Adrian Gonzalez, DH
    Kevin Youkilis, 1B
    Josh Reddick, RF
    Carl Crawford, LF
    Marco Scutaro, SS
    Jason Varitek, C
    Yamaico Navarro, 3B

I guess this is AGon's "rest day".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Smiling Joe for MVP?

In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? :    So the alternative is to lead him off and play SS for eternity, Joe and the Yankee organization have to show some balls and tell 'Mr team' that moves have to be made and they involve him, I'm sure 'I only care about championships will understand'...NOT.   
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

my post what about him taking himself out

you never answered me

do you want a player who acts like he has lost confidence ?

I already posted the stats

him leading off is not a problem for a team

near the top in both standings and  offense

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]Yaz, Rice, Nomar, Manny, Pedro, Ortiz. Yaz - much better player than Jeter - I am not gonna waste my time debating this Rice - offensively, absolutely no comparison Manny - ditto Rice plus 2 WS Ortiz - ditto Manny Pedro - was there a better pitcher in your lifetime?  Maybe but he makes the Top 5 easy, for a period of time was second to none, and get the Sox it's first WS in 86 yrs Nomar - through 2003 was hands down better than jeter argue all you like but the bottom line is that it is 100% impossible for you to determine what Boston fan's definition of a legend is.......nice try though......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

rice barely made it into the HOF (and w/o steroids scandal might not have ever) - Jeter will be in on the first ballot...Pedro's best years might have been in the NL...Manny was awesome in Cleveland and is now a steroid/mercenary joke who might never even get voted in....Yaz is the only one in the last 30 years who has meant as much to Sox as Jeter does presently to the Yanks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : rice barely made it into the HOF (and w/o steroids scandal might not have ever) - Jeter will be in on the first ballot...Pedro's best years might have been in the NL...Manny was awesome in Cleveland and is now a steroid/mercenary joke who might never even get voted in....Yaz is the only one in the last 30 years who has meant as much to Sox as Jeter does presently to the Yanks
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Pedro had some great years in the NL, but the 2 best years of his career were 1999 and 2000 for the Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : my post what about him taking himself out you never answered me do you want a player who acts like he has lost confidence ? I already posted the stats him leading off is not a problem for a team near the top in both standings and  offense
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

You Yankee fans say that Jeter is one of your all-time greats, then let him act like one. Mantle was moved to first base, Berra to left field, they traded Ruth and DiMagggio retired when the couldn't play up to past standards and in my mind the  Yankee with the most class, Lou Gehrig, did go to the manager and asked out of the line-up, and before that he was already being dropped down in the line-up hitting fifth and sometimes sixth. So if Jeter truley belongs in their company he should do the right thing for the good of the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : rice barely made it into the HOF (and w/o steroids scandal might not have ever) - Jeter will be in on the first ballot...Pedro's best years might have been in the NL...Manny was awesome in Cleveland and is now a steroid/mercenary joke who might never even get voted in....Yaz is the only one in the last 30 years who has meant as much to Sox as Jeter does presently to the Yanks

If you think Jeter was a better hitter than Rice then what can I really say to that?

Pedro = 2004 WS for Sox - if that isn't a legend then I don't know what is.  98-00 no one could touch him.  Roger won the CY in 98 but know we know why.  So really Pedro won the CY 3 years in a row.

Manny became a shame but no Manny no WS in 04 and 07 - again, legendary......

Bottom Line is Sox do not lack legends and IMO all of the above were better players than Mr Right Time/Right Place......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : my post what about him taking himself out you never answered me do you want a player who acts like he has lost confidence ? I already posted the stats him leading off is not a problem for a team near the top in both standings and  offense

Doing what's best for the team does not convey that he's 'taking himself out' or acting like he's lost his confidence, IMO.  Quite the contrary.   It's knowing that you're a good enough player and that you have enough confidence in yourself to make whatever adjustments are necessary to benefit the team as a whole.

"Hey Joe, if you need me to bat 6th, I can bat 6th.  Hey, if you need me to play 3B, I can play 3B.  I'll do whatever the team needs me to do."

That doesn't sound like a quitter or someone who has lost confidence in himself to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : If you think Jeter was a better hitter than Rice then what can I really say to that? Pedro = 2004 WS for Sox - if that isn't a legend then I don't know what is.  98-00 no one could touch him.  Roger won the CY in 98 but know we know why.  So really Pedro won the CY 3 years in a row. Manny became a shame but no Manny no WS in 04 and 07 - again, legendary...... Bottom Line is Sox do not lack legends and IMO all of the above were better players than Mr Right Time/Right Place......

you really think Pedro for the Red Sox is equal to Jeter for the Yanks??? a guy who spent 1/2 his career with us versus a guy who has stayed with just one team in this age of free agency and won 4x as many titles??? really??? last time I checked Pedro left the Sox after a championship for more cash...some legend huh? I guess Wade Boggs is a legend too

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : you really think Pedro for the Red Sox is equal to Jeter for the Yanks??? a guy who spent 1/2 his career with us versus a guy who has stayed with just one team in this age of free agency and won 4x as many titles??? really??? last time I checked Pedro left the Sox after a championship for more cash...some legend huh? I guess Wade Boggs is a legend too

They're all mercenaries, don't you think, georom?  Sure Pedro left for more dough, but Jeter just finished a 10 year, 189 million contract and followed that with a 3 year, 51 million deal.  That's 240 million reasons to stick around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

First off - I don't think we can put Jete and Pedro in the same conversation - pitcher vs everyday player. And in my eyes, Pedro was the most dominant pitcher in the game for about 5 straight years.

However, the thought that Nomar, or any of the others stack up to Jete is impossible considering the circumstances. Yaz is a legend, I won't dispute that, but his overall numbers do not support him being a superior player to Jeter. As for the rest, legend (in baseball) does not mean that you are the best athlete, it means that your presence was just as important as your ability.  Manny probably is because of what he did in 2004, and the same goes for Papi. But just like all the other juicers, neither are going into the Hall and Jeter is a 1st ballot HoFer with the credentials to back it up. Anything else is just dislike of a player or a team. Rice was a great hitter, I cannot comment on the rest of his game or importance in the Sox clubhouse because I don't know.

But going back to the original point of this thread - I do believe that Girardi does need to reevaluate this situation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]First off - I don't think we can put Jete and Pedro in the same conversation - pitcher vs everyday player. And in my eyes, Pedro was the most dominant pitcher in the game for about 5 straight years. However, the thought that Nomar, or any of the others stack up to Jete is impossible considering the circumstances. Yaz is a legend, I won't dispute that, but his overall numbers do not support him being a superior player to Jeter. As for the rest, legend (in baseball) does not mean that you are the best athlete, it means that your presence was just as important as your ability.  Manny probably is because of what he did in 2004, and the same goes for Papi. But just like all the other juicers, neither are going into the Hall and Jeter is a 1st ballot HoFer with the credentials to back it up. Anything else is just dislike of a player or a team. Rice was a great hitter, I cannot comment on the rest of his game or importance in the Sox clubhouse because I don't know. But going back to the original point of this thread - I do believe that Girardi does need to reevaluate this situation.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Ortiz is a juicer?  Prove it!!!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : you really think Pedro for the Red Sox is equal to Jeter for the Yanks??? a guy who spent 1/2 his career with us versus a guy who has stayed with just one team in this age of free agency and won 4x as many titles??? really??? last time I checked Pedro left the Sox after a championship for more cash...some legend huh? I guess Wade Boggs is a legend too

7 years today is a long time....Theo wasn't brining Pedro back....times are different today but Pedro spent about half of career w/ Boston....If you don't think Pedro was a legend then you missed out on something special. 

Again, you cannot win this "arguement" - no one can.  It all goes to how the INDIVIDUAL defines LEGEND. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Look all I care is that Smilin Joe keeps penciling in Mr Right Place/Right Time in the lead off hole and under-valuing Gardener. 

M   V   P  !!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : Ortiz is a juicer?  Prove it!!!!!!

He supposedly failed the same test that all the others did. And since the list was never supposed to have been leaked to begin with, nothing needs to be proved. It is up to the player to answer any allegations - and he decided to blame it on the shakes. Either way, he is not a HoFer so he is not in the discussion with Jeter - sorry Andrew. But as far as being a Bostonian legend, I think his name has to be right on top of the list. Papi has all my respect, no matter what.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]Look all I care is that Smilin Joe keeps penciling in Mr Right Place/Right Time in the lead off hole and under-valuing Gardener.  M   V   P  !!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more, one of the things the Sox have going for them is for Jeter to continue to play short and lead off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : He supposedly failed the same test that all the others did. And since the list was never supposed to have been leaked to begin with, nothing needs to be proved. It is up to the player to answer any allegations - and he decided to blame it on the shakes. Either way, he is not a HoFer so he is not in the discussion with Jeter - sorry Andrew. But as far as being a Bostonian legend, I think his name has to be right on top of the list. Papi has all my respect, no matter what.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

well, there you have it ladies and gentleman of the jury - case closed!!!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? :    Couldn't agree more, one of the things the Sox have going for them is for Jeter to continue to play short and lead off.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

Absolutely - I usually briefly scratch my head when I see the line ups and then quicky realize how awesome it is!!!!!!!  Thanks Joey!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE] Lead off gets more AB's than anyone else, duh. 1 AB a game OMG

1 multiplied by 162 = 162. Quite a difference, I'd want Gardner up that many times more than Jeter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : 1 multiplied by 162 = 162. Quite a difference, I'd want Gardner up that many times more than Jeter.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

That is just another indication of how mentally challenged Yankee fans are. They root for the Yankees because they're front running bas....s who come out of  the woodwork like roaches when winning, but slink into the background when losing, the AMA is going to declare that being a  Yankee fan is a mental illness.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : 1 multiplied by 162 = 162. Quite a difference, I'd want Gardner up that many times more than Jeter.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Wow, did someone actually say that getting 1 extra at bat is meaningless?  let me guess - a yankee fan who has a man-crush on derek, right???

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Mike Francesa spent some time today explaining why Jeter should be batting lower in the lineup.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

ah, I think I figured it out...It was Girardi right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Francesa spent some time today explaining why Jeter should be batting lower in the lineup.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

The most biased man to ever get paid to talk into a mic?

There's a reason why I don't listen to him...........he still thinks the yankees won Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS!!!!!!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE] Lead off gets more AB's than anyone else, duh. 1 AB a game OMG
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]Zac, that is 150-162 PAs in a healthy season. it does matter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smiling Joe for MVP? : Zac, that is 150-162 PAs in a healthy season. it does matter.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

That's only true if the leadoff batter makes the last out of every game :)

The reality is more like 20 PAs between a #1 and a #2.