So Far, Why is a near 200 Million Dollar Payroll Still Under.500?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

So Far, Why is a near 200 Million Dollar Payroll Still Under.500?

The good news is it's early May. Looking at a month and change is not a pretty picture, which is why this is still under .500. But part of that is the horrible start.

This team has only one everyday position superstar, AGon. It has two stars in Youk and Pedroia who are coming off of injuries and have yet to return to peak performance levels from recent years.

The corner OF has an aging Drew and the very embarrassing start for Crawford, who is paid like a superstar but will never, ever be one. His swing is ugly and he has high mileage from playing in the big leagues with the antithesis of a graceful stride.

Ortiz is aging out but is having one of his best starts in years.

Offensively, I have no worries that this team will be one of the leading offensive teams in baseball.

Now, let us move to the soft belly issue that was missed by the bad pundits and giddy fan base during the pre-season. A soft belly defense up the middle and a starting pitching staff that appears to be on a better track but is still carrying the same lard profiles of a year ago that were very embarrassing perfomers. Beckett appears to be headed toward one of his good years, but Lackey is continuing to be about as embarrassing as it gets. DiceK has shown recent improved form, but is not reliable for more than a bottom side of the rotation. Buch has not adjusted to VMart leaving, but appears to be starting to adjust. Lester looks solid again, despite his most recent sub-par outing.

Starting pitching and a soft belly up the middle has been sinking the team for years. Ellsbury, Scutaro, now Lowrie, and Varitek and Salty are certainly near the bottom of the league in defensive ability. AGon was a must young superstar acquisition, but neither he nor Crawford changed one iota the weak up the middle defense that the Red Sox have.

Tonight, Varitek was embarrassingly bad behind the plate. He is not even close to a big league defensive catcher anymore, and hasn't been for years. Salty is also quite poor, but perhaps maturity and experience will bring improvement. Ellsbury, despite the point to point speed, plays a deep CF and leaves a massive circle up the middle. He is so poor at running routes he plays deep to give himself extra time to adjust going side to side, avoids having to run as much to his rear, and is unable to keep his upper body quiet when he runs. He has a little league arm. Lowrie and/or Scutaro are 2nd basemen with poor range, slow releases and low velocity on the throws.

This was known for years, yet almost nothing has been done to address it. One would think that Crawford was this needle moving contract, but it did absolutely zero to address a weak defensive middle. Iglesias can't come soon enough.  

Offensively, aggregate season long, I have no worries. 

The starting pitching staff does not have a dominant starter like Pedro in his prime, Felix and Roy. It does have quality depth potential. 

The good news is that a good and healthy starting pitching staff season can take this team to the top, with the soft belly. The bad news is that it will have to be really good or this team is going nowhere.  

I really love what Varitek has done for the Red Sox, but last night was a testimonial that he can't throw, can't hit, doesn't block balls well, so that leaves game calling. He wasn't very good on that, last night, either. Pretty simple move to add the first good defensive catcher to the active roster. If Varitek stays on the roster, and if Wakefield has, he will too, the Red Sox are going to have some pretty ugly catching incidents unless they add a good defensive catcher to the active roster. With Varitek, it's almost essential. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank@27Rings. Show Frank@27Rings's posts

Re: So Far, Why is a near 200 Million Dollar Payroll Still Under.500?

Still searching for .500.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyBoston4. Show DeweyBoston4's posts

$202 mil. (Yankees) is closer to $200 mil. than $174 Mil. (Red Sox).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Some very good points.  Pedroia, a gold glover, didn't try hard enough on those three Toronto dingers given up by Lester and, wait for it, Bard.   Ditto Lowrie and Ellsbury and Salty.  You're pointing fingers at the wrong guys. 

Lester killed us last night, plain and simple.  Then Bard threw salt on the carcass.  Pedroia and Youk, both good fielders, ain't doing much on offense and didn't again last night. 

The Yankees are leading the AL East because they are knocking the cover off the ball.  Granderson is a fantastic centerfielder primarily because he already has 11 dingers. 

You want a good defensive shortstop?  He's already here and his name is Iglesias.  Who cares if he can't hit a lick?  You want to dump Pedroia?  Plenty of other teams would take the 2008 AL MVP in a heart beat.  And I'm sure the Athletics would willingly exchange the great one, Coco Crisp, for lousy, stinking, clueless Jacoby Ellsbury--in a Boston minute. 

The starting pitching is inconsistent, granted, but we have already seen some good games by all five of them and even Wakefield.  I think Lester, Beckett, and Buchholz are close to as good a troika as any team in MLB has--last night notwithstanding.  And Matsuzaka could be pretty good this year--we'll see. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc52jc. Show jc52jc's posts

Put the best possible roster together... that would be the normal way to build a winning team! wakefield on the roster is not normal. targeting specific starts against weaker hitting teams to get wakefield his " W " s ( Seattle, Minnesota ).. Seattle last year.. first game after the All-Star game!( Boston Red Sox team record in the last 48 wakefield games is 11 wins & 37 losses... including 26 starts... 5.67.. ERA ) This is an disfunctional team... " There is no way... zero... ( like I said 10 games earlier before wakefield's 2 starts )
    this team even sniffs the postseason "... 89 wins... 73 losses!
    Its not fair to Red Sox Nation to not put the best possible roster on the field! Its arrogant! Arrogance doesn't win games!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Iglesias starts tonite.  Let the "era" begin.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from theyaz. Show theyaz's posts

i can give you 5 reasons:

SLACKEY
    CRAWFORD
    DICE-K
    DREW
    no catcher

thanks THEO; you're usually better than this.LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

"Crawford, who is paid like a superstar but will never, ever be one."

Wow, another nostril-damn-us ... and you are a Sox fan?   Root FOR your team, not against them .. what is wrong with some of you?  Go bad mouth players from the Yanks or Rays.   And take off that pink hat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from theyaz. Show theyaz's posts

actually the yanks and rays are both over .500.
    so i believe bad-mouthing an under .500 team with near 200 million dollar payroll is completely justified.

don't you ever get tired of complaining?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

Another person trying to be a writer for the globe! Your right Harness, there are some who raise my fire, I just met a new one! I will give it this, great grammar and spelling, thoughtless otherwise, but hey this could be a former wirter for the globe that seemed to vanish and be replaced by a classy Abraham guy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

In Response to Re: So Far, Why is a near 200 Million Dollar Payroll Still Under.500?:
    [QUOTE]Some very good points.  Pedroia, a gold glover, didn't try hard enough on those three Toronto dingers given up by Lester and, wait for it, Bard.   Ditto Lowrie and Ellsbury and Salty.  You're pointing fingers at the wrong guys.  Lester killed us last night, plain and simple.  Then Bard threw salt on the carcass.  Pedroia and Youk, both good fielders, ain't doing much on offense and didn't again last night.  The Yankees are leading the AL East because they are knocking the cover off the ball.  Granderson is a fantastic centerfielder primarily because he already has 11 dingers.  You want a good defensive shortstop?  He's already here and his name is Iglesias.  Who cares if he can't hit a lick?  You want to dump Pedroia?  Plenty of other teams would take the 2008 AL MVP in a heart beat.  And I'm sure the Athletics would willingly exchange the great one, Coco Crisp, for lousy, stinking, clueless Jacoby Ellsbury--in a Boston minute.  The starting pitching is inconsistent, granted, but we have already seen some good games by all five of them and even Wakefield.  I think Lester, Beckett, and Buchholz are close to as good a troika as any team in MLB has--last night notwithstanding.  And Matsuzaka could be pretty good this year--we'll see. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Amen Max, Im getting ready to go on a tirade on this person, but I digress is there a point to the pointless?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Sox are 15-8 in the last 23.....thats .650 ball which would translate into 103 wins. 89-94 wins still seems reasonable

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: So Far, Why is a near 200 Million Dollar Payroll Still Under.500?:
    [QUOTE]Sox are 15-8 in the last 23.....thats .650 ball which would translate into 103 wins. 89-94 wins still seems reasonable
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

That's the thing... it DOES seem reasonable.  In spite of this horrible start, it DOES SEEM REASONABLE that the Sox will make the playoffs. 

Here's what's got to happen, without pointing fingers at anyone because nearly everyone is to blame.  This team has got to start hitting better with RISP!  They can't get to 90+ wins by leaving a dozen people on base each game.

I'm aware that Bill James has said that the ability of players to hit in the clutch is more a matter of perception than reality, that most players will hit ~their normal average regardless of the circumstances, but it appears that most players on this team are currently way below their BA with RISP. 

Anyone got the numbers to confirm or refute that?

Sections
Shortcuts