So, Do you Drew Backers Still Think It was a good deal to sign him back in May?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

So, Do you Drew Backers Still Think It was a good deal to sign him back in May?

Most of you ripped me for ripping the Drew deal. Well guess what? Ben C dumped him for a .211 hitting

injured journeyman infielder who will probably be cut. Even Ben C realized it was an awful signing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

Re: So, Do you Drew Backers Still Think It was a good deal to sign him back in May?

Go get 'em ADG.  I have been getting abused by the as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: So, Do you Drew Backers Still Think It was a good deal to sign him back in May?

What would you have done when WMB went down??????

Don't even say Holt....because NOBODY was as high on Holt then as we are now. 

you're on the clock....what would you have done????

WWADGD!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Be impartial.  Would the Sox be anywhere different if they hadn't signed him?

They are out whatever $$$ in the interim it cost them.

Does this matter?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

WWADGD!

Middlebrooks went down May 16th.

Holt started playing May 17th.

Drew was signed on the 20th of May, didn't play until June 1.

Holt was 2 for 10 before Drew signed and 17 for 59 in the time period before Drew stepped foot.

Hugh - All I said it was a bad move at the time for a team treading water, and a waste of $10.1M. You also believe Webster is the #2 pitching prospect in the organization. He won't be. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yankees just got an above average starting short stop for next season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GumboSox. Show GumboSox's posts

Um, if we hadn't signed Drew back in May, how would we EVER have scored Kelly Johnson? #differencemaker

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

WWADGD!

Middlebrooks went down May 16th.

Holt started playing May 17th.

Drew was signed on the 20th of May, didn't play until June 1.

Holt was 2 for 10 before Drew signed and 17 for 59 in the time period before Drew stepped foot.

Hugh - All I said it was a bad move at the time for a team treading water, and a waste of $10.1M. You also believe Webster is the #2 pitching prospect in the organization. He won't be. 

1.) You still refused to answer my question.  No one perceived Holt as a starter at that point in time and he had not proven himself yet.  The question was.  When WMB went down and the Sox needed a starter as G.M. what decision would you have made for the Left side of the infield????

2.) You say I believe Webster is the #2 pitching prospect in the organization.  It's because I use my brain to google things and use scouting consensus.

here are 3 sources to back me up

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014-boston-red-sox-top-10-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014-boston-red-sox-top-10-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014-boston-red-sox-top-10-prospects/  

http://www.soxprospects.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.soxprospects.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.soxprospects.com/

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/index.jsp?c_id=bos#list=bos" rel="nofollow">http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/index.jsp?c_id=bos#list=bos" rel="nofollow">http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/index.jsp?c_id=bos#list=bos

according to every well respected scouting body HE IS THE #2 pitching prospect in our system.  THAT DOESN'T mean that out of every player in our system he will be the second best pitcher in 5 years from now.  It's ok....I don't expect you to know the difference. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Will ADG answer the original question???? My guess is a big fat NO

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't know how many times we have to go over this; hopefully never again as of today:

It wasn't about good or bad.  It was about necessity.  I have yet to hear one good idea from any of the people who have bashed the Drew signing about what should have been done in that specific situation instead.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Drew signing was a mistake. It could not be any more obvious. Those who liked it at the time will never admit it, but it was. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

it was a good idea

not sure any hard was done

that idiot cashman is picking up the tab

and now jeter isn't even the in top 3 SS on his own team

it's a blast when you think about it

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The Drew signing was a mistake. It could not be any more obvious. Those who liked it at the time will never admit it, but it was. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

again, it wasnt good or bad, just necessary.  

[object HTMLDivElement]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

It was a logical move at the time, it made sense and was justifiable.

In hindsight it was a BAD decision.

No one, or at least most of us who ADG defines as "drew backers" are saying it was a good move.  In fact we are pretty much in agreement that it was a bad move, we are just saying that this is a hindsight opinion. 

It's not so much that people are "defending" the decision as we understand why it was made, we share the enthusiasm in wanting him gone.....we just realize how pointless it was to bash the Sox for the moves because if we were G.M's we might make the same move if in the same situation.

which is why I've asked ADG what he would have done....yet he refuses to answer. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I don't know how many times we have to go over this; hopefully never again as of today:

It wasn't about good or bad.  It was about necessity.  I have yet to hear one good idea from any of the people who have bashed the Drew signing about what should have been done in that specific situation instead.

Exactly. I don't know understand why some posters like to twist things. Is there ego so fragile that they have to set up their own reality so they can argue against it.

I liked Drew last year. I thought he was the better choice at SS over Iggy, and Drew was pretty much what I expected. His year might have been even better had he not sustained the concussion in the spring, which slowed the start of his season. But I just wanted Drew for one year -- that it.

When Middlebrooks got hurt, the Sox had the need on the left side of the infield. Everybody on this thread who is ripping Drew, who was the best candidate out there that could play on the left side. No one knew Holt was going to do what he has done. 

So I UNDERSTOOD the signing. There a BIG difference between UNDERSTANDING the move and WANTING the move. WHY is that so hard for so many of you to distinguish the difference. I think most of the support of Drew was base on this -- understanding the need, rather than pushing for the signing.

I UNDERSTOOD the signing, but I still NEVER WANTED Drew this year. I would have kept Bogaerts at SS all year to give him a chance to grow into the position, and I would have found another 3B option -- maybe see if Holt could do it or some other UT player.

Going forward from now, I want Middlebrooks. He might never be anything, but I'm still drooling over the prospect that he can put up for an entire season what he did in three months in 2012 and two months last year.

If anyone wants to rip me for the left side of the IF, you have a big target in my support for Middlebrooks. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

No one, or at least most of us who ADG defines as "drew backers" are saying it was a good move.  In fact we are pretty much in agreement that it was a bad move, we are just saying that this is a hindsight opinion. 

It's not so much that people are "defending" the decision as we understand why it was made, we share the enthusiasm in wanting him gone.....we just realize how pointless it was to bash the Sox for the moves because if we were G.M's we might make the same move if in the same situation.

which is why I've asked ADG what he would have done....yet he refuses to answer. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

Even in hindsight, I am hard-pressed to call it a "bad decision".  "Bad predicament", absolutely. "Bad structuring to have no contingency plan for a Middlebrooks injury", sure.  But signing Drew at that point, as far as i can see, had nothing to do with good or bad.  It was, by my accounting "the only choice".  Not too many decent show-ready shortstops sitting around waiting for calls.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Sure glad the Sox kept him in the lineup day after day after day. It really pumped up his trade value.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

It wasn't logical for $10.1M. If it was for $4 or 5. He had no other offers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

The never-to-be-answered question, again:  what would you have done instead?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

A.) Drew reportedly had offers that he declined before his market collapsed.  One was to play 2nd for the Yankees.....who just traded for him and PUT AT 2ND!!!

B.) It's not your money

c.) It was for one year after FA so there was NO risk to affecting future free agency decisions.  Nor any luxury tax ramifications present or in the future.

D.) YOU STILL haven't answered my original question and refuse to....because you realistically have ZERO argument.  You're argument is an argument...you just want to argue.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Jeopardy theme song music...

I'm waiting for him to answer the question with another fallacy or irrelevant point in hindsight that DOESN'T answer the question. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The premise is silly he was traded because the Sox stink so they don't need a vet and are better off seeing what they have in Middlebrooks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I confess - I was one of the people hoping he did well after we signed him, rather than bashing him every day.  My bad.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I confess - I was one of the people hoping he did well after we signed him, rather than bashing him every day.  My bad.

Are you serious? You're claim to root for the Boston Red Sox and yet what do you do -- root for the players on the the Red Sox. Seriously? What kind of fan is that?

Sections
Shortcuts