Bronx Zoo lives on.  Thanks Derek - thank you Joey - you're my MVP!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Similng Joe for MVP?

Oh h*ll, I am going to agree with Andrew.

There is no excuse for some of Girardi's moves. I was hoping that Jeter would go on a tear once he hit 3,000, but he has remained a .260 hitter. Obviously the loss of A-Rod shortens the front-end of the line-up, especially with Tex hitting only .240, but Jeter needs to be moved out of the front 5 in the line-up. Anywhere from 6 - 9 makes the most sense. If Jeter is the one who is forcing this issue, then shame on him for putting himself before the team.

As of today, the line-up card should read:

Gardner
    Swisher
    Cano
    Granderson
    Tex
    Nunez
    Jeter
    Posada or Jones (DH)
    Martin

Obviously there is no chance they will move Tex out of the 3 hole, but this is the change I would make.

With A-Rod out of the line-up until the last wek of August, do not be shocked if the Yanks offer up Montero for Beltran and then tell Posada thank you, but no thank you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Similng Joe for MVP?

How can anyone in their right mind bat Derek Sanderson Jeter lead-off over Brett Gardener?

jeter is batting 375  avg 444 OBP to start off a gm

besides how often does a lead off guy lead off an inning

maybe twice a gm, guess what

jeter hits 340 / 404  when starting  off an inning

gardner is hitting 190 to start off a gm

so what was your point again

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Smiling Joe for MVP?

Zac - those 1st inning numbers have actually dropped since this conversation first popped up prior to Jeter's injury.  When a team is not scoring, you have to mix and match to get a couple of extra runs across. Batting 1st may only give you a lead-off spot once in a game, but you are still batting ahead of your rbi guys 5 x a game and you need to be on base more than what Jeter has done.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Gardner
    Swisher
    Texiera
    Granderson
    Cano
    3B/C/DH
    Jeter
    3B/C/DH
    3B/C/DH

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Who said batting lead-off meant batting average to lead off a game?  Not sure but that's a little foolish.  Lead off gets more AB's than anyone else, duh.  You need to reduce Sandy's AB's not increase them...........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm pretty sure I read before the season that the Yankees were considering having Jeter lead off against LH starters and Gardner against RH starters.  I'm sure they're looking pretty hard at the numbers and we might see a change yet.  They have their controversies and we have ours.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Lead off gets more AB's than anyone else, duh.

1 AB a game

OMG

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP?:
    [QUOTE]I'm pretty sure I read before the season that the Yankees were considering having Jeter lead off against LH starters and Gardner against RH starters.  I'm sure they're looking pretty hard at the numbers and we might see a change yet.  They have their controversies and we have ours.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Should have been done 13 months ago so I really doubt it.

In 2013 when Smiling Joe is long gone and Jeter is playing to get his 2014 vested and he's moaning about wanting a 300 million dollar extension things will get quite interesting as he still clamors to his lead off spot and SS position.  Hopefully, Sparky Lyle hasn't retired his typewritter just yet!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : Should have been done 13 months ago so I really doubt it. In 2013 when Smiling Joe is long gone and Jeter is playing to get his 2014 vested and he's moaning about wanting a 300 million dollar extension things will get quite interesting as he still clamors to his lead off spot and SS position.  Hopefully, Sparky Lyle hasn't retired his typewritter just yet!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE] Andrew,you keep this up and Drew's gonna think you don't care anymore...Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Jeter is Joe D. reborn...Im not sure how you demote a legend...there is no one on the Sox team that can compare to jeter's status/legend....I dont recall Yaz being benched at age 40 despite his drop in play...I remember him hitting in the top half of the order....we might have to give JoeG a pass on this one - it's a no win situation

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Jeter = Joe D?  WOW.  I think not. Not even close

Yes Yaz lost his job in LF.  Yaz lost his job at 1B.  Yaz lost his job batting 3rd or 4th.  Yaz was reduced to a DH and a Pinch Hitter.  We have had legends larger than Jeter.  Yaz, Rice, Nomar, Manny, Pedro, Ortiz......Pedey is next............

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Jeter = Joe D?  WOW.  I think not. Not even close Yes Yaz lost his job in LF.  Yaz lost his job at 1B.  Yaz lost his job batting 3rd or 4th.  Yaz was reduced to a DH and a Pinch Hitter.  We have had legends larger than Jeter.  Yaz, Rice, Nomar, Manny, Pedro, Ortiz......Pedey is next............
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

abso Joe D AM, the number of rings, the steady but not awesome/overwhelming stats, the quiet leadership...just my opinion of course but a winner through and through whose total numbers will never reflect his awesomeness to the team

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Jeter = Joe D?  WOW.  I think not. Not even close Yes Yaz lost his job in LF.  Yaz lost his job at 1B.  Yaz lost his job batting 3rd or 4th.  Yaz was reduced to a DH and a Pinch Hitter.  We have had legends larger than Jeter.  Yaz, Rice, Nomar, Manny, Pedro, Ortiz......Pedey is next............

Yaz was like 42 years old AM..you cant compare that to this juncture of Jeter's career

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Derek, I'm only about team and championships, Jeter is going to go to Giardi and demand to be dropped down in the line-up . It will be the same as when he willingly moved to third, when A-Rod came to the Yanks, because he was the better SS. Wait that didn't happen I'm shocked, shocked Jeter couldn't have put him-self above the team because he only cares about winning, I wonder how his legions of sycophants are going to spin this for the captain.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : Yaz was like 42 years old AM..you cant compare that to this juncture of Jeter's career
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Sure I can

He lost LF @ Age 35

He lost 1B @ ~ Age 40

jeter is 37, which is at least Age 40 for SS's.........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]   Derek, I'm only about team and championships, Jeter is going to go to Giardi and demand to be dropped down in the line-up . It will be the same as when he willingly moved to third, when A-Rod came to the Yanks, because he was the better SS. Wait that didn't happen I'm shocked, shocked Jeter couldn't have put him-self above the team because he only cares about winning, I wonder how his legions of sycophants are going to spin this for the captain.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

LOL

He supported a Jorge for quitting on his team

He supported PEDittee for cheating

He supported the AL in the All Star Game

He supported Ca$h-man for the contract negotiations; even after he got a gauranteed FIFTY-ONE MIL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : Should have been done 13 months ago so I really doubt it. In 2013 when Smiling Joe is long gone and Jeter is playing to get his 2014 vested and he's moaning about wanting a 300 million dollar extension things will get quite interesting as he still clamors to his lead off spot and SS position.  Hopefully, Sparky Lyle hasn't retired his typewritter just yet!

Don't forget about moving ARod to 3B so the inferior fielding Jeter could stay comfy at SS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]   Derek, I'm only about team and championships, Jeter is going to go to Giardi and demand to be dropped down in the line-up . It will be the same as when he willingly moved to third, when A-Rod came to the Yanks, because he was the better SS. Wait that didn't happen I'm shocked, shocked Jeter couldn't have put him-self above the team because he only cares about winning, I wonder how his legions of sycophants are going to spin this for the captain.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

ok let's see if I got you right

jeter should say he's not good enough to lead off anymore

and he should have said arod was a better SS

sounds kind of silly 2me

I mean

why would anyone want a player who has lost his confidence

don't you thing confidence is a good thing when walking up to the plate

you think me saying  '' sounds kind of silly to me''

was being to kind ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

We have had legends larger than Jeter.  Yaz, Rice, Nomar, Manny, Pedro, Ortiz.

Now you are pushing it a bit Andrew.

But beyond this, I am hopeful that this situation will rectify itself shortly. The Yanks are not scoring like they should the last 8 or 9 games and the Yanks cannot expect Colon, Garcia and Burnett to pitch to a sub 2.00 ERA. This Yankee team needs to score 4 + a game. Until A-Rod returns, Girardi needs to really look at this line-up and see what gives him the best chance to do this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have had legends larger than Jeter.  Yaz, Rice, Nomar, Manny, Pedro, Ortiz.

Now you are pushing it a bit Andrew.

Nomar is arguable, but the others, in my opinion) are "larger" (some slightly) than Jeter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Here's the line up from NESN.com:

Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
    Dustin Pedroia, 2B
    Adrian Gonzalez, DH
    Kevin Youkilis, 1B
    Josh Reddick, RF
    Carl Crawford, LF
    Marco Scutaro, SS
    Jason Varitek, C
    Yamaico Navarro, 3B

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yaz, Rice, Nomar, Manny, Pedro, Ortiz.

Yaz - much better player than Jeter - I am not gonna waste my time debating this

Rice - offensively, absolutely no comparison

Manny - ditto Rice plus 2 WS

Ortiz - ditto Manny

Pedro - was there a better pitcher in your lifetime?  Maybe but he makes the Top 5 easy, for a period of time was second to none, and get the Sox it's first WS in 86 yrs

Nomar - through 2003 was hands down better than jeter

argue all you like but the bottom line is that it is 100% impossible for you to determine what Boston fan's definition of a legend is.......nice try though......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : ok let's see if I got you right jeter should say he's not good enough to lead off anymore and he should have said arod was a better SS sounds kind of silly 2me I mean why would anyone want a player who has lost his confidence don't you thing confidence is a good thing when walking up to the plate you think me saying  '' sounds kind of silly to me'' was being to kind ?
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]
       So the alternative is to lead him off and play SS for eternity, Joe and the Yankee organization have to show some balls and tell 'Mr team' that moves have to be made and they involve him, I'm sure 'I only care about championships will understand'...NOT.