SO, DOWN 6-ZIP.... DIFFERENCE BEING, AT OFFENSE THAT IS NOT AGAINST MIXING SMALL WITH A STRONG OFFENSE

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: SO, DOWN 6-ZIP.... DIFFERENCE BEING, AT OFFENSE THAT IS NOT AGAINST MIXING SMALL WITH A STRONG OFFENSE

What game are you watching?  In the one I'm watching Miller walked the first two batters of the game and then balked them to 2d and 3d.  The next better, Young, swung away and hit a grounder that Lowrie botched but the scorekeeper called a single, scoring run #1.  Then Hamilton struck out, but the next batter, Beltre, hit a sacrifice fly to score run #2.  No small ball whatsoever in the 1st.  In the second, Miller gave up a three run dinger, which is the direct opposite of small ball.  Then he loaded the bases up and Bowden came in. 

As for the Sox, they don't have any offense, period.  No small ball or long ball. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: SO, DOWN 6-ZIP.... DIFFERENCE BEING, AT OFFENSE THAT IS NOT AGAINST MIXING SMALL WITH A STRONG OFFENSE

Sox players do not swing for the downs on every pitch.  Ortiz and Pedroia swing the hardest, but both often swing less hard on outside pitches in order to punch them to the opposite field. 

The Sox lost because the Texas starter was throwing great and Miller was throwing lousy. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Hey, dipstick, did you just watch the Texas manager take away runs by calling for a suicide squeeze--twice--that turned into a double play?  Dumb.  Just plain dumb. 

Of course, by your standards Francona was even dumber in the 4th when he let Salty swing away instead of doing the smart thing--bunt Reddick over to 2d.  You were no doubt very disappointed when Salty tied the game. 

You need to relocate your head from whatever dark place it's in and get it into the game. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Hey, dipstick, did you just watch the Texas manager take away runs by calling for a suicide squeeze--twice--that turned into a double play? Dumb. Just plain dumb.

I'm not sure if that is fair max

oh yeah the dipstick part is

but is it fair to blame the mgr for the guy poping it up

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Never played t ball or little league because they didn't have them where I was.  And don't call me son. 

I get your point, all right.  You think the only measure of a good manager is bunting as often as possible.  I will agree that sometimes bunting works, but the Sox follow the Bill James reasoning, which is that bunting, even when it is successful, is usually a waste of an out. 

Today we saw the team that bunts less score 12 runs and the team that bunts more score 7.  More to the point that suicide squeeze, attempted not once but twice, killed a Texas rally which in the end turned out to be a significantly bad move. 

You simply over-reacted to the loss Friday night--pure and simple.  In that game, in case you didn't notice, the Sox only got 2 hits, which makes it kind of hard to drive people in when no one's on base to be bunted over.  Also, Texas scored 10 runs, largely unaided by bunts, and were unbeatable. 

You simply decided to blame Francona for a loss that was caused by very weak hitting and very poor pitching. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: SO, DOWN 6-ZIP.... DIFFERENCE BEING, AT OFFENSE THAT IS NOT AGAINST MIXING SMALL WITH A STRONG OFFENSE:
    Never played t ball or little league because they didn't have them where I was.  And don't call me son.  I get your point, all right.  You think the only measure of a good manager is bunting as often as possible.  I will agree that sometimes bunting works, but the Sox follow the Bill James reasoning, which is that bunting, even when it is successful, is usually a waste of an out.  Today we saw the team that bunts less score 12 runs and the team that bunts more score 7.  More to the point that suicide squeeze, attempted not once but twice, killed a Texas rally which in the end turned out to be a significantly bad move.  You simply over-reacted to the loss Friday night--pure and simple.  In that game, in case you didn't notice, the Sox only got 2 hits, which makes it kind of hard to drive people in when no one's on base to be bunted over.  Also, Texas scored 10 runs, largely unaided by bunts, and were unbeatable.  You simply decided to blame Francona for a loss that was caused by very weak hitting and very poor pitching. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Francona critics think the only strategy in all of baseball is bunting.

Epstein critics can have all their complaints paraphrased and combined in to one all-purpose whine: "Epstein wastes millions of dollars signing free agent players who have performed throughout their entire careers and pays them commensurate with their peers!! How clueless!!!"

Remember years back, when announcers on nationally televised games used to comment on how intelligent Red Sox fans were?  Either those days are long gone, or the fans in other cities are a bunch of Neanderthals who can barely carve their names in the ground with a stick...

Sections
Shortcuts