So far, two earlier big time chokes by Napoli, then Peavy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

So far, two earlier big time chokes by Napoli, then Peavy

Napoli looked at two hanging curves up in the zone and in the middle for strikes 2 and 3 with the bases loaded.  Then Peavy gets an 0-2 count on Jeter, who is not yet hitting well, and walks him to bring up Cano with the bases loaded. 

This game is a long way from over, but these veterans did everything possible to let the Yankees back in, and I didn't eve  mention Peavy getting a bunt that was clearly Lavarnway's. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: So far, two earlier big time chokes by Napoli, then Peavy

He nibbled with Jeter for no reason to get to Cano. Dumb.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I think this sad post was a bigger choke job.... Watch and enjoy the game kiddo and back away from the ledge...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

max, you don't seem the type that should be starting threads during games.  When the games are over you're a much better poster.  Leave this premature and reactionary stuff for ADG.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Napoli looked at two hanging curves up in the zone and in the middle for strikes 2 and 3 with the bases loaded.  Then Peavy gets an 0-2 count on Jeter, who is not yet hitting well, and walks him to bring up Cano with the bases loaded. 

This game is a long way from over, but these veterans did everything possible to let the Yankees back in, and I didn't eve  mention Peavy getting a bunt that was clearly Lavarnway's. 

Perhaps you might join the game thread....I'm pretty sure they'll be many that will wallow in the myre with you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Game threads are often about everything but the game.

I stand by my OP because, reactive though it is, it is accurate about what those two did.  I also said this game is a long way from over.  Great escape by peavy in the 4th, getting Suzuki on a K.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I think this sad post was a bigger choke job.... Watch and enjoy the game kiddo and back away from the ledge...

I was doing something in the kitchen.  I come back to this thread and thought we were getting blown out.  Somehow, despite all the choking, we are still within striking distance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Since this is a faux game thread, it occurs to me that the left side of the Yankees infield doesn't have much range.  Nice.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Also interesting.  Nova goes 4 innings, and Giardi already has his 2d and 3d relievers warming up.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Sounds like you'd be complaining if your team went 162-0. Players and Mgrs can't do the perfect thing every time, even if the player is Babe Ruth. There's also the opposition.

BTW, Ruth made the last out of the '26 WS on a Caught Stealing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

max is usually on the reasonable side.  I get messed up when I watch the Sox play the Yankees too.  It's intense.  I just try to avoid posting.  I went ballistic about Dempster when he hit A-Rod.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

max is usually on the reasonable side.  I get messed up when I watch the Sox play the Yankees too.  It's intense.  I just try to avoid posting.  I went ballistic about Dempster when he hit A-Rod.

That was pretty dumb; but in terms of the standings, RS were a good enough team to overcome it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Is this the same Peavey who has a 5 hitter in the 7th????

I also see that you think the hitter should get a hit when you think they should \

Why no respect for the opposing pitcher and catcher for setting things up and winning the battle????

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

As did I.  I criticized two bad plays, not the team as a whole, and they were bad plays.  if you are a righty pitcher with a good curve or slider, you own Napoli.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

I also see that you think the hitter should get a hit when you think they should \

Why no respect for the opposing pitcher and catcher for setting things up and winning the battle????

It's 3 runs now and could easily be 4 with no outs and his other man on third.  He pitched well overall, no question.  He just didn't have enough to go out for the 7th.

A real difference in management styles because Farrell is going with one reliever so far and risking the ball game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Jim,

I can't give them too much credit when Napoli is near the top in K's in MLB and is especially vulnerable to breaking balls.

4 runs now charged to Peavy.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Shift  against Granderson sure worked great.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now we are down to one play sample size definitive judgements.

Peavy has pitched great for us.

Napoli is in the hottest 1/3rd players in MLB. (65th out of 228 in OPS over the last 30 days).

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Now we are down to one play sample size definitive judgements.

Peavy has pitched great for us.

Napoli is in the hottest 1/3rd players in MLB. (65th out of 228 in OPS over the last 30 days).

Sox4ever

Nonsense.  I was commenting on what happened and, limited to that alone, was correct.  Overall I have recognized and commented on Peavys value to the team.  This did not prevent him from letting Jeter off the hook and bringing up the much, much better hitter, Cano, with the bases loaded.  As for Napoli, like the movie title says, he has trouble with the curve and everyone knows it.  I no doubt overreacted, but he just looked at hanging curve balls, fat pitches, not pitches on the corners.  

When it's September inYankee stadium, it's time to raise your game a little.  

I dont really fault Farrell for sending peavy out, but do question sending Thornton out first with 2 on and no outs in the 7th.  He has one hold and one loss for the season and is not reliable.  

Finally, with the horses out of the barn, Breslow, who is reliable, gets to pitch.  7 pitches, 3 outs.  not all the blame can be put on Farrell, not by a long shot.  He simply has a lousy bullpen, but I think he could have managed it better.

Sections
Shortcuts