Snyder a surprise and still only 26

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Snyder a surprise and still only 26

Could be the surprise of the year and is slowly becomming a fan favorite after Middy's dissapointing start.  Small sample size but you got to love the guy so far.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hwaiting. Show Hwaiting's posts

Re: Snyder a surprise and still only 26

I question what will happen when pitchers start to find weaknesses (no, I don't know of any, because I'm not one of those uber knowledgable people, but most young guys have some, so it is what it is), but I will smash those questions down before they inch out of my brain, because I am loving what he is doing so far.  Way for a young guy to contribute.  He got the chance, and he's making the most of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hwaiting's comment:

I question what will happen when pitchers start to find weaknesses (no, I don't know of any, because I'm not one of those uber knowledgable people, but most young guys have some, so it is what it is), but I will smash those questions down before they inch out of my brain, because I am loving what he is doing so far.  Way for a young guy to contribute.  He got the chance, and he's making the most of it.

Wouldn't that be a surprise if he ended up at 1B or 3B every day at some point?  He looks like a perfect "dirt dog" so far.  I give him credit for being so comfortable after being thrown in there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Hopefully Snyder continues his mix of good-enough defense and timely hitting. Also hopefully by the time big league pitchers figure him out that either Middlebrooks is ready to return, Sox have acquired Aramis Ramirez ( NOT M. Young !) or , least likely, Bogaerts has exploded and is kicking down the door.

But if Snyder could keep it up, we wouldn't need to spend on Ramirez, thus saving assets for bullpen reinforcements. Snyder does have previous M.L. experience.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He make boo-boo on out at third, he would have score on Iggy's hit, definetly on Ellsbury's hit. Hope that dont haunt us later. It happens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hwaiting. Show Hwaiting's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

He make boo-boo on out at third, he would have score on Iggy's hit. Hope that dont haunt us later.

Yeah.  I know.  Will overlook that for now, and YES, hope it does not haunt us. Boneheaded baserunning is the hallmark of many a young player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to Hwaiting's comment:

He make boo-boo on out at third, he would have score on Iggy's hit. Hope that dont haunt us later.

Yeah.  I know.  Will overlook that for now, and YES, hope it does not haunt us. Boneheaded baserunning is the hallmark of many a young player.

Agree, feeling good, cant blame him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Hopefully Snyder continues his mix of good-enough defense and timely hitting. Also hopefully by the time big league pitchers figure him out that either Middlebrooks is ready to return, Sox have acquired Aramis Ramirez ( NOT M. Young !) or , least likely, Bogaerts has exploded and is kicking down the door.

But if Snyder could keep it up, we wouldn't need to spend on Ramirez, thus saving assets for bullpen reinforcements. Snyder does have previous M.L. experience.

You can usually tell a lot about a player after he swings at a horrible pitch and quickly recognizes it.  Then just about hits a Grand Slam after a great AB.  Something Iggy seems to have learned and Middy still needs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

He make boo-boo on out at third, he would have score on Iggy's hit, definetly on Ellsbury's hit. Hope that dont haunt us later. It happens.

I don't mind his out at third. He was trying to get there with one out and almost made it. At AAA ball his OPS was over .800 so there is a decent chance he can hit in the majors too, though by no means is it a sure thing. I saw him swing at two balls up and out of the zone in today's game. Not sure about his plate discipline.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I don't mind his out at third. He was trying to get there with one out and almost made it. At AAA ball his OPS was over .800 so there is a decent chance he can hit in the majors too, though by no means is it a sure thing. I saw him swing at two balls up and out of the zone in today's game. Not sure about his plate discipline.

Exactly, but remember Snyder also swung at a horrible pitch, hung in and almost hit a Grand Slam and actually won the game for us.  Pede made two or three similar mistakes on the base paths tonight and nobody is ragging on him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Snyder's bases clearing double is probably a slam in most parks. I'm good with keeping Snyder at third  at least until Drew gets off the DL or until Drew is traded. For third being a secondary position he looked at home playing there.

Having other MLB experience shows--he was very comfortable in the post game show.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Snyder is the Ciriaco of 2013. 

He is making the fast first impression that will make several claim he is a hidden gem and the answer all along, but if he manages to last until 2014, his faults will show.  And those who felt he was a late bloomer will suddenly deny ever having had that initial love...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Let's not forget that he once was a 13th overall pick.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to notin's comment:

He is making the fast first impression that will make several claim he is a hidden gem and the answer all along, but if he manages to last until 2014, his faults will show.  And those who felt he was a late bloomer will suddenly deny ever having had that initial love...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

Notin - Mr Positive....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

meanwhile down 95 south Middie is regaining his swing and is tearing the cover off the ball. I do like snyder however, that said, a healthy hard hitting will middlebrooks definately puts a big smile on my face. iggy goes back to his natural position and boy oh boy have we got us an infield.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

meanwhile down 95 south Middie is regaining his swing and is tearing the cover off the ball. I do like snyder however, that said, a healthy hard hitting will middlebrooks definately puts a big smile on my face. iggy goes back to his natural position and boy oh boy have we got us an infield.

I agree Hammah.  I was really thinking Middie would have a great season and thought the whole 'sophomore slump' stuff was garbage....guess I was WRONG!!  If Middie can come around then I too am liking the infield.  I will say though that Middie may be down in AAA longer than a lot of us may think.  I really think the Sox 'brass' wants to see him keep it up for a while.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

-Shel Silverstein

I was going to post without reading and call him the 2013 Ciarco as well.  The thing is a lot of fans don't closely follow prospects.  While many of us see what they do in the minors, see their scouting reports, see their holes and see what other players with their profiles do.  So we aren't surprised when they have short term success and when they flame out. There's nothing wrong with not having that kind of knowledge and I don't think I'm a better fan because of it rather it's just a personal preference to follow these types of kids more I guess. 

It is true you canno't scout everyone and every once in a blue moon a Daniel Nava will come around.  But the odds are stacked against a guy like Snyder being an everyday contributor at the MLB level for a 162 game season.

It's fun to watch what he is doing and we can all cheer for him but just don't fall in love with this guy I guess is what my message would be to the board. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

6-25 isnt exactly tearing the cover off the ball. Id leave him there for a while and let him really work on his terrible approach. This team has the depth to cover for him.

IRT Snyder. Hes been a 700-750 OPS guy throughout his MiL career. Hes still young and def has some "pop" in his bat. In his post game interview he said after he K'd he went back to the cage to work on some things. I like that. It paid off. He's had a good couple games. No more, no less.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Could be the surprise of the year and is slowly becomming a fan favorite after Middy's dissapointing start.  Small sample size but you got to love the guy so far.

Will be a surprise after about 20-30 games under his belt.  A game or two does not make him Wade Boggs. The fans can love you then next minute hate you...... Does the great Will Middlebrooks ring a fan favorite bell?? Bradley jr ring that same bell... Ding ding ding......Surprise of the year?? Could be? Until M.Young comes on board.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

-Shel Silverstein

I am not counting on Snyder being the next Daniel Nava. However, just because we had a clunker in Ciriaco does not mean that everyone who comes up is going to be just like him. Like other players its going to take at least 200 ABs before we can begin to make a judgement about their hitting prowess or lack thereof.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree Hammah.  I was really thinking Middie would have a great season and thought the whole 'sophomore slump' stuff was garbage....guess I was WRONG!!  If Middie can come around then I too am liking the infield.  I will say though that Middie may be down in AAA longer than a lot of us may think.  I really think the Sox 'brass' wants to see him keep it up for a while.

[/QUOTE]
    could be Kingface. possible return after the all star break maybe eh? time will tell. Here's hoping that Jonny lester can repeat what Lack did last nite.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Let's not forget that he once was a 13th overall pick.  

He hasn't shown any power w/ either Balt. ( who drafted him in '05 ) or Tex. Not sure if he's had any significant injuries during that time. He's been blocked though. I guess if you are drafted as a 1b man, you need to show power in a hurry? He batted .300 in his first 10 games for the O's, .277 for 65 PA for Tex. Again, blocked Everywhere he went. For a 13th over pick who now can play 1B, 3B, OF, & of course DH. Extremely Low risk, possible high reward If Sox give him a chance This year or next. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

6-25 isnt exactly tearing the cover off the ball. Id leave him there for a while and let him really work on his terrible approach. This team has the depth to cover for him.

IRT Snyder. Hes been a 700-750 OPS guy throughout his MiL career. Hes still young and def has some "pop" in his bat. In his post game interview he said after he K'd he went back to the cage to work on some things. I like that. It paid off. He's had a good couple games. No more, no less.

[/QUOTE]

He is 11 for 48 (.262) with an OPS of .902. Pretty encouraging. Still, I would leave him down there for another several weeks at least so he can continue to work on his swing and get some intensive coaching and an attitude adjustment (he doesn't need to swing for a HR every time up).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

-Shel Silverstein

I am not counting on Snyder being the next Daniel Nava. However, just because we had a clunker in Ciriaco does not mean that everyone who comes up is going to be just like him. Like other players its going to take at least 200 ABs before we can begin to make a judgement about their hitting prowess or lack thereof.

[/QUOTE]

You’re really just affirming my point.  200ABs?

Last year, many, many were on the Ciriaco bandwagon, proclaiming him to be the future at shortstop well beyond 2012.  Have we all forgotten that already?

Ciriaco was what he was.  A hacker with some defensive skills and versatility who could run well, but was really only riding out a hot streak at the MLB level, and sooner or later, it was going to catch up with him.  And it did.

This year, suddenly Snyder might be “the future”, and those reserving judgment people think he needs at least 200 Abs to be properly evaluated.  200ABs?  Really?   When does a small sample size stop being small?  I think of 200ABs as maybe 2 months work.  In 200ABs, every hit is worth .005 points.   So 4 or 5  weak grounders or Texas Leaguers that find dirt, and suddenly a .250 hitter is batting .275.

This is poignant especially for those who are making the same mistake they did with Ciriaco, namely ignoring his minor league career, which in this case includes an excess of THREE THOUSAND plate appearances.    He certainly was not awful for that time, but that extremely large sample size should NEVER be ignored.  He was a lot of “meh” for many years against worse pitching.  He is not suddenly going to excel against good pitching.   Even Daniel Nava did very well against minor league pitching, and the big question mark with him was whether or not he really aged out of certain levels.   Just because a player makes a great first impression does not mean it is sustainable (see Francoeur, Jeff).   

Look at the ultimate example of minor league mediocrity who made a great first impression  - Shane Spencer.  The guy EXPLODED into MLB as an over-aged rookie who suddenly morphed in Cooperstown material for ONE MONTH.  In his debut month, Spencer  hit 10 HRs in ONLY 73 at-bats!!  And had a ludicrous 1.321 OPS!! Did he live up to that?  Or did he revert to being a mediocre player for the remaining 5 years of his MLB career, a span in one season where he topped the home run total of his first month  (and that time it took a lot more  than 73 at-bats).  The rest of his career also saw his OPS nearly cut in half, falling to a much more rational .730.

Snyder is what he is – a stopgap solution who can hopefully go on a hot streak and do some damage.  But do not look for him as more than that.  His ceiling is “bench bat,” and it is OK to accept him as one.  After all, falling in love with him now will only lead to hating him later…

Sections
Shortcuts