Snyder a surprise and still only 26

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Snyder a surprise and still only 26

In response to notin's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Snyder is the Ciriaco of 2013. 

He is making the fast first impression that will make several claim he is a hidden gem and the answer all along, but if he manages to last until 2014, his faults will show.  And those who felt he was a late bloomer will suddenly deny ever having had that initial love...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

I am not counting on Snyder being the next Daniel Nava. However, just because we had a clunker in Ciriaco does not mean that everyone who comes up is going to be just like him. Like other players its going to take at least 200 ABs before we can begin to make a judgement about their hitting prowess or lack thereof.

You’re really just affirming my point.  200ABs?

Last year, many, many were on the Ciriaco bandwagon, proclaiming him to be the future at shortstop well beyond 2012.  Have we all forgotten that already?

Ciriaco was what he was.  A hacker with some defensive skills and versatility who could run well, but was really only riding out a hot streak at the MLB level, and sooner or later, it was going to catch up with him.  And it did.

This year, suddenly Snyder might be “the future”, and those reserving judgment people think he needs at least 200 Abs to be properly evaluated.  200ABs?  Really?   When does a small sample size stop being small?  I think of 200ABs as maybe 2 months work.  In 200ABs, every hit is worth .005 points.   So 4 or 5  weak grounders or Texas Leaguers that find dirt, and suddenly a .250 hitter is batting .275.

This is poignant especially for those who are making the same mistake they did with Ciriaco, namely ignoring his minor league career, which in this case includes an excess of THREE THOUSAND plate appearances.    He certainly was not awful for that time, but that extremely large sample size should NEVER be ignored.  He was a lot of “meh” for many years against worse pitching.  He is not suddenly going to excel against good pitching.   Even Daniel Nava did very well against minor league pitching, and the big question mark with him was whether or not he really aged out of certain levels.   Just because a player makes a great first impression does not mean it is sustainable (see Francoeur, Jeff).   

Look at the ultimate example of minor league mediocrity who made a great first impression  - Shane Spencer.  The guy EXPLODED into MLB as an over-aged rookie who suddenly morphed in Cooperstown material for ONE MONTH.  In his debut month, Spencer  hit 10 HRs in ONLY 73 at-bats!!  And had a ludicrous 1.321 OPS!! Did he live up to that?  Or did he revert to being a mediocre player for the remaining 5 years of his MLB career, a span in one season where he topped the home run total of his first month  (and that time it took a lot more  than 73 at-bats).  The rest of his career also saw his OPS nearly cut in half, falling to a much more rational .730.

Snyder is what he is – a stopgap solution who can hopefully go on a hot streak and do some damage.  But do not look for him as more than that.  His ceiling is “bench bat,” and it is OK to accept him as one.  After all, falling in love with him now will only lead to hating him later…

Last year, many, many were on the Ciriaco bandwagon, proclaiming him to be the future at shortstop well beyond 2012.  Have we all forgotten that already?  Ciriaco was clearly the better hitter last season and Iggy "although he has surprised us" will come down to earth.  So its all about what a player has done for us recently.

Ciriaco was what he was.  A hacker with some defensive skills and versatility who could run well, but was really only riding out a hot streak at the MLB level, and sooner or later, it was going to catch up with him.  And it did.  Again he gave us clutch hits and solid defense last season.

This year, suddenly Snyder might be “the future”, and those reserving judgment people think he needs at least 200 Abs to be properly evaluated.  200ABs?  Really?   When does a small sample size stop being small?  I think of 200ABs as maybe 2 months work.  In 200ABs, every hit is worth .005 points.   So 4 or 5  weak grounders or Texas Leaguers that find dirt, and suddenly a .250 hitter is batting .275.  Again, its all about what a player is doing for us now.  Look how many were on the Middy bandwagon last season.

This is poignant especially for those who are making the same mistake they did with Ciriaco, namely ignoring his minor league career, which in this case includes an excess of THREE THOUSAND plate appearances.   Iggy wasn't exactly a superstar at the minor league level.  Again we all know you hate Ciriaco but enough already.

Even Daniel Nava did very well against minor league pitching, and the big question mark with him was whether or not he really aged out of certain levels.   Just because a player makes a great first impression does not mean it is sustainable.  Very true as with Iggy, Middy and Nava until this season.

Snyder is what he is – a stopgap solution who can hopefully go on a hot streak and do some damage.  But do not look for him as more than that.  His ceiling is “bench bat,” and it is OK to accept him as one.  After all, falling in love with him now will only lead to hating him later… So again its all about what a player has done for us recently.  Snyder and Iggy have done well while Middy "last years gem" has been sent to the minors.

You never know who will play well from year to year but at least appreciate what a player did do when others fail.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

What Snyder is doing is awesome but it's pretty obvious he has no future in Boston, nor any MLB team as a permanent starter.

He is however the perfect example of how fans don't understand talent, prospects, and they never learn from the past.  History may not repeat itself....but it rhymes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

And it's not that we can't appreciate what these players do when they fill in, it's just disheartening that their are fans out he that actually think these guys are the future.  Is it possible? Yes we don't have a crystall ball it it's extremely highly insanely unlikely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

[QUOTE]

meanwhile down 95 south Middie is regaining his swing and is tearing the cover off the ball. I do like snyder however, that said, a healthy hard hitting will middlebrooks definately puts a big smile on my face. iggy goes back to his natural position and boy oh boy have we got us an infield.

6-25 isnt exactly tearing the cover off the ball. Id leave him there for a while and let him really work on his terrible approach. This team has the depth to cover for him.

IRT Snyder. Hes been a 700-750 OPS guy throughout his MiL career. Hes still young and def has some "pop" in his bat. In his post game interview he said after he K'd he went back to the cage to work on some things. I like that. It paid off. He's had a good couple games. No more, no less.

[/QUOTE]

He is 11 for 48 (.262) with an OPS of .902. Pretty encouraging. Still, I would leave him down there for another several weeks at least so he can continue to work on his swing and get some intensive coaching and an attitude adjustment (he doesn't need to swing for a HR every time up).

[/QUOTE]

I was talking about this last time he was sent down, not including the time before. After I posted this he went 4-5 with 2HR and 8 RBI....262 in AAA is just Meh anyway...It was all SLG. Id rather the OBP be higher and he be more consistent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

What Snyder is doing is awesome but it's pretty obvious he has no future in Boston, nor any MLB team as a permanent starter.

He is however the perfect example of how fans don't understand talent, prospects, and they never learn from the past.  History may not repeat itself....but it rhymes.

I like that.  Can I use it?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Snyder is the Ciriaco of 2013. 

He is making the fast first impression that will make several claim he is a hidden gem and the answer all along, but if he manages to last until 2014, his faults will show.  And those who felt he was a late bloomer will suddenly deny ever having had that initial love...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

I am not counting on Snyder being the next Daniel Nava. However, just because we had a clunker in Ciriaco does not mean that everyone who comes up is going to be just like him. Like other players its going to take at least 200 ABs before we can begin to make a judgement about their hitting prowess or lack thereof.

Last year, many, many were on the Ciriaco bandwagon, proclaiming him to be the future at shortstop well beyond 2012.  Have we all forgotten that already?

Ciriaco was what he was.  A hacker with some defensive skills and versatility who could run well, but was really only riding out a hot streak at the MLB level, and sooner or later, it was going to catch up with him.  And it did.

This year, suddenly Snyder might be “the future”, and those reserving judgment people think he needs at least 200 Abs to be properly evaluated.  200ABs?  Really?   When does a small sample size stop being small?  I think of 200ABs as maybe 2 months work.  In 200ABs, every hit is worth .005 points.   So 4 or 5  weak grounders or Texas Leaguers that find dirt, and suddenly a .250 hitter is batting .275.

This is poignant especially for those who are making the same mistake they did with Ciriaco, namely ignoring his minor league career, which in this case includes an excess of THREE THOUSAND plate appearances.    He certainly was not awful for that time, but that extremely large sample size should NEVER be ignored.  He was a lot of “meh” for many years against worse pitching.  He is not suddenly going to excel against good pitching.   Even Daniel Nava did very well against minor league pitching, and the big question mark with him was whether or not he really aged out of certain levels.   Just because a player makes a great first impression does not mean it is sustainable (see Francoeur, Jeff).   

Look at the ultimate example of minor league mediocrity who made a great first impression  - Shane Spencer.  The guy EXPLODED into MLB as an over-aged rookie who suddenly morphed in Cooperstown material for ONE MONTH.  In his debut month, Spencer  hit 10 HRs in ONLY 73 at-bats!!  And had a ludicrous 1.321 OPS!! Did he live up to that?  Or did he revert to being a mediocre player for the remaining 5 years of his MLB career, a span in one season where he topped the home run total of his first month  (and that time it took a lot more  than 73 at-bats).  The rest of his career also saw his OPS nearly cut in half, falling to a much more rational .730.

Snyder is what he is – a stopgap solution who can hopefully go on a hot streak and do some damage.  But do not look for him as more than that.  His ceiling is “bench bat,” and it is OK to accept him as one.  After all, falling in love with him now will only lead to hating him later…

Last year, many, many were on the Ciriaco bandwagon, proclaiming him to be the future at shortstop well beyond 2012.  Have we all forgotten that already?  Ciriaco was clearly the better hitter last season and Iggy "although he has surprised us" will come down to earth.  So its all about what a player has done for us recently.

Ciriaco was what he was.  A hacker with some defensive skills and versatility who could run well, but was really only riding out a hot streak at the MLB level, and sooner or later, it was going to catch up with him.  And it did.  Again he gave us clutch hits and solid defense last season.

This year, suddenly Snyder might be “the future”, and those reserving judgment people think he needs at least 200 Abs to be properly evaluated.  200ABs?  Really?   When does a small sample size stop being small?  I think of 200ABs as maybe 2 months work.  In 200ABs, every hit is worth .005 points.   So 4 or 5  weak grounders or Texas Leaguers that find dirt, and suddenly a .250 hitter is batting .275.  Again, its all about what a player is doing for us now.  Look how many were on the Middy bandwagon last season.

This is poignant especially for those who are making the same mistake they did with Ciriaco, namely ignoring his minor league career, which in this case includes an excess of THREE THOUSAND plate appearances.   Iggy wasn't exactly a superstar at the minor league level.  Again we all know you hate Ciriaco but enough already.

Even Daniel Nava did very well against minor league pitching, and the big question mark with him was whether or not he really aged out of certain levels.   Just because a player makes a great first impression does not mean it is sustainable.  Very true as with Iggy, Middy and Nava until this season.

Snyder is what he is – a stopgap solution who can hopefully go on a hot streak and do some damage.  But do not look for him as more than that.  His ceiling is “bench bat,” and it is OK to accept him as one.  After all, falling in love with him now will only lead to hating him later… So again its all about what a player has done for us recently.  Snyder and Iggy have done well while Middy "last years gem" has been sent to the minors.

You never know who will play well from year to year but at least appreciate what a player did do when others fail.

See, craze, the problem is not appreciating these guys for whta they do today.  Even when Ciriaco was on his hot streak, I was repeatedly saying let him ride it out/.  The problem is, players get like this, and suddently fans ignore reality, ignore history, and ignore their own memories as they have seen it all befoer.  This is THE GUY!!

Even Nick Green had his admireers for a while.  To thwe credit of guys like Green, Ciriaco, and Snyder, each has at one time or another, proven himself to be among the best 750 baseball players on the planet and secured an MLB roster spot.  This is no small feat.  It does take an insane amount of talent to get hat far, something a lot of fans often forget, overlook, and fail to comprehend.  (I'm sure even I am understating it in my attempt to point out how often it i understated.)

However, these guys are really not long term options, as they have repeatedly shown in the past.  With Ciriaco, you repeatedly called him a player who excelled in the face of greater competition.  The problem is, that is calling him baseball's answer to Bigfoot.  That kind of player dioes not exist and never will.  Citing Iglesias as proof positive the other way really shows you have fallen into the same trap twice.  Iglesias is not going to hit .400 all year, and probably never over .300 again.  With him, I could not care.  I wanted Iglesias at SS LAST year under Valentine (and figured Valentine to not miss obvious Rey Ordonez comparisons), as Iglesias was never signed to hit anyway.

But Iglesias, unlike Ciriaco, Snyder, Spencer, Green, and many, many others, really does not have an extensive minor league career filled with "meh."  He has been unimpressive in MiLB as a hitter, but not for 3,000 plate appearances.  He is not in the same league.

Enjoy guys like Ciriaco, Snyder, etc. for what they are - short term solutions.  Let them ride out thtier hot streaks.  But they are baseball's snake oil, and don't try to sell them to anyone as anything else.

(And I was never a big Middlebrooks fan.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

[QUOTE]

Could be the surprise of the year and is slowly becomming a fan favorite after Middy's dissapointing start.  Small sample size but you got to love the guy so far.

Will be a surprise after about 20-30 games under his belt.  A game or two does not make him Wade Boggs. The fans can love you then next minute hate you...... Does the great Will Middlebrooks ring a fan favorite bell?? Bradley jr ring that same bell... Ding ding ding......Surprise of the year?? Could be? Until M.Young comes on board.....

[/QUOTE]

Michael Young is not needed.

Sections
Shortcuts