So how many posters have complained all the way to the end?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: So how many posters have complained all the way to the end?

It is just  a stat, one which sox fans embraced in 2004.  Obviously winning the division, as unimportant as it hs become, is a nice perk, as long as the sox go all the way.  If not, the division flag that goes up in fenway looks pretty stupid.

When a team wins the ws without the divisioin title or home field advantage, that angle is hyped up and fans seem to like it just as well.

No doubt that, all things being equal, everyone wants best record.  And no doubt in my mind that even guys like Pumpsie, who wants best record, also wants all our guys in good health.  It is really more a question of how much health and rest you want versus how much it reduces our chance at HFA for one game.

If you think about it, the only way it matters is if we get to the ALCS, if Oakland gets to the ALCS, and if the series goes to game 7.  At absolute best, it is a 1-5 chance, and probably closer to 1-10.

So we started with a 1-16 chance of Oakland winning HFA, reduced to 1-14 by not playing Papi, to obtain the HFA, that has a 1-10 chance of making any difference at all, that would reduce our chance of winning G7 by maybe 20%.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

1? 2? 3? 4?

I have yet to see Bill-806 do anything other than complain about Ortiz and have yet to note one positve thread or post on his part. 

pumpsie? He has had a few positve observations...

I cannot think of anyone else though I am unfamiliar with all the posters here.

Did you see all the whining on the game thread yesterday before the game, ripping Farrell for the lineup because it wasn't the "best lineup." As it turned out, the Sox had already clinched best record by the time the game started.

Farrell didn't know we  had clinched HFA when he submitted his lineup. HFA is huge, make no mistake. Failing to go all out for HFA would, IMO, have been a huge mistake that could have cost us a trip to the WS.

FWIW, the wildcard wins the WSC more often than the best record in BB.

So does this mean you would have preferred we entered the playoffs as the wild card? You strive to put your team in the best possible position to win; it doesn't always work out. Home field ADVANTAGE is called an advantage for a reason. Most sane people don't look at the  fact that the WC has won more WS than the team with the best record in baseball and strive to enter as the WC.

[/QUOTE]

Althlough history does show that home field advantage is not really the advantage we all ant it to be.  Let's face it - the Extemely Hot Pitcher Advantage is far, far better.  But not as controllable...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i complained about two things...

doubront and morales....i can't stand even looking ay them anymore...but I LOVE MY RED SOX!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It's not really fair to Bill to say he has had no positive threads or posts.  He gets pretty happy when the Sox are going well.

I don't know why but burrito likes to bash bill.  The rest of us have pretty much moved on, I wish he would too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

It's not really fair to Bill to say he has had no positive threads or posts.  He gets pretty happy when the Sox are going well.

Yes, but that won't stop those posters who like to complain about other posters all the time: Breidey, Burrito, Pike, Four B's, and a few others. True, like all posters, not all their posts are preoccupied with labeling and condemning other posters, but they do waste an inordinate amount of time doing so while they beat their collective chests in an unwarranted exhibition of false righteousness.
    For my part, I think this team has FAR exceeded what I thought they could do. Even if they lose they will have improved a remarkable 28 wins over last year. I could not find the record for this sort of thing, but this has got to be close. Many of the individual players have also exceeded my expectations: Lester, Carp, Victorino, Uehara....to name just a few. And while I would certainly like a ring as much as anyone here, I see the season as already a smashing success. The rest is gravy.

[/QUOTE]

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

So does this mean you would have preferred we entered the playoffs as the wild card? You strive to put your team in the best possible position to win; it doesn't always work out. Home field ADVANTAGE is called an advantage for a reason. Most sane people don't look at the  fact that the WC has won more WS than the team with the best record in baseball and strive to enter as the WC.

It means youhave a plan and you stick to it.  All things being equal, the A's had a 1-16 chance of tying us.  Resting Papi against a lefty probably doesn't change that by almost anything.  Instead of 2*2*2*2, it might be more like 2*2*2*1.7, so instaed of it being 1-16, it is more like 1-114.

Sometimes you have have to allow for some amount of risk.  We're talking about a kid with no health issues.  We're talking about someone with heel/achilles issues who is 37.

Resting anyone that is injured seems like a no-brainer to me.

"all things being equal"? What does that mean? Things are NOT equal in baseball. Thats why the Red Sox are in the playoffs and the Astros are not. Its why the Orioles, who won the season series from us, finished with 14 more wins than the pathetic Mariners, who the A's are playing and throttling handily today. It was shere luck that the M's got a grand slam from a nobody to win the game vs the A's yesterday. The odds were that if we wanted HFA we were going to have to go out and get it ourselves, and that means placing our best lineup out there-and that contains Ortiz. HFA could have meant the difference between a trip to the WS and final trip to Oakland. Things worked out, but Farrell blundered in not putting out his best lineup to try to win yesterday's game. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

1? 2? 3? 4?

I have yet to see Bill-806 do anything other than complain about Ortiz and have yet to note one positve thread or post on his part. 

pumpsie? He has had a few positve observations...

I cannot think of anyone else though I am unfamiliar with all the posters here.

Did you see all the whining on the game thread yesterday before the game, ripping Farrell for the lineup because it wasn't the "best lineup." As it turned out, the Sox had already clinched best record by the time the game started.

Farrell didn't know we  had clinched HFA when he submitted his lineup. HFA is huge, make no mistake. Failing to go all out for HFA would, IMO, have been a huge mistake that could have cost us a trip to the WS.

FWIW, the wildcard wins the WSC more often than the best record in BB.

Althlough history does show that home field advantage is not really the advantage we all ant it to be.  Let's face it - the Extemely Hot Pitcher Advantage is far, far better.  But not as controllable...

You cannot control which pitcher is goijng to be hot. You can only control the variables that are in your control, and one of them is putting out the best possible lineup in an effort to win home field advantage to give yourself a little extra edge. As for Breidey's health concerns, I doubt one extra day is going to make much of a difference when in fact there will be a four day hiatus until we play again anyway. Any nagging injury that doesn't heal in four days is unlikely to heal in five.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

"all things being equal"? What does that mean? Things are NOT equal in baseball. Thats why the Red Sox are in the playoffs and the Astros are not. Its why the Orioles, who won the season series from us, finished with 14 more wins than the pathetic Mariners, who the A's are playing and throttling handily today. It was shere luck that the M's got a grand slam from a nobody to win the game vs the A's yesterday. The odds were that if we wanted HFA we were going to have to go out and get it ourselves, and that means placing our best lineup out there-and that contains Ortiz. HFA could have meant the difference between a trip to the WS and final trip to Oakland. Things worked out, but Farrell blundered in not putting out his best lineup to try to win yesterday's game. 

You missed it completely.  The 1 in16 remark has nothing to do with BA having a better record than Seattle.  The 1-16 has to do with 4 even-money events in a row going the wrong way.  2*2*2*2 = 16.  That makes the chances of the RS losing 2 staight and the As winning 2 straight 1:16.

And no good manager thinks only of one game.  They think long term.  If you only wanted to win one game, Uehara would be pitching 2-3 innings.

Again, just look at the numbers.  

The odds against us losing 2 and the As winning 2 are ~ 1:16.

The odds against Papi making the difference between winning and losing 1:5.

The odds against the As beating us in a playoff game 1:2.

The odds of us making it to the ALCS 6:10.

The odds of the As making it to the ALCS 6:10.

The odds of there being a game 7 in the ALCS 1:3.

So I figure the odds of Papi's absence causing us to miss going to the WS because we lost G7 at Oakland is about 1,350 to 1.  It's probably closer to 2,000-1, since I did not factor in the chances of playing the game at Oakland instead of at Fenway.

In conclusion, there is a reason why guys like Bill James and Farrell get paid millions to figure these things out.  They didn't accidently forget to start Papi.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

It's amazing that the season has ended and there are still complaints in THIS thread. Maybe it should have been titled "So many posters have complained all the way to the end...and beyond. Just sayin'.

And complaining about Farrell this season is hilarious. A first-year team manager who holds (sorry ties) the best record in baseball? Just goes to show you, some people can always find something to complain about. It probably has nothing to do with the Red Sox. JMO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"FWIW, the wildcard wins the WSC more often than the best record in BB."

That stat may or may not hold up but it's clearly now a major disadvantage to be the wild card as you now face an additional single elimination game. It's now so obviously better to be the division winner that there's no debating it. 

I have been thrilled with the run this team has made, and it's a very rootable team as well, not to mention all the come from behind wins. 

I don't expect this team to win the world series for me to call it a great year. At this point, I'm pretty darn happy no matter what happens in the post season. I would like to make it to the ALCS, but even an ALDS loss wouldn't taint the season for me - unless we got swept, that would be a buzz kill. As long as we don't get swept in the ALDS you will not hear another negative word from me about this team the rest of the season, and even if we do get swept I will have some praise as well even then.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

That stat may or may not hold up but it's clearly now a major disadvantage to be the wild card as you now face an additional single elimination game. It's now so obviously better to be the division winner that there's no debating it. 

I have been thrilled with the run this team has made, and it's a very rootable team as well, not to mention all the come from behind wins. 

I don't expect this team to win the world series for me to call it a great year. At this point, I'm pretty darn happy no matter what happens in the post season. I would like to make it to the ALCS, but even an ALDS loss wouldn't taint the season for me - unless we got swept, that would be a buzz kill. As long as we don't get swept in the ALDS you will not hear another negative word from me about this team the rest of the season, and even if we do get swept I will have some praise as well even then.

I'll agree with this post as should any Sox fan. For all the worrying spent on if we would even be contenders, add to the fact a first-year team manager, it's really unbelievable what they've been able to accomplish. I will never understand posters who can still find fault. You have to really wonder if all of this is making them happy...or not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from niton. Show niton's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll agree with this post as should any Sox fan. For all the worrying spent on if we would even be contenders, add to the fact a first-year team manager, it's really unbelievable what they've been able to accomplish. I will never understand posters who can still find fault. You have to really wonder if all of this is making them happy...or not.

[/QUOTE]

THere are those who will never allow success to deter their complaints.  For example, I offer the example of BOSOX1941, who, on grounds no one understood or believed in, felt Francona prevented the Sox from winning more than the 2 championships in his tenure.  No credit for anything he won, because, you know, those kind of things are such a given...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

THere are those who will never allow success to deter their complaints.  For example, I offer the example of BOSOX1941, who, on grounds no one understood or believed in, felt Francona prevented the Sox from winning more than the 2 championships in his tenure.  No credit for anything he won, because, you know, those kind of things are such a given...

2 in 8 years is huge.  If someone tells me we can continue to win twice every eight years, I'll sign on right now.

But we're not going to be hearing a lot from the Tito-haters this year.  Just a prediction.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

[QUOTE]

But someone should take it upon themselves to let Bill806 know they had a fine season. Guess I'll take that very heavy responsibility on my narrow aging shoulders. 

HEY BILL,

The Red Sox had the best record in MLB this year. Time for you and Dad to celebrate. 

CHEERS, 

HETCH

[/QUOTE]Thanks HETCH ......    "LET ME BE CLEAR", just for the record, DAD & BILL-806 are THRILLED at the season the SOX have had and we are looking forward to be BEN C's guest at Fenway for the playoffs & W S ........   We all worked together as Ben took "our plan" last October and put together a darn good team ......  J F did an outstanding job working the entire roster including the 3-A depth on the farm ..... This all came about because Ben had the audacity to "TRANSFORM" the roster starting with the Doger/dump of "FAT-CAT BECKETTS & COMPANY"  What a move that was !!!   Oh yes, give "credit where credit is due" that "BIG PAPI" turned back the clock and had a very good year and managed to stay on the field.   Looking forward to a great series even better than 2004 & 07 ....  It would be great if we could have a 7 game series against the Dodger$ !!!!   But, as DAD would say .......  "SON, lets take one series/game at a time " !!!!     Go SOX !!!!!