So Long for now, IGGY......"We hardly knew thee" !!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: So Long for now, IGGY......

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

This is an amusing debate.

At least its about baseball rather than which poster is a jerk and which is not. I have no problems with Softlaw as long as he debates baseball here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

What I like is how you value the defense at SS. No doubt, slugging is the most important part of being an everyday SS. S. Drew has been one of the best starting SS's in the business for a long time. Just ask all those GM who lost the bidding war to get this guy on a one year contract.

Decisions on the starting SS should be based on OPS, no doubt.

Ehhhhh......you know.  I agreed that Iggy should keep the job and Drew could spot start or play some 1B, DH,etc......but considering that you have been wrong on EVERYTHING so far this year.....I have now changed my mind and CAN'T WAIT for the Drew Era to begin!!!!  Go STEVEN DREW!!!!!!!!  Hey Nostradamus....can you do me a favor and say that I will NEVER win the Powerball??

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

You will never win the powerball or an IQ test

Thanks BUDDY!!!!  Buying my own island next week!!  BTW....thanks... I hope I never 'win an IQ test'....not even sure how one does that.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

frustrating

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

This is an amusing debate.

Like a clown?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

frustrating

...because Iglesias is getting went to AAA, or that the Sox aren't as bad as you told everyone they would be?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Pumpsie....you keep saying Iggy has to go to AAA to "prove" he can hit consistently..I am curious as to what #'s you think he needs to put up to "prove it"?...I think you noted 250 PA.....last year in AAA in his last 251 PA in 56 games resulting in a .270 Average, .321 OBP, .305 SLG, he walked 17 times while striking 28 times...he stole 8 bases, scored 25 runs, had 13 RBI's  with 8 2B and 4 SF and 3 Sacrifice bunts.....which of those #'s need to be better in the 250 PA you want him to do in Pawtucket this year, that would prove to you he isnow miraculously ready? Seems to me that type of production his more than enough to expect from a defensive wiz at SS.....but if you disagree please provide specifics.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Pumpsie....you keep saying Iggy has to go to AAA to "prove" he can hit consistently..I am curious as to what #'s you think he needs to put up to "prove it"?...I think you noted 250 PA.....last year in AAA in his last 251 PA in 56 games resulting in a .270 Average, .321 OBP, .305 SLG, he walked 17 times while striking 28 times...he stole 8 bases, scored 25 runs, had 13 RBI's  with 8 2B and 4 SF and 3 Sacrifice bunts.....which of those #'s need to be better in the 250 PA you want him to do in Pawtucket this year, that would prove to you he isnow miraculously ready? Seems to me that type of production his more than enough to expect from a defensive wiz at SS.....but if you disagree please provide specifics.

if he could put up those numbers in the MLB that would be A-OK but he will not. Not in 2013 anyway.

MOST prospects go to AAA (or any MiLB level for that matter) and prove that they can play the game well there before they are promoted. Iggy has yet to do that on the offensive front so he should not be in the MLB until he does so. For me, i think he should hit .300 with an OPS of .700ish over 300 ABs before i'm ready to give him a long look in the bigs.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

if he could put up those numbers in the MLB that would be A-OK but he will not. Not in 2013 anyway.

And you know that , How?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

And you know that , How?

If a guy can barely handle AAA pitching he doesn't magically catch on when he first gets to the bigs.

If your playing Pac-Man on easy and score a million points i don't expect you to score 2 million when you start playing on hard.

also, you missed part of my previous post.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

MOST prospects go to AAA (or any MiLB level for that matter) and prove that they can play the game well there before they are promoted. Iggy has yet to do that on the offensive front so he should not be in the MLB until he does so. For me, i think he should hit .300 with an OPS of .700ish over 300 ABs before i'm ready to give him a long look in the bigs.

.300/.700?

That will not likely happen in the next few years.

The kid his .266/.318 in AAA last year and has been improving. he bunts and runs well, which helps his offense be better than his BA and OPS show.

I have said, I'd be happy with .220 with his glove, but I think he could hit .240-.260 in 2013 in MLB with an OBP close to .290. That OBP is not far from Drew's career .328 mark and much closer to his last 2 year marks (309 & 317).

Only 1 MLB SS had a BA over 300 last year. Only 4 over 290 and 8 over .280 (with 400+ PAs).

A .700 OPS would have placed you 12th in MLB for a SS.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

.300/.700?

The kid his .266/.318 in AAA last year and has been improving. he bunts and runs well, which helps his offense be better than his BA and OPS show.

I have said, I'd be happy with .220 with his glove, but I think he could hit .240-.260 in 2013 in MLB with an OBP close to .290. That OBP is not far from Drew's career .328 mark and much closer to his last 2 year marks (309 & 317).

Only 1 MLB SS had a BA over 300 last year. Only 4 over 290 and 8 over .280 (with 400+ PAs).

those are AAA numbers i wants him to get. not MLB. and as long as he is close to .300/.700 it's close enough for me.

really, i could care less about the BA as long as his AAA OPS is ~.700 over 300ABs that would prove to me he has progressed enough offensively not to be a liability in the MLB lineup.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

but he will not. Not in 2013 anyway.

He's put up good numbers, but he won't get the chance in 2013 because of S. Drew.

As for 2013, the narrative will change and these same posters won't even bring up what Iggy's not doing in 2013. They'll start claiming "he's ready now, I think".

Right.  And we all know Iglesias' .600BABIP on ground balls is sustainable.  As is his 7% line drive rate.

Meanwhile, Drew hit line drives 27% of the time on BIP last year..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

And you know that , How?

If a guy can barely handle AAA pitching he doesn't magically catch on when he first gets to the bigs.

If your playing Pac-Man on easy and score a million points i don't expect you to score 2 million when you start playing on hard.

I don' see any previous posts, but I ask again....what #'s does he have to put up....does he have to hit.300 at AAA?....does he need to have a .400 OBP?....why are the #'s I noted Ok if he could do that at the ML level, but barely handling AAA pitching?  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I think Gomes and Drew will platoon at DH and Iggy and Drew will also share times at SS at the same time until Ortiz is in the lineup.  All three, Gomes, Drew, and Iggy, will get a rest time to time.  Upon Drew's return, JBJ will be sent down to AAA to create a spot for Drew.  

so you want them to carry 4 middle IF'ers? Drew, Iggy, Ciriaco, and pedey

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

And you know that , How?

I don' see any previous posts, but I ask again....what #'s does he have to put up....does he have to hit.300 at AAA?....does he need to have a .400 OBP?....why are the #'s I noted Ok if he could do that at the ML level, but barely handling AAA pitching?  

i added it right after i posted this: "if he could put up those numbers in the MLB that would be A-OK but he will not. Not in 2013 anyway."

but i didn't edit it quick enough before you quoted it. the full post was this:

"if he could put up those numbers in the MLB that would be A-OK but he will not. Not in 2013 anyway.

MOST prospects go to AAA (or any MiLB level for that matter) and prove that they can play the game well there before they are promoted. Iggy has yet to do that on the offensive front so he should not be in the MLB until he does so. For me, i think he should hit .300 with an OPS of .700ish over 300 ABs before i'm ready to give him a long look in the bigs."

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

.300/.700?

In his last three full healthy seasons, Drew averaged an .800 OPS.  He's 30 years old and he's shown this Spring that his ankle is healthy - why would we assume he would perform closer to his injury-riddled seasons than his healthy?  That .800 OPS would have been 3rd among all SSs last year, and would be about .200 points higher than Iglesias's AAA best.  I know Drew is no Iglesias with the glove but can anybody's glove compensate for .200 OPS?  Why don't you argue starting Christian Vazquez at Catcher?  It's the same principle.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The other thing to keep in mind is our #1 prospect is the starting SS in Portland, and a month from now if he's crushing the ball, we're going to hear rumbling about a call-up, especially if Iglesias is struggling at the plate.  There are going to be some FO moves, and to make the right moves, you need to see your players play.  That means they play where they can play every day, and since you can't keep Drew in the minors, Iglesias has to.  All three will play every day (not to mention Marrero who is off to a torrid start in Salem), and in a couple of months, those moves will begin, whether it's moving Drew to another team, or moving Bogaerts to another position, or even trading one of our young short-stops.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

.300/.700?

In his last three full healthy seasons, Drew averaged an .800 OPS.  He's 30 years old and he's shown this Spring that his ankle is healthy - why would we assume he would perform closer to his injury-riddled seasons than his healthy?  That .800 OPS would have been 3rd among all SSs last year, and would be about .200 points higher than Iglesias's AAA best.  I know Drew is no Iglesias with the glove but can anybody's glove compensate for .200 OPS?  Why don't you argue starting Christian Vazquez at Catcher?  It's the same principle.

This line-up could also use some left handed pop right now, especially with Ortiz out.  It's not the end of the world to send Iglesias back to Pawtucket with some confidence for a little while...Drew seems to be very underrated on this board and the stats are clearly presented in the "glass is half empty" way to support Iglesias.  Someone who covered his career in AZ was on WEEI about a month ago and raved about him, especially his defense.  If Iglesias continues to hit in Pawtucket and Drew plays well in Boston, then the Sox will obviously have options, which is a good thing.  For now, since Papi is out and the Sox will face more righties, another left handed bat can't hurt...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I think this is another debatable point with legit points on either side. 

I tend to fall on the side of "play Iggy," but that's because I place a high value on a defensive shortstop. Historically, the Sox have not and have generally shown an obsession with offensive production at that position which has lead to some of the worst signings in recent Sox history (Renteria, Softy's pal Lugo). 

I keep hearing "you have to play Drew now that you've paid him." That's not the right argument. If you want to argue that he will give you more offensive production, maybe that's an argument for playing him. But not because you overvalued him. 

We'll see how this plays out, but right now it seems a missed opportunity to see what we have in Iggy.

25. This post has been removed.