So, John Farrell, Is Andrew Bailey Still the Closer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

So, John Farrell, Is Andrew Bailey Still the Closer?

If John Farrell continues to use this guy in the closer role, he's lost some serious marbles. Does anyone out there see anything positive with Bailey? It's becoming comical, his decisions with Bailey and Middlebrooks. Enough already.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

Re: So, John Farrell, Is Andrew Bailey Still the Closer?

Middlebeooks needs to go back to Pawtucket. ...Bailey just needs to go

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to judy2006's comment:

Middlebeooks needs to go back to Pawtucket. ...Bailey just needs to go

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It's pretty obvious he is not and that Farrell will not let him close again. 

There is more at stake here than wins and losses.  A closer who fails repeatedly can really damage team morale because he throws away a lot of hard work when a team gets to the 9th inning with a slim lead--the excellent start by Lackey, the great inning by Uehara, the 2 rbi's by Ortiz and 1 by Ellsbury, the triple by Iglesias, the good plays in the field.  All for nought.  Last time at least he gave up the dinger to the leadoff guy.  This time he decided to walk the leadoff guy so that the dinger could win the game instead of tie it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I posted on this forum Tuesday night that is was just a matter of time before he ghacked up a big one, and there would be no one there to save his sorry hide. Next time out, thats when it was. This bum give up a JACK every time he goes out there, just like clockwork. No way, NO FRIG-GIN WAY he gets the ball again next time theres a save chance. Who else? Anyone, anyone out there but him. Time to go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Farell said on the post game he will make a move, possibly Miller. It would be discussed, as a staff

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

And the annoying thing is, its not even close when he goes out there. I mean, its one, two pitches andnthe other team has scored. Its a leadoff walk, then a HR without even working up a sweat. This guy is bad news, no way I trust him with anyting after the 7th inning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

And the annoying thing is, its not even close when he goes out there. I mean, its one, two pitches andnthe other team has scored. Its a leadoff walk, then a HR without even working up a sweat. This guy is bad news, no way I trust him with anyting after the 7th inning.

Tough loss, exam but may be a blessing in disquise. If he was up and down, would make it more diffucult to make a decision and move. Cant keep getting good starts from the rotation, only to cough it up in the 9th. Enough

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Farell said on the post game he will make a move, possibly Miller. It would be discussed, as a staff

They're going to bdc.com for ideas, JBay, and they just may come across my Closer Tryout thread.  Farrell & co. will have an Archimedes-like epiphany.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Great game Bailey gave away.  He just can't close anymore, he is a middle reliever or 8th inning guy at best.  He actually did a nice job in that roll early in the season.  But who on this roster can do it?  I don't see a guy ready to step up.  My choice would be Taz only because he doesn't walk anyone and he has good stuff.  Miller would be the worse move in the history of closers, he walks everyone. Thoughts?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Mchampion's comment:

Great game Bailey gave away.  He just can't close anymore, he is a middle reliever or 8th inning guy at best.  He actually did a nice job in that roll early in the season.  But who on this roster can do it?  I don't see a guy ready to step up.  My choice would be Taz only because he doesn't walk anyone and he has good stuff.  Miller would be the worse move in the history of closers, he walks everyone. Thoughts?

Millers ERA has been under 2, since April. He's figured out whatever wasn't working. He's also intimdating at 6'8. I'd give him a shot

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

They're going to bdc.com for ideas, JBay, and they just may come across my Closer Tryout thread.  Farrell & co. will have an Archimedes-like epiphany.  

LOL, sheriif. They could do worseTongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Tough loss, exam but may be a blessing in disquise. If he was up and down, would make it more diffucult to make a decision and move. Cant keep getting good starts from the rotation, only to cough it up in the 9th. Enough

A blessing in disguise would have been if Bailey gave up a solo homerun, walked the bases loaded, and then Miller came in to strike out the side.  This would have been followed by Red Sox heroics in the top of the 10th, and either Miller or Taz finishing with a clean inning afterwards.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even Mr. Closer By Committee looks better than Bailey.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

So far it looks like Farrell displays the same Achilles heel player loyalty streak Francona had.

Middlebrooks and Bailey should have been 'demoted' weeks ago.  But game after game, it's the same nonsense.  its one thing if your defense is stellar and helps the team win games, but that's not the case.

He's not helping Middlebrooks with his confidence and certainly not the team by leaning on a closer who cant close at this point.

grow some already.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

Uehara for closer.  Should have finished it tonight.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Even Mr. Closer By Committee looks better than Bailey.

Sox4ever

Closer Tryouts, Moonie.  Closer Tryouts.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

How is he an 8th inning guy? You would put him in if the Sox were up by a run or two in the 8th? No. He's a mop up, early inning guy now. No more of the BS comments from Bailey, the blah blah blah.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I dont mind seeing a different guy every night if need be, that woud take the pressure off all of them individually. "You have to close THIS game, but you might not have to the next game". etc. until possibly one guy emerges above the others and makes himself the answer. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Tazawa or Uehara.  Miller would be scary with the control issues he has.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Wrong. Baileybum needs to be buried very deeply somewhere. He is not even middle relief material any more. I would waive him. As for Miller, he is no closer because, as you note, he has no control. Taz is the logical choice, though that weakens our already weak pen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Maybe Alex Wilson.  He can't be worse than Beetle Bailey.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I'm one of these guys who always sees the glass as half full.  But when I logged onto Gamecast in the ninth and saw Uehara there, I was elated.  Then it updated and I saw Bailey instead.  And exactly what I feared happened.  I just don't want him to close anymore.  And like I said, I usually don't care, unless it is bad, but with Bailey I've got no good thoughts about him at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Wow---I'd rather have the starter go another inning fatigued or not than have Bailey pitch. It was only Gomes walk off that saved us when he blew the lead the other night. If we need keep him, do it in middle relief when we are up or down by 3-4 runs. 

I'd even prefer Alex Wilson and he's iffy or have Tazara and Uehara pitch 2 innings and do the closing. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Millers ERA has been under 2, since April. He's figured out whatever wasn't working. He's also intimdating at 6'8. I'd give him a shot

Unless he completely folds under closer pressure, and we all know thats a distinct possibility. He isn't exactly made of iron between the ears. 

Sections
Shortcuts