SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$......

HOW DO YOU LIKE  THEO & TITO NOW ???  WHAT SAY YOU, SPORT ?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

Re: SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$......

In Response to SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$......:
       HOW DO YOU LIKE  THEO & TITO NOW ???  WHAT SAY YOU, SPORT ?????
    Posted by Bill-806

I was actually going to start a similar thread, so might as well participate.  I'm one who feels both of these guys are very good at what they do. Not perfect, as no one ever is, but the successes outweigh the failures.  It would be interesting to hear some opinions at this stage of the game, especially from a sampling of the detractors  (ie. those who frequent the use of the word "coma"), who seem to become rare during the good times.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$......

In Response to Re: SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$......:
    [QUOTE]In Response to SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$...... : I was actually going to start a similar thread, so might as well participate.  I'm one who feels both of these guys are very good at what they do. Not perfect, as no one ever is, but the successes outweigh the failures.  It would be interesting to hear some opinions at this stage of the game, especially from a sampling of the detractors  (ie. those who frequent the use of the word "coma"), who seem to become rare during the good times.
    Posted by piersall[/QUOTE]  GOOOOD POST JIMMY ( I USED TO WATCH YOU PLAY & I ALWAYS ENJOYED YOUR MOVIE).......  NO, WE WON'T BE HEARING FROM THE CRYBABYS TODAY.......  BTW/ GREAT MINDS SEE THE SAME THINGS !!    ENJOY !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

I like em fine. 

But then again, always have...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

Silence is golden...
    but my eyes' still see.

Silence is golden,
    golden.
    But my eyes' still see.
    But my eyes' still see.
    But my eyes' still see.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Discussion( to debate, to examine in detail, or by argument) So what your premise is,  that we should not discuss the trials and tribulations of our beloved Red Sox. We should only extoll their virtues, never criticise, never question, never suggest any possible negative inferences about the running of the franchise. Gee that would be a very interesting forum.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$......:
    [QUOTE]Discussion( to debate, to examine in detail, or by argument) So what your premise is,  that we should not discuss the trials and tribulations of our beloved Red Sox. We should only extoll their virtues, never criticise, never question, never suggest any possible negative inferences about the running of the franchise. Gee that would be a very interesting forum.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]  NO NOT AT ALL.......  WHEN THEY SCREW UP, I GO AFTER THEM AS MUCH AS I CHEER WHEN THEY DO WELL !!!  HOWEVER, THERE COMES A TIME WHEN THE "CRY BABY'S NEED TO STEP UP AND GIVE CREDIT WHEN CREDIT IS DUE !!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

Discussion( to debate, to examine in detail, or by argument) So what your premise is,  that we should not discuss the trials and tribulations of our beloved Red Sox. We should only extoll their virtues, never criticise, never question, never suggest any possible negative inferences about the running of the franchise. Gee that would be a very interesting forum.
    Posted by aussiewill

Never heard anyone suggest that.  Bill might have been alluding to the "coma" type stuff.  I was.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Silence is golden... but my eyes' still see. Silence is golden, golden. But my eyes' still see. But my eyes' still see. But my eyes' still see.
    Posted by piersall[/QUOTE]   I LOVE THAT SONG !!!!   CIRCA 1966  !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pierreisme. Show pierreisme's posts

[QUOTE]Discussion( to debate, to examine in detail, or by argument) So what your premise is,  that we should not discuss the trials and tribulations of our beloved Red Sox. We should only extoll their virtues, never criticise, never question, never suggest any possible negative inferences about the running of the franchise. Gee that would be a very interesting forum.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

I think you are missing the point of this discussion. The fans that harp on the negative and immediately call for the firing of Theo and Tito are nowhere to be found when things are going well.
    They have it in their mind that every move they would make regarding trades would work because the other team's gm would gladly give them what they want and accept inferior players in return.
    They also have it in their mind that all the moves they make in a game would work and they know so much more about baseball than Francona does.
    Those know it all fans are the ones who are being ridiculed by this post. Not the ones who bring up legitimate questions of some bad moves made by Mr. Epstein and Mr. Francona.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

There are constructive comments and then there are others. Take for example, Lester's last outing against the CWS. 7 earned runs in 5.2, is Lester a lousy pitcher, or was he just having a bad day? We know the answer to that one. But did Tito, he left him in there getting pounded running his ERA up, Era's are important to a pitcher by the way. Mr nice guy should have pulled him , for Lester's sake.  Point being everyone has a bad day, both Lester and Francona had a bad day that game. 
    Does that make Francona a bad manager, of course not, he is the best big game manager in MLB today, he is two different managers, The one who throws a game away two or three times a year, and the one who makes all the right moves in the playoffs, or crucial games. That is the big difference between Tito and Grady Little who he replaced. Little , nice guy , lousy manager in big games.

But criticise Tito, I wouldn't dare  or let's say I don't bother anymore , not in this forum where you get exorcised for any legitimate critical comments about the Sox management.

Idiots who call Tim Wakefield, wastefield, now there is a guy who should be called out. Guys who cal Lackey , slackey , slackluster. Now they are entitled to their opinion. In my opinion Lackey was bad signing, also I think Crawford was a mistake, but that is my opinion, I don't need to be called out for expressing my opinion.

Contrary, I thought Beckett was history last year, man was I wrong, and I admit it. I thought Cameron was a waste of time, jury is still out there, Bobby Jenks , hasn't pitched well since 08 , why two years 12 million dollars ?  Salty , wrong on Salty , I thought he was never going to live up to the hype, he looks like a bargain now.

Theo wins some , Theo loses some. Is it fair to comment on his loses? That's what baseball fans do. Some people need to lighten up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I don't really believe in giving credit for doing what is expected. I feel that those who feel the need to credit Francona, for doing what he's well paid to do, must be surprised to see him not mismanaging games.  This current winning spree by the Sox has been, for the most part, blowouts. It's pretty hard for him to mismanage games that are being won by large margins. I was surprised that he let Beckett finish his game. I was initially upset when he removed Buchholz the other night. When I heard that Buch had a stiff lower back, I understood the move. Having said that, it was certainly not a move that any high school baseball coach wouldn't make. Nothing genius about it, it's what he's paid to do.
    Replacing a sick player or an injured one with a bench player doesn't take deep thought. In my opinion, he's fine as a manager as long as he's not required to actually manage a game.
    I've never criticized Theo, I believe he has earned his salary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

[QUOTE]I don't really believe in giving credit for doing what is expected. I feel that those who feel the need to credit Francona, for doing what he's well paid to do, must be surprised to see him not mismanaging games.  This current winning spree by the Sox has been, for the most part, blowouts. It's pretty hard for him to mismanage games that are being won by large margins. I was surprised that he let Beckett finish his game. I was initially upset when he removed Buchholz the other night. When I heard that Buch had a stiff lower back, I understood the move. Having said that, it was certainly not a move that any high school baseball coach wouldn't make. Nothing genius about it, it's what he's paid to do. Replacing a sick player or an injured one with a bench player doesn't take deep thought. In my opinion, he's fine as a manager as long as he's not required to actually manage a game. I've never criticized Theo, I believe he has earned his salary.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

Your right on all accounts, that is what he is paid to do, but he has more success than most other managers, all in fact. That however is most likely because he has the most talent to work with, Still he has to keep harmony, which he does to a fault, at times.

The issue isn't whether Theo earns his paycheck, again he is successful, because he signs great players, he has a big checking account, give that account to Billy Beane in Oakland, how would he do? Theo has to produce results, and he does. He also makes mistakes, like everyone else. Fortunately he makes a lot of good deals and very few  bad deals.

You never hear about any desention in the front office. No one criticises Theo, Luccino, Henry , no one. Could you imagine George Steinbrenner being quiet like the Red Sox owners . LOL  Don't think so. They hold all their cards close to the vest. Very impressive. Thank God Frank McCourt didn't buy the Red Sox. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Didn't the author this thread play GM several times when saying Wake should retire or be cut, and starting several threads talking about "what moves needed to be made"?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

First: 6/3/2008
    Last: 6/18/2011
    I don't really believe in giving credit for doing what is expected.

We've heard this song from you before, and it's expected.  I repeat, with your philosophy, why cheer hitters for a hit?  That's what they're paid to do.  Why cheer a pitcher for a K?  That's what he's paid to do.  Parks would be quiet with your approach.  Your vision of a manager is limited. You should be one, given that there's about 30 of them out there that are abject failures, not doing what they're paid to do. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" I've never criticized Theo, I believe he has earned his salary."

Yeah, you're one of those dreaded "boogeyman" posters who singles out one target for all of your frustrations. In your case, Tito. But Theo can do nothing wrong in your eyes. In reality, credit for success and blame for failure is much more nuanced, with each party carrying their share of blame and criticism. Theo has done plenty of things that deserve criticism, and praise as well. Same goes for Francona. But you'd rather run Francona up on a stick, which is why I have you on ignore. But, I got a preview of some of your latest "thinking" in another replay, and I see you haven't evolved.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Didn't the author this thread play GM several times when saying Wake should retire or be cut, and starting several threads talking about "what moves needed to be made"?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]  YES I DID.... AND I STAND BEHIND MY THREADS/THOUGHTS....... I ALSO, RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE MY MIND AT ANY TIME, THANK YOU !!!!   WAKE IS STILL DANGEROUS, TO BOTH TEAMS.....  KEEP HIM ON A SHORT STRING !!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]"  I've never criticized Theo, I believe he has earned his salary." Yeah, you're one of those dreaded "boogeyman" posters who singles out one target for all of your frustrations. In your case, Tito. But Theo can do nothing wrong in your eyes. In reality, credit for success and blame for failure is much more nuanced, with each party carrying their share of blame and criticism. Theo has done plenty of things that deserve criticism, and praise as well. Same goes for Francona. But you'd rather run Francona up on a stick, which is why I have you on ignore. But, I got a preview of some of your latest "thinking" in another replay, and I see you haven't evolved.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]
    Based on what I've seen of Theo's successes, I feel he's an above average G.M. In Francona's case, I have no doubts about his managerial abilities. I'm absolutely positive that he is a below average, in game, manager.
    As far as his ability to keep harmony in the clubhouse, Dr. Phil could do that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$...... : Based on what I've seen of Theo's successes, I feel he's an above average G.M. In Francona's case, I have no doubts about his managerial abilities. I'm absolutely positive that he is a below average, in game, manager. As far as his ability to keep harmony in the clubhouse, Dr. Phil could do that.

The one-trick pony act just never gets old.  Thanks for letting us know you don't like Francona.  We would have never guessed that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$...... : The one-trick pony act just never gets old.  Thanks for letting us know you don't like Francona.  We would have never guessed that.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]
    I don't know Francona well enough to say whether I like or dislike him. He seems like a pretty good guy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$...... : I don't know Francona well enough to say whether I like or dislike him. He seems like a pretty good guy.

That's funny.  I thought he must have accidently run over your dog for as much time as you spend bashing him.  The fact is he is the manager.  As long as he doesn't lose the players and the Sox continue to be one of the better teams, he will remain as the manager.  So, you are wasting your energy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$...... : Based on what I've seen of Theo's successes, I feel he's an above average G.M. In Francona's case, I have no doubts about his managerial abilities. I'm absolutely positive that he is a below average, in game, manager. As far as his ability to keep harmony in the clubhouse, Dr. Phil could do that.

The crowd treated Padres first base coach Dave Roberts to a hearty ovation. Red Sox fans have not forgotten his historic ninth-inning stolen base in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS against the Yankees.

“If it weren’t for Dave, you’d be talking to somebody else,’’ said manager Terry Francona, who pinch ran Roberts for Kevin Millar.

Just a subtle reminder of a nugget of "in game management" by Tito that had  a bit of significance to this fan of 60+ years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]There are constructive comments and then there are others. Take for example, Lester's last outing against the CWS. 7 earned runs in 5.2, is Lester a lousy pitcher, or was he just having a bad day? We know the answer to that one. But did Tito, he left him in there getting pounded running his ERA up, Era's are important to a pitcher by the way. Mr nice guy should have pulled him , for Lester's sake.  Point being everyone has a bad day, both Lester and Francona had a bad day that game.  Does that make Francona a bad manager, of course not, he is the best big game manager in MLB today, he is two different managers, The one who throws a game away two or three times a year, and the one who makes all the right moves in the playoffs, or crucial games. That is the big difference between Tito and Grady Little who he replaced. Little , nice guy , lousy manager in big games. But criticise Tito, I wouldn't dare  or let's say I don't bother anymore , not in this forum where you get exorcised for any legitimate critical comments about the Sox management. Idiots who call Tim Wakefield, wastefield, now there is a guy who should be called out. Guys who cal Lackey , slackey , slackluster. Now they are entitled to their opinion. In my opinion Lackey was bad signing, also I think Crawford was a mistake, but that is my opinion, I don't need to be called out for expressing my opinion. Contrary, I thought Beckett was history last year, man was I wrong, and I admit it. I thought Cameron was a waste of time, jury is still out there, Bobby Jenks , hasn't pitched well since 08 , why two years 12 million dollars ?  Salty , wrong on Salty , I thought he was never going to live up to the hype, he looks like a bargain now. Theo wins some , Theo loses some. Is it fair to comment on his loses? That's what baseball fans do. Some people need to lighten up.
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

I believe all this is directed to those who JUST COMPLAIN and FIND THINGS to complain about..Also the ones who use those infantile names ie; Francoma, slackey, wastefield...I agree that lesters record does not equal his performance this year..I liked the CC signing, just not the $$$..Never cared for lackey..A discussion can be had as long as there is a logical, and/or fact based point being made...Just articulate your point and it will be discussed..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The record is skipping again..can someone please make it stop...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SO, ALL YOU T-BALLING GM's & MANAGERS, AT 42-27, 2.5 ABOVE DREADED YANK$$$...... : The crowd treated Padres first base coach Dave Roberts to a hearty ovation. Red Sox fans have not forgotten his historic ninth-inning stolen base in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS against the Yankees . “If it weren’t for Dave, you’d be talking to somebody else,’’ said manager Terry Francona , who pinch ran Roberts for Kevin Millar . Just a subtle reminder of a nugget of "in game management" by Tito that had  a bit of significance to this fan of 60+ years.
    Posted by piersall[/QUOTE]
    Name me one other manager or coach that wouldn't have sent Roberts in to run for Millar. Just one. Even if it's a little league, high school, slow pitch softball or even a soccer coach. Lmao, "a nugget of in-game management". Rumor is that Francona was opposed to using Roberts at that time. His reasoning was that if he pulled a hammy, then he wouldn't be available for the rest of the playoffs. Even I question this rumor and the one that insinuates that Manny made that call while Francona was in the mens room.
     Having said that, it is conceivable that Manny did make the call, if it's conceivable that Francona is a decent major league manager.