So, Do you Drew Backers Still Think It was a good deal to sign him back in May?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: So, Do you Drew Backers Still Think It was a good deal to sign him back in May?

I also think the Jeter play when he goes into the stands during the same game when Nomar was either pouting, not coming in, or being held back by Tito for insubordination proved to damn Nomar's reputation, which I don't think one moment can erase 7,000 hustle plays that Nomar did over the years. There's a play that Nomar made at Anaheim that I still can't believe. A ball was hit on a shot off the 3rd baseman (forgot who), so Nomar backs up and goes to the LF line in short left and slides to retrieve the ball. He sees a guy racing home and on his knees he fires a strike, no hop to the catcher for a putout at home....ridiculously great play. Nomar took so much abuse in '04 and I hated that, and I still think he should have been praised for helping team in '03 and '99.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Re: So, Do you Drew Backers Still Think It was a good deal to sign him back in May?

In response to dannycater's comment:

I also think the Jeter play when he goes into the stands during the same game when Nomar was either pouting, not coming in, or being held back by Tito for insubordination proved to damn Nomar's reputation, which I don't think one moment can erase 7,000 hustle plays that Nomar did over the years. There's a play that Nomar made at Anaheim that I still can't believe. A ball was hit on a shot off the 3rd baseman (forgot who), so Nomar backs up and goes to the LF line in short left and slides to retrieve the ball. He sees a guy racing home and on his knees he fires a strike, no hop to the catcher for a putout at home....ridiculously great play. Nomar took so much abuse in '04 and I hated that, and I still think he should have been praised for helping team in '03 and '99.

I think it was his attitude in the club house that gave him the bad reputation.  Deserved?  I don't know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Is there a point to this nonsense?

[object HTMLDivElement]

LOL  Not really.

The point is when you morons all band together and jump all over someone because they have an unpopular opinion, there will be someone who remembers.

It's not surprising that it was lost on many people.

It's no longer fun when the people with the unpopular opinions were 100% RIGHT, is it?

So while many people all laugh and joke and poke fun at someone and are emboldened by the crowd...that's ok. But, when the tables are turned, you all suddenly take the high road.

How convenient.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to bugmenot2's comment:

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

Most of you ripped me for ripping the Drew deal. Well guess what? Ben C dumped him for a .211 hitting

injured journeyman infielder who will probably be cut. Even Ben C realized it was an awful signing.

Merloni, just yesterday on WEEI actually said "I still think, at that time, it was the right move to make." Oh my god. He's just insufferable. Even WITH the benefit of hindsight, he's too stupid/stubborn/arrogant to just admit he was wrong. And is still grasping to Drew playing well, "Well, the NYY got a good SS because now he's had his ST with the Sox. He's going to hit."

Good luck to Fauria having to share the airwaves with this dolt.

If Merloni says " at that time, it was the right move to make." then he is rightfully blocking out his hindsight. You don't have the benefit of hindsight if you pretend that you are the GM last May 20th. Comprendo?

I guess my point was, at the time, IT WAS STILL A DUMB MOVE! So to see it work out so horribly, and STILL try to say it was the right move at the time, after the time, before the time...no. Wrong. It wasn't ever a good decision. That's how I felt then. That's how I feel now. It would seem I was right on this one too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

still waiting for ADG'S response.....captain hindsight can start up threads ABOUT ME, but he can't even come in here and answer for his crimes!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I was out front early calling it a terrible signing, made simply because it was a convenient move to make. It may well have adversely effected Xander , who I still say could be our SS of the future. No hindsight judgement here...I said it from day 1.

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to bugmenot2's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

Most of you ripped me for ripping the Drew deal. Well guess what? Ben C dumped him for a .211 hitting

injured journeyman infielder who will probably be cut. Even Ben C realized it was an awful signing.

Merloni, just yesterday on WEEI actually said "I still think, at that time, it was the right move to make." Oh my god. He's just insufferable. Even WITH the benefit of hindsight, he's too stupid/stubborn/arrogant to just admit he was wrong. And is still grasping to Drew playing well, "Well, the NYY got a good SS because now he's had his ST with the Sox. He's going to hit."

Good luck to Fauria having to share the airwaves with this dolt.

If Merloni says " at that time, it was the right move to make." then he is rightfully blocking out his hindsight. You don't have the benefit of hindsight if you pretend that you are the GM last May 20th. Comprendo?

I guess my point was, at the time, IT WAS STILL A DUMB MOVE! So to see it work out so horribly, and STILL try to say it was the right move at the time, after the time, before the time...no. Wrong. It wasn't ever a good decision. That's how I felt then. That's how I feel now. It would seem I was right on this one too.

It actually was a good decision, but not every good decision works out.  I don't get why that is so difficult to grasp.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

ben admitted it was a terrible move that worked out totally wrong...what is there to debate? 

As always - 100% correct!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I am usually inclined to go along with the FO under the assumption they know more.  In this case it was a stretch because I believed like everyone else the Sox needed a bat not a glove.  But I stand by what I said earlier:  griping about the Drew acquisition is pointless.  He didn't solve our hitting problems, but also did not exacerbate them.  The OP is making a mountain out of a molehill.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

ben admitted it was a terrible move that worked out totally wrong...what is there to debate? 

As always - 100% correct!

The debate is what move SHOULD have been made?

a question no one seems to be capable of answering.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

ADG = A disappearing guy.

Sections
Shortcuts